ADVERTISEMENT

NJ & PA State Tournaments Thread

Him vs Knox should be a good one. I think Knox is too much but Wehner is on a mission this tournament
Yeah should be fun, hopefully. I believe Knox had a 15 second fall in his qf match.

As they should be expected if they are going to help bring this program to a higher status.
Exactly, beating non ranked hs kids is one thing.. but once they enter b10.. will be up against 5th year Sr, past AA and national champs, and pretty much everyone was a highly touted recruit coming out of hs… we need someone special.. feels kinda long since a dominant force came out of NJ…(compete for national title right away).. i guess last one was Suriano… feels like in the early 2010s there would be like 3-4NJ guys in the finals.. now feels like less..

Reactions: LETSGORU91
What a total garbage call to screw Ford. Just terrible.

He got royally screwed , he might have pinned Jones or atleast had backs if they didn’t stop it , then that stall call just ridiculous

Nah. He slammed Jones on his takedown when he jumped up with Jones over his shoulder and Jones landed on his back, so he never should've even gotten 2. It should've been 4-2 Jones with the penalty point. Who knows what happens after that.

Last edited:
Nah. He slammed Jones on his takedown when he jumped up with Jones over his shoulder and Jones landed on his back, so he never should've even gotten 2. It should've been 4-2 Jones with the penalty point. Who knows what happens after that.
Totally agree…Ford needed to be smarter when returning Jones to the mat. It was a great show of strength and power by Ford but he’s lucky Jones didn’t get seriously hurt.

Reactions: Leonard23
Exactly, beating non ranked hs kids is one thing.. but once they enter b10.. will be up against 5th year Sr, past AA and national champs, and pretty much everyone was a highly touted recruit coming out of hs… we need someone special.. feels kinda long since a dominant force came out of NJ…(compete for national title right away).. i guess last one was Suriano… feels like in the early 2010s there would be like 3-4NJ guys in the finals.. now feels like less..
Anthony Knox will be a 4x all American. I’ve heard coaches say he’d contend for a NCAA medal right now if he was eligible. He’s special.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Anthony Knox will be a 4x all American. I’ve heard coaches say he’d contend for a NCAA medal right now if he was eligible. He’s special.
Knox is in a league of his own right now. If he can stay healthy and assuming he’s still got room to develop anything is possible.

Most impressive accomplishment if you ask me - the Delran kid Roskos that took out Gabe Logan and I think lost in UTB in the semis is going to Bucknell to play soccer and is apparently one of the best players in NJ.

Most impressive accomplishment if you ask me - the Delran kid Roskos that took out Gabe Logan and I think lost in UTB in the semis is going to Bucknell to play soccer and is apparently one of the best players in NJ.
Yeah he’s incredible. I know the Delran soccer coach, he’s been raving about Roskos the soccer player for years so I’ve heard the name in passing before. I had no idea he was a good wrestler. Good for him.

Yes… it’s a bummer we barely missed him.. Grey is a pretty good recruiter he lands a lot of good NJ kids.

Both Lewis and Griffith won titles as freshman (which Suriano didnt) Just 2 seasons ago we had Suriano , glory , Lewis and Griffith in the finals , last year only had glory but had lewis, van ness, Griffith and foca wrestling for 3rd …this season van ness probably would have ran through 149 and he ll have 3 more season movin forward where we ll see him in the finals , Stanich has a shot at 125, maybe Ramirez at 165 ,Lewis or Griffith or possibly both with starocci inj will be in the 174 final and Foca has a shot at making the 184 final which isn’t too bad in a down year. ..I think part of the issue is delbarton has been the best In the state for years now and I can’t think of a single AA they produced except Glory, and Blair hasn’t had an ncaa finalist since Mckenna,hopefully guys like van ness , tj stewart, Marc Anthony Mcgowan can change that

Reactions: KidDagger
Yes… it’s a bummer we barely missed him.. Grey is a pretty good recruiter he lands a lot of good NJ kids.
Grey literally called the kid at 12:00 as per the knox recruitment video that Flo made. I think he definitely let's it known that he wanted him. But it's Ivy, he's got strong NJ ties, the team is good and they have a new facility and strong history, so there's all that.

I think part of the issue is delbarton has been the best In the state for years now and I can’t think of a single AA they produced except Glory
Mike Grey but I’m not sure if you were going back that far.

Question: are we recruiting DeJesus at all? Or is he a red flag? 3 schools, 3 years? Not sure if we need him either, but wondering who's recruiting him at the very least.

Hennrich: to be honest, I know this kid finds ways to win and has a good shot ar being a 2x'er but I'm not sold on him. I don't think he'll have the same success in college. I just don't see enough offense. Most of the wins (granted it's states) are squeaky close.

Really happy with the recruits we're getting around that weight. I think they all have a higher upside. Just an opinion, though, VT with a Henson partner could be a difference maker.

Mike Grey but I’m not sure if you were going back that far.
i was thinking no way it could be Perrelli and Grey but I think those are the last AAs from delbarton , seems Stoll knows how to produce top high school guys but they either burn out or just aren’t prepared for college wrestling

Question: are we recruiting DeJesus at all? Or is he a red flag? 3 schools, 3 years? Not sure if we need him either, but wondering who's recruiting him at the very least.

Hennrich: to be honest, I know this kid finds ways to win and has a good shot ar being a 2x'er but I'm not sold on him. I don't think he'll have the same success in college. I just don't see enough offense. Most of the wins (granted it's states) are squeaky close.

Really happy with the recruits we're getting around that weight. I think they all have a higher upside. Just an opinion, though, VT with a Henson partner could be a difference maker.
I don’t think Dejesus has the style to succeed D-1 , he was in dogfights with the 8th and 6th place finishers at his weight , he was absolutely crushed by Knox last year and 3 schools in 3 years will always raise an eyebrow , he’d be better off going D2/D3 …Is Rutgers going after Dellagatta? He just keeps getting bigger and better and just scores points, seems like he’s just realizing his potential now so it’s scary how good that kid could be in a few years

I don’t think Dejesus has the style to succeed D-1 , he was in dogfights with the 8th and 6th place finishers at his weight , he was absolutely crushed by Knox last year and 3 schools in 3 years will always raise an eyebrow , he’d be better off going D2/D3 …Is Rutgers going after Dellagatta? He just keeps getting bigger and better and just scores points, seems like he’s just realizing his potential now so it’s scary how good that kid could be in a few years
Very good points. RU is due for a heavyweight pickup. Kid does look big!

Reactions: Psufan2427
Grey literally called the kid at 12:00 as per the knox recruitment video that Flo made. I think he definitely let's it known that he wanted him. But it's Ivy, he's got strong NJ ties, the team is good and they have a new facility and strong history, so there's all that.
Think in a flo interview.. Knox said one of the Reasons he chose Cornell was bc Grey was literally the first to call him and he respects loyalty or something..

• Wow
Dam.....

Looks like Grey and Hann are at the event. Not good for the Delgatta argument.

Both Lewis and Griffith won titles as freshman (which Suriano didnt) Just 2 seasons ago we had Suriano , glory , Lewis and Griffith in the finals , last year only had glory but had lewis, van ness, Griffith and foca wrestling for 3rd …this season van ness probably would have ran through 149 and he ll have 3 more season movin forward where we ll see him in the finals , Stanich has a shot at 125, maybe Ramirez at 165 ,Lewis or Griffith or possibly both with starocci inj will be in the 174 final and Foca has a shot at making the 184 final which isn’t too bad in a down year. ..I think part of the issue is delbarton has been the best In the state for years now and I can’t think of a single AA they produced except Glory, and Blair hasn’t had an ncaa finalist since Mckenna,hopefully guys like van ness , tj stewart, Marc Anthony Mcgowan can change that
I’d say Suriano was more of a force, overall, then Griffith and Lewis.. def all NJ legends.. good point on on SVN, delbarton and Blair.. didn’t realize Blair had so few finalist lately.. they used to produce so many studs… cooperman, Backes, esposito, Mocco, Perry, Russell..just to name a few..

I guess it felt like there used to be more NJ legends at ncaa but could be my nostalgia kicking in… Caldwell, Rey, Burroughs, molinaro

Damn the 2006 NJ state champs was a pretty legendary crew check out some of these names: Perrelli, Grey, Burroughs, Caldwell, Molinaro, Winston, Rey, Caruso ….. this has got to be the single greatest HS state champ class ever to produce at nationals.. can anyone find better?? 4 national champs, 2 multiple AA, 2 qualifiers, and a few others that wrestled after hs, holy cow what a stacked class…

Reactions: rags and UnderHooks
I’d say Suriano was more of a force, overall, then Griffith and Lewis.. def all NJ legends.. good point on on SVN, delbarton and Blair.. didn’t realize Blair had so few finalist lately.. they used to produce so many studs… cooperman, Backes, esposito, Mocco, Perry, Russell..just to name a few..

I guess it felt like there used to be more NJ legends at ncaa but could be my nostalgia kicking in… Caldwell, Rey, Burroughs, molinaro

Damn the 2006 NJ state champs was a pretty legendary crew check out some of these names: Perrelli, Grey, Burroughs, Caldwell, Molinaro, Winston, Rey, Caruso ….. this has got to be the single greatest HS state champ class ever to produce at nationals.. can anyone find better?? 4 national champs, 2 multiple AA, 2 qualifiers, and a few others that wrestled after hs, holy cow what a stacked class…
Couple of those guys were olympians too, burroughs obviously a gold medalist. Probably not topping that group

The runner ups were pretty impressive too , Caruso beat Scott Giffen in that final who was an AA for Penn, Will Livingston won 130 and was a D3 finalist and 3rd place finisher beat Melde a 2x NQ, Winston beat Harrington who was a D3 finalist and multi X AA, Molinaro beat Cocozzo who was a 4x NQ, Russo was 2nd was 215 he was 2 or 3x NQ and shouldve AAed, Grey beat Conroy who had a great career at Pitt , 4x NQ and ACC champ , that was a Golden year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT