ADVERTISEMENT

No. 19 Rutgers Wrestling Set for 2022 Garden State Grapple Sunday at Prudential Center

O’Neil loses 7-1 to Barczak(anyone know who he is)

165 is just brutal for this coaching staff. At this point, just take the pin pool money and buy one. Hell buy this kid he just got crushed by
He is a 2x NQ so he isn’t a nobody but your point still stands.

Reactions: koleszar
Tough going for Freeman the frosh. Dang. From a 16-0 lead to 3 straight losses … still up 16-10.

Some very good talent in RU, but seeing 4 straight losses to UPENN and now 3 in a row to Drexel … not sure we have a shot at too many B1G matches.

Reactions: biker7766
Tough going for Freeman the frosh. Dang. From a 16-0 lead to 3 straight losses … still up 16-10.

Some very good talent in RU, but seeing 4 straight losses to UPENN and now 3 in a row to Drexel … not sure we have a shot at too many B1G matches.
Everyone knows the middle of our lineup, even with our starters, is extremely soft so that should be no surprise.

Reactions: biker7766
Everyone knows the middle of our lineup, even with our starters, is extremely soft so that should be no surprise.
Thought it was only 157/165 … looks like more kinks in the Knight Armor than I thought.

They need to wrap Bonino's face already. Too much blood time stoppage. I'm surprised Soldano didn't score in the 1st period.

Janzer takes neutral in 3rd? Strange not really a strong suit of his and he didn’t even attempt a shot the whole third period.

He lost 3-0

Kid Soldano wrestled stalled and was huge for the weight. Weird match, not concerned. O’Malley at 197 also huge. Bigger, stronger 197 lbers are going to be tough for Janzer.

Kid Soldano wrestled stalled and was huge for the weight. Weird match, not concerned. O’Malley at 197 also huge. Bigger, stronger 197 lbers are going to be tough for Janzer.
And if that match is 3 seconds longer Soldano works a pin. We’ve really never had a recruit like him. Ashnault obviously the best recruit we’ve ever had and it’s going to be tough for Soldano to match that career, but I don’t know we’ve ever had a high octane guy like him. He’s got the strength of Boone, the pin ability of peak Turley, he’s got the scramble ability of someone like Alvarez, the high scoring potential of Rivera, and the idgaf if I die out here attitude of a Frankie Edgar. Dude is the total package.

And if that match is 3 seconds longer Soldano works a pin. We’ve really never had a recruit like him. Ashnault obviously the best recruit we’ve ever had and it’s going to be tough for Soldano to match that career, but I don’t know we’ve ever had a high octane guy like him. He’s got the strength of Boone, the pin ability of peak Turley, he’s got the scramble ability of someone like Alvarez, the high scoring potential of Rivera, and the idgaf if I die out here attitude of a Frankie Edgar. Dude is the total package.
Soldano is amazing but I’ve even heard some people compare him to being the next Jason Nolf/Bo Nickal..

Alvarez is a re-attack wrestler but it’s starting to be a red flag that he’s not really putting up points against much lesser competition
terrible take. controlled the match and decided when to get the take down and win blissfully

Alvarez wrestles like a high IQ wrestler with unbelievable confidence. He is going to win blissfully and calmly and im a huge fan of it. if you think he needs to attack more and this and that. you got the wrong guy. kids a winner. period.

another bum take
No one said Alvarez is not a winner, not sure where you pulled that from. Moreover, I was talking about Turley and unlike Alvarez, he isn’t control of the matches recently and he definitely needs to be on the attack more than before. Sammy does what works for him and I’m extremely happy to have him on the mat at a comfortable weight but it’s not worked for Turley since his injury. That was my point.

Alvarez wrestles like a high IQ wrestler with unbelievable confidence. He is going to win blissfully and calmly and im a huge fan of it. if you think he needs to attack more and this and that. you got the wrong guy. kids a winner. period.
Hilarious that you’re calling our takes garbage while saying Alvarez wins calmly. Not arguing that he’s not a winner, but he’s a guy that excels in scrambles. Calm matches are not his style and the slow paced matches are the ones he has struggled with in the past.

First home match the place better be sold out. go buy a beer and sit your ass down and get rowdy for the boys. they will fight for jersey wrestling...

Jesus Christ, what have you been on a two day bender? You're looking for a fight when there's none to be had.
Only way this guy’s posts make sense are if they are from Sammy, himself, in which case, it is a hilarious troll and I’m all for it.

Reactions: mikemessner
Only way this guy’s posts make sense are if they are from Sammy, himself, in which case, it is a hilarious troll and I’m all for it.
That thought crossed my head. Every post he makes is about Alvarez

Some thoughts about the day:

1- DP looks really good. Like AA good. Shawver had a gritty win and may have beaten Miller too, but I don't think he'd have dominated him. So glad we have these two. Looking forward to Midlands! Who do we put out vs. Princeton?

2- Huge win for Heilman. He needed that. He's had a few losses vs guys ranked higher.

3- Great win for Sammy against Ferrante, but I would have liked to see some more points scored. Ferrente is no slouch though. He gets to practice with McKenna and Composto if I'm not mistaken.

4- Tony White is hanging in there. He's probably faced the toughest schedule of any of our guys thus far. While he's come up on the losing end, he's gaining massive experience. Looking forward to his break out match. Still think he will be a mulit AA.

5- Clark hangs in with a tough wrestler, but no offense. Looking forward to seeing more of him. DeSantis is a solid back up right now and has shown huge growth.

6- 165: I would really like to see C.O. take some shots. I don't think anything good happens when you rely on counters the whole match. While I think he stacked Ravino, there's no reason why he should of lost that. Where is Kannaird? Haven't seen anyone answer this. I would like to see him go 165 or at least challenge the spot.

7- 174: Huge Turley fan, but he looked a little lost out there. There's just so many question marks here. I don't know if it's confidence, conditioning, still recovering, or lack of desire, but it pains me to see him losing to guys that he's better than. He used to wrestle angry and now he's very timid. I really want to see the switch flipped to that madman again. Nothing better than seeing him pumble guys. I really hope he finds that level again. Also, if it is purely a recovery/hasn't wrestled in a while thing, then I apologize in advance for even throwing out lack of desire. Again, big fan, but can't help stating what I perceive from a distance.

8- Soldano did his job. Anyone disappointed that he didn't pin shouldn't be disappointed. I think his match against the 5th year senior (Drexel) was impressive. That was a veteran vs. a true freshman. Brian has a lot of high expectations and frankly is carrying his weight. Kid has the swagger too. He'll be jumping levels with more experience as well.

9- Janzer won a blue collared match against Penn. That kid is much better than his rank indicates. To not get turned was huge. Nice duck under too. Just wish he had taken some shots but it sounds like he's still recovering, if not still in pain.

10- We finally have a heavyweight. Boone might not be a top 5 guy, but he looks great out there. We saw a lot of offense. The size has really helped him immensely. His conditioning greatly improved. Looks like having Lawson around has been helpful.
Really looking forward to seeing him vs. B1G. I think he may end up pulling some upsets.

Overall Team: Gritty win against Penn. Great win. There was a lot of chirping from Penn over the last few years. Hopefully this helps draw in some kids. We're only a few recruits or transfers away from jumping to the next level. Big match vs. Princeton this week. Hope everyone heals and shows up for it. They got pumbled by Wisconsin and MSU.

Last edited:
Agree Dean and heilman were the standouts. Not too impressed with Sammy. Ferrante is a keep it close wrestler but Sammy should be on a higher level than going to ot should’ve racked up points. My hearts with Shawver but think it’s going to be deans spot.

Reactions: njsportsphan
To be fair about Princeton, they forfeit 125 all weekend so there was at minimum a 10/11 point swing in the matches. I’m going to assume Glory is going to wrestle this weekend.

Agree Dean and heilman were the standouts. Not too impressed with Sammy. Ferrante is a keep it close wrestler but Sammy should be on a higher level than going to ot should’ve racked up points. My hearts with Shawver but think it’s going to be deans spot.
It has to be Dean at this point. He’s been the more impressive wrestler and shows much more upside. I love having 2 quality guys and doubt this is decided until after Midlands but would like to see Dean vs Glory Sunday

Some thoughts about the day:

1- DP looks really good. Like AA good. Shawver had a gritty win and may have beaten Miller too, but I don't think he'd have dominated him. So glad we have these two. Looking forward to Midlands! Who do we put out vs. Princeton?

2- Huge win for Heilman. He needed that. He's had a few losses vs guys ranked higher.

3- Great win for Sammy against Ferrante, but I would have liked to see some more points scored. Ferrente is no slouch though. He gets to practice with McKenna and Composto if I'm not mistaken.

4- Tony White is hanging in there. He's probably faced the toughest schedule of any of our guys thus far. While he's come up on the losing end, he's gaining massive experience. Looking forward to his break out match. Still think he will be a mulit AA.

5- Clark hangs in with a tough wrestler, but no offense. Looking forward to seeing more of him. DeSantis is a solid back up right now and has shown huge growth.

6- 165: I would really like to see C.O. take some shots. I don't think anything good happens when you rely on counters the whole match. While I think he stacked Ravino, there's no reason why he should of lost that. Where is Kannaird? Haven't seen anyone answer this. I would like to see him go 165 or at least challenge the spot.

7- 174: Huge Turley fan, but he looked a little lost out there. There's just so many question marks here. I don't know if it's confidence, conditioning, still recovering, or lack of desire, but it pains me to see him losing to guys that he's better than. He used to wrestle angry and now he's very timid. I really want to see the switch flipped to that madman again. Nothing better than seeing him pumble guys. I really hope he finds that level again. Also, if it is purely a recovery/hasn't wrestled in a while thing, then I apologize in advance for even throwing out lack of desire. Again, big fan, but can't help stating what I perceive from a distance.

8- Soldano did his job. Anyone disappointed that he didn't pin shouldn't be disappointed. I think his match against the 5th year senior (Drexel) was impressive. That was a veteran vs. a true freshman. Brian has a lot of high expectations and frankly is carrying his weight. Kid has the swagger too. He'll be jumping levels with more experience as well.

9- Janzer won a blue collared match against Penn. That kid is much better than his rank indicates. To not get turned was huge. Nice duck under too. Just wish he had taken some shots but it sounds like he's still recovering, if not still in pain.

10- We finally have a heavyweight. Boone might not be a top 5 guy, but he looks great out there. We saw a lot of offense. The size has really helped him immensely. His conditioning greatly improved. Looks like having Lawson around has been helpful.
Really looking forward to seeing him vs. B1G. I think he may end up pulling some upsets.

Overall Team: Gritty win against Penn. Great win. There was a lot of chirping from Penn over the last few years. Hopefully this helps draw in some kids. We're only a few recruits or transfers away from jumping to the next level. Big match vs. Princeton this week. Hope everyone heals and shows up for it. They got pumbled by Wisconsin and MSU.
Nice write up. We are very solid 125-149, 184 and 285. 157 we have our guy but still a work in progress. 165 is a major issue and 197 just don’t think Janzer is close to healthy, Goody basically said it in interviews. If he was he could make some noise. 174 is biggest mystery for me same as you. Just isn’t wrestling like the old Turley. I remember that match where he Teched the ranked MN kid and obviously AA run. He looks beaten up and lacking the motor/edge he once had. Hoping it’s just taking him time to get back.

To be fair about Princeton, they forfeit 125 all weekend so there was at minimum a 10/11 point swing in the matches. I’m going to assume Glory is going to wrestle this weekend.
True. I think he's having a hard time making weight. I read that, that was a problem last year and he's missed his 3rd match in row. Given how gased he looked against our two guys makes me think that 125 may be hard for him to cut to. Though RU is a big day for he and his team..

Reactions: MS-RU
Nice write up. We are very solid 125-149, 184 and 285. 157 we have our guy but still a work in progress. 165 is a major issue and 197 just don’t think Janzer is close to healthy, Goody basically said it in interviews. If he was he could make some noise. 174 is biggest mystery for me same as you. Just isn’t wrestling like the old Turley. I remember that match where he Teched the ranked MN kid and obviously AA run. He looks beaten up and lacking the motor/edge he once had. Hoping it’s just taking him time to get back.
Thanks. He had the look where he was having fun hurting kids. It was awesom and terrifying. I know he's got it in him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT