ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA announcers

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
I know Lappas and Spero Dedes pretty well. The goal is to get Duke,Kentucky and Kansas as much prime time and CBS visibility as possible first weekend and then the rest are parceled out to the 3 covering networks and announcers by a combo of ratings and experience. Spero did Rutgers twice,but he was once paired with Brendan Haywood who was beyond awful. This is the last tourney for Nantz and most know that Ian Eagle steps in. The rising star is Andrew Catalon,who should end up in the prime seat some day.Rutgers could end up on CBS second round if initially in the 8-9 game and then playing any 1.Or if Rutgers plays one of the 3 aforementioned. Many in the broadcasting business think that Duke,now healthy can make a deep run.

When's the last time RU bball was on CBS? Also, I noticed Devin Harris is doing our game tonight on FS1. Is that THE Devin Harris, ex-NBA'er? I'm guessing yes. Anyway, glad it's not Donny Marshall. That guy often seems to have a negative vibe towards us. Probably because he knows our program can be a Northeast threat to his beloved Huskies.

Did they release the announcer pairings ?
It’s gonna be interesting what they do with jay wright . He’s a star and should be on the number 1 team with nantz . But I don’t see them having the stones to demote rafferty or hill. I would oust hill, he brings very little to the broadcasts .
Maybe they pair him with eagle and transition both those guys to the number 1 team next year ??
Spanarkel is usually very good too, especially calling all of the SP games last year.

Many in the broadcasting business think that Duke,now healthy can make a deep run.
They’re talented with a lot of length but also young and dumb. Teams that young don’t typically make deep runs.

Also of the 9 guys that play 3 are from jersey (young, whitehead, Blakes) and Lively is from Philly

I am assuming Gus Johnson is a FOX guy and will not be broadcasting NCAA games. Please tell me this is the case. Thank goodness Tony Romo isnt a basketball announcer. I can't stand people yelling at me all the time.

Reactions: kcg88
One of the most underappreciated announcers is Bob Wichusen. He is as solid as solid can be while letting the game be the star of the show and not making it about himself.

One of the most underappreciated announcers is Bob Wichusen. He is as solid as solid can be while letting the game be the star of the show and not making it about himself.
I don’t think he’s ever done the ncaa tournament on tv. Maybe radio ?
I agree he’s very solid and local guy from Cranford or roselle park I believe.

As long as it’s not a female announcer I’m good.
I love having the female announcers. Because there are so many ignoramuses such as yourself, females have to be very good to get a shot. I’ll take a strong female over a homer for another team 99 times out of 99 (ex Matt Millen).

The network is slow to pick up on the changing of the guard. Change in coaches with Duke, UNC, and Villanova have removed them from their elite status; Kentucky is wavering. The average fan still goes for the name teams though. Will these teams get back to top 10 or was it the special talents of their coaches? Time will tell.
Btw, I think Jay Wright is a much better coach than announcer. He did a whole Ohio State game telling us how good they were when they had lost 10 in a row; he won't ever criticize his fellow coaches.

I've always been a Raft fan. Guy like him... you talk about doin' his homework and being prepared all the time? When he talks about players during the game he makes you, as the viewer, feel like he has been your radio color guy every game of the season. He acts like he knows the players on your team SO well even if he prob. doesn't. He just has the "it" factor IMHO... not to mention go-to lines like "Onions!" and "Man to man!!!" The best in the business in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT