ADVERTISEMENT

No. 14 Rutgers Wrestling Welcomes No. 7 Ohio State Sunday

Is goodale contract up after this year or was he extended? I do not know who we can get but lest be honest we are not getting any better. I like goody, but other ten Cetta it seems like everyone is regressing or stagnating. That is not a good indication of the coaching. And not to pile on but we don’t score takedowns, i have no idea what is going on in the wrestling room but perfecting takedowns is not it. I did not expect to beat tOSU but we don’t attack and do not create takedowns period. It is hard to watch. I gave up my season tickets because we are not competitive against say top 15 programs. I know season tickets are down. Something has to change
Shawver is improved. Poz is improved. 3 other starters are transfers.

Turley is a weird one because he’s definitely improved, but he has an AA accolade that people hold him to despite him being a 25-30 ranked wrestler that entire year.

Peterson has plateaued but there’s some speculation he’s banged up, considering he’s one of the only weights that consistently weighs in a backup. Soldano is in a sophomore slump. And 165 simply stinks.

Could this year be our second year in a row with out an AA?

I haven't seen anyone on this roster show that they can win enough matches against quality competition to AA.

Could this year be our second year in a row with out an AA?

I haven't seen anyone on this roster show that they can win enough matches against quality competition to AA.
March is all about matchups. With bad draws we can get 0. With good draws we can get 2, 3, 4, maybe even 5 though that’s highly unlikely.

Peterson, Shawver, Turley, Poz, and Yara can all do it if healthy. The right version of Soldano can do it as well but we haven’t seen that this year. Moore has been close to AA in the past. And Cetta would be a huge long shot but he’s been great and just knocked off an AA.

We have no shot at 157 or 165 but I think everyone else you can make a case for. Obviously not going to hit on all of them.

Our team looks like a deer in headlights

What you see is a stronger, better conditioned, better coached, more technically sound team. End of story
Hey..you stole my words! But yes.
We just aren’t very good. I thought there was a reasonable chance we’d get shutout. At least we won a match I guess.
Thanks Negative Nancy. Feel free to stuff a foot up your tuckus after two awesome wins in the lighter weights.

... With good draws we can get 2, 3, 4, maybe even 5 though that’s highly unlikely.
Actually, it's delusional.

I'm still hoping for the one I predicted. Two would be nice, but who? Peterson is not looking promising at this point. Shawver has an outside chance. I give Cetta a lot of credit, but I don't think he will have enough. Moore would need a very favorable draw and maybe one or two injury defaults. Skip to 174, Turley might surprise if he gets psyched. Soldano, not this year. Poz is the one I thought had the biggest chance and I'll be rooting for him. I think Yara-Slav will just miss. My preseason prediction was one, maybe two. That will take some luck.

March is all about matchups. With bad draws we can get 0. With good draws we can get 2, 3, 4, maybe even 5 though that’s highly unlikely.

Peterson, Shawver, Turley, Poz, and Yara can all do it if healthy. The right version of Soldano can do it as well but we haven’t seen that this year. Moore has been close to AA in the past. And Cetta would be a huge long shot but he’s been great and just knocked off an AA.

We have no shot at 157 or 165 but I think everyone else you can make a case for. Obviously not going to hit on all of them.
While I agree, but unless some of these guys suddenly flip a switch and over perform at the B1G tournament, what kind of draws do you think they are going to receive? Its not like they have been losing to top 5 or 10 wrestlers, so they will get lower seeds which isn't great and leads to tougher match ups early on unfortunately. They will more than likely have to wrestle their way through the backside of the bracket which isn't easy or an ideal way to get on the podium.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
While I agree, but unless some of these guys suddenly flip a switch and over perform at the B1G tournament, what kind of draws do you think they are going to receive? Its not like they have been losing to top 5 or 10 wrestlers, so they will get lower seeds which isn't great and leads to tougher match ups early on unfortunately. They will more than likely have to wrestle their way through the backside of the bracket which isn't easy or an ideal way to get on the podium.
Last year, if I remember correctly, we had a few guys in a brutal 16-17 seed matchup where the winner earns the right to get waxed by the top seed. Those that were fortunate enough to avoid that situation got matched up with other big 10 opponents, some of which they had lost to head to head.

I don’t really care about seeds so much as the opponent. Would rather face a 10 seed from Binghamton, Wyoming, or Fresno St than a 14 seed from Wisconsin, for example.

Reactions: rags
Bottom line most Rutgers teams not recruiting at a level to be successful against B1G Ten competition.Rutgers mens basketball went 30 seasons without one NCAA bid.Along with mediocre recruiting player development is lacking with Rutgers sports teams.There obviously are no easy answers to change the status quo.

157- Butler seemingly got taken down at will.. is he still nursing an inj? Only positive that came out of match is we didn’t have to inj default and kept to a major…

165- White or Gayer who will be going for us in the postseason.. ? Positive is we have been keeping it to a decision.

174- Turley looked good.. he was pushing for the TD till the very end. Like the effort.

184- Love to see wild man Soldano.. feel he wrestles his best when he wrestles his free style and forces his opponent into uncomfortable positions…

197- Did the concussion protocol thing ultimately cost Poz? Feels like poz will win this rematch as Geog was trying hang on to the win. Yeah sucks poz lost here though obv momentum shift..

Hwt- two periods of nothing but handfighting.. third period freshman Feldman got his takedown and Yara barely missed out on getting his and that was the diff…..

125- Peterson was aggressive to start but somehow mccrone turned it into a TD of his own and controlled the rest of the match.. knew Mccrone was underranked but this was unexpected…

133- Shawver is the man.. I keep underestimating him and he keeps proving everyone wrong. Bouzakis just took out Nagao btw… so yeah admittingly had lost almost all hope wit a min left to go in 3rd wit Bozakis up 2-0 but Shawver gutted out the TD and last second escape ftw…

141- when Moore can get in headlock and his position not even Mendez can score on him. The diff in the match was the second period when Mendez completely rode out n tired Moore.. td and rideout to finish third for Mendez and things got chirpy at the end…

149- Cetta two TD start 6-1 lead.. was going to say Shawver was easily our most improved wrestler but Cetta is starting to make a case for himself. D’emilio was able to storm back to force OT uh oh.. we seen where this usually goes.. guess it’s gg and another good but close effort.. but wait! Not this time! Cetta stayed aggressive and it pays off w first top 10 win..

157- Butler seemingly got taken down at will.. is he still nursing an inj? Only positive that came out of match is we didn’t have to inj default and kept to a major…

165- White or Gayer who will be going for us in the postseason.. ? Positive is we have been keeping it to a decision.

174- Turley looked good.. he was pushing for the TD till the very end. Like the effort.

184- Love to see wild man Soldano.. feel he wrestles his best when he wrestles his free style and forces his opponent into uncomfortable positions…

197- Did the concussion protocol thing ultimately cost Poz? Feels like poz will win this rematch as Geog was trying hang on to the win. Yeah sucks poz lost here though obv momentum shift..

Hwt- two periods of nothing but handfighting.. third period freshman Feldman got his takedown and Yara barely missed out on getting his and that was the diff…..

125- Peterson was aggressive to start but somehow mccrone turned it into a TD of his own and controlled the rest of the match.. knew Mccrone was underranked but this was unexpected…

133- Shawver is the man.. I keep underestimating him and he keeps proving everyone wrong. Bouzakis just took out Nagao btw… so yeah admittingly had lost almost all hope wit a min left to go in 3rd wit Bozakis up 2-0 but Shawver gutted out the TD and last second escape ftw…

141- when Moore can get in headlock and his position not even Mendez can score on him. The diff in the match was the second period when Mendez completely rode out n tired Moore.. td and rideout to finish third for Mendez and things got chirpy at the end…

149- Cetta two TD start 6-1 lead.. was going to say Shawver was easily our most improved wrestler but Cetta is starting to make a case for himself. D’emilio was able to storm back to force OT uh oh.. we seen where this usually goes.. guess it’s gg and another good but close effort.. but wait! Not this time! Cetta stayed aggressive and it pays off w first top 10 win..
Good report.
Turley wrestled well and through the entire match. He's in good shape, but will it be enough?

I have to give Soldano credit for a great win against a guy coming off a big win of his own. I hope that might inspire him.

I'm not sure what to say about Poz. He looked to be trying, but could he have pushed harder for those takedown attempts?

Not surprised at heavyweight; I had picked Feldman to win.

Peterson isn't going to AA if he can't get free from bottom.

Yes, Shawver is the man. He's one of very few to have shown continuous improvement. I'm rooting for him.

Cetta is a very pleasant surprise.

Penn State coming up next. Let's not let another win slip away 🙄

Reactions: brentx35
Dean P has a knee issue which has hampered his attack
What’s his status looking like against Penn state?? Good chance for him to move up in ranking/seed but maybe not a good idea if his attack is hampered… actually this is kinda good/bad hearing he wasn’t 100%.. good in that once he is he will be even better.. bad in that hope he heals fast.

Wasn't that in the Penn match where he had the knee inj. Finished the match with a win. We assumed he would sit vs Rider and he ended up losing to Klinsky.

Reactions: njsportsphan
24+ hours later... I'm still trying to wrap my head around what happened... I felt \
going in we could possibly win 4 matches, with 3 being what I thought was realistic... Wellllll we did win 3 matches... But not any of the 3 I had pegged!!! One thing i will say... I do feel that OSU is 2nd best team in the country... Scoreboard didn't show it... But they got after it vs Penn St.... They also have some big time wins on their docket this year... If you look back in the beginning of this thread... i said 1 key word 3 times..... And that was the difference between a tough loss and a program defining win... FINISH!!!!! FINISH!!!! FINISH!!!!! The matches we won came down to our ability to FINISH!!! The matches we lost... we didnt FINISH!!! But it's not like the opportunities weren't there..... Turley, Poz, Yara... all had great opportunities in their matches at the key point to score... They didn't get it done.... Which really did suck cuz it was a phenomenal atmosphere yesterday!! While i'm pissed we lost... I'm not discouraged either...

everyone has issues Bill... Didn't hamper him against McKee... (maybe its a Rutgers thing with him cuz Shawver has owned him in the past also) Peterson all but had the TD and didn't FINISH... McCrone did... He got the win yesterday... They will meet again whether in B1G or NCAA.... I'm not worried...

So why not give him a break now? I get wanting him in against Minnesota and Ohio St as the math had those matches as winnable but we’re not beating Penn State so give him some time to get healthier.

So why not give him a break now? I get wanting him in against Minnesota and Ohio St as the math had those matches as winnable but we’re not beating Penn State so give him some time to get healthier.
If Peterson is healthy enough we def want him to go… it’s a free-roll to improve seed/ranking.

Honestly I know Goodale has an approach of balls to the wall in Duals but I wouldnt send out anyone not 100% heathy or has nothing to gain. I would send a lineup of something like:

Chletsos, Peterson only if healthy
Shawver
Moore
Cetta
Weaver assuming Butler cant go
Gayer
Turley only if ok.
Soldano
Colucci - Id give Poz a break
O’Donnell - Yara is not beating Kerk and also could use a break.

Honestly I know Goodale has an approach of balls to the wall in Duals but I wouldnt send out anyone not 100% heathy or has nothing to gain. I would send a lineup of something like:

Shawver
Moore
Cetta
Gayer
Turley only if ok.
Soldano
No way to win this dual so yeah only send out healthy guys.. agreed, should sit poz this one.. Brooks always ends up shaking his confidence up.

Shawver
Moore
Cetta
Gayer
Turley only if ok.
Soldano
Yara has aspirations to winning a national title and heavyweight is somewhat open without Gable. Kerk is the best on paper but even a loss gives Yara valuable information to be used in March

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Yara has aspirations to winning a national title and heavyweight is somewhat open without Gable. Kerk is the best on paper but even a loss gives Yara valuable information to be used in March
Kerk is on another tier this year.. he looked amazing at the all star match.. and just crushed Feldman.. agreed though if Yara is healthy he should go.. just don’t think he or anyone stands much chance against Kerk this year.

No way to win this dual so yeah only send out healthy guys.. agreed, should sit poz this one.. Brooks always ends up shaking his confidence up.
Very defeatist attitude. This is an individual sport. You don’t think guys want to test themselves against the best in the country? You don’t sit duals especially if you have 10 opportunities to knock off higher ranked wrestlers

Most won't be very good tests. Shawver has an outside chance. Soldano, a very outside chance. Too much to ask of Cetta. The others will be ugly unless Cael sends out backups.

Penn State is getting four of the top ten pound-for-pound HS recruits and multiple from the top ten in each weight class. I'm sure Cael is a great coach, but even Goodale could be successful with those recruits. It's as close to a talent monopoly as it gets.

Very defeatist attitude. This is an individual sport. You don’t think guys want to test themselves against the best in the country? You don’t sit duals especially if you have 10 opportunities to knock off higher ranked wrestlers
Not at all..No need to risk injury if ur not 100% healthy.. don’t think u read the previous post.. I said if Peterson is healthy enough he should go… if ur healthy u should always go.. if not prolly best not to risk it.

Not at all..No need to risk injury if ur not 100% healthy.. don’t think u read the previous post.. I said if Peterson is healthy enough he should go… if ur healthy u should always go.. if not prolly best not to risk it.
Of course if someone is injured they shouldn’t wrestle. I watched last match and the only guy that looked hurt to me was Butler. If you’re not gonna wrestle the rest of the lineup to try to pull some upsets, I’m not sure what the hell is the point? Isn’t competition what you want if you’re a lower ranked guy? Go take someone out! Rogatske from tOSU caught a 3x AA and packed him after being down 9-2. This is what it’s all about.

Most won't be very good tests. Shawver has an outside chance. Soldano, a very outside chance. Too much to ask of Cetta. The others will be ugly unless Cael sends out backups.

Penn State is getting four of the top ten pound-for-pound HS recruits and multiple from the top ten in each weight class. I'm sure Cael is a great coach, but even Goodale could be successful with those recruits. It's as close to a talent monopoly as it gets.
No one is 100% healthy at this point in the season. My point is, each individual wrestler has an opportunity to not only make a name for themselves but also rank up.

The dual loss isn’t in question. No one expects Rutgers to win. But I think every kid on the team would love to knock a high ranked PSU kid down

Of course if someone is injured they shouldn’t wrestle. I watched last match and the only guy that looked hurt to me was Butler. If you’re not gonna wrestle the rest of the lineup to try to pull some upsets, I’m not sure what the hell is the point? Isn’t competition what you want if you’re a lower ranked guy? Go take someone out! Rogatske from tOSU caught a 3x AA and packed him after being down 9-2. This is what it’s all about.
I agree with your point but Carter Starocci has wrestled 8 matches this year. Penn St isn’t exactly the poster child for high volume

Reactions: TRU2RU and koleszar
I agree with your point but Carter Starocci has wrestled 8 matches this year. Penn St isn’t exactly the poster child for high volume
Penn State also doesn’t sit out matches when they have opportunities to wrestle a higher ranked guy. I can’t think of one example of that happening. The way you move up in rankings is beating guys ahead of you not sitting out. Penn State has 5 guys ranked 1. How do you think they got there?
Their names just didn’t appear at the top, they had to beat guys to get there. That’s my point.

As far as match count. This year is an Olympic year. Half the lineup wrestled in the All Star classic which didn’t count for an official match but because of that, those 5 lost opportunity to get 3 or 4 matches in their early season tournament. Then they had US Senior Nationals in December, guys were planning to go to that and that’s why they didn’t go to the collegiate duals or any Xmas tournies this year.

Penn State also doesn’t sit out matches when they have opportunities to wrestle a higher ranked guy. I can’t think of one example of that happening. The way you move up in rankings is beating guys ahead of you not sitting out. Penn State has 5 guys ranked 1. How do you think they got there?
Their names just didn’t appear at the top, they had to beat guys to get there. That’s my point.

As far as match count. This year is an Olympic year. Half the lineup wrestled in the All Star classic which didn’t count for an official match but because of that, those 5 lost opportunity to get 3 or 4 matches in their early season tournament. Then they had US Senior Nationals in December, guys were planning to go to that and that’s why they didn’t go to the collegiate duals or any Xmas tournies this year.
I’m not doubting the talent or ranking of the Penn State guys. They don’t duck anybody, but they also don’t wrestle the volume that some other teams do. It’s not an “issue” exclusive to this year either.

RBY would routinely have like 10-12 matches before the Big 10s started. He was a 5 year starter, got deep into nationals every year, won 90% of his career matches, and came up short of the 100 win mark. That’s almost impossible.

And then Soldano pinned Rogatske; just thought I'd mention that. While these words are used interchangeably, I think there is a difference between hurt and injured. An injured wrestler should recover before competing again; a hurt wrestler might be able to suck it up and still compete. It becomes a judgment.

We literally have a 0.1% chance vs Haines, Messenbrink, Starocci, Brooks and Kerk.
Maybe 10% vs Bartlett, Kasak and Truex
And 30% vs Davis and Nagao.

I predict 1 win if PSU #1 lineup goes and no idea where coming from. Some calling this best team ever.

We literally have a 0.1% chance vs Haines, Messenbrink, Starocci, Brooks and Kerk.
Maybe 10% vs Bartlett, Kasak and Truex
And 30% vs Davis and Nagao.

I predict 1 win if PSU #1 lineup goes and no idea where coming from. Some calling this best team ever.
Agreed, would be a huge win if we got one or two wins..

This PSU team might only give up 2 bouts to Iowa.. maybe 3 if Arnold goes..or a shutout wouldn’t be too surprising either..

I’m not doubting the talent or ranking of the Penn State guys. They don’t duck anybody, but they also don’t wrestle the volume that some other teams do. It’s not an “issue” exclusive to this year either.

RBY would routinely have like 10-12 matches before the Big 10s started. He was a 5 year starter, got deep into nationals every year, won 90% of his career matches, and came up short of the 100 win mark. That’s almost impossible.
Penn State gone away from the multiple matches tournaments and events. Penn State runs their program a little bit different from most schools. For example the don’t drill or have organized practices. They really just do situational wrestling and guys choose what they want to work on that day. They don’t prepare for duals and just kind of use them as supplemental training. The focus is all on March. That why if a kid sick or injured they will quickly pull him from duals. Honestly if it wasn’t for seeding they probably wouldn’t wrestle most duels.

Penn State gone away from the multiple matches tournaments and events. Penn State runs their program a little bit different from most schools. For example the don’t drill or have organized practices. They really just do situational wrestling and guys choose what they want to work on that day. They don’t prepare for duals and just kind of use them as supplemental training. The focus is all on March. That why if a kid sick or injured they will quickly pull him from duals. Honestly if it wasn’t for seeding they probably wouldn’t wrestle most duels.
That’s fine, then the team nor their fans should get pissed when other teams pull their starters. Seems to me, psu fans are saying it’s OK when they do it but others shouldn’t.

That’s fine, then the team nor their fans should get pissed when other teams pull their starters. Seems to me, psu fans are saying it’s OK when they do it but others shouldn’t.
I’m saying, if RU wrestlers want a chance to move up ranking and improve seeding they should want to be out there. If the individuals are happy being ranked 10th and higher..then by all me all means….sit out.

Just don’t be crying in March if they come up short of expectations

I’m saying, if RU wrestlers want a chance to move up ranking and improve seeding they should want to be out there. If the individuals are happy being ranked 10th and higher..then by all me all means….sit out.

Just don’t be crying in March if they come up short of expectations
If RU wanna move up in rankings and be out there we should schedule more of the mid-upper tier teams like we did vtech/minn/ohio st.. those were exciting matchups..

I don’t get it when we schedule teams like Duke/Edinboro. Teams we know we will completely crush and likewise on the opposite spectrum, feels like we face PSU every year. A match we know we will get crushed and very small chance of upsets..

Goodale isn’t known to sit out wrestlers. If anything, it might be PSU giving some of their starters a rest after Iowa.. hopefully can come out of this match learning something and not have inj/confidence shook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT