ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread: CKLV Tournament Updates

RU wrestlers are performing toward their seeds so far.

Need Colucci to come hard to reverse that trend.

Quarterfinals tonight at 9. I think Chris Colucci still wrestles before the qtrs. but not sure

edit- Colucci tonight's championship round starting at 9 est

Tough loss. Grello needs to perform better in these spots to reach the next level. But hey, it took Scotty D time as well.

Tonight's Quarterfinals-
133- 1 seed Nick Suriano vs 9 seed K Myers, Va Tech
149- 1 seed Anthony Ashnault vs unseeded A Opsal, USAF
157- 6 seed John Van Brill vs 3 seed Kennedy Monday, UNC
285- unseeded Chris Colucci vs 6 seed D Orndorff, Utah Valley

Random thought of the day:
How much money did Duke give the Finesilvers to wrestle there?
3 bothers on partial or full scholarships?

Our upper weights blow. They don’t look like they even want to be out there
I don’t think 197 or 285 have an offensive move. How did they win State Championships? Starting to wonder if Colucci is really an upgrade over Gross or not.

Well that was an uninspiring effort to end the 1st session.:thumbsdown: We really aren't seeing any improvement in our upper weights. See you at 9pm.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Both 197 and 285 getting majored is rough,

Need Grello and Colucci to come back in the wrestleback round.
They need a few wins to try and get/stay in top 33.

This is a really bad showing. 125, 141, 184, 197all eliminated in 1st session, no wrestler at 165, and 174 and 285 in WB’s. We are a 2 trick pony with Ash and Suriano and Van Brill if he gets in a roll. Our team is not good right now. We have a couple of really good imdividuals

Here are our quarterfinal matchups for tonight.

133: (1) Suriano vs. (8) Myers (VT)
149: (1) Ashnault vs. Opsal (AF)
157: (6) JVB vs. (3) Monday (UNC)

We are very similar to last year in scoring for the NCAA
Suriano = Suriano
Ashnault > Delvecchio
JVB = JVB

Where we lack is the 4th person (R. Lewis) to score some points.

In the Consys:

174 Grello vs unseeded Heller, Hofstra next
285 Colucci vs unseeded Grayson, Nebraska, next

Keep in mind borderline AA Gravina is out, and starter 165 Glagow is out.

That said , it appears 125, 141, 165, 197 are definite non qualifier weights.
174, 285 Borderline qualifier weights.
133, 149, 157, 184 (if healthy) solid qualifier weights.

This roster more unbalanced than in recent years, it seems.

BUT !!! 2 real good chances for National Champs w Suriano and Ashnault, and JVB and NICK GRAVINA good shots at AA.

But it’s frustrating being a mid tier B10 team and having 5-6 uncompetitive weights
Hard to sell our practice facility and the newly formed OTC has yet to take an effect. However, after June when the Practice facility is completed they'll be no more excuses to not recruit better. Fully funded, Top 5 year in, year out in attendance, an Olympic training center, SKWC now better funded and the new Practice Facility.

We don't see an uptick in recruiting with all that, then we'll be mid-tier until an upgrade in our coaching staff. And before I get slammed I've always been supportive of Goodale. But things need to keep progressing he'll have every tool needed, even if an old friend needs to be jettisoned.

Last edited:
I think the 2019 is an uptick in recruiting.
Need to maintain the focus for 2020 and get some 174 pounders and above.

With no depth at 165, if Glasgow is injured (and he has a history of injuries) that weight will be almost an automatic loss. And if Gravina doesn't come back, then pencil in 184 and 197 for losses in most matches.
I wonder if Aguilar takes over for Metzlar at 125. And 141 not looking good either. Yikes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT