ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Anyone getting more cash in paycheck?

I have a serious question. I freely admit to having almost no grasp at all of our current tax code. Every February I bring all my financial papers to a guy in Keyport who magically gets me a big refund.
My question is this...it feels like every election, we hear promises to "simplify the tax code." Why are we not actually doing this? Being seriois, who is against this? Is it the rich that use the current code to their benefit, and pretty much control Congress? Or is there another argument against it? Isn't a simple straight consumption tax really the most fair?

I would encourage you to spend a year or two in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and see for yourself how good the overall education system and social service are in those states. That will be your answer. These states have low taxes and balance their budget by proving minimal services for their constituents. That is not who we are as a society.
BS. they just do things at a lower cost but they certainly do provide quite a bit in terms of Social Services. Let me ask you something have you lived extensively in either of those States? I actually have lived in several Southern States and the service is down there are everywhere is good and effective as we have here. There's also a different mentality down there where as people generally tend to try and take care of themselves and not rely on Big Brother unless of course you are in the north with the number of services received in many Southern States as a percentage of the population

BS. they just do things at a lower cost but they certainly do provide quite a bit in terms of Social Services. Let me ask you something have you lived extensively in either of those States? I actually have lived in several Southern States and the service is down there are everywhere is good and effective as we have here. There's also a different mentality down there where as people generally tend to try and take care of themselves and not rely on Big Brother unless of course you are in the north with the number of services received in many Southern States as a percentage of the population
If that was true why are Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia and Kentucky all in the top ten states with the highest percentage of food stamp recipients? North Carolina and South Carolina are not far behind in #12 and #13.

im a bit confused...I am not going to look it up but maybe each of those states should be suing the rest of the country for slander...hahaha pretty sure most of those states mentioned typically fall into bottom of the barrel on almost any study I have seen for poverty level, government support and lowest education levels...

Yes. I have lived those areas and have participated in programs like Teach for America. The social programs like CPS are atrocious.

If that was true why are Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia and Kentucky all in the top ten states with the highest percentage of food stamp recipients? North Carolina and South Carolina are not far behind in #12 and #13.

Food stamps are national programs not state. Your original point is invalid. However, you do bring up a good point. There are a greater amount of poorer people in southern states compared to north and in my opinion it starts with education.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT