ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 New York Yankees season

38 Hr's and 100 rbi's is not being able to handle the AL? He was the only player to drive in 100 rbi's by the way!!!Lets not put him in the total bust category,please. Yankee fans have made Stanton and Boone their whipping boys,Christ winning 100 games with that pitching staff should earn Boone Manager of the Year!!! What about Sanchez? You know, one of the Core 4 that is suppose to lead them to several WS Championships in the next 5 years{0-2} by the way. The upward curve doesn't always happen like it does on paper. Is there a chance that young studs Andujar and Torreyes take a step back with the Sophomore jinx? You bet ya it could happen. In fact there's an even better chance this group never has another 100 win season,that's baseball.
So you agree that the pitching staff was subpar. And Stanton was a complete bust in the playoffs. 4 hits and 7 strikeouts. 0 RBIs, 0 HRs against Boston and it seemed to come to bat time and again with men on base.
And who really gives a crap about 100 wins. As you been saying all year, it's about the playoffs. The Boston Red Sox starting pitching was far superior all season and highlighted in this series. In the first four innings the Yankee starting pitching gave up, 5,1,10,4= 20 runs The Red Sox 0,3,1,0=4
From the very day Stanton was acquired (by trade, not a signing) I've been saying that money is a total waste. The teams Achilles heel was starting pitching.
The real genius was Joe Giradi in getting last year's team within one game of the World Series.

Last edited:
Yankees vow to sign Bryce Harper; trade for Mike Trout.
Bryce Harper can take his selfish, me first, somewhere else. Trout is a great all around player but the last thing this Yankee team needs is another right handed power hitter.
Harper fits the bill as a hitter but he will rip apart the clubhouse chemistry. Just ask his Senators teamates who never won a playoff series.

Steinbrenner was in love with sluggers. After a dry patch, Yankees under Torre had opportunistic hitters and rediscovered small ball. They had good pitchers. The home run offense is often a desert in playoffs.

From 96:

''As far as hitting, we've got five or six guys batting around .300. It's not so much about hitting home runs, but getting the key hits at the right time.''

Never has that been more true than the last eight games. Yes, the Yankees won some by blowouts. But the tense games they won, also, with one exception in Canada. And guaranteed, it is the latter sort of game that is bound to put a smile on Joe Torre's face.

''The baseball the last week or so has been very, very good baseball -- baseball with a lot of energy, baseball with a lot of resourcefulness, just a very gutty brand of baseball,'' the Yankees manager said.

It is better than what the Yankees dreamed of in a grim August when the waiting for three-run homers by Strawberry and Cecil Fielder was as futile as it was endless. ''A lot of times when you wait on home runs, you wait too much, and if they don't come, you're pretty much in trouble,'' Raines said.

''We didn't sit back as much as we had been, waiting on a big shot,'' Raines said. ''It's important. A lot of times you put pressure on the defense by not trying to hit the ball out of the ball park.''

It is the kind of baseball that is so well embodied in the play of young Jeter, the heady Joe Girardi, the revived Williams -- whose single in the ninth capped a tying rally that began with Paul O'Neill and Fielder drawing walks off the Orioles' stopper, Randy Myers.

''This really helps our whole approach,'' Torre said.

Yankees' Small Ball Wins in a Big Way
https://www.nytimes.com/1996/09/19/sports/yankees-small-ball-wins-in-a-big-way.html

Reactions: fsg2
So you agree that the pitching staff was subpar. And Stanton was a complete bust in the playoffs. 4 hits and 7 strikeouts. 0 RBIs, 0 HRs against Boston and it seemed to come to bat time and again with men on base.
And who really gives a crap about 100 wins. As you been saying all year, it's about the playoffs. The Boston Red Sox starting pitching was far superior all season and highlighted in this series. In the first four innings the Yankee starting pitching gave up, 5,1,10,4= 20 runs The Red Sox 0,3,1,0=4
From the very day Stanton was acquired (by trade, not a signing) I've been saying that money is a total waste. The teams Achilles heel was starting pitching.
The real genius was Joe Giradi in getting last year's team within one game of the World Series.
100% agree, and as long as your not in denial that this season was a huge step back from last season which it certainly was.

Season wasn't a huge step back, but it is a disappointment. They need a stud pitcher. Need to get it by any means. They have enough bats.

Reactions: fsg2
100% agree, and as long as your not in denial that this season was a huge step back from last season which it certainly was.
It was a step back in the playoffs but not unexpected because of pitching.
The regular season was fun primarily because of Torres and Andujar. Finally seeing them in the majors was great.
The failures beside starting pitching was this may have been the worst Yankees bench in years. In part because of trying to stay under the cap but Cashman did a terrible job. Brandon Drury, Shane Robinson, Billy McKinney and Neil Walker. Plus sticking with Bird way too long.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
He certainly was a bust in the playoffs
Eh, hitters are hot and cold. But if the Yankees thought they would get constant production from him like last year, they're idiots. And I haven't followed him at all, so I have know idea if he's a clutch hitter or not.

A disappointment, yes a huge step back, no. Coming into the season the starting pitching was a concern exacerbated by losing Montgommery early on. A rookie albeit a promising one, but still a rookie a third; a first baseman whose career had been spent on the dl than on the field and a third baseman who had trouble seeing. Andujar in particular along with Torres provided more than could reasonably be expected. Bird may become the 2018 version of Wally Pipp losing out to Voit, but we'll to wait to see hoe he does the second time around.For the season the Yanks batting average was about 20 points lower than the Sox and they struck out about 170 times more often. In addition to starting pitching they need to add a left-handed bat (not Harper) who can put the ball in play, and decide whether or not Sanchez's batting woes are correctable or not.

Eh, hitters are hot and cold. But if the Yankees thought they would get constant production from him like last year, they're idiots. And I haven't followed him at all, so I have know idea if he's a clutch hitter or not.
Trust me he's not clutch. The guy who was very clutch for the Yankees last year got traded to Miami for this bum. Castro is a better player. Not one dimensional like Stanton.

Forget for one second I'm a die hard Mets fan, you really don't think baseball fans in general feel the next logical step for the Yankees after last season and adding Stanton wasn't to make it to the World Series,honestly?

I'm admittedly not really much of a baseball guy, and the last time I really followed the Yankees closely was in the 80s. I pretty much just keep tabs at this point.

I felt last year was an "ahead of schedule" year that was surprising, and that this year was the first year that the Yankees would be on a really strong path. Going into the spring, I did expect them to make the WS this year.

Then the season got underway, and the Red Sox were surprisingly dominant while Sanchez essentially disappeared and a few injuries piled up. By mid-season, I assumed that they'd lose to the Red Sox in the playoffs.

The only team to have won as many or more games as Boston did this year and *not* make the WS were the 2001 Mariners. Their 108 wins are the 12th highest all time, 7th highest in the last 50 years, and 4th highest in the last 30 years.

Yankee fans are pissing on Stanton and Boone, but keep this in mind. The Yankees hit the most HR's in MLB history,go back to their band box, and don't hit a HR in either game. That folks is on the entire lineup and speaks volumes to a major Epic F'n Fail. Coming on the heels of blowing a 3-2 lead against Houston last season, not Epic, since their run was unexpected, but a choke no matter how you look at it.They will go out and over pay for at least 2 pitchers since they only have 1, maybe 2 that would be considered top of the rotation guys.They will give up some of those big bats to get them, maybe even one of the New Core Four that they think so highly of even though one of them they didn't even play in the elimination game,unreal.

I don't understand the hating on Stanton: the Yankees did not get the help they needed in their rotation.

I don't understand the hating on Stanton: the Yankees did not get the help they needed in their rotation.
Simply because in a year when they were staying under the cap they foolishly used much of it to get Stanton. He had many chances against Boston to bring in a runner. He had not a single RBI.

What is really scary going into 2019 is the Yankee rotation that is under contract right now is Severino, Tanaka.
That's it.

What is really scary going into 2019 is the Yankee rotation that is under contract right now is Severino, Tanaka.
That's it.
What would be scarier would be Sonny Gray IN the rotation next year.
Don't worry. The Yankees will almost certainly strengthen their rotation through free agency.

Trust me he's not clutch. The guy who was very clutch for the Yankees last year got traded to Miami for this bum. Castro is a better player. Not one dimensional like Stanton.
Stanton is .208 lifetime in "Late & Close Plate Appearances" defined as batting "in the 7th or later with the batting team tied, ahead by one, or the tying run at least on deck."

In 2018, Stanton was tied with Starlin Castro at #51 for offensive WAR. Jeter must still be high-fiving the trade with his staff.

It's wishful thinking to think the Yankees will be much better next year with Stanton batting 4th and feebly striking out in the clutch game after game.

Stanton and Sanchez were particularly bad, but the whole team absolutely needs a complete overhaul of their hitting coaching and a complete change of whatever approach they're bringing to the plate in clutch situations. Their horrible batting average with the bases loaded (and with risp & 2 outs, and late & close, etc) this year isn't normal, isn't a statistical fluke, and has got to be fixable for as talented a lineup like theirs.

The hitting coach Thames is clueless. After Sanchez hit his 2 HRs on Saturday, Thames was gloating saying, See, I told Gary he just has to be Gary and believe in himself. Geez, that is laughable. Sounds like Thames watched too much of Al Franken as Stuart Smalley. How about identifying flaws in your approach and spending hours a day fixing them?

Castro is nothing special. He's most definitely not better than Stanton.
Clutch wise, defensively. Hit to move runners over. Avg of .300 which Stanton hasn't come close to. Not as many homers but plenty of RBIs for hitting near the top or bottom of the order.
Beside HRs where is Stanton better?

Man, you are hard to figure out, one minute your stepping forward and putting Mets fans in their place, but on many occasions you like to bust Yankees balls. Take a stand,lol, fence squatter!!![cheers]
@DJ Spanky @Knight Shift was worse last year during the post season saying he was rooting for the Yanks. When we all know different. Thankfully both @ruready4somefootball are complete mushes. Yanks played great last year. Unfortunately Shift learned his lesson otherwise that tandum would have led the Yanks to a World Series victory. There is only so much jinx in ruready by himself. [cheers] :pimp:

Last edited:
It was a step back in the playoffs but not unexpected because of pitching.
The regular season was fun primarily because of Torres and Andujar. Finally seeing them in the majors was great.
The failures beside starting pitching was this may have been the worst Yankees bench in years. In part because of trying to stay under the cap but Cashman did a terrible job. Brandon Drury, Shane Robinson, Billy McKinney and Neil Walker. Plus sticking with Bird way too long.

Also a step back due to heightened comp. still a ton of fun!

I despise the Sox but they've been the better, more balanced team all year.

Btw, did the mets step in any direction? And if no one cared enough to watch, does it still count?

Also a step back due to heightened comp. still a ton of fun!

I despise the Sox but they've been the better, more balanced team all year.

Btw, did the mets step in any direction? And if no one cared enough to watch, does it still count?
Tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound if no one is there?

Where would you play Castro if he was still here?

We need a high percentage on base guy to set the table and hit consistently. If Sanchez actually hit even close to a normal batting average, this season could have been completely different. Add in the catching drama and he is the anchor on this team right now. Stanton carried this team through the injuries. Without him, I highly doubt we win 100 games or had home field advantage in the widl card.

Also, the bench depth wasn't great, but the outfielders you listed were all scrubs who only played due to injuries. They should have snagged McCutcheon earlier, IMO.

They will definitely be scrounging for 2 pitchers this offseason. I think they re-sign Happ and Sheffield will be in the rotation.

Where would you play Castro if he was still here?

We need a high percentage on base guy to set the table and hit consistently. If Sanchez actually hit even close to a normal batting average, this season could have been completely different. Add in the catching drama and he is the anchor on this team right now. Stanton carried this team through the injuries. Without him, I highly doubt we win 100 games or had home field advantage in the widl card.

Also, the bench depth wasn't great, but the outfielders you listed were all scrubs who only played due to injuries. They should have snagged McCutcheon earlier, IMO.

They will definitely be scrounging for 2 pitchers this offseason. I think they re-sign Happ and Sheffield will be in the rotation.
GT could have used more time in the minors. His second half was underwhelming. They could have traded Castro for a pitcher at the trading deadline

I agree his second half was not great. I wouldn't have been upset about that plan either.

I agree his second half was not great. I wouldn't have been upset about that plan either.
Again nothing against Stanton but he was a bad fit, didn't solve Yankees need. There were much bigger needs than adding a low avg power hitter who was useless in the post season

Again nothing against Stanton but he was a bad fit, didn't solve Yankees need. There were much bigger needs than adding a low avg power hitter who was useless in the post season
Wait....you're talking about the 2017 NL MVP.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT