ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 New York Yankees season

Okay fellow Yankee fans, any concern about the B&B boys? Bird is hitting 150 or so and Betances has a double digit era.

Was there ever any doubt? :)
The thing about the Yanks, not only do they draw their fans, on the road
and at home, but the draw a great number of the other teams fans, just
to watch and hope they lose. they draw the ones (like me and you) and the
haters. Every team on the road breaks their records for attendance
playing the Yanks, greatest sports team of all time.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Okay fellow Yankee fans, any concern about the B&B boys? Bird is hitting 150 or so and Betances has a double digit era.

For the players, only a little. For the team, no. Yanks have put together a team where there isn't one person they have to depend on. They have many alternatives if something goes wrong. Will the Yanks get hurt if one of their stars goes down? Hurt yes, season over, no.

Bird was the best hitter in all of spring training last season. Barely hit .100 in April once the season started. He ll be fine as long as he is healthy.

Betances worries me a little, I think whatever was in his head to end last season may carry over, but there are so many arms in the bullpen.....

serious question?

Yes, it was a serious question. As Zappa said, Bird has a great swing, and with Judge, Stanton and Sanchez more often than not batting either in front or directly behind him will see pitches to hit. Just hoping he is. At this point, Betances to me is a legitimate concern. He wasn't exactly lights out after the All Star break, and his spring to date is akin to how he ended last year.

Yes, it was a serious question. As Zappa said, Bird has a great swing, and with Judge, Stanton and Sanchez more often than not batting either in front or directly behind him will see pitches to hit. Just hoping he is. At this point, Betances to me is a legitimate concern. He wasn't exactly lights out after the All Star break, and his spring to date is akin to how he ended last year.

Yanks had a decent back up in Adam Lind, just in case, but they curiously released him this week. So I guess they have confidence Bird will be fine.

As far as Dellin Betances goes, I would only put him in before the 8th or 7th innings to hold games. If he blows up, you still leave yourself time to recover. With that bullpen he is not needed in critical late situations nor should Yanks attempt to force him to pitch there. He is erratic and should be made to take on and conquer the more routine portions of games before he has "earned" a chance at late inning heroics. Time to forget about his past greatness and concentrate of who he is right now.

I think they are working Neil walker out at 1b just in case he ever needs to fill in. With the abundance of Infielders, there is some flexibility.

I know- just busting your balls...if only every team had such worries. lol

This is a quote from a Yahoo article about Stanton's meeting with Miami ownership regarding his future as a Marlin. LOL - good for him.

“This is not going to go how you guys think it will go,” Stanton said. “I’m not going to be forced somewhere, on a deadline, just because it’s convenient for you guys. I’ve put up with enough here. Derek, I know you don’t fully understand where I’m coming from. But Mike does. He’s been here. He can fill you in. This may not go exactly how I planned. But it’s definitely not going to go how you have planned.”

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I could have told you that.

in Northern NJ, there are easily twice as many Yanks fans than Mets fans.

I'd say Red Sox are 3rd since I never see Phillies fans.

Just out of curiosity - isn't being a Yankee fan sort of an Italian thing (and so a NJ thing)? I mean I know Yankee fans come in all flavas, and that Mets have a Italian fans, but there always seemed to be a strong mesh between Yankees and Metro NYC Italian culture. I know Ruth was German so maybe from DiMaggio days? Locally, my stereotypical image of 80's Guido culture consists of IROC Zs, Cavaricci's, car dice and Yankee stickers

Updated 25 man roster projection:

LINEUP
C Sanchez
1B Bird
2B Wade
SS Gregorius
3B Drury
LF Gardner
CF Hicks
RF Judge
DH Stanton

BENCH
C Romine
IF Walker
IF Torreyes

ROTATION
Severino
Tanaka
Gray
Sabathia
Montgomery

BULLPEN
Chapman
Robertson
Betances
Kahnle
Green
Warren
Shreve
German

Greg bird out with a sore right foot, same foot he had problems with last year. Apparently they re teaching andujar how to play 1B. Not a pessimist by nature, but something tells me this kid may never be able to hold up for an entire season.

Greg bird out with a sore right foot, same foot he had problems with last year. Apparently they re teaching andujar how to play 1B. Not a pessimist by nature, but something tells me this kid may never be able to hold up for an entire season.
Bird has so much potential, but it seems like he belongs on the Mets instead of the Yanks!

Okay, here's my contribution to this thread:

So it seems like this will be opening day 25 man roster:

CATCHERS

Romine, Austin
Sanchez, Gary

INFIELDERS

Austin, Tyler
Drury, Brandon
Gregorius, Didi
Torreyes, Ronald
Wade, Tyler
Walker, Neil

OUTFIELDERS

Gardner, Brett
Hicks, Aaron
Judge, Aaron
Stanton, Giancarlo

PITCHERS

Betances, Dellin
Chapman, Aroldis
Gray, Sonny
Holder, Johnathan
Green, Chad
Kahnle, Tommy
Montgomery, Jordan
Robertson, David
Sabathia, CC
Severino, Luis
Shreve, Chasen
Tanaka, Masahiro
Warren, Adam

At the start of spring training, I don't many of us saw those six infielders on the opening day roster.

I still can't believe the Yankee organization turned over their high salaried team in baseball to a guy (Boone) who has never managed or coached any baseball team at any level .

Last edited:
The Yanks still turned over their high salaried team to someone with no coaching experience, let alone manager experience. Whether they have the 7th highest payroll, 5th, 8th, or highest , is not the point. It’s still high. The Yankees aren’t a bottom budget team. That would be the Mets

The Yanks still turned over their high salaried team to someone with no coaching experience, let alone manager experience. Whether they have the 7th highest payroll, 5th, 8th, or highest , is not the point. It’s still high. The Yankees aren’t a bottom budget team. That would be the Mets

At this point you just have to trust Brian Cashman and Yankee ownership. How could you not? They obviously don’t seem to think that it’s gunna be a problem.

This appears to be the new trend. The highest salaried team in baseball went with a guy who has some coaching experience, but is in his first managerial role, and similarly got rid of a WS winning manager.

Dave Martinez, Gabe Kapler, and Mickey callaway are some of the other new faces. I don’t disagree that Boone’s lack of experience in the coaching ranks is concerning. However, it seems that baseball teams are going with younger guys on the cheap vs experience, and buying into the use of analytics to manage games, and have someone who can manage and communicate to personalities in the dugout (vs the manager doing both).

Really looking forward to this season. I think the Yankees will win the division and look for pitching at the trade deadline. Bird will come back and have a 20 home run season. Also think Sanchez has a break out year and gets MVP votes.

Really looking forward to this season. I think the Yankees will win the division and look for pitching at the trade deadline. Bird will come back and have a 20 home run season. Also think Sanchez has a break out year and gets MVP votes.

Sanchez is definitely primed for a MVP caliber season. Also watch out for Sonny Gray. He’s gunna be a dark horse Cy Young candidate this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT