ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody still use a brush before shaving?

e5fdny

Legend
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2002
Having trouble finding the soap (Williams) I usually use for the mug.

Most places around me stopped carrying it.

Know I can get it online but was wondering if anybody still sees in the stores around them?

This post was edited on 3/6 10:53 AM by e5fdny

Try "The Art Of Shaving." May be a little expensive, but the best shaves I've ever given myself. You can get a starter kit from Amazon or buy individual pieces.

The Art

I typically use cheap Williams that I get from shoprite for a couple of dollars. It takes a bit more work to get a good lather, but once it gets going I really like it. I have some more expensive creams, but I like soap better. I also hear that the cheap VDH stuff from Walmart or chain pharmacies is pretty decent as well. Of course, finding a good old school barber would probably be best, and online wet-shaving forums could probably lead you to all the fancy soaps that blow the cheap stuff away.

I never use shaving cream. No need. Step out of the shower and get right to shaving. I have fast growing thick facial hair and shaving cream does nothing for me.
As for razors I have been thinking about going back to the single blade like when I started shaving. They are making somewhat of a comeback

Yes on the brush. Started using it a few years ago and can't go back. Saves the mess.

Originally posted by kennyschiano:
i gave up on the brush - too time consuming - but people love proraso. lots of varieties on amazon
+1 on Proraso. That stuff is the truth.

Originally posted by theacks1:
I typically use cheap Williams that I get from Shoprite for a couple of dollars. It takes a bit more work to get a good lather, but once it gets going I really like it. I have some more expensive creams, but I like soap better. I also hear that the cheap VDH stuff from Walmart or chain pharmacies is pretty decent as well. Of course, finding a good old school barber would probably be best, and online wet-shaving forums could probably lead you to all the fancy soaps that blow the cheap stuff away.

Thanks. Couldn't remember the name of it.

Nothing in the pharmacy and supermarket chains by me anymore. They used to carry it but not now. After some research online here it does seem it is being phased out in a lot of retailers.

Will check out Walmart and Pat the barber (Belmar).

This post was edited on 3/5 10:41 PM by e5fdny

When picking a brush, the high end and the best are the Silvertip badger hair brush. The brand is a matter of choice.

Just pick what you can afford.

Has anybody used Van der Hagen shave soap? It's available at my grocery store and Walgreens, but I have been hesitant to switch from the brands I've been using for 20+ years.

I buy Williams online. Always liked Colgate better, but they stopped making it a few years back. Used to pick up colgate when I traveled to NJ.

Just went to Amazon and looked for you. A ton of shaving soaps.
happy.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/6 10:06 AM by beaced

I use "Castle & Forbes" - which is more like a paste, that you use with a wet brush. It is the best thing I've ever used on my face. It costs a pretty penny but a little dab will do ya'. It lasts forever.

Check out O'Douds Shave Cream. Can use a brush or not.

http://odoudsallnatural.com/collections/beard-mustache/products/black-pine-shave-cream

This guy makes some amazing products. Also check out Shear Revival, based out of Ocean Grove. He makes a great shave oil.

http://www.shearrevival.bigcartel.com/product/archers-shave-oil

Originally posted by BigBlockR:
Has anybody used Van der Hagen shave soap? It's available at my grocery store and Walgreens, but I have been hesitant to switch from the brands I've been using for 20+ years.

I buy Williams online. Always liked Colgate better, but they stopped making it a few years back. Used to pick up colgate when I traveled to NJ.

I use Van Der hagen. Pretty good IMO.

I like the scented one.

Currently using VDH. It' ok, but I like Williams much better. GOIng to order some Poraso and give it a try once this VDH bar is used up.

Originally posted by D-Wing:
Currently using VDH. It' ok, but I like Williams much better. GOIng to order some Poraso and give it a try once this VDH bar is used up.
I love Proraso, original scent. Bath and Body Works sells this stuff from C.O. Bigelow, which is made by Proraso and virtually the same formula. With their coupons and frequent sales, you can usually save bundle by buying 3 at a time at the brick and mortar

I got into double edge blade shaving and whipping lather up with brushes about 5 years ago -- Proraso was one of my first creams -- still one of my favorites. Brush is optional.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2257431&cp=4090259.4090258.4090292.4431697.4191892

I shave in the shower and will use anything, sometimes even shampoo or soap if the shaving cream runs out, lol. Much smoother shave when the skin is warm and moist...

Originally posted by RU848789:
I shave in the shower and will use anything, sometimes even shampoo or soap if the shaving cream runs out, lol. Much smoother shave when the skin is warm and moist...
Two worst things to use, if you MUST sub, always use hair conditioner which actually works great to shave with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT