ADVERTISEMENT

OT: A bit of nostalgia for us older fans and new alike

I was a season ticket holder that year (and for many more to come). There were several escapes to maintain the unbeaten record, the most exciting being the last game of the year, which was against St. Bonaventure, where RU came from 7 behind in the 2nd half to win.

The fact that we made the final four was great, but it took a lot of help to get there. We had to win what was then the ECAC championship to get there. It counted as what is today the NCAA first round. It was like a play in tournament for teams not in a conference. We played Princeton in Providence and won when a Princeton player missed the front end of a one and one at the end. 2 free throws would have beaten us. That was especially significant because Princeton was one of the best free throw shooting teams in the country. The tournament was done by regions then with all teams from the east in one region, same for the south, etc. The east region included the ACC, but the ACC team (North Carolina?) was upset early and RU never had to play them. We ended up having to beat VMI (I think) in the regional final.

Both Indiana and Rutgers were headed to the final four with 31-0 records. Rutgers had a really nice team, but it was not in the class of Michigan, Indiana or UCLA (the other final four teams) and were there because of a combination of events. The press was saying what a serendipity it was for RU to be there and that they were big underdogs. Unfortunately, the RU coach, Tom Young, missed his opportunity to play the underdog and show some humility. Instead, he got on a soapbox about how RU was as good as the other teams. Unfortunately, it took about 5 minutes of the semi-final Michigan game to prove him wrong. RU was never in that game. IN those days they played a consolation 3rd place game before the championship. We played UCLA who had lost to Indiana. That game was not much better than the Michigan game. But I sat a few rows in front of John Wooden and was able to get him to autograph my program, so it was not all bad.

What could have been the start of a great run for RU wasn't because Young failed to capitalize on our great year in recruiting and he eventually left RU for Old Dominion.

I was a season ticket holder that year (and for many more to come). There were several escapes to maintain the unbeaten record, the most exciting being the last game of the year, which was against St. Bonaventure, where RU came from 7 behind in the 2nd half to win.

The fact that we made the final four was great, but it took a lot of help to get there. We had to win what was then the ECAC championship to get there. It counted as what is today the NCAA first round. It was like a play in tournament for teams not in a conference. We played Princeton in Providence and won when a Princeton player missed the front end of a one and one at the end. 2 free throws would have beaten us. That was especially significant because Princeton was one of the best free throw shooting teams in the country. The tournament was done by regions then with all teams from the east in one region, same for the south, etc. The east region included the ACC, but the ACC team (North Carolina?) was upset early and RU never had to play them. We ended up having to beat VMI (I think) in the regional final.

Both Indiana and Rutgers were headed to the final four with 31-0 records. Rutgers had a really nice team, but it was not in the class of Michigan, Indiana or UCLA (the other final four teams) and were there because of a combination of events. The press was saying what a serendipity it was for RU to be there and that they were big underdogs. Unfortunately, the RU coach, Tom Young, missed his opportunity to play the underdog and show some humility. Instead, he got on a soapbox about how RU was as good as the other teams. Unfortunately, it took about 5 minutes of the semi-final Michigan game to prove him wrong. RU was never in that game. IN those days they played a consolation 3rd place game before the championship. We played UCLA who had lost to Indiana. That game was not much better than the Michigan game. But I sat a few rows in front of John Wooden and was able to get him to autograph my program, so it was not all bad.

What could have been the start of a great run for RU wasn't because Young failed to capitalize on our great year in recruiting and he eventually left RU for Old Dominion.

I just remember Ricky Green being so much quicker than our guards.
And friggin Phil Hubbard.

Funny but I didn't see it as we didn't really belong? Our team played fast and hard for 60 minutes though we were a little undersided in the box.....we were built for speed and ''chaos''.....6th man Abdel Anderson grew up in my neighborhood...I loved Phil Sellers and Hollis Copeland...and wasn't it Indiana St not Indiana with Larry Bird?

Funny but I didn't see it as we didn't really belong? Our team played fast and hard for 60 minutes though we were a little undersided in the box.....we were built for speed and ''chaos''.....6th man Abdel Anderson grew up in my neighborhood...I loved Phil Sellers and Hollis Copeland...and wasn't it Indiana St not Indiana with Larry Bird?

No, it was Indiana with Kent Benson, Scott May, Quinn Buckner. There were one of the most dominant college basketball teams ever, and it is no disgrace losing to them

Reactions: NickyNewark51

If I remember correctly we shot horribly to start the Michigan game. We missed a lot of easy shots. If we start well could have been a different outcome. I don't agree with saying we were not in the same class as them. UCLA game was fairly competitive

No, it was Indiana with Kent Benson, Scott May, Quinn Buckner. There were one of the most dominant college basketball teams ever, and it is no disgrace losing to them
OH my memory must be failing me...lol... I remember a year Magic and Larry were in the same F4 and for some reason mixed them up...long time ago..

If I remember correctly we shot horribly to start the Michigan game. We missed a lot of easy shots. If we start well could have been a different outcome. I don't agree with saying we were not in the same class as them. UCLA game was fairly competitive
------
This

We had a few blown lay ups, easy shots missed that put us in a hole early....... We just could not recover.....which is no excuse for a good team..." We never made a serious move to close the scoring gap

I believe we entered the game as a two point underdog, which was a bit surprising for RU fans, but turned out to be correct as to who should be favored....

When we had the 25 year anniversary of that season, I did a game by game recap of each game, on the anniversary date of each game as it came up...... I intend to do so for the 50th, Lord willing

------
This

We had a few blown lay ups, easy shots missed that put us in a hole early....... We just could not recover.....which is no excuse for a good team..." We never made a serious move to close the scoring gap

I believe we entered the game as a two point underdog, which was a bit surprising for RU fans, but turned out to be correct as to who should be favored....

When we had the 25 year anniversary of that season, I did a game by game recap of each game, on the anniversary date of each game as it came up...... I intend to do so for the 50th, Lord willing
Your right we just didn't play up to our potential. They were an exciting team though.

Your right we just didn't play up to our potential. They were an exciting team though.

That was one of the most exciting teams that I've ever seen in college basketball.
RU's press was great. And the uptempo play was a joy to watch.
And, as someone said earlier, that was before the shot clock was introduced.
BTW, does anyone recall the Kentucky-Cincinnati game back in the day that most likely led to the shot clock being introduced ? I think the final in that one was something like 12-6.....with an undermanned Bearcats squad holding the ball for pretty much the entire game ?

That was one of the most exciting teams that I've ever seen in college basketball.
RU's press was great. And the uptempo play was a joy to watch.
And, as someone said earlier, that was before the shot clock was introduced.
BTW, does anyone recall the Kentucky-Cincinnati game back in the day that most likely led to the shot clock being introduced ? I think the final in that one was something like 12-6.....with an undermanned Bearcats squad holding the ball for pretty much the entire game ?
--------------
I know we had a game at the MSG against a New York team, I believe, after that season.... the half time score was in single digits for both teams....the other team ( Columbia?) played stall ball for the first half and we only had a small lead....after RU scored a few quick 2nd half buckets the other
team had to abandon the tactic and the final score for RU wound up in the 60's or so...

[QUOTE="NickyNewark51, post: 1782711.I loved Phil Sellers and Hollis Copeland...and wasn't it Indiana St not Indiana with Larry Bird?[/QUOTE]

As stated above it was Indiana University and not State with Bird. RU did play against Larry BIrd at the RAC in an NIT game, but i can't remember the year. I think it was a year or 2 after the Final Four team. RU won by 2 points in a very exciting game.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
[QUOTE="NickyNewark51, post: 1782711.I loved Phil Sellers and Hollis Copeland...and wasn't it Indiana St not Indiana with Larry Bird?

As stated above it was Indiana University and not State with Bird. RU did play against Larry BIrd at the RAC in an NIT game, but i can't remember the year.[/QUOTE]
-----------
Larry enrolled at Indiana, dropped out, and eventually wound up at Indiana state...

the game at the RAC vs Indiana state was one of the most exciting ever at the RAC....it came down to a last couple of seconds, base line shot
by James Bailey to give RU the lead.....Bird got off a half court shot that hit the rim and scared the crap out of me, I thought it was going in...

wikipedia

Bird received a scholarship to play college basketball for the Indiana Hoosiers in 1974.[12] After less than a month on campus, he dropped out of school, finding the adjustment between his small hometown and the large student population of Bloomington to be overwhelming.[7] He returned to French Lick, enrolling at Northwood Institute in nearby West Baden and working municipal jobs for a year before enrolling at Indiana State University in 1975.[13][14][15] He had a successful three-year career with the Sycamores, helping them reach the NCAA tournament for the first time in school history and leading them to the championship game against Michigan State in 1979.[16][17] Indiana State would lose the game 75–64, with Bird scoring 19 points but making only 7 of 21 shots for 33.3 percent shooting rate.[7] The game achieved the highest ever rating for a college basketball game in large part because of the match-up between Bird and Spartans' point guard Earvin "Magic" Johnson,[8] a rivalry that lasted throughout their professional careers. Despite failing to win the championship, Bird earned a slew of year-end awards and honors for his outstanding play, including the Naismith College Player of the Year Award.[17] For his college career, he averaged 30.3 points, 13.3 rebounds, and 4.6 assists per game,[18] leading the Sycamores to an 81–13 record during his tenure.[17]

As stated above it was Indiana University and not State with Bird. RU did play against Larry BIrd at the RAC in an NIT game, but i can't remember the year.
-----------
Larry enrolled at Indiana, dropped out, and eventually wound up at Indiana state...

the game at the RAC vs Indiana state was one of the most exciting ever at the RAC....it came down to a last couple of seconds, base line shot
by James Bailey to give RU the lead.....Bird got off a half court shot that hit the rim and scared the crap out of me, I thought it was going in...

wikipedia

Bird received a scholarship to play college basketball for the Indiana Hoosiers in 1974.[12] After less than a month on campus, he dropped out of school, finding the adjustment between his small hometown and the large student population of Bloomington to be overwhelming.[7] He returned to French Lick, enrolling at Northwood Institute in nearby West Baden and working municipal jobs for a year before enrolling at Indiana State University in 1975.[13][14][15] He had a successful three-year career with the Sycamores, helping them reach the NCAA tournament for the first time in school history and leading them to the championship game against Michigan State in 1979.[16][17] Indiana State would lose the game 75–64, with Bird scoring 19 points but making only 7 of 21 shots for 33.3 percent shooting rate.[7] The game achieved the highest ever rating for a college basketball game in large part because of the match-up between Bird and Spartans' point guard Earvin "Magic" Johnson,[8] a rivalry that lasted throughout their professional careers. Despite failing to win the championship, Bird earned a slew of year-end awards and honors for his outstanding play, including the Naismith College Player of the Year Award.[17] For his college career, he averaged 30.3 points, 13.3 rebounds, and 4.6 assists per game,[18] leading the Sycamores to an 81–13 record during his tenure.[17][/QUOTE]
Those were the years I was proud to be an RU MBB fan but with the drop off in buzz and coaching slowly lost interest....there was nowhere better to be than at the Barn on a hoops night for awhile..I'm looking forward to reaching back our place in the hoops world here....

I just remember Ricky Green being so much quicker than our guards.
And friggin Phil Hubbard.
That's what I remember from that game also. Green was the only guard that year who was appreciably quicker than Eddie. If memory serves me right, it wasn't even close. And Phil Sellers didin't play too well in those last two games either. I read a quote from sportswriter to the effect that he had never seen anyone play his way out of more first round money. It was a tough end to a great year. They really were fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT