ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Montez Mathis hits transfer portal

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
Pike needs to hit college basketball “free agency” hard, plenty of talent in the portal. We could potentially upgrade the roster still. But Pike needs to get some big fish.

Reactions: RUJMM78
College basketball that we grew up knowing is done. The concept of team is finished. I am not saying I disagree with the rights of every one to transfer. Just saying the new model will be new team every year.
This 100% the NCAA needs to figure out a solution, this is just ridiculous at this point.

Pike needs to hit college basketball “free agency” hard, plenty of talent in the portal. We could potentially upgrade the roster still. But Pike needs to get some big fish.

Yes, especially at the guard spot - need to beat out some other programs and reel in some of the bigger fish.

Reactions: Corycord1
Mathis probably sees that he won't start next season and wants to transfer to a school where he will have more playing time.

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay
Saw his production and minutes decline as this past season went along.

Averaged 8.3 points in 2020-21.

Reactions: rume
Feel like tez is a kid who handlers and family and friends told him he was better than he actually is.

Could be addition by subtraction

for all the criticisms throughout the year he is still a valuable piece to Rutgers. Now we have lost so many starting minutes on our team.

watch Geo decide to come back and then hit the transfer portal

Reactions: Greg2020
Wait until the players can be paid (NIL). If the portal is still functioning as it is today - forget it.

Reactions: socaldave
So many people got shit for saying this was more likely than not

hope he finds a good spot and now at least we will be compelled to go after a guard I hope

You were right.

I don’t think Mathis is a huge loss tbh. Way too inconsistent and doesn’t have seem to have the makeup to be a leader as a senior.

Wish him all the best.

It’s not a huge loss if we replace him with another guard who maybe fits in better with our system and can do some other things . Problem is we can’t just sit on our ass and expect them to come crawling to us . Be proactive , not reactive ; looks what Maryland is doing and they really haven’t lost anyone

Not surprising to me one bit. Having said that ...think everyone else is returning (including geo and Ron after getting evaluated )

This is NOT. A surprise to me as I think Jaden is getting most of Jacobs minutes next year....still keeping Montez at a 15 -20 mpg roll...if he would have held off miller and mag

Understand he wants to play more ...All the best to him

I do think that’s the last of our 2020-2021 roster hitting the portal . Think geo is back and Ron returns after the NBA evaluation

Wish him the best. Came here as a 4* when we were nothing and played hard.

There are a ton of guys in the portal who could give us what Mathis did or even more but the coaching staff needs to get moving.

Obviously not great as Tez was a key part of the team.

The reality is we won't know how screwed we are until we see who we pick up

This is the new world of college sports and I can't speak for everyone but this is definitely going to be an adjustment for me.

The way I see it, right now your starting lineup should be

PG- Paul
SG- Geo
SF- Jaden
PF- Ron
C- Cliff

6th man- Caleb
Reiber
Mag
Palmquist

really need to add two quality players in the portal. Ideally an athletic SG and Harrar. If we can add that were in fine shape. Tbh Geo would be best off the bench but thats not gonna happen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT