ADVERTISEMENT

Ongoing opponent watch

Purdue got screwed on a call late but they're gonna go down.

Unlike most of you, I don't care about other teams in the B1G because most of them talk mad crap about Rutgers. I visited the Minnesota site, and they have no respect for Rutgers on any level. For them, it's all about the name on the front of the jersey. Wisconsin is no different. Hell, even Northwestern fans talked sh*t about how can Rutgers be picked to finish ahead of them this year. This is why I have no sympathy for any B1G team.

Gavitt Games start tonight, with just one: DePaul at Iowa

DePaul has already played three games while Iowa has played just one. Still lots of uncertainty with Jordan Bohannon... he'll play but I don't even think he or Fran McCaffrey knows how many minutes he can handle against a high-major

Gavitt Games start tonight, with just one: DePaul at Iowa

DePaul has already played three games while Iowa has played just one. Still lots of uncertainty with Jordan Bohannon... he'll play but I don't even think he or Fran McCaffrey knows how many minutes he can handle against a high-major

I’m cautiously optimistic about cracking the top half of the league this year (Bryant game notwithstanding). The league is top heavy with 2-3 teams and has a couple of real dredges as well. We should match up pretty well with the large middle tier.

I think Bryant will turn out to be a better than expected team. They have 2 losses 73-71 to Brown and us and beat Cornell 82-81. Just get the sense, they are better than their preseason prediction.

I think Bryant will turn out to be a better than expected team. They have 2 losses 73-71 to Brown and us and beat Cornell 82-81. Just get the sense, they are better than their preseason prediction.

Although they aren’t a good team, I agree with you. Kenpom had them near the bottom of all D1 teams. They are better than that.

Indiana wins by 23...

Michigan by 10 over Creighton

Butler up 3 at home vs Minnesota at half....

Siena at home wins by 13 over St Bonaventure.

I'm not impressed by Minnesota. As much crap their fans talk about how bad Rutgers is (again) this year, they don't look like world-beaters. Oturu is legit and can be a problem for Rutgers, but he doesn't have much help down on the blocks. Outside of Oturu and Carr, the team doesn't strike fear into anyone. Willis is hot and cold with his shooting. Based on their first three games, I think you can pressure them in turnovers. They are averaging 15 a game. One thing they love to do is shoot 3s. Willis is the most consistent threat, but for some reason, other guys love to chuck it at a low rate. Also, they lack depth. It's something to keep in mind over the course of a long season.

MN playing good defense, hustle is there, just not enough shooters. Athletic. Oturu a handful, he has a motor.

Now play a 0-3 St Bonaventure, suddenly what was our third best non conf opponent looks in line to be a quad 3 game/team and won’t help resume at all

Train wreck on offense tonight for the Gophers tonight for anyone not named Oturu. He is 9-13 from the floor but the rest of the squad went a combined 7 for 36. WOW. Zero points from the bench, eighteen turnovers compared to only eight for Butler... four guys averaged over 30 minutes in their first two games. That doesn't look like a formula for sustained success this season.

Train wreck on offense tonight for the Gophers tonight for anyone not named Oturu. He is 9-13 from the floor but the rest of the squad went a combined 7 for 36. WOW. Zero points from the bench, eighteen turnovers compared to only eight for Butler... four guys averaged over 30 minutes in their first two games. That doesn't look like a formula for sustained success this season.
But the media, Minny fans, and other B1G fans keep believing this team is part of the top half of the B1G. People have to stop looking at the name on the front of the jersey. When will they realize it's the name on the back that determines the likelihood of success.

But the media, Minny fans, and other B1G fans keep believing this team is part of the top half of the B1G. People have to stop looking at the name on the front of the jersey. When will they realize it's the name on the back that determines the likelihood of success.

Let's give them, and other teams, a little time. A core of Oturu and Gabe Klobuchar (or however you spell his name) is a good place to start.

I watched almost this entire game. Oturu is good (24 and 10) but their transfer guards, Willis and Carr don’t look look like good shooters and Kalscheur didn’t have a good game. Their bench didn’t score a single point. It’s obviously early in the season but from what I’ve seen, we should have a very good chance of finishing above them in the standings.

Minnesota has a decent core but no depth. They play a very tough non-conference schedule too.

What if we look at Willis and Carr under the same lens as we might players wearing the Rutgers uniform.

2 of the 1st 3 games OK on a neutral court and Butler away. They were tied with OK 1/2 way thru 2nd half and played Butler tough. Before the season you would have said it might take time for Minnesota as they have a lot of new faces.

It is possible by the time we play them they are a mid pack (or better) B1G team.

Carr was 1-10 from the floor last night. This board would've roasted him for that, saying it was a wasted scholarship, he can't shoot.

They will win some games because the starters have talent but if they have nothing on the bench, that will cost them as the year moves along. And if any of their key guys gets injured (not something I want to happen, but it does) they have... ?

Did anybody outside a few homer Gopher fans think their team was going to finish 7th or better in the Big Ten this season???

They were preseason #12 according to KenPom. They were preseason #11 in the Big Ten media poll. Sports Illustrated predicted them to finish #12.

Also I kinda LOL at the thought of somebody looking at "Minnesota" on the front of the jersey and giving them credit for anything in basketball. They have been to 6 NCAA tournaments winning a total of 2 games since firing the ever dirty Clem Haskins in 1999.

Did anybody outside a few homer Gopher fans think their team was going to finish 7th or better in the Big Ten this season???

They were preseason #12 according to KenPom. They were preseason #11 in the Big Ten media poll. Sports Illustrated predicted them to finish #12.

Also I kinda LOL at the thought of somebody looking at "Minnesota" on the front of the jersey and giving them credit for anything in basketball. They have been to 6 NCAA tournaments winning a total of 2 games since firing the ever dirty Clem Haskins in 1999.
I know seriously. When I think of Minnesota I think of them saving Eddie Jordan by giving us our 1 and only B1G win that one season, and also losing to us in the B1G tourney, and the one year they had like 6 players. They got Coffee and had a good run there but I don’t consider them top of anything in basketball

There were several individual media personnel who thought Minny is a bubble team based on returning talent and transfers. The B1G area media who are under the impression the B1G would receive around 7 bids like most years.

In the eyes of B1G fans, Minny makes the tourney enough to be considered a "front jersey" team in this league. If you visit other B1G sites, you'll see what I'm talking about as far as respect. The hate and lack of respect is usually directed at Rutgers, PSU, Nebraska, and Northwestern.

There were several individual media personnel who thought Minny is a bubble team based on returning talent and transfers. The B1G area media who are under the impression the B1G would receive around 7 bids like most years.

In the eyes of B1G fans, Minny makes the tourney enough to be considered a "front jersey" team in this league. If you visit other B1G sites, you'll see what I'm talking about as far as respect. The hate and lack of respect is usually directed at Rutgers, PSU, Nebraska, and Northwestern.

Minnesota was literally picked #11 in the media days poll of media members covering the conference. I do not think a single one picked them to finish 7th or better. Everybody knew they would suck this year.

Now has Minnesota had some occasionally decent teams the last 10 years? Sure, but I think prevailing opinion around the conference is that it is merely a matter of time til Pitino is fired.

Everyone assumes Big 10 will always be like last year but that will not always be the case....must start taking care of business and have to win the majority of our challenge games

Just get a winning record and into the NIT for now. The time to root for all opponents to win is in the future.

Rutgers hasnt had a winning season in 14 years

Minnesota was literally picked #11 in the media days poll of media members covering the conference. I do not think a single one picked them to finish 7th or better. Everybody knew they would suck this year.

Now has Minnesota had some occasionally decent teams the last 10 years? Sure, but I think prevailing opinion around the conference is that it is merely a matter of time til Pitino is fired.
I never said the media picked them higher. What I said was some of the same press as individuals explained how a team like Minnesota (&Iowa) could outperform expectations and finish higher. The thought is due to the returning talent (Oturu & Willis) and a transfer (Carr). They could play themselves onto the bubble. A team like Minny is giving too much credit do to Pitino's name, and they are an old guard of the B1G. The media is hedging its bets to cover themselves
I know other B1G fans think Minny is a bubble team. I know they suck and mentioned it on Indiana and Purdue site. Posters on both sites disagree and said Minny will still be in at the end of the season.

I never said the media picked them higher. What I said was some of the same press as individuals explained how a team like Minnesota (&Iowa) could outperform expectations and finish higher. The thought is due to the returning talent (Oturu & Willis) and a transfer (Carr). They could play themselves onto the bubble. A team like Minny is giving too much credit do to Pitino's name, and they are an old guard of the B1G. The media is hedging its bets to cover themselves
I know other B1G fans think Minny is a bubble team. I know they suck and mentioned it on Indiana and Purdue site. Posters on both sites disagree and said Minny will still be in at the end of the season.

everybody knows there are 1 or 2 morons. I am pointing out the overwhelming majority of fans across the conference that understood how bad Minny would be this year. I bet if you had a preseason poll on every rivals site in the conference Minnesota would not have finished above 10th place outside Minnesota fans themselves.

you could have a similar point talking about the smattering of folks that thought Northwestern might not finish in last place.

everybody knows there are 1 or 2 morons. I am pointing out the overwhelming majority of fans across the conference that understood how bad Minny would be this year. I bet if you had a preseason poll on every rivals site in the conference Minnesota would not have finished above 10th place outside Minnesota fans themselves.

you could have a similar point talking about the smattering of folks that thought Northwestern might not finish in last place.
I believe it was the Iowa site along with Minny and Wisconsin were a large percentage of the fans think the Gophers would be at least .500 in conference play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT