ADVERTISEMENT

OT: All Aboard - 2023 "Beat CSU" Tropical Prediction Contest

RU4Real

Legend
Jul 25, 2001
To be honest, I'm not altogether sure when we did this last. I have results from 2019, but can't seem to find anything more recent.

Nevertheless, @RU848789 put the bug in my ear and so I've built out this year's Tropical Prediction Contest.

As a refresher for the oldies and by way of introduction to the newbies, here's how it works:

• There are 3 categories, so your entry must contain 3 numbers. They are:
    • Named Storms
    • Hurricanes
    • Major Hurricanes (Cat3 and above)
  • For each storm, points are awarded as follows:
    • Named Storms: 3 points
    • Hurricanes: 5 points
    • Major Hurricanes: 7 points
  • The Colorado State official prediction has been normalized to 100 points by taking the official prediction of 15 / 7 / 3 and multiplying it by .95217 and rounded to 2 decimal places. This is known as "The Formula" and changes every year, as the multiplier changes to normalize each of CSU's predictions to 100.
  • At the end of the season, the *actual* numbers are injected into the formula to produce a result
  • The contestant closest to that final number is the winner
  • There are no tangible prizes. Your prize is immortality.

So, again - CSU's prediction for the season (June 1 to Nov 30) is 15 Named Storms, 7 Hurricanes and 3 Major hurricanes.

Have fun!

P.S. As mentioned in another thread, there has already been 1 named storm (1st day of the year) and another storm in January which was declared tropical, was not named but will be counted in the totals. Ergo, your "Named Storms" prediction should be at least 2.

Reactions: RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT