ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Beach Erosion

fg7321

All Conference
Nov 29, 2009
Lots of stories about beach erosion before this summer season.

Beach in Salisbury Mass

Now Atlantic City North beaches

I also have relative on LI that now has a 12 foot drop onto his beach.

Seems like sea level rise is accelerating.

• Haha
Reactions: Bagarocks
Yet, vulnerable beaches are restored again and again with federal tax payor monies which disproportionately benefit wealthy owners of shore property lots. Sand dredging restoration also adversely impacts the environment killing wildlife scooped up in the sand which in turn hurts birds and fish that feed on this wildlife.

NJ shoreline has been retreating for 1000s of years - geologic vulnerabilities compared to rest of NE.

"The New Jersey Atlantic Ocean coastline is roughly 130 miles in length and can be classified into three different shoreline types depending on the purpose of the classification scheme (Figure 1). The New Jersey upland along the coast is composed of gravel, sand and silt deposits whose geological origins are derived from both marine and non-marine sedimentary episodes. None of the sediments exposed at the surface in Monmouth, Ocean, Atlantic or Cape May Counties are cemented to form bedrock like that found along the New England coast. Since the geologic layers are not lithified, they erode easily under marine processes like wave action or tidal currents. These sediments are the source of all modern New Jersey beaches by erosion or by the reworking of other deposits formed from these older sediments prior to the present sea level rise.

The rise in global sea level has been transpiring for the past 20,000 years at a variable rate, following the melting of the last great ice sheet covering northern North America. The local change has been in the range of 350 feet to 400 feet vertically, which has produced a long-term westward migration of the shoreline. The "New Jersey" shoreline lay at the edge of the continental shelf 20,000 years ago, 80 to 90 miles to the east of the present coast. As the ice sheets melted and retreated into Canada, the ocean marched across the relatively flat continental shelf constantly changing the position and configuration of the New Jersey shoreline. A review of property records from the 17th Century in Monmouth County has demonstrated up to 2,000 feet of shoreline retreat since about 1650."

Ortley Beach (Toms River ) is real bad right now and they have had to make emergency repairs last couple years just to open most beaches...It's just a real bad spot on Ocean County shoreline. Their neighbors to the North (Lavallette) and South (Seaside Heights) haven't had anywhere near the issues Ortley has had.

Last edited:
NJ shoreline has been retreating for 1000s of years - geologic vulnerabilities compared to rest of NE.

"The New Jersey Atlantic Ocean coastline is roughly 130 miles in length and can be classified into three different shoreline types depending on the purpose of the classification scheme (Figure 1). The New Jersey upland along the coast is composed of gravel, sand and silt deposits whose geological origins are derived from both marine and non-marine sedimentary episodes. None of the sediments exposed at the surface in Monmouth, Ocean, Atlantic or Cape May Counties are cemented to form bedrock like that found along the New England coast. Since the geologic layers are not lithified, they erode easily under marine processes like wave action or tidal currents. These sediments are the source of all modern New Jersey beaches by erosion or by the reworking of other deposits formed from these older sediments prior to the present sea level rise.

The rise in global sea level has been transpiring for the past 20,000 years at a variable rate, following the melting of the last great ice sheet covering northern North America. The local change has been in the range of 350 feet to 400 feet vertically, which has produced a long-term westward migration of the shoreline. The "New Jersey" shoreline lay at the edge of the continental shelf 20,000 years ago, 80 to 90 miles to the east of the present coast. As the ice sheets melted and retreated into Canada, the ocean marched across the relatively flat continental shelf constantly changing the position and configuration of the New Jersey shoreline. A review of property records from the 17th Century in Monmouth County has demonstrated up to 2,000 feet of shoreline retreat since about 1650."

shhhhh, the hubris of man is funny to watch

Last edited:
Build on a flood plain or build on the coastline eventually Mother Nature will take back what's hers. I learned this way back in 1988 Environmental Science classes before everything started to be blamed on climate change or anyone cared about the environment. The more damage done by storms is because we're building more and more into areas we shouldn't be.

we should dump cars or other type structures 500-1k yards off the coast to creat a reef and help with erosion. would benefit us in so many ways

we should dump cars or other type structures 500-1k yards off the coast to creat a reef and help with erosion. would benefit us in so many ways
Bradley Beach has done that by burying Christmas trees in their dunes. They give something extra for the sea grass to grab on to.

The town has done pretty well pre, post and even during Sandy.

Bradley Beach has done that by burying Christmas trees in their dunes. They give something extra for the sea grass to grab on to.

The town has done pretty well pre, post and even during Sandy.
Bradley built a dune. The idea to drop a barrier into the ocean has been looked at not sure why no one has attempted it

I would think that the goal should be to maintain levels of beach replenishment while taking some of the burden off of the taxpayer. It sounds like we need more funding from the feds, so we can benefit from local tax dollars created and pushing some of the burden around. It's bad enough that we're taken advantage of on a federal level when it comes to taxes sent out and brought in.

And yes, they need to figure out longterm solutions to the problem, but in the meantime it still need to be done.

Bradley built a dune. The idea to drop a barrier into the ocean has been looked at not sure why no one has attempted it
it's been done but environmentalists have effectively killed it. The studies on this are clear, it's a huge positive for life, erosion, lessens storm impacts and more. I get it with the environmentalists but it shouldn't be crazy to strip cars or the like from junkyards/trash keeps and dump them along the coast.

it's been done but environmentalists have effectively killed it. The studies on this are clear, it's a huge positive for life, erosion, lessens storm impacts and more. I get it with the environmentalists but it shouldn't be crazy to strip cars or the like from junkyards/trash keeps and dump them along the coast.
They have dropped subway cars to create reefs . could be a good idea in the more vulnerable places

They have dropped subway cars to create reefs . could be a good idea in the more vulnerable places
yup

I'm 100% down with dropping it all as this such a good thing for the environment. The problem with cars and subway cars is cost to strip it for environmental concerns.

Those subway cars have rusted much quicker than expected and aren't going to be much of a reef in the near future.

Those subway cars have rusted much quicker than expected and aren't going to be much of a reef in the near future.

Haven't heard that. Do you remember where you heard it? I would like to read about that.

It shouldn't take long for them to be covered in mussels, etc. so you would think they would still be effective.

Haven't heard that. Do you remember where you heard it? I would like to read about that.

It shouldn't take long for them to be covered in mussels, etc. so you would think they would still be effective.
Weird, I'm trying to find better sources (I'm not making it up) but it seems there was a discrepancy based upon what model car was used and how fast it disintegrated. Also a lot of the articles from older versions of the program rolled off due to age, and newer articles reported the cars were reefed, but no follow ups. I guess it is another "however you want to understand the facts is your truth". I'm stumped. As a fisherman I thought this was a great idea.

Weird, I'm trying to find better sources (I'm not making it up) but it seems there was a discrepancy based upon what model car was used and how fast it disintegrated. Also a lot of the articles from older versions of the program rolled off due to age, and newer articles reported the cars were reefed, but no follow ups. I guess it is another "however you want to understand the facts is your truth". I'm stumped. As a fisherman I thought this was a great idea.

I don't think you're making it up.

I did some searching too, but couldn't find anything concrete on it. The one article you posted the writer gets beat up in the comments so bad it's hard to believe what he is saying. There is a ton of videos are subway cars covered in life and acting as a reef so I still think it worked in most cases.

I wonder if some of the newer/lighter metal cars got pushed by the currents?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT