ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread: CKLV Tournament Updates

Grello was getting a lot of flack on this board last year (I was a big supporter)... and I get it. But it's hard for a freshman to come in and be highly successful in the upper weights. Kid has great pedigree and the ability to take the next level. I see a bit more aggressiveness in him this year and after each big win his confidence will slowly improve. Not sure if he translates into an AA, but I think he will be solid for us in the coming years.

CORRENTI, PAGANO , AND MULLIGAN WHO QUIT. WHAT IS GOING ON W OUR UPPER WEIGHTS?

Ugh Correnti still looks to be in a daze. Losing 6-0. Didn't really try anything just rolled around the mat in a funk.

I feel like Correnti suffers from being a bad size for 197 and 285.
Yea but he did much better as an 18 yr. old frosh. and looked like a potential AA later in his career. Now as a 20 yr. old soph. looks like he's just going to be maybe serviceable. I know I'm going to get killed but at some point when does coaching come into question?

He could have put on 40 lbs and gone Heavy. That’s his Choice. RU was all in having him be the Heavy. But he looks awful too

Really our team is Ashnault and Suriano with a sprinkle of Van Brill, hopefully Gravina and maybe Grello and Colucci. If we are redshirting rest we won’t Qualifu 125, 141, and 197 and guess we will see that’s up with Glasgow but this would have been good place to make a name for himself

Correnti had a rough start to his freshman campaign but started turning around later in the year leading to high hopes. The decision is made to bump him up to HWT and he spends a redshirt season getting acclimated and used to that style. It doesn’t work and he’s back at 197.

I’m not going to rip the kid because HWT is a different beast than any other weight. Not like switching from 157 to 165 IMOP.

Yea but he did much better as an 18 yr. old frosh. and looked like a potential AA later in his career. Now as a 20 yr. old soph. looks like he's just going to be maybe serviceable. I know I'm going to get killed but at some point when does coaching come into question?
I think it’s a legitimate question. Our lower weights are much better then upper weights. I feel like we are good depth wise and recruiting wise 125-165/174 but 184-285 very questionable. Gravina graduates and nothing behind Colucci. 97 very weak.

Reactions: koleszar
Colucci looks solid. Just needs to get a little more aggressive. It looks like we've signed a 2018 Nonaggression Pact at 184, 197 and Hwt.

Reactions: Cradle99
Left in Championship round:

133 Nick Suriano, next vs S Koleno, Clarion unseeded
149 Anthony Ashnault , next vs Purinton, Nebraska , unseeded
157 John Van Brill , next vs unseeded S Freeman, unseeded, WWCC
174 Joe Grello, next vs vs Finesilver, Duke, 9 seed
285. Christian Colucci, next vs Orndoff, 6 seed, Utah Valley

I think it’s a legitimate question. Our lower weights are much better then upper weights. I feel like we are good depth wise and recruiting wise 125-165/174 but 184-285 very questionable. Gravina graduates and nothing behind Colucci. 97 very weak.
I was given flack for criticizing Leonardis and saying we should upgrade upperweight assistants back in the summer. My criticism back then now looks pretty warranted.

Left in Championship round:

133 Nick Suriano, next vs S Koleno, Clarion unseeded
149 Anthony Ashnault , next vs Purinton, Nebraska , unseeded
157 John Van Brill , next vs unseeded S Freeman, unseeded, WWCC
174 Joe Grello, next vs vs Finesilver, Duke, 9 seed
285. Christian Colucci, next vs Orndoff, 6 seed, Utah Valley
Obviously expect NS and AA to advance.

We really need the others to start making a statement in this tourney.

Left in Consys:

125 Metzlar next vs Smith, Mizzou
184 Pagano next vs Wiseman, Mizzou
197 Correnti next vs Eaton, NDSU

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT