ADVERTISEMENT

Noah is a Bust

I’m okay with “Noah has been a bust.” Not yet ready for “is a bust.”

I think this is spot on. He has a higher ceiling than he's shown us so far - and there could be any number of reasons for that. He is coming off an injury, has an infant at home, and is acclimating to a new school/staff/etc.

Looking at his Per 40 numbers in his last full UMass season vs. this year so far:
2021-22: 17.8 pts (.435 FG%, 14.2 FGA, .503 eFG%), 3.3 rb, 6.2 ast, 1.7 stl, 3.1 tov, 2.0 ast/tov, 3.4 pf
2023-24: 12.1 pts (.349 FG%, 11.1 FGA, .406 eFG%), 3.8 rb, 3.1 ast, 1.7 stl, 2.2 tov, 1.4 ast/tov, 3.8 pf

He has far fewer attempts, a lower efficiency, half the assists, a worse ast/tov ratio, and more fouls. He has fewer turnovers, but mainly because he's passing less (as shown by far fewer assists). He's a career .361 from 3P range on 294 attempts... but is shooting just .273 this year. I think I remember some stories from when he committed that he had a strength in catch-and-shoot threes... which has only been hesitancy so far this year.

Really hoping it starts to slow down for him - or that team chemistry can improve where he can become a more valuable piece.

Yet if he and Spencer were still here we would be 10-4 not 8-6…,part of your comment is one reason Paul looked to leave.Many people on this board bashed him even last season … doesn’t shoot well enough, he sucks , should play off guard or different position. Somehow we lost a minimum of 15 points … people forget after 4-5 years he deserved a little respect.
You didn’t watch Paul play last year if you believe anything you wrote. Cam was a huge loss. Paul isn’t good and Washington is finding that out right now.

Let’s focus on Noah, how has he looked? I think many would agree when I say Noah stinks. Paul is gone, forget about him. Let’s focus on what’s on this roster now and let’s start giving more experience to guys who will be here next year and into the future. This season is done, we’ll be overachieving if we go 16-15, and that doesn’t even get us anywhere as far as postseason is concerned. Personally, I think we’ll get 13 or 14 wins. No NCAAs this year, I am cool with that and have accepted it. Let’s play guys more who will be around in the future. Might some transfer out?? Maybe, but still have to get players experience. Noah serves no purpose for next season as he won’t be here. His level of play also suggests he serves no purpose this season. He should be our fourth guard, start A Williams, Start Simpson or JMike (who cares, neither is great but need experience), bring Simpson or JMike off the bench first and then go Noah. He should get the amount of minutes A Williams was getting off the bench.
You’re responding to the wrong post then

We’d stink with both. Is that a tough concept for you to understand?
This is certainly possible, but it's hard to argue that Cliff wouldn't be having a much better season with Paul here

It's also possible Paul would have found a way to get Gavin the ball in better spots and we wouldn't have seen this downward spiral of lost confidence

We will never know

You didn’t watch Paul play last year if you believe anything you wrote. Cam was a huge loss. Paul isn’t good and Washington is finding that out right now.
I certainly watched Paul ….play hurt and injured. I also believe exactly he would have made a difference this season with Cam Spencer . The only stink is from your post. If you are that dumb not to believe that those two were good for at least 2 more wins this season than why waste time.You sound like most Schiano haters here.

Actually you sound exactly like an 18 year old who still gets an allowance from your parents.Noah, Cam , Paul it’s all related .

This is certainly possible, but it's hard to argue that Cliff wouldn't be having a much better season with Paul here

It's also possible Paul would have found a way to get Gavin the ball in better spots and we wouldn't have seen this downward spiral of lost confidence

We will never know
What game would we have won with Paul? We got smoked by wake, miss state, Illinois, Princeton and Iowa. Maybe Ohio state but that was the one game Noah played well. The offense sucked with Paul last year so why would it be different this year.

Reactions: satnom
What game would we have won with Paul? We got smoked by wake, miss state, Illinois, Princeton and Iowa. Maybe Ohio state but that was the one game Noah played well. The offense sucked with Paul last year so why would it be different this year.
Paul would add size strength rebounding. Make Cliff better. Make passing better. He's better than Noah

The less I Noah the smarter I am is the saying……more A Williams and less Noah is definitely the answer. The team did not play great, but they won so I am holding off on hammering them with negativity, at least for today.

A.Williams should start from here on out. They never make it easy on the fans.Good win Rutgers now keep working hard.
Agree. Frustrating part is Noah is a better shooter than A. Will but that’s about it. Noah has to work way harder to get a shot off just because of size discrepancy with defender. Not to mention he gets eaten alive trying to rebound or defend in the paint or being able to alter a shot in the perimeter.

GO RU

Agree. Frustrating part is Noah is a better shooter than A. Will but that’s about it. Noah has to work way harder to get a shot off just because of size discrepancy with defender. Not to mention he gets eaten alive trying to rebound or defend in the paint or being able to alter a shot in the perimeter.

GO RU

GO RU

But he doesn't shoot when open, which is part of his problem. He needs to dribble, dribble, dribble to try to create his own shot. When the ball gets kicked and he has daylight, he puts it on the floor instead of pulling the trigger for three. How many of his threes have been step-back or side-step vs. catch-and-shoot? Half the time he doesn't even show shot.

That lets defenders sag off of him and double in the paint.

But he doesn't shoot when open, which is part of his problem. He needs to dribble, dribble, dribble to try to create his own shot. When the ball gets kicked and he has daylight, he puts it on the floor instead of pulling the trigger for three. How many of his threes have been step-back or side-step vs. catch-and-shoot? Half the time he doesn't even show shot.

Yup. He has to realize that his looks at the basket from beyond the arc aren’t going to get any better against BIG defenses. He’s short and not leaping over any one and that is concerning. He may have to take a step back and take deep threes or try to dribble into the paint for mid range shots or lobs to Cliff.

I think he should be one of the first players off the bench and provide instant offense. On defense he’s not built for the BIG but the guy has ability to make a contribution (see Seton Hall and Miss St games). He should not get starter mins but if he gets hot off the bench ride the hand until it cools.

GO RU

We did not get “smoked” by Princeton.

Reactions: Scangg

And they can sag off of him because he's listed at 5'11", which means he's probably closer to 5'9"".

39 36 and 45% last 3 years from 3

This year 26.7

I had concerns he wouldn't be quick enough to score at this level but his shooting has been well below what he is capable of sadly. He's even under 40% from 2

I know they are freshmen but Ace, Harper and Somerville should start day 1. Hopefully Gavin could be a 4 th starter.
A couple of things about Somerville. I’ve seen him in person multiple times. He needs to get in much better condition and reshape his body. He definitely has talent, though. Second, the coach needs to help curb his attitude. He yells at teammates in a not constructive manner and complains to the refs incessantly. Forever throwing his hands in the air. Not a hard fix once a college coach gets hold of him. Just a body and attitude reshaping.

Reactions: runner3283
A couple of things about Somerville. I’ve seen him in person multiple times. He needs to get in much better condition and reshape his body. He definitely has talent, though. Second, the coach needs to help curb his attitude. He yells at teammates in a not constructive manner and complains to the refs incessantly. Forever throwing his hands in the air. Not a hard fix once a college coach gets hold of him. Just a body and attitude reshaping.
Lathan knows that he's got to get better at controlling his emotions on the court... He's mentioned it several times in interviews recently and I think he'll work on it and that it will improve when he gets here.

“It’s definitely frustrating,” Sommerville said. “I want to be out there for my team. But like my coach says, I have to move past that. I can’t let my emotions take over the game. I have to remain calm. That’s something I have to get better at.”

Reactions: Loyal-Son
39 36 and 45% last 3 years from 3

This year 26.7

I had concerns he wouldn't be quick enough to score at this level but his shooting has been well below what he is capable of sadly. He's even under 40% from 2
It’s probably not about being “at this level” because this went on all throughout OOC. Ironically his best game was against Seton Hall.

Reactions: Scangg
It’s probably not about being “at this level” because this went on all throughout OOC. Ironically his best game was against Seton Hall.
Likely has something to do with matchups. Noah is veteran and savvy enough to find something he can exploit in a team.

Or it just might be how he’s feeling on game day.

GO RU
Theoretically Noah is a better shooter. That’s the problem with Noah is everything has been theoretical with him. He seemed like a good transfer, good on paper, good shooter and scorer, etc.. Reality has not matched up with the theoretical. I will take an A Williams drive to the bucket over a Noah shot all day, every day, twice on Sunday, eight days a week……whatever cliche is applied. We need more A Williams and less Noah, Pike has gotten the memo and team looks better for it.

Noah 1 FG total in the last 3 games combined. Just mind boggling at this point
This guy has been shockingly bad and disappointing. He can hardly get minutes at this point. If J Williams suddenly became eligible, Noah probably wouldn’t even play anymore. Last 5 games starting with Stonehenge as follows: 0 pts in 29 min, 17 pts in 27 mins, 0 pts in 15 mins, 2 pts in 10 mins, and 3 pts (a garbage time three) in 8 mins today. The dude has deteriorated right before our eyes to a guy who probably shouldn’t even play. At least Gavin has an excuse of being a Freshman. People can make excuses for him or say “we’ll I didn’t have high expectations for him this year”, which to me reeks of BS if anyone says that. To me, he has been far and away the most disappointing aspect of this year’s team, and that’s saying something as he has competition. I didn’t expect Cliff to become a go to scorer for this team, but I did think Noah was a possibility to take on that role. At this point, his main role is sitting next to the walk-ons.

Wish we could cut him, not even joking. He's been abysmal as a super senior.
I said the same thing. Problem is we have such bad guards and so few options that it’s not an option. Simpson, JMike, A Williams and Noah have to play as those are the guards we have. Noah has been reduced to 8 minutes at this point……what’s the next option, start giving Aiden Terry minutes???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT