ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 New York Yankees season

Not yet. But what if he continues to hit below .200 (or below .100) through May?
Sometimes the best thing for someone in a slump is to sit out a few games and work kinks out.
Just asking.
Sitting out a couple games is different than calling it plan B which would imply replacing him. No catchers play more than 130 games anymore so it is expected Sanchez would sit out some for rest (or DH).

Gary Sanchez is at his hitting best when he takes outside pitches to right field and deposits them over that wall. He shows a tendency to get into a home run groove to both left and right when he does that. But then he gets overly aggressive and starts to want to pull everything over the left field wall. That's when outside pitches become strikeouts or grounds outs and pitchers can "play" with him a little. When he lays off the outside balls and takes his walks, pitchers tend to come back to the strike zone and home run production increases. But with Sanchez, it's rinse, repeat,rinse. Robinson Cano used to get into that unfortunate batting rhythm where success was followed by over-aggressiveness followed by a "re-set" and the rinse, repeat, rinse formula.

Best thing I've seen and heard (but I need to see it throughout the season) is Giancarlo Stanton trying to go the other way on pitches. If Stanton and Sanchez get into that groove, they really can live up to the hype.

Tex used to take 6-8 weeks every season to warm up but he still ended up with great stats. It's been a week for Sanchez, he'll be fine.

And what if he does not? Very rough start.
He is a liability behind the plate.
Is there a plan B at catcher?

Sanchez has been excellent behind that plate so far this season. He shed some weight and got quicker. Make sure you know what you’re talking about before you hit send.

Sanchez has been excellent behind that plate so far this season. He shed some weight and got quicker. Make sure you know what you’re talking about before you hit send.
You Yankees fans are a sensitive lot. Let's wait a couple of months before declaring him Jonny Bench. What a tool you are with your warning.

Not yet. But what if he continues to hit below .200 (or below .100) through May?
Sometimes the best thing for someone in a slump is to sit out a few games and work kinks out.
Just asking.

I d say if this is the case in May, then it might be a concern. Sanchez was hitting .151 last season in April before missing the remainder of the month. Currently, in an April where snow has fallen 2-3 times in Yankee stadium, these guys deserve some time to really get into form.

You Yankees fans are a sensitive lot. Let's wait a couple of months before declaring him Jonny Bench. What a tool you are with your warning.

True. I’m definitely sensitive to people speaking about things they know nothing about.

Who said he was John Bench ? But he's clearly one of the best hitting catchers in MLB, and one of the better power hitters, and has a cannon for an arm.
That's a lot of good stuff. He's gonna be an all-star too. One of the best catchers in MLB....no doubt about it.

I think the Yankee players, especially the bullpen spent too mch time reading how god they were going to be during the off-season.
Chicks dig the long ball but pitching wins games

Tex used to take 6-8 weeks every season to warm up but he still ended up with great stats. It's been a week for Sanchez, he'll be fine.
Tex like you said took 6-8 weeks to warm up (averaged less than 200 at times) played real good for for 6 to 8 weeks, then came Sept and Oct and he totally tanked. Not a favorite of mine.

Last edited:
Much needed win, good day for SG and the bullpen. We need to get the series split tomorrow!

I'm still trying to figure why they sent Gardner from first with two outs, another runner on 3rd, and Judge at bat....and a five run lead.
i'm not impressed with the manager yet.

And what if he does not? Very rough start.
He is a liability behind the plate.
Is there a plan B at catcher?
He's actually not. He spent a ton of time in the off-season improving his skill blocking bad pitches. His pickoff throw to second is phenomenal. You probably didn't watch the series against Toronto, but a guy ran on them with a great jump and his throw was right on the first base side of the bag maybe six inches off the ground. Only place he could have thrown it where Didi would still be able to tag the runner in time. All the pitchers like the game he calls for them.
Don't forget the guy's young yet. 2016 was his first season other than 2 at bats in 2015, and he was a backup, only playing in 53 games. So in his first real season as starter, and only 2nd overall, he was an all star and won a silver slugger. He's only going to get better.

I'm still trying to figure why they sent Gardner from first with two outs, another runner on 3rd, and Judge at bat....and a five run lead.
i'm not impressed with the manager yet.

Boone is doing what’s hes told to do by the GM.
Cashman’s body of work is awesome. Relax.

If the bats can get on track, it will get better. Stanton is
He's actually not. He spent a ton of time in the off-season improving his skill blocking bad pitches. His pickoff throw to second is phenomenal. You probably didn't watch the series against Toronto, but a guy ran on them with a great jump and his throw was right on the first base side of the bag maybe six inches off the ground. Only place he could have thrown it where Didi would still be able to tag the runner in time. All the pitchers like the game he calls for them.
Don't forget the guy's young yet. 2016 was his first season other than 2 at bats in 2015, and he was a backup, only playing in 53 games. So in his first real season as starter, and only 2nd overall, he was an all star and won a silver slugger. He's only going to get better.
I know he has a terrific arm. It's his blocking defense that was awful last year. He tied for the major league lead in passed balls. Maybe he has improved.

Now look, Romine in for 2 games, batting 0.400 with 3 RBIs. Gary Sanchez is the catcher, but maybe he needs some time to sit and get his offense together.

The guy he nailed in Toronto was granderson who still has quite a bit of speed. May have been the greatest throw I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: czxqa
Losing two in extra innings really hurt. 26 innings combined. Stanton struck out five times today. Only time he didn't strike out, he lined into a double play.
Judge's roller back to the pitcher in the bottom of the ninth with the bases loaded and no one out was no day at the beach either.
Painful loss.

Reactions: czxqa
The big sticks really need to get going. Stanton has been brutal since day 2.

Was listening to the game on the way home. John Sterling is so self centered to become a part of the game. He has to be different all the time. Andujar he keeps announcing as An...dooo...har. Long pause between. It''s An.da.har.
Can' wait till he retires

Welp, you knew the Yanks weren't going to be down for long. Finally woke up tonight. Should make Boomer Esiasson happy tomorrow.

A bench clearing brawl and of course the Sox teasing a comeback against the Yankee closer. Looks like the rivalry has got some juice again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT