ADVERTISEMENT

New Bubble Next Year?

If parking became so limited on Busch with all of the master plans where I got pushed to Livingston (I currently qualify for Blue but choose Black) I would drop my season tickets in a heart beat. The only reason clung onto my season tickets over the past 6-8 years was because of the ability to tailgate and connect with family/friends prior to the game.
And you would be back in half a heartbeat as soon as the team wins 8+ games in 1 season.

And you would be back in half a heartbeat as soon as the team wins 8+ games in 1 season.

He might (although I take him at his word).

A lot of us would not. Gone is gone. As I said, if the yellow lot goes then me and Dad are out and I'm gonna drop a couple hundred Gs on a cruising sailboat - which I had always intended to do going into retirement, but this would hasten that timetable by 2 or 3 years.

If parking became so limited on Busch because of all these new facilities that I got pushed to a real crap lot (Light Blue) or even Livingston….nah I would be out on season tickets my dude. Would I drive the 60 miles each way for a big game or two that season - yea I would.

An 8 win season isn’t all that great in the grand scheme of the BIG10. We should be able to get 8 wins without a shiny new indoor practice facility - our facilities are more than adequate to get us to 8 win seasons.

This. We're the only fanbase who will drop our season tickets because of parking. You know most big time programs do not have the amount of parking we have on campus?

Next post: We're 8-0 and I can't stand that the stadium is packed.

We’re also one of the only fanbases who has had to experience being the worst Power 5 team (and of all college football) for a number of years.

But yea let’s crap on our season ticket holders who didn’t ditch the program during these atrocious years.

This. We're the only fanbase who will drop our season tickets because of parking. You know most big time programs do not have the amount of parking we have on campus?

Next post: We're 8-0 and I can't stand that the stadium is packed.
Agreed many of our peers do not have the amount of parking. Many of our peers don't have close by tailgating lots. But do you know what most of our peers have? True downtown or on campus stadiums., conveniently located to bars/restaurants/hotels/dorms/fraternities public parking lots etc...

I have been to most SEC, B1G and Acc stadiums. We have a distinct advantage with many close by lots (which many do not want to see gone). But the biggest disadvantage of this isolated location it is not conveniently located for pedestrian access or alternative tailgating venues.

Have you been in it? I have multiple times. They took a basketball arena, emptied it, and put down some turf and some decals. The track that wraps around it upstairs is barely safe to walk on much less train.
It’s also not attached to their facility. Have to walk to it just like the bubble.
The football team is entirely self-contained in Jones-Hill House (part of which is the "converted arena"). They even have a tunnel from there directly into the football stadium to keep their shells dry. And everything they need (weight room of course) is in there.

Maybe you saw it during construction, when they were still headquartered in Gossett...

Last edited:
Waste of time as far as location since only one person in this thread knows the old location, new location and now future location, lol. All other recommendations must first be passed to his source for further approval at which time he will come back and tell us all that he knows something none of us do. 😁

Reactions: RUskoolie
Something that I think the people criticizing the "save the lots" people is:

Tailgating is part and parcel to the entire game experience for some (many?).
"Other big time programs don't have close lots and they deal with it" - well those fans don't have the legacy experience and attachment to the atmosphere then.

Me personally - I couldn't care less about losing the Yellow Lot or any other lot. Even when I still have season tickets for a couple years - we parked at the RAC and shuttled it.
I've never been a consistant tailgater. However, my roommate from RU has been tailgating there for 40 years (his parents met at RU and they have been going to games literally his entire life). So yes it would suck not being able to tailgate in Yellow with them on occasion. But that's not part of my Rutgers experience. I don't blame others for having that experience though and prioritizing it.

Especially since historically we've been so bad. So the tailgate was the ONLY positive experience.
It's hard to say "well you'll be back if we start winning" since we haven't actually started winning yet.
It's a "hope" that winning will replace the loss of tailgating experience. But it's still just hope for now.

These big programs don't need close tailgate lots - they have ingrained a legacy of winning as part of the game experience. You'll deal with crappy tailgate situations if it's all you've ever known and it comes along with winning.

The football team is entirely self-contained in Jones-Hill House (the "converted arena"). They even have a tunnel from there directly into the football stadium to keep their shells dry. And everything they need (weight room of course) is in there.

Maybe you saw it during construction, when they were still headquartered in Gossett...
I stand corrected. It was explained to us as two separate and distinct facilities.
@rutgersal you were correct.

Reactions: rutgersal
It would not fit there. Its not a large enough space.
Why do you say that? What's the footprint that you think is required? Note: According to Google Maps, a straight line from Cornelious Low House to the entrance of Hale Center is 580 ft. Plenty of space for a Football field length, etc. It is 515 ft wide straight line at the narrowest point of River Rd by Cornelious Low House back to the Marco Battaglia Practice Field (and about 675 ft across front of Hale Center from River Rd to Marco Battaglia practice field. That's well more than what's needed for the width of the building...plus say 20 ft setback.

Could you describe the public image that RU projects as you see it from afar? My guess it that it's not universal but there could be definite validity to some aspects of it.
Very Progressive. I planned not to use the word "woke", but I can't think of a better one. In other words, very liberal, bordering on left wing radical.

Reactions: BlockR
Don't be stupid. But, flying the flag is usually interpreted as being more conservative than liberal.
I’d imagine many if not most of the football fans have different views than many of the faculty/students.
Don’t think the young Marxist club is in the yellow lot.

I’d imagine many if not most of the football fans have different views than many of the faculty/students.
Don’t think the young Marxist club is in the yellow lot.
I did see the Illinois Nazis though!

He might (although I take him at his word).

A lot of us would not. Gone is gone. As I said, if the yellow lot goes then me and Dad are out and I'm gonna drop a couple hundred Gs on a cruising sailboat - which I had always intended to do going into retirement, but this would hasten that timetable by 2 or 3 years.

Don't be stupid. But, flying the flag is usually interpreted as being more conservative than liberal.
What? You might have a point if they were flying Trump flags, but flying US flags seems like no big deal. In fact, it should make a university proud.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Why do you say that? What's the footprint that you think is required? Note: According to Google Maps, a straight line from Cornelious Low House to the entrance of Hale Center is 580 ft. Plenty of space for a Football field length, etc. It is 515 ft wide straight line at the narrowest point of River Rd by Cornelious Low House back to the Marco Battaglia Practice Field (and about 675 ft across front of Hale Center from River Rd to Marco Battaglia practice field. That's well more than what's needed for the width of the building...plus say 20 ft setback.
The brown lot is literally built on a cliff. I cannot imagine the Engineering required to make that work (and the cost for excavation, walls and lord knows what else. That's a likely reason why its not going there. JMO.

The brown lot is literally built on a cliff. I cannot imagine the Engineering required to make that work (and the cost for excavation, walls and lord knows what else. That's a likely reason why its not going there. JMO.
Ok. That makes sense. I essentially said it would be the best place for it but cost would be a factor. Although, sometimes there are different buckets of money that can be combined. I doubt this is the case, but if capital is budgeted separately for parking garages then it might be able to combine parking garage capital with Field House capital from 2 different University budgets.

Perhaps a dumb question but how do the current practice fields and Hale Center fit into the plans?

Wouldn't the new facility replace at least a portion of them?
Will they be connected and incorporated?

It seems the Bubble is staying.
Would all of the current practice fields stay?
Would that free up space?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I can understand your points. I have been on many college tours in much more densely populated urban locations. Parking and the need to line up buses were never an issue. The fact that the Visitors Center is on the southernmost part of Busch campus (away from academic buildings) where you are forced to bus created the excess need for additional parking and busses to other campuses. This is part of planning, seeing the next project and how it could fit in. If the visiting center was placed on College Ave prior to the Yard and honors college it would have created a much more cohesive and collegiate experience. Walking tour versus bussing tour.

I understand a location for game day usage but I would think that space would have been better utilized building out an entertainment site within the stadium.
There is no world in which you cover all of the campuses at Rutgers on a walking tour. I've *done* that walk, and it was 13 miles. Scarlet Ambassadors used to do individual campus walking tours, and frankly, we didn't get a lot of interest in comparison to our bus tours which is why those were phased out. During the busy season, tours can involve as many as 200 people, four buses, across all four campuses at once, several times a day. It may have been different before Scarlet Ambassadors and modern Rutgers admissions, but we're not in the Rutgers College days anymore with Scarlet Key.

The fact that the visitors center is on Busch means that this doesn't interfere with campus activities. Anywhere the visitors center was put would have had to be somewhere we could load\unload buses and provide visitor parking for at least 60 cars.

We’re also one of the only fanbases who has had to experience being the worst Power 5 team (and of all college football) for a number of years.

But yea let’s crap on our season ticket holders who didn’t ditch the program during these atrocious years.

And then right back at you. Let's crap on the University for trying to improve something to be succcessful by giving up season tickets.

We also have the worst Power 5 fanbase for getting worked up over LITERALLY the dumbest things.

The "I can't tailgate close to the stadium so I'm giving up my season tickets" is the ultimate I'm taking my ball and going home with it statement ever.

There is no world in which you cover all of the campuses at Rutgers on a walking tour. I've *done* that walk, and it was 13 miles. Scarlet Ambassadors used to do individual campus walking tours, and frankly, we didn't get a lot of interest in comparison to our bus tours which is why those were phased out. During the busy season, tours can involve as many as 200 people, four buses, across all four campuses at once, several times a day. It may have been different before Scarlet Ambassadors and modern Rutgers admissions, but we're not in the Rutgers College days anymore with Scarlet Key.

The fact that the visitors center is on Busch means that this doesn't interfere with campus activities. Anywhere the visitors center was put would have had to be somewhere we could load\unload buses and provide visitor parking for at least 60 cars.
Who said anything about covering all campuses on a walking tour. You walk from one end of college ave to the other. If people wish to go to the other campuses they then get on buses either waiting in front of the barn or the yard. Take that bus to other campuses and walk that campus. Rinse and repeat.

The only thing that putting the visitors center on Busch was guaranteeing you need to bus to all of the campuses.

And then right back at you. Let's crap on the University for trying to improve something to be succcessful by giving up season tickets.

We also have the worst Power 5 fanbase for getting worked up over LITERALLY the dumbest things.

The "I can't tailgate close to the stadium so I'm giving up my season tickets" is the ultimate I'm taking my ball and going home with it statement ever.
This…SO this! There are many many many big time and successful programs whose fans tailgate FAR from their stadium and still have a blast. Walk a little more…chances are said whinny tail gaters could use the exercise!

Who said anything about covering all campuses on a walking tour. You walk from one end of college ave to the other. If people wish to go to the other campuses they then get on buses either waiting in front of the barn or the yard. Take that bus to other campuses and walk that campus. Rinse and repeat.

The only thing that putting the visitors center on Busch was guaranteeing you need to bus to all of the campuses.
Yeah, not sure if you read my post, but we tried that, people didn't want it, and we went back to doing the five campus bus tour.

Reactions: Leonard23

You may think discussing and being concerned about how the Yellow (and potentially Blue lot) will be impacted by athletic facilities is dumb. But I don’t.

It not only impacts those lots and season tickets holders - any major/big construction will impact all of the other lots/season ticket holders.

If parking got so limited down the road that I was pushed to the RAC I would most likely give up my tickets. If the Yellow and Blue lots got wiped out it’s a serious possibility for a lot of season ticket holders (I don’t think this will actually happen though).

Sorry but tailgating on Busch is a big part of the game experience for me.

I also have basketball season tickets and travel 60 miles each away over 20 times a year football/basketball games. I’ve had football season tickets since I graduated (2011).

I think I’m allowed to have an opinion about hoping they keep their season ticket holders in mind when it comes to major decisions. And if we’re being real - Rutgers hasn’t always had the best track record of cultivating students, alums, fans and donors.

Sorry if my opinion doesn’t align with your opinion. Maybe you enjoy tailgating at the RAC?

This…SO this! There are many many many big time and successful programs whose fans tailgate FAR from their stadium and still have a blast. Walk a little more…chances are said whinny tail gaters could use the exercise!

Except we haven’t ever been close to a big time successful football program. We also don’t have an easily accessible downtown/bar scene by the stadium (which some of these big schools have).

Just curious - are you a season ticket holder? Looks like you may reside in the big state of Texas.

It needs to be considered carefully.
I have my own selfish reasons for wanting the Yellow lot to remain. But you have to recognize that there is value to the program, having the majority of fans (home and visiting fans) take that walk down SK Way between the hundreds of tailgate parties in Blue and Yellow. If you dont believe me, waitch the vlog by the Virginia Tech guys that came away very impressed by the gameday atmosphere. "More American Flags than I've ever seen" is paraphrasing one of them.
All we are saying is hey Rutgers, lets do everything we can to preserve that environment.

You may think discussing and being concerned about how the Yellow (and potentially Blue lot) will be impacted by athletic facilities is dumb. But I don’t.

It not only impacts those lots and season tickets holders - any major/big construction will impact all of the other lots/season ticket holders.

If parking got so limited down the road that I was pushed to the RAC I would most likely give up my tickets. If the Yellow and Blue lots got wiped out it’s a serious possibility for a lot of season ticket holders (I don’t think this will actually happen though).

Sorry but tailgating on Busch is a big part of the game experience for me.

I also have basketball season tickets and travel 60 miles each away over 20 times a year football/basketball games. I’ve had football season tickets since I graduated (2011).

I think I’m allowed to have an opinion about hoping they keep their season ticket holders in mind when it comes to major decisions. And if we’re being real - Rutgers hasn’t always had the best track record of cultivating students, alums, fans and donors.

Sorry if my opinion doesn’t align with your opinion. Maybe you enjoy tailgating at the RAC?
I don't disagree that there is a trickle down effect of any decision and certainly that your priority is what it is. But also the reason to not build something on a piece of land that is used 6-7 times a year as opposed to year-round, is not enough of a reason.

We all want better for the program and a true indoor facility would help not only football, but could/would help some of the other athletic programs (and the university) as well.

If we're looking to get into comparative reasons why an opinion may matter more, I'll have at it. I've been a season ticket holder since 2005 and was out of state for the last 7 years and flew back for several games each year. The reason I come back is for the game and to support the program, which everything else is revolved around. Yes fan experience is part of it, but success leads to fans, which leads to revenue.

I'll agree that the cultivation of fans by Rutgers has not always been their strong suit and don't always follow through. But, if the program isn't successful, you're not going to be able to have the chance to cultivate any of that. A facility let's you do that and winning is the ultimate cultivator.

If I'm priced out to the RAC to park, then so be it. That means we have been sucessful beyond our wildest dreams. I'll tailgate in a parking lot (true NJ style) and catch the bus to support the program.

It looks like many schools have 2 outdoor fields and one indoor field. Can we just enclose one of the outdoor fields and put garage doors on the edge like Florida has? See 1:20 in this video Looks like UNC has a very similar setup as well with garage doors along a majority of the indoor field opening to the outdoor fields.

I don't disagree that there is a trickle down effect of any decision and certainly that your priority is what it is. But also the reason to not build something on a piece of land that is used 6-7 times a year as opposed to year-round, is not enough of a reason.

We all want better for the program and a true indoor facility would help not only football, but could/would help some of the other athletic programs (and the university) as well.

If we're looking to get into comparative reasons why an opinion may matter more, I'll have at it. I've been a season ticket holder since 2005 and was out of state for the last 7 years and flew back for several games each year. The reason I come back is for the game and to support the program, which everything else is revolved around. Yes fan experience is part of it, but success leads to fans, which leads to revenue.

I'll agree that the cultivation of fans by Rutgers has not always been their strong suit and don't always follow through. But, if the program isn't successful, you're not going to be able to have the chance to cultivate any of that. A facility let's you do that and winning is the ultimate cultivator.

If I'm priced out to the RAC to park, then so be it. That means we have been sucessful beyond our wildest dreams. I'll tailgate in a parking lot (true NJ style) and catch the bus to support the program.

Fair points.

I’m not meaning to be a crazy complainer but really do hope when they make these facilities decisions they think about the downstream impacts (parking availability, gameday experience, scarlet walk, boardwalk etc). If we decimate half of the Busch parking for these new facilities and still stink or are even just average for an extended period of time don’t be surprised if season ticket holders who love the tailgating experience hang it up.

The indoor practice facility will be nice but it will also put us on par with most major programs. It will help with recruiting, but I don’t think it’s going to be the massive game changer some people think it will be. Also - I don’t think it would be used by other athletic teams under Greg’s watch and probably be used 20-30 times a year considering we’ll be outside on the full sized fields when it’s nice/mild out.

Except we haven’t ever been close to a big time successful football program. We also don’t have an easily accessible downtown/bar scene by the stadium (which some of these big schools have).

Just curious - are you a season ticket holder? Looks like you may reside in the big state of Texas.

It's been my observation over the last 30ish years that whenever one of these threads pops up the people who are most loudly and anxiously 100% on the side of "you're a bunch of whiners, just give them whatever they want" are people who either don't have season tickets or are not donors.

There are exceptions, of course - but they're precisely that.

It looks like many schools have 2 outdoor fields and one indoor field. Can we just enclose one of the outdoor fields and put garage doors on the edge like Florida has? See 1:20 in this video Looks like UNC has a very similar setup as well with garage doors along a majority of the indoor field opening to the outdoor fields.
I took the measurements of the UofF facility which includes indoor amenities, as Queztastic pointed out, by listening to 1:20 of the video. According to Google Maps, the size of UofF's facility LxW (outdoor point to point) is approx 431'x201'. If you look at Rutgers outdoor facility and measure the space from about halfway between the grass fields to halfway between the Grass/Turf fields and the space from the corner of the entrance to the outdoor field to the brick wall, the LxW is 531'x221'. Hence there is space to fit that right in the middle, replacing the middle (grass) field. Can't really do it with the grass field closest to SK Way as the road impinges on the space as it goes toward Hale Center....unless you take some of Sutphen Rd and push it back using the tree'd corner (SK Way/Sutphen Rd) of the Yellow Lot...which would not impinge on the Yellow lot tailgating much at all...but will require taking down a big part of the somewhat new brick wall to the Outdoor facility. One could also reroute the entrance to Hale Center to run just to the side (closest to Rt. 18) of the White lot and turn into the back of the Brown lot. If that was done then the roadway to Hale Center can be lifted and the Field House could be connected to the Hale Center while taking no parking away be it Hale/Brown lot, White Lot or Yellow Lot...but prevents people from being able to fully walk around stadium without walking around both the indoor/outdoor facility, unless a wide walk path can be created to be opened during game day or when needed. so, there are some additional options without excavating the hill of the Brown Lot down to River Road or without taking up the Yellow Lot. However, it does reduce the number of practice fields (from 4, including the bubble, to 3...assuming the bubble goes away with the addition of the indoor field).

And right back at you. Let's fight with each other, call names, etc without understanding that different people have different perspectives and points of view.

Everybody’s all over the place. Here’s what we know.

1. 4real is a trusted poster, andseems to be very connected. I don’t doubt that he seen the blueprints.

2. Nothing is set in stone yet.

3. We need a field house It’s not debateable

4. Rutgers has done a piss poor job with facilities. Yursak field in the middle of the blue lot, mismatch buildings over campus, the visitor center, etc..

5. We also have a few things working against us. They are RUscrew were students felt slighted while they attended and vowed to never give money, historically terrible football, and, of course, the over bearing Middlesex county police, who in the past have been a nightmare. Additionally, shutting down the alley, and other student avenues to tailgate does not make it easier, and having a Spread out campus not exactly historically filled with die hard sports fans complicates things

It’s well known that the people in charge read this board and that we have one of the better tailgate scenes and all of college football

Let’s hope the powers that they take what we have the same consideration before arbitrarily making a decision yet I gotta run to the bar and grab some of that could be extremely shortsighted

I see the difference between RU fans and Bama fans in this thread.

Saban: Alabama Football is building another new facility in this parking lot. You guys gotta move your tailgate and continue to donate.

Tide Fans: Roll Tide!!!!!!!

Schiano: Rutgers Football is building our first football facility in the Yellow……..

RU Fans: Get the f*** off my lawn. We want to tailgate and enter the stadium in the second quarter!!!!

LMFAO‼️
That's like comparing an apple tree to an orange tree. What's the mindset here? Well they're both trees?

That’s odd because that is the way pretty much every college tour I have been on has been conducted.
Most colleges don't have five separate campuses that people are interested in looking at. The comparative sign ups for the bus tour vs walking tours were apparently not close.

Most colleges don't have five separate campuses that people are interested in looking at. The comparative sign ups for the bus tour vs walking tours were apparently not close.
Many large schools have campuses spread out maybe not as far as Rutgers but similarly. I would regularly attend our peer universities on recruitment trips and go on campus tours. The tours centered around main campus and if you chose to go to specific professional schools, business, engineering etc… you would board a separate bus or arrange a separate tour. I can’t imagine there are many people that choose to attend a tour of all 5 campuses. That is an exceptional waste of time.

This thread is like the '" gap thread" when the stadium was being expanded .lots of speculation and self proclaimed experts.all projects have many different designs,locations and ever changing footprints.based upon the length of time it has taken to even give a start date for the RAC renovation, this field house may not even start during the Schiano/ Hobbs tenure.

Yes.. the whole President's house and lawn should be considered as buildable as the Yellow Lot. Just build a Presidents House somewhere else on campus. Modernize it.. build it to serve its purpose. Start teh winning right there.. everyone wins... football wins, yellowlotters win, President wins.. win-win-win. Build a private tailgate area there too with facilities for the President to host tailgates there. Nothing we build is cheap.. get something for it.

And it is a hill.. they could build an underground tunnel from the stadium if they wanted to (not that I think it is needed).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT