ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019-20 NY Mets Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

I think the problem wasn't ANY job. I think the problem was that he was selected for the field general's position just before the news broke of his involvement in one of the biggest cheating scandals in MLB history. Great screening by the Mets organization. I guess Carlos interviewed well.
Must've gotten recommendations from Cashman for the year before.

Interesting article that some of the Astros were wearing devices on their shoulder that vibrated. This eliminated the need for the banging. Wonder if Beltran brought that technology to the Yanks!
You never know. I don't think anyone should be celebrating this. My take is all teams were doing this.

You know MLB already said that the Yankees are not going to be investigated.

I thought it was the use of cameras that was illegal, not the manner in which the stolen signs were communicated.

Interesting article that some of the Astros were wearing devices on their shoulder that vibrated. This eliminated the need for the banging. Wonder if Beltran brought that technology to the Yanks!
That might explain why Altuve was so insistent that no one tear his jersey off after he hit that walk off home run against the Yanks in the playoffs. Damn.

I thought it was the use of cameras that was illegal, not the manner in which the stolen signs were communicated.
It's any electronic devices. The Sox got in trouble for using an Apple watch in 2017 and the Yankees for improper use of a dugout phone. That was what prompted the memo from Manfred. So the buzzers that folks are speculating about would definitely be against the rules.

They just need to stop using traditional signs and find a way for pitchers and catchers to communicate in a way you can't steal via camera.

It's any electronic devices. The Sox got in trouble for using an Apple watch in 2017 and the Yankees for improper use of a dugout phone. That was what prompted the memo from Manfred. So the buzzers that folks are speculating about would definitely be against the rules.

They just need to stop using traditional signs and find a way for pitchers and catchers to communicate in a way you can't steal via camera.

Make it electronic. Bench (if desired) -> Catcher -> Pitcher or however they want it to go. Ear piece can listen for beeps or light on glove.

Imagine how the cheaters used the tech and adopt it for calling pitches. Prob solved. It IS the 21st century after all.

Now that Beltran is out, someone in the organization really needs to look at BVW. He must have had some inkling that Beltran was under this investigation from MLB. The fact that he failed to take into account the possibility that Beltran would be knee deep in this makes me think he did not perform proper due diligence.

As a Met fan, Beltran had to go. If the team were to win, fairly or unfairly questions would have been raised about cheating. Now that he is gone, I hope they look at an experienced manager. If you are trying to win now you need someone who is not learning on the job like Mickey.

Girardi was too much to ask apparently. If only we led a 1 week fire storm like we did with GS. :cry:

Now that Beltran is out, someone in the organization really needs to look at BVW. He must have had some inkling that Beltran was under this investigation from MLB. The fact that he failed to take into account the possibility that Beltran would be knee deep in this makes me think he did not perform proper due diligence.

As a Met fan, Beltran had to go. If the team were to win, fairly or unfairly questions would have been raised about cheating. Now that he is gone, I hope they look at an experienced manager. If you are trying to win now you need someone who is not learning on the job like Mickey.
Aren't BVW and Hinch some sort of BFFs?

You never know. I don't think anyone should be celebrating this. My take is all teams were doing this.
82413861_3229171567099979_5803960543135924224_n.jpg

Reactions: Foads
Thinking about it as a long suffering Mets fan. Only the Mets can find themselves involved in a scandal that, unlike the Astros & Red Sox, didn’t result in a World Series title.:Angry

Reactions: Kbee3
Is there a reason why BVW is still employed after:
-Getting Robinson Cano in an unnecessary trade,
-Signing a Jed Lowrie to a big FA contract so he can only play in the final weekend of the season
-Hiring a puppet he can control instead of hiring a championship manager who was practically begging for the job
-Not doing the due diligence on Carlos Beltran while the Astros rumors were starting to circulate
-Hiring Jessica Mendoza, who's only contribution to the team is suggesting that MLB go after the whistleblower, who opened the door to one of the biggest scandals since the Black Sox Scandal.

Hell, I truly expect BVW to hire Mendoza to be the next manager.

If you were hired to join Beltran's staff where do you stand right now? I assume you get paid regardless but does the new guy/gal (Mendoza option) try to hire his/her staff at this late date or go with what is already there? To me this has an internal replacement hire written all over it.

If you were hired to join Beltran's staff where do you stand right now? I assume you get paid regardless but does the new guy/gal (Mendoza option) try to hire his/her staff at this late date or go with what is already there? To me this has an internal replacement hire written all over it.
Agree. Luis Rojas has gone through the process and has been fully vetted. Plug and play.

Of course, given recent developments, who knows what "fully vetted" even means?

During the press conference, BVW made it sound like the coaches will be kept on. I just don't see the Mets paying out all the coaches contracts and letting the new manager hire the staff.

FWIW, here are current odds from Betonline as to who will be the next manager:

Eduardo Perez +300
Luis Rojas +325
Hensley Meulens +350
Tim Bogar +400
Tony Defrancesco +700
Bruce Bochy +900
Buck Showalter +900
Terry Collins +900
Dusty Baker +900
John Gibbons +1000
Kevin Long +1200

I thought the delay in letting Beltran go was because they wanted to have a new manager in place the next day,oh well. The Mets just being themselves I guess!
giphy.gif

FWIW, here are current odds from Betonline as to who will be the next manager:

Eduardo Perez +300
Luis Rojas +325
Hensley Meulens +350
Tim Bogar +400
Tony Defrancesco +700
Bruce Bochy +900
Buck Showalter +900
Terry Collins +900
Dusty Baker +900
John Gibbons +1000
Kevin Long +1200
Wow. Except for Buck that is a underwhelming list.

I thought the delay in letting Beltran go was because they wanted to have a new manager in place the next day,oh well. The Mets just being themselves I guess!
giphy.gif
No, there was never a chance of that happening. The "delay", which was only two days, was a very reasonable period to determine what they wanted to do, and to reach a settlement with Beltran.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT