ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 New York Yankees season

Stanton hit two homeruns the opposite way. The second one went 434 feet the opposite way. Only 8 of his 59 home runs last year went the opposite way. He is going to crack 70 if he takes advantage of the short porch and right when the Yankees are at home this year.

At 117.3 mph, Giancarlo Stanton's HR was the hardest to the opposite field ever tracked by @statcast.

Severino gives up a single hit in 5+.

Judge goes 2/4 with a walk.

Gardner goes deep.

Could NOT ask for a better opener (other than the Bird thing).

Last edited:
Jeez that call was horrible. Shouldve just said A STANTONIAN BLAST and left it at that.

As many times as I've seen him hit Homer's at Citi Field, this guy would hit 40-50 Homer's anywhere. May hit 50-60 in the Bronx. Dude is legit AF.

I’m thinking, as Was the case with Nick Swisher and a couple other guys,, this one will get changed.

Well that was quite an opener, huh? Can’t wait to see what this lineup does day in and day out.

Aaron Hicks to the 10 day DL with an intercostal muscle strain. Wonder if his injuries will be a recurring problems. In five previous seasons he has played a 100 or more games once.

Aaron Hicks to the 10 day DL with an intercostal muscle strain. Wonder if his injuries will be a recurring problems. In five previous seasons he has played a 100 or more games once.
I would rather have C. Frazier in the line-up.....when he is ready to go.

Stanton hit two homeruns the opposite way. The second one went 434 feet the opposite way. Only 8 of his 59 home runs last year went the opposite way. He is going to crack 70 if he takes advantage of the short porch and right when the Yankees are at home this year.

Good article today over at Fangraphs on how Stanton closed off his stance in the 2nd half of last season leading to harder hit balls the opposite way. From https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/giancarlo-stantons-adjustment-appears-to-be-carrying-over/ :
(from June 19), Stanton ranked eighth in opposite-field HR/FB (21.2%), according to FanGraphs splits leaderboards — this compared to a 15.4% mark to the date prior, which ranked 28th.

Amongst players with at least 80 batted-ball events to the pull side after June 19, Stanton ranked third in HR/FB (67.6%!). His HR/FB mark to his pull side was 41.9% in 2016 and 36.3% before the adjustment last season.

Stanton’s opposite-field percentage actually slightly decreased (18.6% second half, 21.4% first half) after closing off last season, so he wasn’t dispersing batted balls so differently as he was hitting them more squarely.

Partly due to adjustments in approach and mechanics, Stanton is making more contact and making better contact — and now he has a much more favorable home.

Good article today over at Fangraphs on how Stanton closed off his stance in the 2nd half of last season leading to harder hit balls the opposite way. From https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/giancarlo-stantons-adjustment-appears-to-be-carrying-over/ :

That little tweak had such a huge impact on his second half.

Interestingly enough, judges stance his rookie season is quite different vs his stance 2017 onwards. The results were effective I d say for him as well.

1 game in and 2 regulars on the DL. Ugh

Bird and Hicks are injured so often and for such long periods I'm starting to think as soon as they get back in the lineup for a few weeks, trade them while they have some value. They have been and will be hurt and on the DL for extended periods of time each and every year. A shame for them, but Cashmen needs to make some tough decisions for the good of the team.

Bird and Hicks are injured so often and for such long periods I'm starting to think as soon as they get back in the lineup for a few weeks, trade them while they have some value. They have been and will be hurt and on the DL for extended periods of time each and every year. A shame for them, but Cashmen needs to make some tough decisions for the good of the team.
The problem with that is:

1) Nobody else wants injured players either
2) Who's going to replace them?

You can't just throw rookies or free agents in there for 162 games. Patience, my friend.

You can't help but cringe when Betances comes in.
What happened to this guy ? Batters used to be the ones cringing when he came in.
And I'm still trying to figure why Boone left him in for a second inning.
Oh well. I guess the Yanks aren't going undefeated this season.

The Betances things is becoming a big issue. He's probably going to spend some time in the minors at some point this year.

Maybe Robertson shouldn't groove a 3-2 fastball to a guy who hits 40 homers a year instead.

Reactions: Kbee3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT