ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Air miles flown

RUtix4me

All American
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2015
Getting ready for a flight tomorrow and decided to check my lifetime miles with each program. I’ve actually never checked. Most flying has been business I am sure some here have flow much more, interesting to see who here is the miles king

AA 254,528
UA 205,470
Delta 110,095

Total 570,093

given I flew as a kid and haven’t always used a loyalty program, I would guess I am around 600k.

• Wow
Reactions: redking
No idea what my lifetime number is but I know I flew roughly 350,000 miles in ‘98. Lots of international travel. I would literally wake up in my hotel room some mornings and not remember which continent I was on
Yowsers. Probably close to 2 million lifetime but 350 in one year is nuts

Reactions: ruinac
No idea what my lifetime number is but I know I flew roughly 350,000 miles in ‘98. Lots of international travel. I would literally wake up in my hotel room some mornings and not remember which continent I was on
I cant imagine 1,000 miles a day. What type of flying? Were you going to Asia?

I just forgot the OP and trying to figure out 1000 miles a day- 45 mins or more back and forth to the airport- an hour on either side of checkin/checkout - hotel etc and wondering what the hell you could be doing for any company in the left over time to pay for someone to do so.,,

I just forgot the OP and trying to figure out 1000 miles a day- 45 mins or more back and forth to the airport- an hour on either side of checkin/checkout - hotel etc and wondering what the hell you could be doing for any company in the left over time to pay for someone to do so.,,

I'm sure it wasn't only 1,000 a day.
That's just an average.

EWR to LAX is 5k round-trip.
If you go Monday and return Wednesday that's 5k in 3 days.

I've flown for work and checked in for both flights at the same time basically.
Early morning departure. Afternoon meeting. Morning departure.

Real trick is fly east late night.
Arrive the next morning and right to work.

I cant imagine 1,000 miles a day. What type of flying? Were you going to Asia?
Mostly international flights. Those mile add up fast. Beijing is about 14,000 miles round trip. Santiago, Chile 10,000. London 7,000. Plus many more. I had one stretch of 13 consecutive weeks going overseas and back.

Maybe he was a pilot.

Gee, I wonder how many miles I have after 34 years in the airline industry? (Continental 24 years, retired. 8 years Southwest, last two at American and counting…)

Probably not a million miles but 20+ times from Houston/Dallas to lots of European cities and lots of zigs and zags all over the US and a half dozen times down to Latin American countries… probably adds up I bet.

750k+ on United and off the top of my head about another 35 to 50k spread across the other airlines

Reactions: RUtix4me
Gee, I wonder how many miles I have after 34 years in the airline industry? (Continental 24 years, retired. 8 years Southwest, last two at American and counting…)

Probably not a million miles but 20+ times from Houston/Dallas to lots of European cities and lots of zigs and zags all over the US and a half dozen times down to Latin American countries… probably adds up I bet.
You have to be well over a million. 5,000 a week would be 250k a year. 30k a year would put you over a million that would be 600 miles a week.

Reactions: RUHouston
That's just an average.

I did that in to London and Zurich for about five years. Worst was working most the day and then getting on a nine hour flight home from Zurich. You get home at 10pm but your body thinks it’s 4am.

Reactions: Section124
Back in the late 90's I was Managing Director for 13 data centers and help desks through the North East, Mid Atlantic and the Michigan/Ohio area.
Since it wasn't long distance, the miles didn't add up much but my number of legs did. Typical week would be fly to Kalamazoo through Detroit, get there, meet my team onsite for an hour grab late lunch early dinner and then a flight to Columbus. Next morning spend an hour or two onsite jump on a flight to Boston, same thing, flight to South Carolina or Atlanta etc and usually back home late Friday night. Also, always stayed at Marriotts.
Part of this schedule led to my divorce...shortly after- I was dating a young lady and decided I wanted to take a long weekend trip with her so I called Marriott to see how many points I had with them and if it may be enough for a long weekend to someplace like Miami.
Found out I had enough for 2 weeks at any of their hotels or resorts in the world. And my airline points allowed for 2 first class flights anywhere in the world as well.

So- decided on Grand Cayman (I think this was not long after the "Firm" came out) - It was OK but wished I had decided somewhere else. We got a lot of rain and the MArriott resort in GC was more like a business hotel. And didn't help that the girlfriend didn't like exploring much and complained a lot. lol
But, was amazed that I had built up points so quickly.
Now a Days- I find Hotel points almost worthless- add up so slow and points needed are so damn high. We sold our house in 2020- and we had to stay at a Courtyard for 4 months until we could move into our new place. I think we earned enough points for 2 nights at an average hotel.

I’m above 1.2mm with United (99% domestic, so a lot of flights). I had a ton with TWA and Northwest but those miles are ancient history.

No it doesn't suck. Try American and get back to us. It's not what Continental was, but it's not terrible.
Compared to what Continental was, it’s terrible. Customer Service isn’t what it used to be. Continental was a really well run airline, thanks to Gordon Bethune. These days I avoid United like the plague.

Compared to what Continental was, it’s terrible. Customer Service isn’t what it used to be. Continental was a really well run airline, thanks to Gordon Bethune. These days I avoid United like the plague.
Which airline do you use? American is awful. Delta service from Newark is limited. As I said, United is not that bad.

Last edited:
Which airline do you use? American is awful. Delta service from Newark is limited. As I said, I said, United is not that bad.
I agree. In the old days Continental was my favorite and I hated United the most. United is not that bad and they take more crap than deserved. My flights to Europe were always on-time/early coming and going. I was a big Delta fan about 10-12 years ago and then they started to burn me left and right. Al probably flies from LGA mostly so Delta would be great out of there. Not so much from EWR.

As you said American is the worst. Back in the 80's they were my favorite. Always had the best looking flight attendants (United had the old women and men) back then. They are the only airline I have flown in the last 20 years were I was concerned about the condition of the planes/safety overall.

Reactions: Knight Shift
United getting the bad rap and I think most of their issues have been more EWR related than their own service. American, Delta so much worse.
And when JetBlue came out- it was so refreshing but even they have now become unreliable and no longer even close to the best price, usually come in at the highest prices now

I agree. In the old days Continental was my favorite and I hated United the most. United is not that bad and they take more crap than deserved. My flights to Europe were always on-time/early coming and going. I was a big Delta fan about 10-12 years ago and then they started to burn me left and right. Al probably flies from LGA mostly so Delta would be great out of there. Not so much from EWR.

As you said American is the worst. Back in the 80's they were my favorite. Always had the best looking flight attendants (United had the old women and men) back then. They are the only airline I have flown in the last 20 years were I was concerned about the condition of the planes/safety overall.
I was so emphatic, I said, I said twice! Seriously, while I remember Continental being quite great, I also remember the alternative (especially USAir) to be pitiful.
We fly exclusively on United, and I can't remember being more than 15-20 mins late on any one flight or having any service problems whatsoever. We just flew back and forth to Spain on United, and it was, quite frankly, great.

United getting the bad rap and I think most of their issues have been more EWR related than their own service. American, Delta so much worse.
And when JetBlue came out- it was so refreshing but even they have now become unreliable and no longer even close to the best price, usually come in at the highest prices now
American- last time we used them was quite a few years ago. They stranded us in Dallas on Christmas eve when our connecting flight to Phoenix was canceled. Our kids were very young. They gave us vouchers to stay at the Days Inn in Euless, TX for the night. I read the reviews on my mobile phone, and saw several that said things like, "cockroaches," "crack dealers in parking lot," "dangerous," criminals," etc. I asked the service desk if they had an alternative, which they initially did not point out- they said we could use those vouchers at any hotel. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency at the DFW airport.

My kids learned a valuable life less that night- when given the choice between the Days Inn and the Hyatt Regency, go for the Hyatt Regency. For years after, whenever we were waiting to board a plane, I would pull up reviews of the Days Inn in Eulesss, and it never seems to change. Except now it is owned by Wyndham. So, I took a gander at the reviews on Google, and found these two gems 🤣 :

"2/5 a month ago on
googleg_48dp.png
Google

American Airlines put me up here for the night after a mechanical issue caused me to miss my connection. I called from the airport and was told 20 minutes to pick up. It was closer to 45. I noticed the shuttle had several warning lights on the dash - service engine and tire pressure included. The shuttle driver, Marcus, was really kind and funny.Thank you fellow reviewers, I did a thorough search for evidence of bed bugs and found my room clean.My room did not have a security lock. When I brought this up to the front desk staff they said "don't worry, we have cameras in the hall." Tip - the nightstand plus a trash can on its side will physically lock the door from the inside. Did I hear someone trying to get into my room during the night? Yep. Probably an innocent mistake but wow I'm glad I didn't find out for sure. The bed pillow situation is odd - six throw pillows and no proper pillows. Thankfully the room a/c worked.The rooms have a TV, a desk with no chair, a mini fridge, and a microwave. They came with two sets of towels and soap, shampoo, and lotion minis.Between the freeway and the airport the rooms are loud. The windows are not sound proof.The breakfast and hot water for tea are by request only. Options included a crunchy or soft muffin or yogurt."

"1/5 2 weeks ago on
googleg_48dp.png
Google
New

This hotel was absolutely horrible. The people we encountered that work there were kind but that was pretty much the only decent part about this hotel. I only stayed at this hotel because I missed my flight and American Airlines paid for a room for my aunt and I to have somewhere to stay for the night. We both ended up with lice after staying here. It’s not very clean and isn’t very well taken care of. The water in the lobby was cloudy and dirty, I couldn’t believe they would try to serve that to anyone! The room we stayed in smelled like cigarettes even though it’s a nonsmoking hotel. The only decent part about the room was the fake marble in the shower. The water pressure was terrible. I wouldn’t even put the word “pressure” in water pressure, honestly. Do yourself a favor and stay at a hotel that’s actually worth your time and presence."

----
I am a really big proponent of customer/client service. I pointed out these issues to the person at the service desk at AA during our trip. Don't you think someone in management at AA would step in and say, no more putting people up in this hotel? Nope. Our experience was about 15 years ago. By the way, the Hyatt Regency was first rate all the way. It cost us an extra $50 for the night. But I guess I'm privileged. 😜

• Haha
I was so emphatic, I said, I said twice! Seriously, while I remember Continental being quite great, I also remember the alternative (especially USAir) to be pitiful.
We fly exclusively on United, and I can't remember being more than 15-20 mins late on any one flight or having any service problems whatsoever. We just flew back and forth to Spain on United, and it was, quite frankly, great.

American- last time we used them was quite a few years ago. They stranded us in Dallas on Christmas eve when our connecting flight to Phoenix was canceled. Our kids were very young. They gave us vouchers to stay at the Days Inn in Euless, TX for the night. I read the reviews on my mobile phone, and saw several that said things like, "cockroaches," "crack dealers in parking lot," "dangerous," criminals," etc. I asked the service desk if they had an alternative, which they initially did not point out- they said we could use those vouchers at any hotel. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency at the DFW airport.

My kids learned a valuable life less that night- when given the choice between the Days Inn and the Hyatt Regency, go for the Hyatt Regency. For years after, whenever we were waiting to board a plane, I would pull up reviews of the Days Inn in Eulesss, and it never seems to change. Except now it is owned by Wyndham. So, I took a gander at the reviews on Google, and found these two gems 🤣 :

"2/5 a month ago on
googleg_48dp.png
Google

American Airlines put me up here for the night after a mechanical issue caused me to miss my connection. I called from the airport and was told 20 minutes to pick up. It was closer to 45. I noticed the shuttle had several warning lights on the dash - service engine and tire pressure included. The shuttle driver, Marcus, was really kind and funny.Thank you fellow reviewers, I did a thorough search for evidence of bed bugs and found my room clean.My room did not have a security lock. When I brought this up to the front desk staff they said "don't worry, we have cameras in the hall." Tip - the nightstand plus a trash can on its side will physically lock the door from the inside. Did I hear someone trying to get into my room during the night? Yep. Probably an innocent mistake but wow I'm glad I didn't find out for sure. The bed pillow situation is odd - six throw pillows and no proper pillows. Thankfully the room a/c worked.The rooms have a TV, a desk with no chair, a mini fridge, and a microwave. They came with two sets of towels and soap, shampoo, and lotion minis.Between the freeway and the airport the rooms are loud. The windows are not sound proof.The breakfast and hot water for tea are by request only. Options included a crunchy or soft muffin or yogurt."

"1/5 2 weeks ago on
googleg_48dp.png
Google
New

This hotel was absolutely horrible. The people we encountered that work there were kind but that was pretty much the only decent part about this hotel. I only stayed at this hotel because I missed my flight and American Airlines paid for a room for my aunt and I to have somewhere to stay for the night. We both ended up with lice after staying here. It’s not very clean and isn’t very well taken care of. The water in the lobby was cloudy and dirty, I couldn’t believe they would try to serve that to anyone! The room we stayed in smelled like cigarettes even though it’s a nonsmoking hotel. The only decent part about the room was the fake marble in the shower. The water pressure was terrible. I wouldn’t even put the word “pressure” in water pressure, honestly. Do yourself a favor and stay at a hotel that’s actually worth your time and presence."

----
I am a really big proponent of customer/client service. I pointed out these issues to the person at the service desk at AA during our trip. Don't you think someone in management at AA would step in and say, no more putting people up in this hotel? Nope. Our experience was about 15 years ago. By the way, the Hyatt Regency was first rate all the way. It cost us an extra $50 for the night. But I guess I'm privileged. 😜
I also do almost exclusive United unless they do not have a direct or 1 stop flight available. It helps to have their Club card with the benefits of the lounge, early boarding and free checked bags..,but I have never had any major issue with them. I think we had one time where we were not going to make a layover due to their issue and they had no additional flights that day. We called the credit card help and they assisted along with United to get us on a different airline with no addition fees and still got the miles.

Which airline do you use? American is awful. Delta service from Newark is limited. As I said, United is not that bad.
They are all terrible but I found JetBlue to be least terrible. Since I live in New York, it’s convenient, because I can take flights from JFK, LGA, or EWR.
Air travel isn’t what it used to be.

They are all terrible but I found JetBlue to be least terrible. Since I live in New York, it’s convenient, because I can take flights from JFK, LGA, or EWR.
Air travel isn’t what it used to be.
Agree with you on that. We did a Spirit flight out of Atlantic City years ago, and we said never again. Never tried Jet Blue. We are fairly captive to EWR, and perhaps our lack of exposure to other airlines and our general satisfaction with United has resulted in earned loyalty to United. I just remembered that due to a lack of options, I took a flight from San Diego to Phoenix on Southwest last December. Never again. Weird boarding and seating process. If I had to rate them vs United on a scale of 1 to 10, SW gets a 2 and United an 8 or 9. YMMV.

Reactions: rutgersal
Agree with you on that. We did a Spirit flight out of Atlantic City years ago, and we said never again. Never tried Jet Blue. We are fairly captive to EWR, and perhaps our lack of exposure to other airlines and our general satisfaction with United has resulted in earned loyalty to United. I just remembered that due to a lack of options, I took a flight from San Diego to Phoenix on Southwest last December. Never again. Weird boarding and seating process. If I had to rate them vs United on a scale of 1 to 10, SW gets a 2 and United an 8 or 9. YMMV.
Before moving into NJ and I was in the Dutchess county part of NY- I used to love taking JB out of JFK. They had the best terminal, process and the in air programming. They were also the least expensive in those days.
But since moving here into NJ- it is usually EWR all the way unless there is no choice and I have to use JFK or LGA. But both of those are such a gamble with traffic and the bridges. Kevin used to fly into the NYC airports all the time when playing in the NFL and picking him up- dropping off, just sucked.

But, Jet Blue is no longer the cheapest fair when I search flights and with all the improvements with tablets and cell phones- the JB programming isn't as much of a game changer.
Also have heard too many issues with JB delays and cancels in recent years.

Nice thing with United and their club card- is that it combines miles with Bonvoy points as well.

That pick your seat thing is kind of crazy- I don't remember the only time I did that but it was just a couple of days after that TWA went down in LI. Traveling for business and already a bit on alert and then that whole crazy boarding process. And me and my co-worker actually got on the flight pretty early so we both picked an aisle seat across from each other. And some dude comes in as one of the last to board and asks if he could take one of our seats. lol WTF...lol

Before moving into NJ and I was in the Dutchess county part of NY- I used to love taking JB out of JFK. They had the best terminal, process and the in air programming. They were also the least expensive in those days.
But since moving here into NJ- it is usually EWR all the way unless there is no choice and I have to use JFK or LGA. But both of those are such a gamble with traffic and the bridges. Kevin used to fly into the NYC airports all the time when playing in the NFL and picking him up- dropping off, just sucked.

But, Jet Blue is no longer the cheapest fair when I search flights and with all the improvements with tablets and cell phones- the JB programming isn't as much of a game changer.
Also have heard too many issues with JB delays and cancels in recent years.

Nice thing with United and their club card- is that it combines miles with Bonvoy points as well.

That pick your seat thing is kind of crazy- I don't remember the only time I did that but it was just a couple of days after that TWA went down in LI. Traveling for business and already a bit on alert and then that whole crazy boarding process. And me and my co-worker actually got on the flight pretty early so we both picked an aisle seat across from each other. And some dude comes in as one of the last to board and asks if he could take one of our seats. lol WTF...lol
I was flying solo. I sat next to a guy with the most enormous service dog I have ever seen. He was cool and the dog was even cooler-well trained. I could not fly that way with the Mrs. anyone else.

750k+ on United and off the top of my head about another 35 to 50k spread across the other airlines
I'm probably near there too but a lot of my miles are also from CCard Benefits and not actual miles flown (perhaps half).

Some crazy travel loads in this thread. I used to love it , then I hated it, now I kinda like it again (cause I hardly fly anymore).

I was flying solo. I sat next to a guy with the most enormous service dog I have ever seen. He was cool and the dog was even cooler-well trained. I could not fly that way with the Mrs. anyone else.
Wife and I were flying home from Maui a few years back- direct flight. And she had a window seat and I had the middle seat - and I made the worst mistake ever, never to repeated. Big ole guy coming down the aisle and no doubt he was beelining straight to the seat next to me. And I had not realized at the time that my armrest was in the up position. This MF'r literally has half a ass cheek on my leg/seat and his upper body taking almost half my seat.
I learned from that time on- I board early and my arm rest goes into down position immediately and I will not leave my seat or lift the armrest until the seat next to me is filled. I have had a couple of very large people sit and either try to raise the arm rest, but I keep my arm on it and don't budge or they ask if they can raise it and I try to be polite as possible when telling them I prefer not to. lol

Wife and I were flying home from Maui a few years back- direct flight. And she had a window seat and I had the middle seat - and I made the worst mistake ever, never to repeated. Big ole guy coming down the aisle and no doubt he was beelining straight to the seat next to me. And I had not realized at the time that my armrest was in the up position. This MF'r literally has half a ass cheek on my leg/seat and his upper body taking almost half my seat.
I learned from that time on- I board early and my arm rest goes into down position immediately and I will not leave my seat or lift the armrest until the seat next to me is filled. I have had a couple of very large people sit and either try to raise the arm rest, but I keep my arm on it and don't budge or they ask if they can raise it and I try to be polite as possible when telling them I prefer not to. lol
Similar type of story. Got "stuck" next to such a large guy. I would NEVER say anything to someone who has a weight problem and make them feel bad about it. Plane takes off, and the guy is all over me. I open up the latest issue of Fire Engineering, and he politely asks me if I am a firefighter (only firefighters read Fire Engineering). We had one of the most pleasant 2-3 hour flights I can remember sitting next to a stranger, trading war stories about fires and firefighting. Make lemonade out of lemons, but don't make lemon ice cream!!! 😜

Similar type of story. Got "stuck" next to such a large guy. I would NEVER say anything to someone who has a weight problem and make them feel bad about it. Plane takes off, and the guy is all over me. I open up the latest issue of Fire Engineering, and he politely asks me if I am a firefighter (only firefighters read Fire Engineering). We had one of the most pleasant 2-3 hour flights I can remember sitting next to a stranger, trading war stories about fires and firefighting. Make lemonade out of lemons, but don't make lemon ice cream!!! 😜
I have no problem with the person and would never go out of my way to make them feel bad- but when paying my hard earned money for a flight- I expect to have my seat and not have to share it with someone. And if their body type is too big for the seat, as nice as I may be- I am not going to be the one super uncomfortable for the flight. If they have to find a way to squeeze between the tight armrests and they are uncomfortable, that is 100% on them.
When we were flying all around the country with Kevin on his OV's and him being 6ft5 300+ lbs- We went out of our way to get him a bulkhead seat or an aisle in a exit row. And if we couldn't pre book it- we would always ask at the gate- and usually, when they saw him- they made an accommodation or try to put him in a row with an open seat.

I have no problem with the person and would never go out of my way to make them feel bad- but when paying my hard earned money for a flight- I expect to have my seat and not have to share it with someone. And if their body type is too big for the seat, as nice as I may be- I am not going to be the one super uncomfortable for the flight. If they have to find a way to squeeze between the tight armrests and they are uncomfortable, that is 100% on them.
When we were flying all around the country with Kevin on his OV's and him being 6ft5 300+ lbs- We went out of our way to get him a bulkhead seat or an aisle in a exit row. And if we couldn't pre book it- we would always ask at the gate- and usually, when they saw him- they made an accommodation or try to put him in a row with an open seat.
Oh, I agree. I like the window seat, and my wife prefers the middle seat, so when we travel together, it's never a problem. I forget how I wound up next to that large firefighter. And he did apologize to me for hanging over on me before he knew I was a firefighter too. People here disagree with me, but the entire food system, including the airlines is part of the problem. When we fly United, I usually get at least two reminders to order my snacks before the flight, and then they come around and offer the most unhealthy snacks during the flight- pretzels, candy, etc. What are we, toddlers that need our snacks? I can make a 3-5 hour flight without food, thank you. And if I am going to eat, I will make sure it is something healthy, and not some carb-loaded processed food crap. Sorry for the rant. TRIGGERED!!!!! 😵‍💫

That's just an average.

Or worse, early morning departure, afternoon meeting, evening departure that gets delayed until midnight because EWR doesn’t want a Dash-8 taking the slot of a 777

• Sad
Reactions: NickRU714
No it doesn't suck. Try American and get back to us. It's not what Continental was, but it's not terrible.
BS
I have flown United numerous times this year…. At least half of my 10 flights were delayed and none of them were due to the Weather. I guess you haven’t heard all the recent stories of United’s ongoing mechanical problems and various issues.

BS
I have flown United numerous times this year…. At least half of my 10 flights were delayed and none of them were due to the Weather. I guess you haven’t heard all the recent stories of United’s ongoing mechanical problems and various issues.
I have, but I have literally had ZERO issues with United. Flew to California and back 5 times last year, and back and forth to Phoenix 4 or 5 times as well. Just flew to Spain and back with no issues. Well, one minor issue, a 45 minute delay on the outbound flight, but we landed on time, so it was no issue.

Maybe certain routes have problems? IDK. And yes, I have heard about issues with Boeing planes that are affecting all carriers, not just United.

1.2 million on UA and 500K AA. A fair amount is due to international business travel.
Air travel these days is less fun. Smaller seats, less service, more crowded, and less personal touch.

Oh, I agree. I like the window seat, and my wife prefers the middle seat, so when we travel together, it's never a problem. I forget how I wound up next to that large firefighter. And he did apologize to me for hanging over on me before he knew I was a firefighter too. People here disagree with me, but the entire food system, including the airlines is part of the problem. When we fly United, I usually get at least two reminders to order my snacks before the flight, and then they come around and offer the most unhealthy snacks during the flight- pretzels, candy, etc. What are we, toddlers that need our snacks? I can make a 3-5 hour flight without food, thank you. And if I am going to eat, I will make sure it is something healthy, and not some carb-loaded processed food crap. Sorry for the rant. TRIGGERED!!!!! 😵‍💫
My wife like aisle seats because of the length of her legs- sucks, because Aisle seats are my favorite as well and she does not want me on the aisle across from her so I get stuck in the middle.
You are right about the food- I am watching people drop $15-20 on a small cheese tray or crappy sandwich and it amazes me they didn't just pack up some snacks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT