ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bell Labs moving to New Brunswick

RUHotTrumpetMonkeyLove

All Conference
Aug 7, 2001

Having worked at the Murray Hill property for over a decade , this was bittersweet to read. There's a ton of history in that property. I've even played my trumpet in the anechoic chamber.

That being said, I hope this is a tremendous opportunity to collaborate with Rutgers. Having the modern day version of Bell Labs down the street could hopefully result in some great opportunities for students. Nice win for New Brunswick.

Wow. Having seen the MH location getting reduced over the years, it's a rather sad, but interesting the move to NB. I wonder how much 'ownership' Nokia will have in the structure.

Wow. Having seen the MH location getting reduced over the years, it's a rather sad, but interesting the move to NB. I wonder how much 'ownership' Nokia will have in the structure.
I read that they are leasing the space.

Having worked at the Murray Hill property for over a decade , this was bittersweet to read. There's a ton of history in that property. I've even played my trumpet in the anechoic chamber.

That being said, I hope this is a tremendous opportunity to collaborate with Rutgers. Having the modern day version of Bell Labs down the street could hopefully result in some great opportunities for students. Nice win for New Brunswick.
Is there anything left of Bell Labs in Middletown/Red Bank/Holmdel, or all gone?

This is an incredible boost to Rutgers and New Brunswick. Many universities are creating innovation hubs near their campuses, and this is the grandaddy of them all.

Does Nokia have any space at Bellworks, or is their Murray Hill location in a different building?

Scarlet Jerry
Bell Works is the old Holmdel facility. Was wondering how MH will be repurposed.

Is there anything left of Bell Labs in Middletown/Red Bank/Holmdel, or all gone?
It's converted space. Food and other stuff.

Yes, I know about that, and my question was not clear.

Are there any hubs of employees working for "Bell Labs" in Monmouth County?

I consulted very little at Murray Hill and longer in Whippany. Holmdel.. man, that facility was awesome... still is with whatever it is now.

Yeah.. the history always struck me. The research.. the fossils who did it you saw walking around. How interesting the people were. Are there any places like that anymore? I used to think Apple and Google must be like that.. but they seem so political.

The benefits of a monopoly, I guess. No demanding profit motive, at least in some cases.. pure research.

Big win for Rutgers if this Bell Labs is anything like the old one.

It appeared in Apple TV's Severance.. a very interesting show. Perfectly fit the mood of the show... dark, though it was. Hmm.. been awhile.. the writers strike interfered with filming season 2.. we'll probably see it sometime in 2024. Mood seems better suited to winter.. maybe they can start it up in February?

Interesting. Bell labs hasn't really existed for long time despite what Nokia/Alcatel/Lucent might have wanted you to believe. Maybe they can start over in NB but times have changed from the Bell labs when research was the priority. Someone should grab the transistor if it's still housed at MH and find a spot for it at RU.

I went to Bellworks this summer. It’s a cool mixed use space, and they do honor the history (Nobel prize winners) and discoveries at that site.

Between the train station renovations and the innovation center, that part of New Brunswick is getting a major facelift.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
The Murray Hill facility would make a great setting for a School of Engineering and Science, or a small college campus.
Would love to see one of the NJ engineering schools (Stevens Tech, NJIT, Rutgers Engineering) get involved with the facility.

Something similar happened in the Clifton area.

Roche abandoned their campus a decade ago, and as part of the redevelopment, Seton Hall became an anchor tenant with a new medical school.

Reactions: 17Q66 and RUnTeX

The Murray Hill facility would make a great setting for a School of Engineering and Science, or a small college campus.
Would love to see one of the NJ engineering schools (Stevens Tech, NJIT, Rutgers Engineering) get involved with the facility.

I'm local to the area and that is the hope for the outcome of the location among residents.

Just a little interesting info related to Bell Labs in Murray Hill… back in July 1986 a major multi-year renovation of the Statue of Liberty was completed. The patina of the copper was obviously green, so in order to make repairs to the statue’s skin and avoid using new bright copper, AT&T donated aged copper from the massive copper roof of the Murray Hill Bell Labs Building for the repairs.

Seriously. New Brunswick would love to have traffic problems. And I bet the restaurants would too!
All you need is lots of cheap parking.. drivers can get out of traffic ASAP because parking prices are good everywhere. That could solve such problems. If you build it, they will park.

Reactions: BLewis1968

Wasn’t that where they discovered the ‘background radiation’ from the Big Bang? At first thought it was pigeon sh!t on the antenna

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
nope, never did Red Hill. Was the ATT labs one in Holmdel, the campus one, when driving down from the BEdminster NOC building, another one being abandoned.
Was Bedminster originally Beneficial Finance HQ? That was a hella-nice facility. So much CHANGE!

My Dad who is now deceased worked there in the 70s and eventually retired from Lucent after 30 years with the company

Reactions: bethlehemfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT