• Steve Pikiell

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Good-Knight

All Conference
Jul 21, 2008
To start the season, I thought this team was a notch down from last year's squad, but that they would come on strong at in Feb and March and make the tourney. While there is still time, so far there are a few disappointments.

Gavin projected potential starter and threat to be leading scorer and or best 3 point shooter

Noah projected starting PG mods said would be leading scorer

Cliff, lack of offensive jump in post scoring. Too many games with no shows

Simpson, not able to make a 2nd year jump and shooting absolutely abysmal

Not see really sure how it could be anyone else?

Maybe slimmed down breakout Wolf never happened is a choice

Hyatt is Hyatt. Oskar is Oskar. Davis over performing as an unheralded low ranked recruit. Mag solid off major injury

#FreeChol can't even get on the list?

Cliff. The fact that he hasn’t developed his offensive game at all is the most disappointing part of the season
The same can be said of Johnson when he was the center.Player development has been lacking .

Wolf
GG
Noah

I thought Wolf would make a huge jump a la Eugene. Strike one. I thought Gavin would be starting and averaging double figures. Strike two. I had hope Noah would offset Cam. I’m out!

Reactions: Kbee3
Really tough call for me between Simpson and Griffiths. I had really expected Simpson to blossom this year with more of a role after the way last season ended. Griffiths was an unknown, and while I had expectations that he fell short of, there was always a feeling that he might take some time to get acclimated.
Not a tough call at all. 1. a lot more difficult for a true freshman to adapt, especially on an untalented team. 2. Simpson is part of the reasons GG is struggling offensively because he’s a failure at guard in running the offense and finding open players, including GG.

Pike sometimes speaks about the defense being ‘connected’. The offense should be connected too, like Purdue, UConn and all good offensive teams. Even Minnesota. Our offense is not connected and Simpson is the main reason why. He dribbles too much looking for his own shot.

Reactions: coldsprings
The same can be said of Johnson when he was the center.Player development has been lacking .
Scoring is a gift. You can improve footwork, form, etc., but the bottom line is that Cliff can't shoot. Pike could have brought Kevin Durant in to be his shooting coach and it wouldn't have mattered

Not a tough call at all. 1. a lot more difficult for a true freshman to adapt, especially on an untalented team. 2. Simpson is part of the reasons GG is struggling offensively because he’s a failure at guard in running the offense and finding open players, including GG.

Pike sometimes speaks about the defense being ‘connected’. The offense should be connected too, like Purdue, UConn and all good offensive teams. Even Minnesota. Our offense is not connected and Simpson is the main reason why. He dribbles too much looking for his own shot.
Our offense isn't connected because it's mostly a one on one offense that doesn't allow for enough catch and shoot. Simpson hasn't been great, but he is the only one on the team who can create a shot and so, not running much of an offense, he often has to, especially with the clock running down. Substituting as much as we do doesn't allow for much continuity either.

Reactions: FastMJ
I vote Cliff, scangg makes a good case for GG.
Being Cliff is an upper class-man, and I find him at times unwatchable on the court, he is my choice.
His skill set and usefulness could be so much improved by focusing on the proper areas to work on, example foot work , spending an offseason working on his 3 point shot emphasizes how poorly he has used his offseason time.
Should of looked up someone like AJ Moye
Great footwork fundamentalist who has worked with some of our past players.

Last edited:
Reactions: LukeRU90
I don’t see the point of doing this. Nobody is happy with the results and I’m sure that includes the players. I need to stop believing the hype we read about the preseason practices because it’s clearly a lot of b.s. that has little basis in reality. That’s the lesson I learned this year - don’t believe the hype.

Can’t say GG as he is a freshman. For me Hyatt had so much potential. When Mag has been out/playing injured Hyatt has seemed to disappear.

Reactions: socaldave
Gavin by a mile. He was a high 4 star and some had him at a 5. The most disappointing part is that he hasn’t even gotten better as the season progressed.

He is supposed to be a shooter and has shot 32% from the floor, 24% from 3, and 57% from the FT line.

Gavin by a mile. He was a high 4 star and some had him at a 5. The most disappointing part is that he hasn’t even gotten better as the season progressed.

He is supposed to be a shooter and has shot 32% from the floor, 24% from 3, and 57% from the FT line.
Yes it's really not even close. There literally couldn't be a bigger let down given all the hype.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
This is a crap post. Constantly putting our team down who is actually over performing the expectations going in and who lost two starters, one of which is arguably the best on the #1 team in the nation, with just a couple of months before the season started.

Let’s rally behind our team and not do this crap

This is a crap post. Constantly putting our team down who is actually over performing the expectations going in and who lost two starters, one of which is arguably the best on the #1 team in the nation, with just a couple of months before the season started.

Let’s rally behind our team and not do this crap
Very disappointed that people actually responded.

This whole exercise is pretty shitty and super unnecessary. But the fact that OP named the poll “Most disappointing player?” and then included Pike (who fun fact is not a player) as an option is probably the best (worst?) part.

To me - when the freshman wins by a landslide - is it the player or the evaluators to blame; the kid didn't call himself one of the top recruits of all time; but since we (or at least me) don't know the names of the evaluators - the player takes the hit. Looks like a lot of other factors were not taken into consideration in his evaluation process. But certainly want him to succeed - just going to take more time.

To me - when the freshman wins by a landslide - is it the player or the evaluators to blame; the kid didn't call himself one of the top recruits of all time; but since we (or at least me) don't know the names of the evaluators - the player takes the hit. Looks like a lot of other factors were not taken into consideration in his evaluation process. But certainly want him to succeed - just going to take more time.
I might agree with you if I could decipher your inebriated post. Can you please help translate?

Not good to criticize players individually or so we thought . GG was looked upon as a vital piece but as a true frosh this was wishful thinking. On to next season as we will find it hard to find 3-4 more wins in 2024.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT