ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019-20 NY Mets Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

Mets bring back Rene Rivera. Signed to a minor league contract with an invite to camp.

Looks like the new Mets manager will be somebody who's already been interviewed and vetted. There has been no movement to commence a new round of interviews. My totally uninformed guess is that it will be Rojas, with all coaches staying put.

Why not make Cano the player manager like Joe Torre was in the late 70's. Coupons save a few million making daddy happy and Cano will have something to do when he is on the injured list as a player. BVW can then take credit for more "out of the box" thinking.

Why not make Cano the player manager like Joe Torre was in the late 70's. Coupons save a few million making daddy happy and Cano will have something to do when he is on the injured list as a player. BVW can then take credit for more "out of the box" thinking.
This Cano trade is going to make Mets historians wonder 50 years from now, WTF WERE THEY THINKING????????

I would actually take this. Coached most of the young guys in the minors and related to Felipe/Moises Alou. See how this works out.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mets-hire-luis-rojas-as-new-manager
I like the move, has been in the organization for 14 years.
His father is former major league player and manager Felipe Alou and his brother, six-time All-Star Moises Alou, played his final two major league seasons for the Mets.

per ESPN, Rojas doesn't have the last name Alou because when he was a minor leaguer with the Washington Nationals, the franchise asked him to change his name from Luis Alou to Luis Rojas to match his birth certificate, he told the New York Post last year. The newspaper reported that Rojas is the family name but Felipe, Moises and his uncles used Alou, which is the surname of Rojas' paternal grandmother.

Reactions: redking
His father is former major league player and manager Felipe Alou and his brother, six-time All-Star Moises Alou, played his final two major league seasons for the Mets.

per ESPN, Rojas doesn't have the last name Alou because when he was a minor leaguer with the Washington Nationals, the franchise asked him to change his name from Luis Alou to Luis Rojas to match his birth certificate, he told the New York Post last year. The newspaper reported that Rojas is the family name but Felipe, Moises and his uncles used Alou, which is the surname of Rojas' paternal grandmother.
The next scandal on NJ . Com and the reporters will make it sound like that the name change is Rutgers fault.

The next scandal on NJ . Com and the reporters will make it sound like that the name change is Rutgers fault.
isn't everything Rutgers fault? I get a flat tire, I now blame RU. Its been a long time since it's been fun to be an RU fan, Football on the rise and both basketball teams doing well.

Looks like the new Mets manager will be somebody who's already been interviewed and vetted. There has been no movement to commence a new round of interviews. My totally uninformed guess is that it will be Rojas, with all coaches staying put.
Occasionally, I find an acorn.

Another first-time Manager. A few months ago he wasn't ready to be the Manager. Today he's seasoned and ready to conquer the baseball world. Now, BVW can continue to manage games from the comfort of his home, suite box, toilet seat or wherever his mobile device is located.

Can't wait for new Ownership and hope better decisions are made including sending an Agent who's a wanna-be Manager packing.

This Cano trade is going to make Mets historians wonder 50 years from now, WTF WERE THEY THINKING????????
Curious what they think if Cano plays all year like how he ended it and ends up .280 15 HR 30+ Doubles and 80/80 R's/RBI and Diaz goes back to a 40+ save meanwhile the kids we gave up never make a real impact in the league?

a caller brought up the following on the fan yesterday and I wonder the thoughts in this thread.
Nolan Arenado - MCNeil as the primary players involved. I couldn't believe that Joe B wouldn't make the trade...I love McNeil but they really aren't on the same level.

Another first-time Manager. A few months ago he wasn't ready to be the Manager. Today he's seasoned and ready to conquer the baseball world. Now, BVW can continue to manage games from the comfort of his home, suite box, toilet seat or wherever his mobile device is located.

Can't wait for new Ownership and hope better decisions are made including sending an Agent who's a wanna-be Manager packing.
1412870127552_wps_40_A_man_is_about_to_Burst_a.jpg

Reactions: RURM85

Also is cousin of the much maligned former Met pitcher Mel Rojas.

I was thinking that last year when the deal was made. I hated it then and it's now in the conversation as one of the worst trades in franchise history.

Reactions: tico brown
a caller brought up the following on the fan yesterday and I wonder the thoughts in this thread.
Nolan Arenado - MCNeil as the primary players involved. I couldn't believe that Joe B wouldn't make the trade...I love McNeil but they really aren't on the same level.
Look at Arenado's home/road splits. He's amazing at home and not great on the road. McNeil and Arenado are closer than you think.

I guess you cant compare Rojas to Boone's impact on all of those sellouts at Yankee Stadium
Yankees were selling out before Boone. The Mets last sellout?? To see an unknown manager???
Seriously. That is your stupid comeback??

Just responding to your stupid claim that Met fans are not excited enough to buy tickets to see Rojas as if Yankee fans were flocking the stadium to see Boone.

Reactions: Zak57
I was thinking that last year when the deal was made. I hated it then and it's now in the conversation as one of the worst trades in franchise history.
Those conversations may prove to be right, but right now they are premature.

There is a nonzero possibility that Diaz returns to his 2018 form, and Cano has a full season like his post-injury second half level of performance. And maybe the Mets win the World Series. It has happened before. Twice!

If that happens, it's a successful trade. Full stop. No matter how many MVP awards Kelenic goes on to win.

One other thought... one reason why most of us hated the trade is that we thought it would financially hamstring the Wilpons for years to come. With Cohen's impending takeover, that concern is mitigated somewhat.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Just responding to your stupid claim that Met fans are not excited enough to buy tickets to see Rojas as if Yankee fans were flocking the stadium to see Boone.
So will Mets season ticket sales increase with this hire?? I bet no!

So will Mets season ticket sales increase with this hire?? I bet no!
Of course they won't increase as a DIRECT result of the hire. I don't think anyone contemplates that, from Cohen/Wilpons on down.

However, if the hire results in a level of team success in 2020 for which we are cautiously optimistic, then I would expect an increase in season ticket sales for 2021.

Of course they won't increase as a DIRECT result of the hire. I don't think anyone contemplates that, from Cohen/Wilpons on down.

However, if the hire results in a level of team success in 2020 for which we are cautiously optimistic, then I would expect an increase in season ticket sales for 2021.
I agree. I was just responding to a stupid post. The Phillies are seeing a jump in sales due to Giradi. Manager optimism can sell tickets

I agree. I was just responding to a stupid post. The Phillies are seeing a jump in sales due to Giradi. Manager optimism can sell tickets

No one cares if manager optimism sells more tickets. We're fans we care about winning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT