ADVERTISEMENT

OT - BIG Hockey

That what Rutgers would need at the very least. They could play games at the Prudential Center but it would be a detrimental to recruiting.
Would it? To play in an NHL rink?

I wasn't even considering the Roc just because of the logistics with the Devils and all the other stuff they have there. Thinking more underutilized Sun Bank or the vacant Brendan Bryne (and yes I still call it that - lol). But if that could be worked out and they could get an arrangement like the future one the Coyotes plan to have with the Arizona State program you think about it while you plan some kind of an on campus set up.

Yes because it off campus which always hurts student attendance. The biggest down side is the sterile environment having 10,000 empty seats. Would you rather have Rutgers play MetLife or at High Point? Same applies in college hockey. Wich would be more impressive seeing a packed 6,000 seat arena or 6,000 in a 16,000 seat arena?

I wasn't even considering the Roc just because of the logistics with the Devils and all the other stuff they have there. Thinking more underutilized Sun Bank or the vacant Brendan Bryne (and yes I still call it that - lol). But if that could be worked out and they could get an arrangement like the future one the Coyotes plan to have with the Arizona State program you think about it while you plan some kind of an on campus set up.

When your peers have NHL-quality facilities a short stroll from players' dorms, and you have to bus players 35 minutes for practice at another team's building, yes, that would be a detriment to recruiting. And that says nothing of student attendance, etc.

Yes because it off campus which always hurts student attendance. The biggest down side is the sterile environment having 10,000 empty seats. Would you rather have Rutgers play MetLife or at High Point? Same applies in college hockey. Wich would be more impressive seeing a packed 6,000 seat arena or 6,000 in a 16,000 seat arena?

When your peers have NHL-quality facilities a short stroll from players' dorms/apartments, and you have to bus players 35 minutes for practice at another team's building, yes, that would be a detriment to recruiting. And that says nothing of student attendance, etc.
Agree with both of you if the this was permanent solution.

Agree with both of you if the this was permanent solution.
I am more of a wait until you can do it right then scrape and get by. It one thing if it under construction but I would not want to start a program until your ready. I think if you start one before you are ready you can develop a reputation on being a losing program.

Reactions: PaKnight
I am more of a wait until you can do it right then scrape and get by. It one thing if it under construction but I would not want to start a program until your ready. I think if you start one before you are ready you can develop a reputation on being a losing program.

This. The money, and preferably shovels in the ground, should come first.

Yup, you could build an arena that is smaller than Pegula (6,014 seats) and doesn't have the same bells and whistles for less. FWIW, I believe $89 million of the Pegulas' donation was for the facility and $13 million was for endowed scholarships.

This is correct. Keep in mind also that the Pegulas also kicked in I believe another $10 million after the initial $102 m. And so the program is fully endowed.

But honestly, whether RU needs $50 million or $100 million, right now, we don't have it, and if we did, it would not be the first priority. That's why until RU is a fully vested member of the B1G PLUS gets a HUGE gift, this is a pipedream. I'd love for it to happen but it's a long ways off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT