ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Montez Mathis hits transfer portal

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
With the transfer portal college basketball is facing dramatic changes in roster control.Players are coming and going in record numbers.Basketball programs that will survive the upheaval are those that have the cache in recruiting circles to pick and get players that will fill immediate needs.Rutgers will need such replacements or they will quickly fall in B1G rankings.

Don't know if they need a player, but UConn was a contender he considered
during his first recruitment
You think Hurley, with his temper, would “tolerate” Montez’s offensive selfishness? Idk

Of course I do. I said it with Corey Sanders and was 100% right.

I hate thinking about us defensively with the roster we have. There have to be loads of players on theportal that will help us on both sides. If the deck is clear for PT they will have a better chance of coming.

PLuS I don’t see us winning this year with this group. I’d rather see us build for the future.
You may hate thinking about our current roster defensively, but take Ron and Geo away and you’ll hate thinking about it offensively even more. Where in the portal are you going to grab multiple guys that maintain our offensive profile while offering drastically better defense — I think you’d be hard-pressed to upgrade Ron and Geo

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Losing Young, Johnson, and Mathis in one year guts our defense. McConnell is still there, but outside of him where are we getting our defensive strength? Harper, Baker, and Mulcahy are not great defenders - Omoruyi has the tools to be one, but he's not really there yet. From what we saw of the freshmen, Mag and Reiber seemed to show seeds of what might become good defenders, but Palmquist was behind.

Whoever we bring in from the portal has to be strong defensively, or we're going to have some real issues.

You think Hurley, with his temper, would “tolerate” Montez’s offensive selfishness? Idk

I thought Hurley might have been a first year coach at UConn
when Montez was being recruited, but I see Hurley came to Uconn the next year

I only mention UConn because I know Montez seriously considered them before.... you may very well be right that Hurley would not be interested.

Really like our defenders on the blocks and in the paint with Omoruyi and Ron. Mawat will be a very good defender but don’t know if he will defend guards or small forwards. RU needs guards that can defend the length of the court when needed. At the moment, we are really lacking in that category. Only like 1000 players in the portal. Let’s see how this shakes out.

GO RU

Lol but Geooooo woooo we all love our off the court distraction Geo! SMH.

Stats said Ron was fine on defensive boards. Not sure my eyeballs saw it that way.

I agree on most possessions with Ron’s D

I think Ron can play very good defensively when he wants to. He took off on the defensive end many times this past year. Not really sure why that was.

He also has shown that he can rebound very efficiently when he puts his mind to it.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
You may hate thinking about our current roster defensively, but take Ron and Geo away and you’ll hate thinking about it offensively even more. Where in the portal are you going to grab multiple guys that maintain our offensive profile while offering drastically better defense — I think you’d be hard-pressed to upgrade Ron and Geo
I am making assumptions maybe I shouldn’t. I really don’t know the make up off the portal and all the players that may still enter it.

every college player in America knows there is a spot for them to play for Steve Pikiell and Rutgers.

WIll give Pike and staff off today for Easter, but we better start hearing some good incoming transfer news in next few days. Of course the portal can help us replace and even upgrade the players that left...but let's start making things happen!

Reactions: RUSCFORMERLYRULOU
People act as if this is fine and it's hilarious. He was a starter for a good chunk of his career, was very good on Defense, and came up big for us against Houston before the wheels fell off late.

Losing him and young is a huge blow to our defense. Losing one of our better recruits before his senior year is not a good thing, no matter how you spin it.

Mathis was unfathomably bad for a significant chunk of the season. Erratic three point shooter, terrible free throw shooter, wild drives to the basket. Like most of the portal, he is a talented player with flaws. He can be replaced easily.

Lol but Geooooo woooo we all love our off the court distraction Geo! SMH.
So a guy who’s minutes were drastically cut this season decided to go into the portal and your first thought is “This must be Geo’s fault.”

What did this kid do to you that you’re so eager to make him the villain in literally every scenario man? It’s super weird.

The way I see it, right now your starting lineup should be

PG- Paul
SG- Geo
SF- Jaden
PF- Ron
C- Cliff

6th man- Caleb
Reiber
Mag
Palmquist

really need to add two quality players in the portal. Ideally an athletic SG and Harrar. If we can add that were in fine shape. Tbh Geo would be best off the bench but thats not gonna happen
Yikes. That bench right now.

Last edited:
Since this thread is about Montez., let me say this is a big loss. The message board posters here at Rutgers have a tendency to kill our own. Montez was a 3 year starter until he wasn’t after the 5 game losing streak. He was a main part of our winning team last year and was early this year a crucial part of our winning team this year. People’s memories are so short and forget that for the first 10 games of the year Montez was our third leading scorer with app. 15 points per game, rebounding, playing defense, hitting threes at a reasonable rate.and a solid teammate and someone the other coach had to defend. Then he got placed on the bench and did not react to it well. He tried todo too much when he got his minutes, which ended with turnovers, driving 1 on 3, missing layups, not even shooting threes, and not even an effective defender. Some guys can easily adjust to coming off the bench, Montez did not. Yes, some like BAC blame it all on the player, but I blame it on the player and the coaches. It is easy to teach a jump stop to avoid the out of control drives so to me Pike or Brandon Knight failed in their coaching as well. Montez is incredible athletic and when dialed in and not pressing and not trying to do too much , was a key part of our winning success as he offensive rebounded, played lockdown defense, got out on the break , and was not afraid to shoot the three when we needed it. In my opinion, losing Montez three point making when he went to the bench is one of the reasons we struggled to score 70 points a game , which would have won us even more games. We saw bad Montez coming off the bench as his confidence was shot and he couldn’t even make a simple play like an uncontested layup. I blame the coaches as much as a portion of you want to place all the blame on Montez. The thing I really cannot stand are those that say it is no big loss or no loss at all. That is pathetic and clueless for anyone that has watched this team for the last 3 years. Shame on you.

College basketball that we grew up knowing is done. The concept of team is finished. I am not saying I disagree with the rights of every one to transfer. Just saying the new model will be new team every year.

Yup. Timing... just as RUMBB is getting its act together.

LOL. Genius thinking! Let’s start from scratch! LOL.
Baker and Harper probably not going to be here in 2022-23. In 2022-23 I kind of what players on the team that have played important minutes.

when you think about the impact Young and Johnson had on the team defensively. The impact Young had offensively we kind of are starting from scratch.

I did not like what I saw out of Harper and Baker last year when things didn’t go there way. I prefer having players play like their PT is on the line.

So a guy who’s minutes were drastically cut this season decided to go into the portal and your first thought is “This must be Geo’s fault.”

What did this kid do to you that you’re so eager to make him the villain in literally every scenario man? It’s super weird.

Keep being blind to what’s actually happening.

A week ago I was an idiot that doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Today I’m a weirdo for calling it out.

You and everyone else that wants to hitch their wagon to him (Pike included), will regret it.

Keep being blind to what’s actually happening.

A week ago I was an idiot that doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Today I’m a weirdo for calling it out.

You and everyone else that wants to hitch their wagon to him (Pike included), will regret it.
if you have something to say than just say it

you think your constant posts of “look at me and what I know” are getting tiring. Nothing that has occurred with this team that wasn’t expected so far

Reactions: RUonBrain
if you have something to say than just say it

you think your constant posts of “look at me and what I know” are getting tiring. Nothing that has occurred with this team that wasn’t expected so far
So Montez leaving was expected. Okay, keep telling yourself that.

Same damn people that thought Flood was doing a good job.

So Montez leaving was expected. Okay, keep telling yourself that.

Same damn people that thought Flood was doing a good job.

all the tea leaves were there with him getting reduced minutes and losing his starting role.

you have brought NOTHING to this board in terms of substance and are just a troll. You should hit the portal also and find a new team team

Baker and Harper probably not going to be here in 2022-23. In 2022-23 I kind of what players on the team that have played important minutes.

when you think about the impact Young and Johnson had on the team defensively. The impact Young had offensively we kind of are starting from scratch.

I did not like what I saw out of Harper and Baker last year when things didn’t go there way. I prefer having players play like their PT is on the line.
I hear what you’re saying, just don’t think signing up for losing both Baker and Harp this year is the best idea 😀.

Not sure what Bakers deal was this year, but didn’t appear to bust it, body language sucked.

After Harper hurt his ankle he took a while to get going again, but IMO at least he played with some attitude most of the time.

As far as defense, let’s all remember before Young and Johnson, Pikels team’s MO was tough D and rebounding, ..so I’m not concerned about team D, just need to make D and rebounding the emphasis again.

all the tea leaves were there with him getting reduced minutes and losing his starting role.

you have brought NOTHING to this board in terms of substance and are just a troll. You should hit the portal also and find a new team team
😂😂 you’re right. I made all this shit up.

This is the nature of college basketball now. Pikiell built this program once and he can build it again. So if this whole team wants to transfer, let them go ahead and do it. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts with this team. I'll go on the ride once again from scratch if need be.

This is the nature of college basketball now. Pikiell built this program once and he can build it again. So if this whole team wants to transfer, let them go ahead and do it. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts with this team. I'll go on the ride once again from scratch if need be.
This is also a load of crap narrative going on. Do kids transfer more than years past? Yes.

But this is simply not the way things are for a team that just broke a drought and has a very solid core.

Very dismissive of everyone to just say this.

This is also a load of crap narrative going on. Do kids transfer more than years past? Yes.

But this is simply not the way things are for a team that just broke a drought and has a very solid core.

Very dismissive of everyone to just say this.
And outside of MM
Who was not expected to leave?

Since this thread is about Montez., let me say this is a big loss. The message board posters here at Rutgers have a tendency to kill our own. Montez was a 3 year starter until he wasn’t after the 5 game losing streak. He was a main part of our winning team last year and was early this year a crucial part of our winning team this year. People’s memories are so short and forget that for the first 10 games of the year Montez was our third leading scorer with app. 15 points per game, rebounding, playing defense, hitting threes at a reasonable rate.and a solid teammate and someone the other coach had to defend. Then he got placed on the bench and did not react to it well. He tried todo too much when he got his minutes, which ended with turnovers, driving 1 on 3, missing layups, not even shooting threes, and not even an effective defender. Some guys can easily adjust to coming off the bench, Montez did not. Yes, some like BAC blame it all on the player, but I blame it on the player and the coaches. It is easy to teach a jump stop to avoid the out of control drives so to me Pike or Brandon Knight failed in their coaching as well. Montez is incredible athletic and when dialed in and not pressing and not trying to do too much , was a key part of our winning success as he offensive rebounded, played lockdown defense, got out on the break , and was not afraid to shoot the three when we needed it. In my opinion, losing Montez three point making when he went to the bench is one of the reasons we struggled to score 70 points a game , which would have won us even more games. We saw bad Montez coming off the bench as his confidence was shot and he couldn’t even make a simple play like an uncontested layup. I blame the coaches as much as a portion of you want to place all the blame on Montez. The thing I really cannot stand are those that say it is no big loss or no loss at all. That is pathetic and clueless for anyone that has watched this team for the last 3 years. Shame on you.

he was awful period

How hard is it to replace a solid defensive player who plays completely out of control, turns the ball over, can't successfully go to the rim and get contact called, and is a streaky outside shooter?

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I have been pulling for this kid since he came to the Banks; I love his energy, but he has just regressed period! Mathis was a black hole on offense when the ball got in his hands in this season, and he couldn't finish and looked bad trying. This impacted everyone and you could see it in their body language. He just didn't seem to be "1 of the guys". I loved his intensity on D, but I for one will not miss seeing airball layups and that knuckleball of a 3 pointer!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT