ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread: CKLV Tournament Updates

So our 2 money wrestlers win, but the rest of the team underwhelmed. It is only December though and we should be getting a healthy Gravina hopefully in time for Rider in 2 weeks. JVB is frustrating to watch but can beat anyone just due to his funkiness. Grello, Glasgow and Colucci can hopefully make the Dance and maybe win a match or 2 in wrestlebacks. I'm not expecting anything out of 125, 141 or 197 this year.

Reactions: rugrapfan1
I don't know why anyone is surprised. People have unrealistic expectations based on the talent we have and what we've seen from them. We knew coming into this season that we had (i) 2 potential national champs in Suriano and Ashnault, (ii) fingers crossed for JVB and/or Gravina to breakthrough to AA, (iii) huge holes at 125, 141, 184 without Gravina and HWT, (iv) an undersized frosh at 165, and (v) average 174. Grello hasn't shown much to warrant any expectations. Correnti is really the only one underperforming and that's just based on him being an NCAA qualifier 2 seasons ago. He looks very sluggish and that may be due to trying to bulk up and then cutting back down. Boy that RS year was a waste too.
So Pagano just regresses it's OK. Correnti just regresses it's OK. Can't recruit a decent heavyweight it's OK. Grello hasn't seemed to progress it's OK. Van Brill doesn't even look close to where he left off last year but it's OK. Got it. We shouldn't have expectations that our wrestlers can get better because everything's A OK. It's not like they're wrestling AA's and losing, they're wrestling average wrestlers and losing.

His nose was bloodied in the semis. Kolezar. We underperformed as a team except for 2 champs. The rest of the team is not very good right now and I am sure changes will be made.

Reactions: ANewRU and koleszar
So Pagano just regresses it's OK. Correnti just regresses it's OK. Can't recruit a decent heavyweight it's OK. Grello hasn't seemed to progress it's OK. Van Brill doesn't even look close to where he left off last year but it's OK. Got it. We shouldn't have expectations that our wrestlers can get better because everything's A OK. It's not like they're wrestling AA's and losing, they're wrestling average wrestlers and losing.
The obviously imbalance suggests to me that we have a major problem recruiting and developing heavy or upper weights. Smith and Russo were good. However it is completely unacceptable for this program with the way it is building to continue to get shutout for top upper wrestlers. Someone explain how that isnt our upperweight coaches fault. Clearly they dont want to wrestle for him

How did Pagano regress wrestling up? PSU didn't let him walk because he was an AA. I acknowledged Correnti is the only regression or head scratcher, but many of his matches when he was an NCAA qualifier were close. As for JVB, just stop. He's always grand slam funk or looks like odd loss, but he's a blood round or potential low AA because of that.

His nose was bloodied in the semis. Kolezar. We underperformed as a team except for 2 champs. The rest of the team is not very good right now and I am sure changes will be made.
two champs is great. It is the clear disparity between lower and upper. If we had some good lower weights and some good upper weights that would be completely different. Same in recruiting. The expectations of this program are higher than what is being produced at the upper weights.

Is anyone concerned with the ending of Ashnault Match, Really late 2nd and 3rd of od you think he totally changed his tactics when he got the big lead? What worried me is those takedowns in 3rd looked very easy and he completely went into defense mode.

two champs is great. It is the clear disparity between lower and upper. If we had some good lower weights and some good upper weights that would be completely different. Same in recruiting. The expectations of this program are higher than what is being produced at the upper weights.
Not sure exactly where the line gets drawn between Lower and Upper but I think we recruit 125-165 fairly well. We are weak up top with exception of Janzer, Grello is a little above average (could be more if got more aggressive) and Turley coming in.

Is anyone concerned with the ending of Ashnault Match, Really late 2nd and 3rd of od you think he totally changed his tactics when he got the big lead? What worried me is those takedowns in 3rd looked very easy and he completely went into defense mode.

No, AA now wrestles like a smart European. Get the lead and then win.
Look at Miklus at Iowa St , he had the match won, which would have won theDual for ISU, and he got needlessly aggressive and reckless at end, it cost him the match and his team the Dual.

Not sure exactly where the line gets drawn between Lower and Upper but I think we recruit 125-165 fairly well. We are weak up top with exception of Janzer, Grello is a little above average (could be more if got more aggressive) and Turley coming in.

Janzer and Turley are certainly good and I would consider them upper. I dont want to overstate it. It just seems we have a major issue developing and recruiting upperweights relative to lower. I mean the season collucci has is yet to be determined however I dont think this porgram should be going years without a top 25 type heavyweight and we dont have a recruit coming in either. If it is a skwc issue then they need to put what ever money is required to get a top flight training wrestler. If it is the coach then he needs to go.

Rut psych ward
Saying the upper weights don’t want to wrestle for the coach is the dumbest thing ever posted on the board. Could not let that go. This is December 1. We had 2 champs in the best tourney in the country other than the NCAA in March. Our upper weights stunk out the place. Need better performance and better upper weights. They are the toughest weights to recruit and we need to do better.

Switch up the line Goody says.I guess we will see some changes coming up.

Up to now there hasn't been much difference between Lipari and MVB at 141, Pagano or Scott at 184, and Correnti and Wright at 197.
Not sure switching up will make a difference, but I guess he has to try something.
Getting Gravina back will help a lot. And we know Correnti can wrestle better as he showed his Freshman year, not sure why the slow start. And Colucci should win some bout too.
At 125- I wonder if Aguilar has his RS removed ?

Up to now there hasn't been much difference between Lipari and MVB at 141, Pagano or Scott at 184, and Correnti and Wright at 197.
Not sure switching up will make a difference, but I guess he has to try something.
Getting Gravina back will help a lot. And we know Correnti can wrestle better as he showed his Freshman year, not sure why the slow start. And Colucci should win some bout too.

I always thought we would see Aguilar this season. However, not sure of his weight/strength yet.

That #9 ranked 2016 recruiting class has been a complete whiff at this point. Washouts, transfers and underperforming.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Rut psych ward
Saying the upper weights don’t want to wrestle for the coach is the dumbest thing ever posted on the board. Could not let that go. This is December 1. We had 2 champs in the best tourney in the country other than the NCAA in March. Our upper weights stunk out the place. Need better performance and better upper weights. They are the toughest weights to recruit and we need to do better.
I am not taking about just the current wrestlers. I am talking about the fact the we havent brought in a top ranked heavyweight in how long? Clearly the lower and middle weights want to wrestle with or for donny. I indicated in my post that I would like an explanation other than the coach is the problem. Did you not read that, or do you just want to be an unhelpful? I am a relatively new fan, and indicated that there may be technical issues that more long time followers would know. I wasnt proclaiming things as if I knew them to be a fact. My point was I dont see how any comes to any other conclusion based on heavyweight and upper weight recruiting and development that it is behind the lower and middle weights. Unless the upper weight coach isnt a big factor in recruiting coaching heavywieghts? As I said I dont know for a fact how it works. Point remains looking at the information it is not dumb, not at all to look at our lower and middle weight success recently and question if there is an issue with heavyweights wanting to wrestle for our upper weight coach. All elite athletes are hard to recruit. So dont tell me that it is easy to get a recruit like aragona. I understand that there have been some issues with burn out, however that happens with all weights at some percentage. Schultz, Fernandes, certainly they are tough to get however I dont think it is acceptable for a program of our level to completely strike out at heavyweight multiple years with ranked heavyweights. If that and the status of our current ones is not attributable to the upper weight coach than please explain why. Again I dont know that it is. It is simply that the evidence suggests it is. Frankly to say to an observer that the evidence would lead to another thought is what is the dumbest thing posted. It may absolutely be inaccurate. It doesnt change how it looks. That was my point. I would like to hear your explanation for our stuggles not just early this season. thank you.

Last edited:
Your handle psych tells me all I need to know about you my friend because you are a new fan that we don’t need and should go take a hike. To call me that name and to start your reply with a vile cuss word also tells me all I need to know about you. You know know nothing about this sport or this team. So this is my last reply to someone disgusting that is not worth enlightening. I have been an active participant of this program for 60 years which I am sure is much longer than your age. Goodbye dear friend.

sorry for being disrespectful. Reading back I can see where you may have thought I was saying it as fact. You dont have to be so dramatic about bad words. There are no such thing. I know you are a great and long term fan. I found your response upsetting because I was genuinely wanting an explanation or opinion from someone like you for what you think is causing the overall upperweight issues.

I removed the rudeness. I was pissed off. Not really my style anyway. Do maintain that a casual fan and outsider would come to that as a reasonable analysis of our upperweight coaching. Maybe not that they dont want to wrestler for him. Just that he is the clear problem if one exists on the staff.

Where are the moderators?????? This Psycho needs a permanent time out!
They can ban me. I said it was rud and it wasnt necessary. I also think his response was wrong and took offense. When I was very clear that I may not have the full story. That reaction isnt appropriate from something of an elder statesmen to a relatively new fan basically wanting an explanation. It also was innacurate due to using a premise that I never proposed.

Calm down boys. It is not the end of the world. We need all fans and should welcome all opinions. This dialogue remind me of Iowa and Penn State fans. It wasn’t our best outing except for NS and AA. Let’s be open to all questions and opinions.

I removed the rudeness. I was pissed off. Not really my style anyway. Do maintain that a casual fan and outsider would come to that as a reasonable analysis of our upperweight coaching. Maybe not that they dont want to wrestler for him. Just that he is the clear problem if one exists on the staff.

Unfortunately I read your post before you edited it. It was a disturbing read.

Reactions: TRU2RU
They can ban me. I said it was rud and it wasnt necessary. I also think his response was wrong and took offense. When I was very clear that I may not have the full story. That reaction isnt appropriate from something of an elder statesmen to a relatively new fan basically wanting an explanation. It also was innacurate due to using a premise that I never proposed.

If u have questions...ask...politely!!! Don't come on here spouting off and then trying to hide behind being a newbie... We are still a relative newbie on the national scene for wrestling...12 years ago, this sport almost got cut!!! We were wrestling at the barn in front of 50-100 people ( most of them parents).. Now we have over 2500 season ticket holders and wrestling each match at the RAC... We are still way behind the resources of the top teams.. Each year we inch closer and closer... But we still have a ways to go!! It doesn't happen overnight... No-one is happy about the overall team performance outside of NS, and AA... But it is only Dec. 1... And NCAA wrestling at the end of the day is all about those 3 days in March... The rest of the season is about doing enough to get there!!! At the end of the day, this is still an individual sport with a team aspect to it!!

I loved the way our 2 horses looked but the rest of this team is in deep trouble. I love Goodale but Vanbrill getting back to normal as he put it in his interview scares me. If it wasn’t for 2 last sec pins we would have had 4 guys going 0-2. I just don’t see the upside that many see. And I understand the guys are in the room and working hard and are wonderful young men. It’s fair to say we seen what Grello is about. Correnti is not all of a sudden going to turn it around and knock off ranked guys. 125-141 are just not close to competing in the B1G. I was very excited for the transfer HWT but he is showing nothing so far. Dual meets are going to be rough rider and Princeton especially.

Unfortunately I read your post before you edited it. It was a disturbing read.
Outside of bad words which dont actually exist language is a meaningless code agreed on. There was nothing disturbing. I dont think that any fan or at least the majority would say there is an apparent imbalance between the success we are having recruiting and developing outside of upper weights. That points to the coach. To suggest that is anything but dumb. Now is a highly connected poster like wngabaraini has an explanation outside of just our level, that wouldnt explain disproportionally poor performance, than that is different and that is my real question. As said I overrracted to his response. And while I am relatively new I am not completely. I have been following the team for most of fgoodale . Just not as closely. Promote the skwc. I am fully behind this program being elite.

If u have questions...ask...politely!!! Don't come on here spouting off and then trying to hide behind being a newbie... We are still a relative newbie on the national scene for wrestling...12 years ago, this sport almost got cut!!! We were wrestling at the barn in front of 50-100 people ( most of them parents).. Now we have over 2500 season ticket holders and wrestling each match at the RAC... We are still way behind the resources of the top teams.. Each year we inch closer and closer... But we still have a ways to go!! It doesn't happen overnight... No-one is happy about the overall team performance outside of NS, and AA... But it is only Dec. 1... And NCAA wrestling at the end of the day is all about those 3 days in March... The rest of the season is about doing enough to get there!!! At the end of the day, this is still an individual sport with a team aspect to it!!
As mentioned I have been a fan for a while. I understand we are way away from osu psu however I think we are a top 20 program. As such we shoultopd not be striking out for a heavyweight and other upper weights in the top 20 range. Janzer and Turley seem solid. Still no ranked heavyweight for how long/ It isnt acceptable. Also I am glad about ns and ashnault of course that was never in question. Seeing the way ashnault has come back is fantastic.If talking about anything negative is a problem in a thread to celebrate that I accept it. However there never seems to be a problem combining negative comments in wrestling threads. I think it is the most dramatic. A wrestler loses one match there are comments about him not having it, Same with a win that is unexpected.

I loved the way our 2 horses looked but the rest of this team is in deep trouble. I love Goodale but Vanbrill getting back to normal as he put it in his interview scares me. If it wasn’t for 2 last sec pins we would have had 4 guys going 0-2. I just don’t see the upside that many see. And I understand the guys are in the room and working hard and are wonderful young men. It’s fair to say we seen what Grello is about. Correnti is not all of a sudden going to turn it around and knock off ranked guys. 125-141 are just not close to competing in the B1G. I was very excited for the transfer HWT but he is showing nothing so far. Dual meets are going to be rough rider and Princeton especially.
We aren't losing to Rider at home, especially with Gravina slated to come back. Princeton though I agree, be worried.

We aren't losing to Rider at home, especially with Gravina slated to come back. Princeton though I agree, be worried.

Agree Bigmatt, I cant believe how many are worried about Rider. This is not the Rider teams of the last few years. RU at home wins by about 10-13.
Princeton will be a closer one and not till February......we will have a better idea later in season.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT