ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Montez Mathis hits transfer portal

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
I wish Montez the best. Many thought this would happen. I don't think he will go to Maryland but I could be wrong. I don't think that Turgeon valued him too much. We definitely now need another guard. I trust in Steve Pikiell will find us guys to help us.

The way I see it, right now your starting lineup should be

PG- Paul
SG- Geo
SF- Jaden
PF- Ron
C- Cliff

6th man- Caleb
Reiber
Mag
Palmquist

really need to add two quality players in the portal. Ideally an athletic SG and Harrar. If we can add that were in fine shape. Tbh Geo would be best off the bench but thats not gonna happen

If Jones can step in right away and make a difference that will be huge for us regardless of portal happenings. Pike did a great job landing him.

No sugarcoating that this is a setback.
Its only a setback if nobody of equal or better talent is brought in as a replacement.There are plenty of guards in the transfer portal .This seems to be a organized announcement plan with Rutgers players spacing out their decision to get maximum exposure.I liked Mathis but he never lived up to his offensive potential coming out of high school.It will be interesting to see which school he chooses.

Tez got a lot of flack but he has definitely won us 1 or 2 games this season. Like kyk said I really hope Pike starts hitting the portal hard. He hasn't recruited poorly by any stretch but he does need to take more of a Schiano I'm all in on you approach.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
The way I see it, right now your starting lineup should be

PG- Paul
SG- Geo
SF- Jaden
PF- Ron
C- Cliff

6th man- Caleb
Reiber
Mag
Palmquist

really need to add two quality players in the portal. Ideally an athletic SG and Harrar. If we can add that were in fine shape. Tbh Geo would be best off the bench but thats not gonna happen
Starters are fine and it’s still a good unit but we can definitely upgrade . Need two bigs and another wing at the minimum . We need to land Harrar and an athletic wing and big type .

There are plenty of great players out there but like some others have said , pike needs to adjust his thinking and stop being stubborn so you either embrace free agency and improve or get left in the dust

Not sure where you get that he’s stubborn. He‘s been hitting the portal regularly even before it became all the rage - e.g., Young, Gettys, Yaboah.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Good luck to Montez. He played hard and he had moments for us occasionally where he was the only guy willing to make a play.

People act as if this is fine and it's hilarious. He was a starter for a good chunk of his career, was very good on Defense, and came up big for us against Houston before the wheels fell off late.

Losing him and young is a huge blow to our defense. Losing one of our better recruits before his senior year is not a good thing, no matter how you spin it.

People act as if this is fine and it's hilarious. He was a starter for a good chunk of his career, was very good on Defense, and came up big for us against Houston before the wheels fell off late.

Losing him and young is a huge blow to our defense. Losing one of our better recruits before his senior year is not a good thing, no matter how you spin it.
And was Young not expected to leave?

And was Young not expected to leave?

Stay on topic.

This conversation is about mathis and people saying we are fine without him.

The other thread is the conversation about people leaving and whether it signifies a problem internally.

Yes, most of our guys who are in the portal already have graduated, and it’s true that Mathis was frustrating at times, but this isn’t good. I saw Mathis as the player that could really step up next season. He clearly has the athletic tools. We’re now bordering on rebuild if Pike doesn’t reload via the portal.

Buh bye..did not think he was committed to doing the things he needed to do to help the program

Addition by subtraction

If you watched his performance this year you know exactly what I am talking about
I kinda agree. He played so out of control. We do need to replace him though. Ideally with an athletic SG

Did you not interject Young?

This conversation is about mathis and people saying we are fine without him.

The other thread is the conversation about people leaving and whether it signifies a problem internally.

Losing mathis hurts us on defense big time bc we lost both him and young. I know you want to convince yourself everything is still great. I disagree. But again, this thread has many saying mathis leaving is no big deal from an on-court standpoint. I'm illustrating that it is. I'll respond to the other conversation in the other thread.

Reactions: Greg2020
Good. Montez was a net-negative. He has no idea how to play basketball on offense. He cannot finish on a fast break, takes terrible shots in the half court, is stiff and cannot score.

If Geo and Ron are back we are brutal defensively.

Most won’t agree........the best thing for the program is for Ron and Geo to go and we start fresh getting back to our identity of defense and rebounding.

Good. Montez was a net-negative. He has no idea how to play basketball on offense. He cannot finish on a fast break, takes terrible shots in the half court, is stiff and cannot score.

Exactly

And a slew of posters have seemingly ignored this because he had one great game vs Purdue

Reactions: LETSGORU91

Most won’t agree........the best thing for the program is for Ron and Geo to go and we start fresh getting back to our identity of defense and rebounding.
Ron is good on ball defensively. He was lazy on the boards though. Geo is just a liability on D and really should be a 6th man

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG

Ron played a great defensive game against Houston. Assuming he comes back there’s no way the NBA feedback isn’t that he needs to work on his body, improve his defensive effort, and shoot all summer long. But, for everything he might not be — Ron is a plus offensive player and a match up nightmare.

Ron is good on ball defensively. He was lazy on the boards though. Geo is just a liability on D and really should be a 6th man
Stats said Ron was fine on defensive boards. Not sure my eyeballs saw it that way.

I agree on most possessions with Ron’s D

WTF. Do you actually read what you write? Yeah, I guess you do and you get the reaction you want. Sorry, but Skip Bayless isn’t giving up his chair anytime soon.

So - anyone having second thoughts about pike losing the team or do you think this is just a case of everyone else is doing it and he doesn’t want to be left...

That is something that Rutgers always does. Now Mathis isn’t very good or was inconsistent yet several years ago he was a key component even if only as a 6th guy. The question remains will the others be better than Mathis or will we be hoping to get a good replacement still this summer. If we have them in the program now we got very little insights during this season. Still need another B1G man who can come in and score and play defense around the rim. Other than Cliff who is that guy currently on our roster?

Reactions: IL Lusciato
WTF. Do you actually read what you write? Yeah, I guess you do and you get the reaction you want. Sorry, but Skip Bayless isn’t giving up his chair anytime soon.
Of course I do. I said it with Corey Sanders and was 100% right.

I hate thinking about us defensively with the roster we have. There have to be loads of players on theportal that will help us on both sides. If the deck is clear for PT they will have a better chance of coming.

PLuS I don’t see us winning this year with this group. I’d rather see us build for the future.

If the players like the coach or the overall coaching and school and feel they are being given the best chance to win and follow their aspirations as a player or in a future career in their preferred profession then there will be less players at said school in the portal , otherwise it’s musical chairs on a yearly basis. You could get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle or it could be disorder year after year . The good coach will flourish in this environment while coaches who choke in big games and never can get over the proverbial hump are doomed in this environment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT