ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone watch the great hack on Netflix?

Yes fascinating, but I felt it was overstating the impact. But worth the watch, one of those shows I can't stop thinking about or talking about.

Yes fascinating, but I felt it was overstating the impact. But worth the watch, one of those shows I can't stop thinking about or talking about.
Hard to say they overstated. You could easily see these targeted messages having an impact. Advertisers do the same thing for a reason.

Just pulled it up the other night and gave it a go. Gives you something to think about at least. Who knows how nefarious some tech companies will be with your personal info.

Just pulled it up the other night and gave it a go. Gives you something to think about at least. Who knows how nefarious some tech companies will be with your personal info.

Less concerned about tech companies than Domestic and foreign governments using it to spread misinformation and propaganda. The most shocking was how they determined which people were “persuadable” and targeted them.

Interesting
Overly dramatic
Not surprising
Will continue

I’m of the opinion if the supposed election tampering had aided the old bag instead of the old ahole, the focus would have been different

Why people are surprised in 2019 that this stuff happens makes me think people are more oblivious than one might imagine!

Trump haters and supporters; if two right movements had not happened (brexit and the 2016 gen el) would this be a thing? I’ll answer no.

If trump loses in 2020; “we fixed it”
If trump wins in 2020; “it is still going on”

Hard to say they overstated. You could easily see these targeted messages having an impact. Advertisers do the same thing for a reason.

Agreed advertising everywhere is targeted and done for a reason. IMO the film makers were not so softly implying that CA was the reason that Trump and Brexit won. That was overly dramatic. Both the Trump and HC campaigns were spending targeted money in swing States. This is just one way how the Trump campaign choose to spend. The are film makers are implying that this is the smoking bullet for how in the gawd damn world Trump won. I am no Trump supporter. But you have to see this for what it is.

Reactions: RutgHoops
If these same tactics help Hillary win instead of Trump the documentary would never have been made

why not? I think it would be. I think you are overestimating Hillary’s popularity
Felt the result of the election is what motivated the writers more so than data rights... subsequently read a review from Variety and they said pretty much the same thing ... this is not to minimize data rights concerns, i think they are real

Reactions: ashokan
It was interesting to watch a doc involving a lot of clever people. No surprise to me about the data mining situation. Somewhere along the way Brittany Kaiser (who went to Edinburgh - a fav uni of mine) was set-up as some epic whistle blower and I didn't get it . The doc was really trying to manipulate while decrying manipulation. The political POV was typical of Netflix (where Obama's have a production deal)

It was interesting to watch a doc involving a lot of clever people. No surprise to me about the data mining situation. Somewhere along the way Brittany Kaiser (who went to Edinburgh - a fav uni of mine) was set-up as some epic whistle blower and I didn't get it . The doc was really trying to manipulate while decrying manipulation. The political POV was typical of Netflix (where Obama's have a production deal)
Classic, almost like you write for fox or breitbart. Linking Obama and a production deal with Netflix as some indication of bias when their deal has nothing to do with the directors of the doc and it’s airing by Netflix. Versus Steve Bannons and Robert Mercer founding Cambridge analytica. What a joke.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Classic, almost like you write for fox or breitbart. Linking Obama and a production deal with Netflix as some indication of bias when their deal has nothing to do with the directors of the doc and it’s airing by Netflix. Versus Steve Bannons and Robert Mercer founding Cambridge analytica. What a joke.

You're naive - or you don't know Netflix very well. Susan Rice is there now too. Maybe Comey and Brennan can get a gig soon. No surprise their subs are peeling off

zvcBw0D.jpg

https://variety.com/2018/digital/ne...-approval-perception-decline-data-1202828735/

You're naive - or you don't know Netflix very well. Susan Rice is there now too. Maybe Comey and Brennan can get a gig soon. No surprise their subs are peeling off

zvcBw0D.jpg

https://variety.com/2018/digital/ne...-approval-perception-decline-data-1202828735/
No you are biased and easily manipulated. She is one of 10 directors on the board of Netflix. What does she have to do with the day to day of what airs on Netflix? Nothing.

What does the obamas film deal with Netflix have to do with airing of the doc? Answer the question.

On the other hand, the founders and capital providers of Cambridge analytica were Steven bannon and Bob Mercer. They controlled what the firm did.

Do you see the difference?

It’s not that complicated. One member of a mega cap company board focused on governance versus founders and officers of another. If your having trouble with this one, there isn’t much hope for you.

Eh. I watched this while dealing with a multi-hour flight delay that was ultimately cancelled. Definitely seems a bit overstated, not sure what is so surprising about it either. What's the difference between a billboard strategically placed in an area vs a targeted post?

Clearly not as horrific as what United did to Continental. Bastards.

I haven’t had the chance to watch the documentary, but I did recently listen to the Michael Lewis podcast (Against The Rules) where the episode dealt with Alexander Kogan. I wonder how he is dealt with in the documentary (if at all).

(first.. move this to the CE board and take the tick warning thread from teh CE board and move it here.. powassan is a tick borne virus that can paralyze and kill people,, is in the northeast including NJ).

I cannot wait for "The Great Media Leak Strategy" of the FBI and DOJ.

Or maybe they will do "The Great Witchhunt" documenting all this nonsense.

Sad thing is if they make those they will use them to whitewash what the Dems did.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT