ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019-20 NY Mets Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

Yes you do but you also have to take salary into consideration. Arenado is owed $35 mil each year through 2025. McNeil isn't even arb eligible until 2022 and isn't a free agent until 2025.
This is the biggest factor. Though, Arenado would bring the biggest bat to the Mets since Piazza ant Wright in his prime. And is only 28.
I am ok with the Mets if they keep these guys like McNeil and Nimmo but if a guy like Arenado ever comes available you just have to take a shot.

Reactions: FastMJ
Just like the Yankees and Boone, unproven and cheap.
That's because he wears- -
giphy.gif

This is the biggest factor. Though, Arenado would bring the biggest bat to the Mets since Piazza ant Wright in his prime. And is only 28.
I am ok with the Mets if they keep these guys like McNeil and Nimmo but if a guy like Arenado ever comes available you just have to take a shot.
He's worth considering obviously but the money is huge. Take Arenado's $35 mil and spend it elsewhere because the improvement from Arenado from McNeil isn't that huge.

He's worth considering obviously but the money is huge. Take Arenado's $35 mil and spend it elsewhere because the improvement from Arenado from McNeil isn't that huge.

Agreed with the Coupons. Once Cohen takes over we can start thinking differently.

Reactions: redking
Heyman had this to say about Mets and Marte. It is getting worse not better.

"Latest Pitt ask said to be steep. Not sure he's in the request but top SS prospect Ronny Mauricio interests Pitt."

"Latest Pitt ask said to be steep. Not sure he's in the request but top SS prospect Ronny Mauricio interests Pitt."
Why is it bad if Pittsburgh's ask is steep? Surely BVW would NEVER consent to a bad deal.

Reactions: Zak57

That would be really awful and for most GMs their worst deal ever. Lucky for the Mets their GM already has a deal worse than that.

Reactions: tico brown
Pirates ask for Alvarez or Mauricio. Mets obviously say no. Deal could center around Mark Vientos and Newton for Marte

Padres heavily in for Marte however

Hearing Cespedes to Tampa talk albeit low possibility

A declining Marte for an up and coming Nimmo would be so BVW.
If it were Marte for Nimmo straight up, I would make it but not if we have to add a top prospect. BTW- only copied your post because I am a bit confused on how Marte is declining. He is actually on an upswing and may have had his two best seasons.
My problem with Nimmo is that as much as I really love this kid and the old school way he plays, he has been wildly inconsistent and his style of play will always have him prone to injury. But, if Nimmo ever starts to get the bat on the ball more often, he could turn into a monster.

That would be really awful and for most GMs their worst deal ever. Lucky for the Mets their GM already has a deal worse than that.
IDK... This might be worse than Cano and dont bet against BVW to try and top last year's flop.

MLB.com put up a story on nine stars on the verge of being traded, ranked by likelihood of trade. Marte was #1. Some quotes:
  • A matter of when and not if
  • Team-friendly option for 2021
  • At 31, he is coming off his best season
  • He'll bring back multiple prospects.
The bad news (or good news, depending on your perspective) is that there is a lot of competition for his services. Potential landing spots, in addition to Mets, are Padres, Cardinals, Rangers, and Rays.

If it were Marte for Nimmo straight up, I would make it but not if we have to add a top prospect. BTW- only copied your post because I am a bit confused on how Marte is declining. He is actually on an upswing and may have had his two best seasons.
My problem with Nimmo is that as much as I really love this kid and the old school way he plays, he has been wildly inconsistent and his style of play will always have him prone to injury. But, if Nimmo ever starts to get the bat on the ball more often, he could turn into a monster.

His defense by all accounts is becoming worse every year. Stats and eye test back this up. It wasn't his best offensive season but it looks better because of the power and the juiced ball. Player decline especially someone who also relies on speed usually begins at 32. Just roll with Nimmo who is going to have a better season most likely. It's short sighted but that's BVW for you.

Reactions: tico brown
I said the first C.C. contract was going to be a disaster. It turned out to be a bargain. Feel the overpaid for Cole. We will know either way in a few years.
I agree,the first couple of years barring an injury should be a major gain for their rotation. Nine years for any player,especially a pitcher, is insane.

I would have went with Bobby Bonilla. Why not?

Yup, still under contract,lol.
I've said it before and will repeat as necessary. After the Mets cut Bonilla loose with one year left on his contract, their deferral of that year's salary was arguably the best baseball move the Wilpons ever made! Here's why.

1) It freed up enough budget room for them to acquire Mike Hampton, who helped get them to a World Series.

2) When Hampton left at the end of the season as a free agent, the Mets used the compensatory draft pick to draft David Wright.

Mets sign veteran utilityman Eduardo Nunez to a minor league deal with an invite to spring training. I guess he'll be battling Guillorme for a roster spot.

MLB Pipeline has issued its Top 100 list of prospects. The good news is that the Mets had four in the Top 100. The bad news is that none are in the Top 50. Here goes:

#62 - Ronny Mauricio - #10 SS
#63 - Francisco Alvarez - #5 C
#84 - Andres Gimenez (His ranking is going in the wrong direction.)
#93 - Brett Baty - #6 3B

Mets had one player "graduate" from the list, who was ranked #51 last year. Name of Pete Alonso. A Top 50 ranking is clearly not the be all and end all.

Others receiving votes: Kelenic (11), Woods-Richardson (98)

MLB Pipeline has issued its Top 100 list of prospects. The good news is that the Mets had four in the Top 100. The bad news is that none are in the Top 50. Here goes:

#62 - Ronny Mauricio - #10 SS
#63 - Francisco Alvarez - #5 C
#84 - Andres Gimenez (His ranking is going in the wrong direction.)
#93 - Brett Baty - #6 3B

Mets had one player "graduate" from the list, who was ranked #51 last year. Name of Pete Alonso. A Top 50 ranking is clearly not the be all and end all.

Others receiving votes: Kelenic (11), Woods-Richardson (98)

Well when you gut the system it happens. Hopefully we hope onto these guys. Alvarez going to be even more of a riser and Mauricio also. Allan should be on list next year or mid season.

It's funny Kelenic is the exact type of player that BVW is looking to trade for now. Hell probably be up in July or August I think.

Worm you forgot Dunn who is at #70 also. Wooof that and the Stroman trade are awful. Kay would have been a perfect fit for the rotation and without Cano or Lowrie we could have had money to re-sign Wheeler.

Worm you forgot Dunn who is at #70 also. Wooof that and the Stroman trade are awful. Kay would have been a perfect fit for the rotation and without Cano or Lowrie we could have had money to re-sign Wheeler.
No, Dunn was unranked in the 2020 MLB pipeline rating. You may be referring to another prospect list, as there as several. Can't argue with anything else in your post though. Anyway, that was then and this is now. We go to war with the army we have.

EDIT: I figured it out. Dunn was ranked #70 in 2019. So it looks like his stock has dropped somewhat.

No, Dunn was unranked in the 2020 MLB pipeline rating. You may be referring to another prospect list, as there as several. Can't argue with anything else in your post though. Anyway, that was then and this is now. We go to war with the army we have.

EDIT: I figured it out. Dunn was ranked #70 in 2019. So it looks like his stock has dropped somewhat.

Sorry about that!! Another board said he was #70 on this list. I shouldn't have took it as gospel. His AA numbers were pretty good and he had a brief call up and threw 4 innings.

I wouldn't trade Nimmo for Marte straight up. Nimmo has an elite ability to get on base. Marte hits for a better avg but overall I like Nimmo's offense more. And as far as D Marte probably doesn't really belong in CF anymore, I don't really think he's any better than Nimmo in the field. As an extra Marte is $12 mil and is a FA after 2021 which is Nimmo's first arb year.

Reactions: Zak57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT