ADVERTISEMENT

NJ.com Poll- Nearly 52% Want Schiano

Predict that Nunzio drops in the poll each week he is on the sidelines for RU FB.

So more than half the fans want a coach that has gone 9-2 vs FCS teams, losses to UNH and Villanova, 4-1 vs Buffalo, 6-2 vs Navy, 7-0 vs Army, 0-10 vs Miami, Va. Tech and BC, 2-2 vs Temple, 5-5 vs UConn, 6-5 vs Syracuse, 5-6 vs. Pitt, 0-11 vs. WVU, 5-2 vs. USF, 3-4 vs Louisville, and 2-5 vs Cincy(0-4 vs Brian Kelly). Only coach he dominated was Leavitt. He's a .500 coach who isn't going to outcoach anyone. If we hire him, he will be in the bottom half of coaches 8-14 with very little chance to move up, I don't understand why we should settle for that a second time. We should strive for a better coach.

Update:

Greg Schiano (free agent) 53.28% (2,232 votes)

Al Golden (Detroit Lions) 12.25% (513 votes)

Nunzio Campanile (Rutgers) 6.21% (260 votes)

Other (let us know who in comments) 5.2% (218 votes)

Bob Surace (Princeton) 5.18% (217 votes)

Jeff Monken (Army) 5.16% (216 votes)

Butch Jones (Alabama) 4.68% (196 votes)

Joe Moorhead (Mississippi State) 3.01% (126 votes)

Willie Fritz (Tulane) 2.67% (112 votes)

Lance Leipold (Buffalo) 1.62% (68 votes)

Jason Candle (Toledo) 0.74% (31 votes)

Total Votes: 4,189

So more than half the fans want a coach that has gone 9-2 vs FCS teams, losses to UNH and Villanova, 4-1 vs Buffalo, 6-2 vs Navy, 7-0 vs Army, 0-10 vs Miami, Va. Tech and BC, 2-2 vs Temple, 5-5 vs UConn, 6-5 vs Syracuse, 5-6 vs. Pitt, 0-11 vs. WVU, 5-2 vs. USF, 3-4 vs Louisville, and 2-5 vs Cincy(0-4 vs Brian Kelly). Only coach he dominated was Leavitt. He's a .500 coach who isn't going to outcoach anyone. If we hire him, he will be in the bottom half of coaches 8-14 with very little chance to move up, I don't understand why we should settle for that a second time. We should strive for a better coach.
Digging out of completely pathetic vs. winning a conference with conference winning talent are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

The guy for this job is the guy who lost 84-7 to WVU in year one and OVERCAME IT.

With the talent we have vs the talent level we play, the "game day coach" is useless.

Any coach that comes in here is going to get torched for two or three years. Do you know how unattractive that is to recruits?

You got to get the guy who makes kids believe he will make them into the best football players they can be. That belief is the only thing that overcomes the destruction they're seeing with their own two eyes. That's what GS thrives on selling and why he is perfect for this situation, right now.

The other thing I haven't heard mentioned is how many times Schiano finished second or third in recruiting battles. He's also going to thrive with the transfer portal.

Reactions: redking
I like the comment” it’s okay if you don’t want Schiano back but to try and say what he did here was anything less than extraordinary” is not acceptable. Schiano was part of the aolution. Those who trash him are a huge part of the problem. I will take Schiano or someone better. Nothing less.
The problem is...many of us that prefer someone else is always labeled as a hater who doesn’t respect what he did here previously. It isn’t true

Reactions: sherrane
The problem is...many of us that prefer someone else is always labeled as a hater who doesn’t respect what he did here previously. It isn’t true
Fair and balanced opinions are fine. I may not agree with you but you are fair and balanced. Big difference between your comments and some of the others here. Night and day really.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
True and it shouldn't be that way.

There are those who just want Schiano because he done it before.
I understand that feeling, but realize Schiano might not be able to do it again or not as fast as another could.
Greg's not an assured success, none of the possible Ash replacements are.

The never Greg group doesn't care to look at reasons why he can succeed, they just want the reasons he will fail agreed with.
Not everyone that questions hiring Schiano hate or dislike him, they just might not think he the best option of all the names floating out there in Ash replacement land.

Those in the middle that aren't thrilled with the idea of Greg coming back but will accept and support him if he's hired , only want more options looked at and believe there are better ones out there.
But because they aren't 100% Schiano is the one, only one, they are labeled anti.

Those who post Schiano's attributes and say he'd be a good hire , are labeled only Greg posters. Even if they said there are better but Rutgers probably won't pay their price, making Schiano the best available of those who would accept what Rutgers probably will be offering

Reactions: Knight Shift
True and it shouldn't be that way.

There are those who just want Schiano because he done it before.
I understand that feeling, but realize Schiano might not be able to do it again or not as fast as another could.
Greg's not an assured success, none of the possible Ash replacements are.

The never Greg group doesn't care to look at reasons why he can succeed, they just want the reasons he will fail agreed with.
Not everyone that questions hiring Schiano hate or dislike him, they just might not think he the best option of all the names floating out there in Ash replacement land.

Those in the middle that aren't thrilled with the idea of Greg coming back but will accept and support him if he's hired , only want more options looked at and believe there are better ones out there.
But because they aren't 100% Schiano is the one, only one, they are labeled anti.

Those who post Schiano's attributes and say he'd be a good hire , are labeled only Greg posters. Even if they said there are better but Rutgers probably won't pay their price, making Schiano the best available of those who would accept what Rutgers probably will be offering
I think I fit into the last paragraph as I think there are better options if we are willing to pay. But if Greg is available at about $3m then he may be a perfect stop gap as we may be for him as well. And I would be ok with that.

I don’t understand the anti-Gregs.

Based on their constant droning, they would have us believe there are a significant number among us who believe GS is the only viable choice at any price.

Hello, Strawmen. That’s ridiculous.

Greg is a great choice, better than many names that have been tossed around here. Period.

Based on their constant droning, they would have us believe there are a significant number among us who believe GS is the only viable choice at any price.

Greg is a great choice, better than many names that have been tossed around here. Period.

It is not a strawman if there are some here who actually posted that many times.

I think I fit into the last paragraph as I think there are better options if we are willing to pay. But if Greg is available at about $3m then he may be a perfect stop gap as we may be for him as well. And I would be ok with that.
I think I’m pretty much in line with you here. When Ash got fired so early I thought for sure it was gonna he Greg. But now I am actually happy Hobbs is kicking every tire and talking to all the NJ coaches, former players, etc. most important to me is Greg can do the job but if we can find someone better and this state gets behind whoever it is then we have a chance to turn this thing around. We need a CEO, a top notch staff, great recruiters and a bigger and better fanbase. Should be easy lol.

I think I’m pretty much in line with you here. When Ash got fired so early I thought for sure it was gonna he Greg. But now I am actually happy Hobbs is kicking every tire and talking to all the NJ coaches, former players, etc. most important to me is Greg can do the job but if we can find someone better and this state gets behind whoever it is then we have a chance to turn this thing around. We need a CEO, a top notch staff, great recruiters and a bigger and better fanbase. Should be easy lol.

Also it is not just about finding someone better than Schiano, since most people would be pretty happy with him coming back here, it is that he may not want to come back here. If Hobbs is going around asking people about Schiano, clearly Hobbs is not the issue here. It is extremely important NOT to put all of our eggs in one basket, we have money now and money equals options.

While there may be a few "Never-Greg" posters, most are being labelled as "Anti-Greg" simply based on the fact that they want a thorough search and accept that while Greg certainly did very good things for RU, he does have his flaws and there is no guarantee he will do the same given the current state of RU.
The current issue with this board is that there are a contingent of posters who seem to only want Greg, at all costs.....can't understand why he was not already hired and who have stated they will never be back or want Hobbs fired if Greg is not brought back....without knowing if Greg is even interested. Today's daily diatribe example of this mentality.......... https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/if-hobbs-doesnt-hire-schiano.177004/page-2#post-4093465

Personally - I'm open to Schiano coming back. But not at all costs and not without a thorough search. The last two guys were hired in a hasty - rushed manner, and obviously both failed miserably.

I’d like to see how Hafley would do in the poll- just curious.

In addition, it’s interesting that Al Golden is by far the clear 2nd choice...what do these anomalies say about the poll?

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT