ADVERTISEMENT

New BIG is brutal

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
All four of the incoming Western programs played in bowl games this year. All won! Washington may be the NC next year!
I think the BE should make them travel by bus to the East coast to play.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Still behind the SEC overall, but closing the gap certainly.
I’m not sure you can say that.. based on highest ranking:

1 Michigan - 3 Texas B1G
2 Washington - 4 Alabama B1G
6 Georgia - 7 OSU SEC
8 Oregon - 9 Missouri B1G
10 PSU - 11 Ole Miss B1G

Big Ten 4 of the top 5 teams are higher ranked than the next SEC team

I’m not sure you can say that.. based on highest ranking:

1 Michigan - 3 Texas B1G
2 Washington - 4 Alabama B1G
6 Georgia - 7 OSU SEC
8 Oregon - 9 Missouri B1G
10 PSU - 11 Ole Miss B1G

Big Ten 4 of the top 5 teams are higher ranked than the next SEC team
I think the Big Ten has more quality teams than the SEC but the SEC have maybe stronger 2-4 top teams.

All four of the incoming Western programs played in bowl games this year. All won! Washington may be the NC next year!
I think the BE should make them travel by bus to the East coast to play.
So many think next years schedule will be a cake walk but don’t realize how good the new additions are ,and we play 3 of them next year, including what potentially could be a national champion in Washington.

Reactions: RUScrew85 and RU24
So many think next years schedule will be a cake walk but don’t realize how good the new additions are ,and we play 3 of them next year, including what potentially could be a national champion in Washington.
I don't think anyone thinks it's a cake walk. Never heard that once. I think people think we went from having our normal 3-5 automatic losses on the schedule to maybe 1.

Washington, USC and Oregon are all losing their starting QBs but you can be sure that their replacements will still be good. Virginia Tech will be better and Nebraska is an away game and they've signed the #1 recruit in the country , a QB previously bound for Georgia. Wisconsin will have Miami 's starting QB so they will be tough. This is what bigtime college football is all about ,nothing is automatic. 2024. could be a lot of fun..........

Going to need more than a game manager at QB to be able to compete vs the West Coast B1G teams, along with the old B1G West, if not the usual Top 3 B1G East teams.

All those west coast PAC teams are more difficult to defend.
GS already has his hands full with any team that runs multiple options and deception.
You think Maryland is tough to stop, wait till you play these teams
I think PSU could be more like that with Kotelnicki coming from Kansas but I don’t think they were like that before. Even Michigan changed MO slightly and did more of that against Alabama.

Oregon Washington and USC have been in the top 10 the last two years in terms of total, scoring and YPP on offense. They have been very productive on offense the last couple years. Those are the kind of teams I don’t think we match up as well against and you don’t really see much of it in the B10 outside of OSU prior to this year and maybe a Maryland on some level.

I’ve always thought a style like Michigan over the years and OSU this year are better matchups for us where we can compete at least somewhat.

That being said all those teams will have new qbs next year so there could be a drop off in productivity. I wouldn’t say a steep one but maybe instead of top 10, maybe top 25-30ish which is still good.

Will Rogers from Miss St to UW and Dillon Gabriel from OU to Oregon are good replacements though so we’ll see. Not sure who USC will have but Miller Moss looked good in the bowl game and Riley, along with KK, have a pretty long track record of cranking out productive qbs.

I’m not sure what to expect out of UCLA. They did a 180 from last year to this year in terms of which side of the ball was the strength of the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: dollarbill
I don't think anyone thinks it's a cake walk. Never heard that once. I think people think we went from having our normal 3-5 automatic losses on the schedule to maybe 1.
Just because you never heard anyone say it once or you don’t think anyone thinks that doesn’t mean that I haven’t heard it or talked to people that brought it up to me. As a matter of fact Ive heard too many people think the schedule is very easy and they are giddy about it. I just caution those people that we can do it but don’t start assuming the wins.

I think PSU could be more like that with Kotelnicki coming from Kansas but I don’t think they were like that before. Even Michigan changed MO slightly and did more of that against Alabama.

Oregon Washington and USC have been in the top 10 the last two years in terms of total, scoring and YPP on offense. They have been very productive on offense the last couple years. Those are the kind of teams I don’t think we match up as well against and you don’t really see much of it in the B10 outside of OSU prior to this year and maybe a Maryland on some level.

I’ve always thought a style like Michigan over the years and OSU this year are better matchups for us where we can compete at least somewhat.

That being said all those teams will have new qbs next year so there could be a drop off in productivity. I wouldn’t say a steep one but maybe instead of top 10, maybe top 25-30ish which is still good.

Will Rogers from Miss St to UW and Dillon Gabriel from OU to Oregon are good replacements though so we’ll see. Not sure who USC will have but Miller Moss looked good in the bowl game and Riley, along with KK, have a pretty long track record of cranking out productive qbs.

I’m not sure what to expect out of UCLA. They did a 180 from last year to this year in terms of which side of the ball was the strength of the team.
We definitely need to pass more especially when we play catch up ball. We need to start beating the Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Maryland and Nebraska teams to get to 7-8 wins.

Reactions: Kbee3
In the NFL (and betting circles specifically), it is well known that west coast teams traveling east tend to struggle, especially when playing an early afternoon game. Maybe that helps us against these powerhouses?

In the NFL (and betting circles specifically), it is well known that west coast teams traveling east tend to struggle, especially when playing an early afternoon game. Maybe that helps us against these powerhouses?
I’ve thought that could be an unknown but some think it’s no big deal with charters and everyone being young etc

I’ve thought that could be an unknown but some think it’s no big deal with charters and everyone being young etc
I don't have any NCAA data, but here's the NFL data since 2005. It's pretty conclusive.

I am not going to miss the physicality of the old B10 East. I think the west coast teams might have more athleticism and might even score more points on us but we won’t be physically beat up for 2-3 games after we play them.
Definitely won’t be a picnic!

All those west coast PAC teams are more difficult to defend.
GS already has his hands full with any team that runs multiple options and deception.
You think Maryland is tough to stop, wait till you play these teams
We need to pick up a good CB in transfer portal soon.

because the NFL teams are much more evenly matched. there's much more of a talent gap in CFP so that travel won't matter as much.

With all the player movement, things are very much year to year. I’ve heard the TKR guys suggest that with better QB play, RU “seems like an 8 win team in 2024” because of the schedule. I think that is extremely optimistic. RU has a very tough 6 game stretch, @VT, Wash, @Neb, Wisc, UCLA, @USC. If RU went any better than 2-4 during that stretch it would be a surprise to me. 1-5 would not be a shock. I think the Vegas O/U in wins going into next year will be in the 5.5 - 6 win range. I think 7-5 would be a very good year against that schedule.

With all the player movement, things are very much year to year. I’ve heard the TKR guys suggest that with better QB play, RU “seems like an 8 win team in 2024” because of the schedule. I think that is extremely optimistic. RU has a very tough 6 game stretch, @VT, Wash, @Neb, Wisc, UCLA, @USC. If RU went any better than 2-4 during that stretch it would be a surprise to me. 1-5 would not be a shock. I think the Vegas O/U in wins going into next year will be in the 5.5 - 6 win range. I think 7-5 would be a very good year against that schedule.
I thought I heard them say in the last podcast that the put the over/under for wins at 6.5 but with a much higher ceiling if everything breaks right.

Agree....UW, USC and UCLA might not be as strong as PSU, OSU and UM next year but they will still be significant favorites. What FBS games will we likely be favored in ? Akron and Minnesota ? MSU's new coach has brought in top portal guys already including one the top QBs, and the game is on the road. Maryland has our #.

It will be tough to find 3 FBS more wins on the schedule. I think 7-5 is a longshot. Even 6-6 will be unlikely.

or Maryland.

We all crow about being in big leagues now, but sometimes I wonder if, for example, being back in the ACC* and getting into the Top 20 once in a while just by being "solid" was more fun. A team had to be really, really good to be ranked while playing in the Big Ten East, as opposed to being merely "decent" in some other leagues. I think that's not going to change for mid-level teams in the B1G, going forward.

Moving to super-conferences, and the entire "haves" vs. "have nots" is partly why am slowly losing interest, personally.

I realize that the ACC may not even last much longer; hopefully my point is clear, if misguided.
I as well keep hearing people say we have an easy schedule next year and I don’t see it that way . Much more manageable yes , but let’s not write in automatic wins as some are suggesting. I’m confident in next year but we can easily get tripped up in some of those games . Don’t sleep on the three west coast teams we play ,one of which could be the national champion.

I as well keep hearing people say we have an easy schedule next year and I don’t see it that way . Much more manageable yes , but let’s not write in automatic wins as some are suggesting. I’m confident in next year but we can easily get tripped up in some of those games . Don’t sleep on the three west coast teams we play ,one of which could be the national champion.
I haven't seen a single person say we have an easy schedule next year. Easier is different than easy.

I haven't seen a single person say we have an easy schedule next year. Easier is different than easy.
Oh if you haven’t seen a single person say it then it must not be true. Those people that told me that and some of the other posters didn’t happen I guess.

Oh if you haven’t seen a single person say it then it must not be true. Those people that told me that and some of the other posters didn’t happen I guess.
I can't say nobody has said it, I'm not vouching for every post. But having read most of the posts on this board, I've seen lots of posters here talking about "all the people saying we have an easy schedule" and haven't seen anyone say we have an easy schedule. Sounds like a strawman.

Reactions: Arizona Knight
My prediction for each game was 5 wins and a couple of toss up but had losses for all 3 former PAC 12 teams. I‘m comfortable with 6-7wins with the addition of the QB transfer. 8 if we’re extremely lucky. I’m hoping 1 win at Nebraska or Wisconsin, and 1 at either Maryland or Michigan State and we run over VT.

2024 Rutgers Football
Aug. 31: Howard. W
Sept. 7: Akron. W
Sept. 21: at Virginia Tech. Toss Up
Sept. 28: Washington*. L
Oct. 5: at Nebraska*. W
Oct. 12: Wisconsin*. L
Oct. 19: UCLA*. L
Oct. 26: at USC*. L
Nov. 9: Minnesota*. W
Nov. 16: at Maryland*. Toss Up
Nov. 23: Illinois*. W
Nov. 30: at Michigan State*. L
* - Big Ten

Last edited:
I can't say nobody has said it, I'm not vouching for every post. But having read most of the posts on this board, I've seen lots of posters here talking about "all the people saying we have an easy schedule" and haven't seen anyone say we have an easy schedule. Sounds like a strawman.
Yes for some strange reason that feeling about the upcoming schedule is “ set up for success” has been hinted at. We need to be that team that after 7 games says , “ Rutgers a surprise top 20 team looks like a legit contender in the very tough B1G .”

Reactions: Eagleton96
I think the Big Ten has more quality teams than the SEC but the SEC have maybe stronger 2-4 top teams.

This. For the past 6 or 7 years the SEC has had 1 or 2 great teams followed by a bunch of ok to good teams, but since they won the NC every year and ESPN has a relationship with them they get promoted as the top conference.

There in is the true facts … ESPIN always biased …always anti B1G football and basketball.

Reactions: dmaw
Lol ok not even going to bother

Yes for some strange reason that feeling about the upcoming schedule is “ set up for success” has been hinted at. We need to be that team that after 7 games says , “ Rutgers a surprise top 20 team looks like a legit contender in the very tough B1G .”
Again, set up for success is different than cakewalk or easy. We get a more favorable mix of in conference teams than we have in previous years. So it's definitely our easiest schedule in recent memory. And it coincides with our best team in recent memory. So, yes, that sets up for success, as in 6-7 wins and a shot at a breakout year if we get the breaks. But that's not a cakewalk or easy.

Again, set up for success is different than cakewalk or easy. We get a more favorable mix of in conference teams than we have in previous years. So it's definitely our easiest schedule in recent memory. And it coincides with our best team in recent memory. So, yes, that sets up for success, as in 6-7 wins and a shot at a breakout year if we get the breaks. But that's not a cakewalk or easy.
Never saw the term “ cakewalk” used but …. even the most optimistic fans have refrained from that take.

As I look over the schedule for 2024 I see several teams on the list who are similar . Nebraska, UCLA, V Tech … these are all away ? It will be hard to get to 8 wins… if we can recharge the portal losses and get that QB guy going at a high level maybe . The healthy team gets the advantage …

Washington has 7 guys expected to go in the first 5 rounds of the draft. They're losing QB 1st to 2nd Rd., Tackle 1st Rd., WR#1 1st Rd., WR#2 2nd Rd. WR#3 4th Rd. and two defensive lineman one in the 1st Rd and one expected 5th Rd.. This list does not include seniors out of eligibility. That's a lot of talent for anyone besides maybe 3 to 4 teams to replace.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT