ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tropical Storm Ophelia? Possibly, but definitely lots of rain and wind for our area Sat/Sun

Stock photo for effect, no way I have ones that big. I have Kune Kune pigs they only get to about 225lbs and have a docile temperament. That looks like a Yorkshire in the picture it's probably 600-800 pounds. I couldn't even imagine how ranchers deal with them. But I do have 10 so they could still do a number on a human body. 😁
I would imagine ranchers avoid pissing off 800 pound pigs and ensure they are kept very well fed at all times. LOL

I'm not sure about that. But maybe.

Weren't there all kinds of massive animal life way down deep in the ocean depths back then? That have since died off and been replaced by new, smaller life? I am not well-versed on this stuff.

And, to be fair to us, it's only in the last century that man has seriously screwed with the ocean and atmosphere and whatever. I'm somewhat optimistic we'll figure out how to self-correct a bit w/respect to caring for our environment over the next 25-50 years.

Figuring out room temp ambient pressure superconductors would probably go a long way towards that.
The oceans were much lower.. 300-400 feet or more. Land bridges between places like Australia and New Guinea and Asia and Indonesia and Alaska and Siberia (which, they say, is how humans made it to North America.. and eventually Central and South America).

Last edited:
Stock photo for effect, no way I have ones that big. I have Kune Kune pigs they only get to about 225lbs and have a docile temperament. That looks like a Yorkshire in the picture it's probably 600-800 pounds. I couldn't even imagine how ranchers deal with them. But I do have 10 so they could still do a number on a human body. 😁

Hmmm....so you keep pigs. Good to know. Just in case.

Radar looks juicy back home with lots more rain to come. Reports of 50+ mph gusts on the DE coast and 45+ mph gusts on the NJ coast, although with Ophelia having just made landfall and expected to weaken fairly quickly, the worst winds should be over by early evening. Worst impact will likely be the moderate coastal flooding in many locations (likely not life threatening, but could see roads closed and some damage). Stay safe everyone!

I'm slowly watching all my work wash away down the hill into the wetlands. I have the lushest wetlands growing you'll find anywhere. Animals come from far and wide to forage in my wetlands. Thus is the life of a farmer, well technically we're ranchers.

Overall, the forecast for Ophelia and its remnants were quite good. Rainfall forecasts were pretty accurate, with widespread 1-3" amounts region-wide and 3-5" amounts for much of the NJ coast. Fortunately, it was over 2-3 days so urban/stream flooding was minimal. Coastal flooding was widespread at minor to moderate levels (and major for NC/VA/MD/DE), closing many shore roads and causing minor damage to some structures, while wind damage/power outages were scattered across NJ. As expected, kind of similar to a very strong nor'easter.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/vid...ophelia-bring-rain-coastal-flooding-103459272

HtDM7uO.png

Reactions: hbbsm713
How now, Ophelia?

Not really interested in the storm or the board weather politics.

Just been sitting on that line for a few decades.

I think what needs to happen is that everyone has to ignore him, especially numbers, because T is simply trolling for attention.
In case you hadn't noticed, I generally don't respond to his trolls very often, unless I don't care about the thread getting derailed, i.e., especially after a weather event when it doesn't really matter or once in awhile if I'm just feeling argumentative, which happens.

In case you hadn't noticed, I generally don't respond to his trolls very often, unless I don't care about the thread getting derailed, i.e., especially after a weather event when it doesn't really matter or once in awhile if I'm just feeling argumentative, which happens.
You, argumentative? Never! 😉

You're wrong! 😆

You, argumentative? Never! 😉

You're wrong! 😆
Is there a reason why you didn't apply the italics, bold and underlined font styles to the exclamation point after "wrong?" I think it looks much better as wrong! vs. wrong! Now that's arguing for sport.

Yeah, I've been surprised by how much rain fell after yesterday afternoon - fortunately, it didn't all fall at once...
Surprised the lower hudson valley didn’t see more flooding. NWS issued flood advisories last night but they were under a moderate to heavy band for an extended period

Is there a reason why you didn't apply the italics, bold and underlined font styles to the exclamation point after "wrong?" I think it looks much better as wrong! vs. wrong! Now that's arguing for sport.
I didn't want to risk someone saying, "dude, your exclamation point bends to the right".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT