ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Annual Razor Thread

_dave_

All Conference
Aug 16, 2004
South Lake Tahoe, CA
i don't think we've had our annual Dollar Shave Club vs Harry's vs name brand thread yet.

How have those shaves been over the past year?

I get Dorco 6 blade plus from Amazon Prime. My favorites in quite a while. Each cartridge holds up well for almost a month.

Last edited:
I want to get one of those Braun wet/dry electric shavers I can just take in the shower. I'm so tired of shaving and feel like that could reduce my morning routine by 5 minutes

I want to get one of those Braun wet/dry electric shavers I can just take in the shower. I'm so tired of shaving and feel like that could reduce my morning routine by 5 minutes

Reduce the morning routine time..but increase the hot water bill..

I rock facial hair year round and shear it off with a Wahl electric when I get sick of it. Then stubble transitions back to facial hair, repeat. PAID 40 bucks for that thing like 5 years ago and only time I had to buy razors was when overseas (found out that Wahl not wired for 220V).

Thank Oden I don't have a heavy beard. My Nordic extraction means a few quick scuff arounds with a Norelco and I'm done. Most girls have hairier legs than me - even if they aren't Italian and related to Joe Benigno lol

I am also liking the philips one blade. Bought it as a travel razor before vacation last year, and now I am using it everyday.

Got a Norelco One Blade for Xmas and haven't looked back. Granted, I don't have the heaviest beard, but it's totally replaced my daily shaving routine.

I get Dorco 6 blade plus from Amazon Prime. My favorites in quite a while. Each cartridge holds up well for almost a month.
These look like the Dollar Shave Club premium handles and cartridges - is that right? I use them too, via DSC, and thing they're the best I've ever had. It was easy to kick Mach 3 to the curb. My only complaint is that the handles tend to break after a few months, so I do replace the handle every so often. The Mach 3 handles used to last forever.

These look like the Dollar Shave Club premium handles and cartridges - is that right? I use them too, via DSC, and thing they're the best I've ever had. It was easy to kick Mach 3 to the curb. My only complaint is that the handles tend to break after a few months, so I do replace the handle every so often. The Mach 3 handles used to last forever.

Dorco is Dollar Shave Club's supplier. They're the exact same product. I order from www.dorcousa.com

I quit the dollar shave club after using them for about 3 years & went back to the Mach 3. I was tired of my face getting cut up the second or third time I used them, and the shaver breaking every couple months. Once I figured out the Mach 3 blades last a month or more, I'm not really spending much more money. Especially since I have a stack of about 7 or 8 unopened DSC mailers I really didn't need delivered

I quit the dollar shave club after using them for about 3 years & went back to the Mach 3. I was tired of my face getting cut up the second or third time I used them, and the shaver breaking every couple months. Once I figured out the Mach 3 blades last a month or more, I'm not really spending much more money. Especially since I have a stack of about 7 or 8 unopened DSC mailers I really didn't need delivered
Interesting. It is frustrating the way the handles tend to break, but I've found the cartridges to last longer than the Mach 3s, which were on fumes by the end of the week. I replace them every week anyway, but I can push the DSC cartridges longer if necessary.

I guess it doesn't matter now, but you know you can alter your delivery schedule with DSC, right? You can actually have them send you blades every other month if you prefer. Their customer service is very good. They've even sent me free handles when I've taken the time to complain about them breaking, though it's usually easier to just order another one.

Yeah, using Dorco. I ordered one of their combo packages with the various blades a year or 2 ago, and haven't even used them all yet. Think I paid around $30. They do a great job (even the 3 blade one) and with care last a long time. I make sure to use a small brush to clean out the blades so as not to let them get dulled by the soap & stubble. I was a bit miffed when the local Y fixed/adjusted one of the men's room faucets, as it had a perfect spray that got the stubble out of the razor without much work. Granted, I only have to shave once every 2 days, unless I have a special event, so I don't go through blades so quickly.

Now this guarantees a smooth shave!

0a0MFM-RazorBlades.jpg

Reactions: tico brown
I'm content using my Gillete Fusion. Little pricey, but a quality product. Each cartridge lasts a month.

I have a heavy beard and it grows in all directions. Every time I go to a barber for a shave I am told it's one of the worst beards they ever shaved.
It's impossible for me to get a really close shave, think don draper 5 o'clock shadow. Wife likes it . But I have tried everything. Now I stick with the Mach 3 or fusion and each blade lasts about a week before it starts nicking me.

Same here, the Mach 3 is the only thing that works for coarse hair. My barber always complains that my hair is like little strains of wire. I tell him that's my X-men genes coming out. In order to get a close shave I have to shave twice in different directions. One with the grain then against it. It's a pain in the ass, but I don't get cut up like I did with the DSC.

DSC for me - I shave like every 5 days if I need it or not LOL. I can use a new DSC blade each time.

How do the handles break on those DSC jobs? Is it the mounting hardware that breaks, or do they crack when you rap them on the edge of the sink?

How do the handles break on those DSC jobs? Is it the mounting hardware that breaks, or do they crack when you rap them on the edge of the sink?
Yeah, it's the plastic piece that pivots with the cartridge. Sometimes it becomes partially detached, and other times it loses its tension and begins flexing over too great a range. It's still usable, especially in the latter case, but it's not optimal any more.

To folks who have beards that grow in all directions, is it because of shaving against the grain? I have a pretty heavy beard but one of the best pieces of advice my dad ever gave me was to only shave downward with the grain (and gravity, of course) and set that as the expectation of a close shave (which it has been for me, starting in my teens and even now 25+ years later). So I never worry about a few days stubble looking too shabby because it all grows in the same direction and I can always trim/shave out a clean beard. I see many people with shaving burns and/or lots of red bumps all under their jaw and along the neck line (after a so-called clean shave, but alas, not so much), and usually that irritation is caused by shaving upward and it makes me think....amateurs, lol.

I see many people with shaving burns and/or lots of red bumps all under their jaw and along the neck line (after a so-called clean shave, but alas, not so much), and usually that irritation is caused by shaving upward and it makes me think....amateurs, lol.
I think that has more to do with skin type. I have very good skin but my hair is like wires and have to shave a 2nd time against the grain to get a close shave. Otherwise I look like I didn't shave. I never get a skin irritation or red bumps, just the occasional nick.

Reactions: wcfan10
To folks who have beards that grow in all directions, is it because of shaving against the grain?
I know shaving with the grain is the conventional best practice, and I understand why. But I have found over 30-plus years of shaving that I do best when I go against the grain. My beard is not too thick, so I think I'm able to do this without any ill effects, like bumps, irritation, or ingrown hairs, although this may also be why my blade is shot after five or six days.

I know some of you get 5 o' clock shadow at noon, and I imagine that's a different story.

To folks who have beards that grow in all directions, is it because of shaving against the grain? I have a pretty heavy beard but one of the best pieces of advice my dad ever gave me was to only shave downward with the grain (and gravity, of course) and set that as the expectation of a close shave (which it has been for me, starting in my teens and even now 25+ years later). So I never worry about a few days stubble looking too shabby because it all grows in the same direction and I can always trim/shave out a clean beard. I see many people with shaving burns and/or lots of red bumps all under their jaw and along the neck line (after a so-called clean shave, but alas, not so much), and usually that irritation is caused by shaving upward and it makes me think....amateurs, lol.

Each face and beard is different. I have tried pretty much every technique. What I find works best is getting a hot lather in the shower, and shaving in there. Once against the grain and once with. Edge shaving cream and the Mach 3 or fusion.

I'm content using my Gillete Fusion. Little pricey, but a quality product. Each cartridge lasts a month.
I think it's a lot pricey for a freaking blade, nice racket PG's got going. I still use it too though and keep each 2-3 weeks. I shave every day, not a big facial hair person myself. Usually get them at Costco.

Been a Gillette Fusion guy for quite a while, but recently I switched to Cremo shave cream, what a difference

I bought one last month and it's great. I've been using an electric for over 30 years and will never put another razor blade to my face. I still use the old one on mornings I go to the gym. For years while I was working I would always shave in my car on the way to work. Great time saver.

A tip for those who use blades. When first getting in the shower, wash your face thoroughly. Rinse with lots of hot water. By the time you are out of the shower (5-10 minutes), your stubble will have enough time to have softened. You can then shave with any cheap ass blade you want. Even dull blades will do the trick, though they will pull a bit. No shaving cream/gel required.

Disposable_razor_3016TL.jpg

3 blade blades from dollar shave club. $6 a month. Nice clean shave, sharp blades. I don't shave every day (even though I can grow a thick beard, my work dress code doesn't require it, so I give me face a break) so I have a stock pile, so much so that I toss it after two shaves.

Before that I actually liked the Bic twin the best. Came sharp, and they were nice an small so easy to get under the nose, around Adams Apple etc.

+1 for shaving after shower. I used to be a pre shower guy, but can't go back.

One of these days I'll just let it rip and grow a beard. One of these days.

I bought one last month and it's great. I've been using an electric for over 30 years and will never put another razor blade to my face. I still use the old one on mornings I go to the gym. For years while I was working I would always shave in my car on the way to work. Great time saver.

Nice. The Braun Series 9 looks amazing. My only concern is that I'm a daily shaver and how often I need to change the heads (which are expensive). I don't have very facial hair so that should help.

Does the shave with these electric razors get somewhat as close a Mach 3 type razor?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT