ADVERTISEMENT

New Bubble Next Year?

Will the current location of bubble be converted to parking?

Probably not. The long term plan of Rutgers fielding a competitive team while at the same time reducing parking to zero continues apace.

Move the tennis courts. Plow under the Cornelius Low house. Use all the land between the Hale center parking lot and Rt. 18.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Current bubble is far from everything. Not near the Hale Center, the players have to walk up the ramp, around the outside front of the stadium, and into the bubble. In the rain it defeats the purpose, they get all wet anyway. Makes much more sense to have it near the rest of the practice facility

Up a ramp and into the weather for 200 feet for a team that plays outdoor sports in the fall?

Perish the thought.

It's not suggested about the convenience of parking. It's reality.
While you are correct about building a fanbase, the numbers have more to do with 8 years of Flood/Ash. Winning will bring fans back. The fieldhouse has to be built somewhere. Is there another viable place to build it? Hale Center Parking/former tennis location does not seem like there is enough room.

Lot 48 across from visitor center? But then where do visitors to the visitor center park?
Relocate the President's house?
I like what Kupuna proposes but probably adds to cost. Entrance to Hale Center lot changes to River road since that's like a full story below where it is today and build the practice facility above the parking. Take all the land of the Hale Center parking, Tennis Courts and go right up to the Cornelious Low House. You can then connect Hale Center directly to the Practice facility. Club seat parking can be below as well since their tailgate should be a party within the club...offer them Scarlet parking (as they already do) if they want outdoor tailgating as well. They then need to create the Tennis courts elsewhere...more costs plus the parking garage cost being part of the practice facility. Lastly recoup the space by the bubble and add a combination of more tailgate space as well as better access for those shuttles that barricade off half of Scarlet Knight Way...alleviating the walking back to parking lots. Retains the Yellow lot, etc.

Note: A straight line from Cornelious Low House to the entrance of Hale Center is 580 ft on a straight line. Plenty of space for a Football field length, etc. It is 515 ft wide straight line at the narrowest point of River Rd by Cornelious Low House back to the Marco Battaglia Practice Field (and about 675 ft across front of Hale Center from River Rd to Marco Battaglia practice field. That's well more than what's needed for the width of the building...plus say 20 ft setback

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that new tennis courts and facilities are being built on Livingston. But moving the tennis courts doesn't solve the problem, the Brown lot and tennis court area is still not big enough we were told.

Will the current location of bubble be converted to parking?
That is not a great idea as soccer and lacrosse both will need indoor facilities once they are pushed out of the new football facility. UM, OSU and other have multiple indoor facilities we should not get rid of a perfectly usable one so soccer and lacrosse have to beg to use this new facility.
Just wait until they build the lacrosse facility at the fro t of the blue lot.

The yellow lot is not gone. You are all overreacting over the comments from one poster. The proposed facility is going to straddle between White and Yellow.

Think of how big yellow is. We are not taking that entire footprint lol.

Why the heck do we need a LAX stadium? Went from Yurczak to the Stadium and now they need their own facility?
they can't use Yurczak in February and March for games...they can't event use the football lockers in SHI stadium during games..they are utilizing the football field by default...

Reactions: Leonard23
The yellow lot is not gone. You are all overreacting over the comments from one poster. The proposed facility is going to straddle between White and Yellow.

I think your underestimating the size of an indoor facility, with all the amenities/offices that are being planned. .

need to be creative with space...

I'm sure texas is over the top with amenities, but parking garage with field above and how they fit into space next to the arena is nice concept....

Reactions: RUnTeX
I'm pretty sure that new tennis courts and facilities are being built on Livingston. But moving the tennis courts doesn't solve the problem, the Brown lot and tennis court area is still not big enough we were told.
The brown lot and tennis courts alone aren’t enough, but add in the unused hill between River Rd from Cornelius Low house to the stadium / Hale center and that becomes more than enough. Just need to use the elevation by essentially burying the parking lot down to the River Rd level. Unless they are looking to build something much larger than an indoor football field

The site plan that I am in possession of says otherwise.

And no, I'm not going to post it for reasons that intelligent people understand.

They took away 1/3 of the yellow lot when they built the visitor center. This facility would be much larger than that.

But I hope you are right. Straddling white and yellow would mean that sutphen road goes away in that area. I suppose that’s possible since Campus road effectively replaced its route when it was built in the early 2000’s (on former yellow lot land I might add).

Reactions: RUnTeX

The Yellow Lot is not that big with respect to Parking capacity for our overall season ticket holder base. Only 687 spaces.

The brown lot and tennis courts alone aren’t enough, but add in the unused hill between River Rd from Cornelius Low house to the stadium / Hale center and that becomes more than enough. Just need to use the elevation by essentially burying the parking lot down to the River Rd level. Unless they are looking to build something much larger than an indoor football field
You may not need three fields. Take the turf field and the middle field to build the indoor facility. Leave the grass field closest to the road leading to the Hale Center. Turn the tennis courts and lot (between the tennis court and practice fields) into a half field to be used mainly by the OL and DL.

Reactions: rutgersal
You may not need three fields. Take the turf field and the middle field to build the indoor facility. Leave the grass field closest to the road leading to the Hale Center. Turn the tennis courts and lot (between the tennis court and practice fields) into a half field to be used mainly by the OL and DL.
Another good potential option…however, it doesn’t preserve what they already have with the existing outdoor fields plus the indoor bubble… where the indoor bubble is essentially replaced with an indoor facility.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Why the heck do we need a LAX stadium? Went from Yurczak to the Stadium and now they need their own facility?
The football program wants them out of the stadium and the school will not let them use Yurchak before April 1 and will not put turf in on that field. This has been explained multiple times and the mock-ups for the field have been around for a little while.

Reactions: Leonard23
I think your underestimating the size of an indoor facility, with all the amenities/offices that are being planned. .

need to be creative with space...

I'm sure texas is over the top with amenities, but parking garage with field above and how they fit into space next to the arena is nice concept....

Get creative is right. Pitt’s new facility will be 8-10 stories high.
As for Texas, what they have now is pathetic. Their practice fields are squeezed between a major Highway and an exit.

For those concerned about convenience for the athletes. ND doesn’t have a weight room in their new facility. Their weight room(which they share with all sports) is a further walk than the bubble

The plans are new / most recent.

And I agree with you that it's a boondoggle. We've heard repeatedly that the recruiting focus on facilities is no longer what it was, that recruits are now focused on $$.

It seems that RU is always a step behind.

The cynic in me says that this is a lot (or all) on Greg - this is his last hurrah and he wants to build this massive, insane facility as a monument to himself.
If you saw Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn States facilities, you’d agree that a Fieldhouse is needed to be competitive. Michigan has two indoor facilities. Everyone in the Big Ten has a brand new facility, save for a few programs, including us. Maryland, our biggest rival, has a brand new $300M facility, and has seen an uptick in its recruiting.

Though I agree with you that I do not want to see the Yellow Lot go away. Having parked in Scarlet, Blue, and Yellow, I think Yellow is easily the Best.

But Because of facilities, the coaching staff has to make extraordinary efforts to recruit, and that isn’t easy. We have to send waves of offers to fill our recruiting class.

Most of the ‘24 recruiting class is from outside of New Jersey. The Fieldhouse and improved NIL support reduces needed recruiting effort. Should be built adjacent to Hale Center in the Brown Lot and parking can go underground or in a parking deck.

If you saw Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn States facilities, you’d agree that a Fieldhouse is needed to be competitive. Michigan has two indoor facilities. Everyone in the Big Ten has a brand new facility, save for a few programs, including us. Maryland, our biggest rival, has a brand new $300M facility, and has seen an uptick in its recruiting.

Though I agree with you that I do not want to see the Yellow Lot go away. Having parked in Scarlet, Blue, and Yellow, I think Yellow is easily the Best.

But Because of facilities, the coaching staff has to make extraordinary efforts to recruit, and that isn’t easy. We have to send waves of offers to fill our recruiting class.

Most of the ‘24 recruiting class is from outside of New Jersey. The Fieldhouse and improved NIL support reduces needed recruiting effort. Should be built adjacent to Hale Center in the Brown Lot and parking can go underground or in a parking deck.
Maryland’s converted arena is no nicer than the bubble. Lipstick on a pig

Thinking more about this. There is no reason not to build right on top of Sutphen Rd. In the area straddling the white and yellow lots. Immediately adjacent to the practice fields.

The remaining part of Sutphen road to the east (toward the visitor center and Campus Rd) Can be made into a parking lot.
The existing Sutphen Rd between SK Way and River Rd would remain.

Not sure that is correct
Have you been in it? I have multiple times. They took a basketball arena, emptied it, and put down some turf and some decals. The track that wraps around it upstairs is barely safe to walk on much less train.
It’s also not attached to their facility. Have to walk to it just like the bubble.

Thinking more about this. There is no reason not to build right on top of Sutphen Rd. In the area straddling the white and yellow lots. Immediately adjacent to the practice fields.

The remaining part of Sutphen road to the east (toward the visitor center and Campus Rd) Can be made into a parking lot.
The existing Sutphen Rd between SK Way and River Rd would remain.
That's the plan from what I was told.

Have you been in it? I have multiple times. They took a basketball arena, emptied it, and put down some turf and some decals. The track that wraps around it upstairs is barely safe to walk on much less train.
It’s also not attached to their facility. Have to walk to it just like the bubble.
I’ve been outside not inside. But you can easily find video which shows the Fieldhouse to be far more impressive than the bubble.

I’ve been outside not inside. But you can easily find video which shows the Fieldhouse to be far more impressive than the bubble.

Like I said. Turf and some stickers. Is it the windows that impress you? It is no more functional than the bubble. I’ve been in it many times for soccer. Any indoor facility needs to be connected to the outdoor fields with “garage doors” that allow access in and out. Check out BC. Check out ND.

Like I said. Turf and some stickers. Is it the windows that impress you? It is no more functional than the bubble. I’ve been in it many times for soccer.
What’s funny when the giants switched to field house from bubble they complained about how less functional it was. There was less available practice space. But man it looked much better aesthetically.

What’s funny when the giants switched to field house from bubble they complained about how less functional it was. There was less available practice space. But man it looked much better aesthetically.
They are definitely less functional from a football stadium but if done right they are really great facilities. You can have training rooms, media rooms, nutrition areas, storage, weight rooms etc. Maryland has none of that. ND has everything but the weight room.
This summer that I can remember, I visited Maryland, ND, ole miss, Texas, Pitt, BC, Georgetown, Michigan, Florida, Indiana, and I’m sure I’m missing a few. Their facilities range a great deal but our outdoor facility is as nice any school out there.

Last edited:
They are definitely less functional from a football stadium but if done right they are really great facilities. You can have training rooms, media rooms, nutrition areas, storage, weight rooms etc. Maryland has none of that. ND has everything but the weight room.
This summer that I can remember, I visited Maryland, ND, ole miss, Texas, Pitt, BC, Georgetown, Michigan, Indiana, and I’m sure I’m missing a few. Their facilities range a great deal but our outdoor facility is as nice any school out there.
Agreed. Merely pointing out how functional the bubble has been and continues to be and that the Giants, payers and coaches preferred the usefulness of the bubble Field house should have been built years ago. I hope we don't cut corners.

Last edited:
Reactions: EmptySeats
Like I said. Turf and some stickers. Is it the windows that impress you? It is no more functional than the bubble. I’ve been in it many times for soccer. Any indoor facility needs to be connected to the outdoor fields with “garage doors” that allow access in and out. Check out BC. Check out ND.

It’s the aesthetics which are impressive.
None of this is for functionality sake. It’s all for recruiting. Miami is building their own brand new football operations center. It’s either keep up or get left behind.

It’s the aesthetics which are impressive.
None of this is for functionality sake. It’s all for recruiting. Miami is building their own brand new football operations center. It’s either keep up or get left behind.

What aesthetics? The windows? The rest of their facilities don’t even come close to ours.
Miami? They share a weight room with all their teams and it’s not even that big. Went on a visit there as well. Forgot about Clemson as well. Their facilities are sick.

Which why this idea (getting rid of) might “sell” because they aren’t full.
agree BUT I think they are basing decisions on short term look back vs. "what could be" if we keep this up. But as an Eco grad (I'm hoping) perhaps they've run models to calculate future income streams either way.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT