ADVERTISEMENT

OT: California Wildfires

BHSPCRU

Junior
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2007
Truly a tragedy....I was watching The Today Show and there was a segment showing a guy wearing The Block R Rutgers shorts moving out all of his belongings.... Sending prayers out to this individual and everyone affected by this disaster.

Didn’t the late (and great) poster, CalRU66 lose his house to a fire?

Last edited:
Reactions: Caliknight
I thought 2018 was the worst possible year for forest fires in the west, but 2020 has been even worse. I live well away from any danger zone, but the smoke and ash have been awful. I was grousing about the fine ash fall in my neighborhood until I saw these pictures from Santa Rosa - yikes! There would be a lot of embers in there that could land on a roof and take a house up in flames in moments.

California is an unfortunate combination of bad factors that add up to this new norm for them.

Overpopulation
Climate change
A Mediterranean climate that, by definition, is always summer dry (late Oct to Mar rains)
Living in areas of the state that dry up annually.

Unless it is an El Niño year then they swing the other way.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
California is an unfortunate combination of bad factors that add up to this new norm for them.

Overpopulation
Climate change
A Mediterranean climate that, by definition, is always summer dry (late Oct to Mar rains)

Heard an interview recently with some forestry service guys. Sounded like a major factor is that they are also much better at stopping fires now, so less fires leads to more fuel for future fires. If they burned like they naturally would over the years there would be significantly less fuel.

Overpopulation
Climate change

We also stopped deforestation 4 years ago. Really bad move. Like king of stupid moves.

As @GoodOl'Rutgers stated, I think Rolf experienced a few close calls and had to evacuate up in Big Bear Lake country where he lived but don't recall ever hearing he lost his home to wildfires.
I do remember thinking, after Rolf's passing, about really bad fire reports up there and wondered if his old place made it. His stories of his huskies freely roaming the mountain, knowing the neighbors all around.. sounded just perfect. happy dogs, happy people.

Reactions: RUnTeX
As President Trump stated during the debate, California needs to rake the floors and this will all go away. The President also previously warned about exploding trees, so maybe get rid of those too.

They have earthquake standards to build to in many places.
I believe there's a seismic building code that covers the entire state, though some places within CA may have even more stringent design criteria.

Maybe California needs a lot of places to have fire-"proof" building standards.

Probably way too expensive depending on the building type but may be something that gets regulated in the future as resiliency standards are eventually expanded and implemented. This may include flood-related standards for when rivers, bays, and oceans overtop their banks/shores and cause widespread flooding damage to structures. Of course, typical fire and life safety codes are applicable for fires that occur internally/within a structure as opposed to fires impacting structures from external/natural sources.

Reactions: shields
At least he could answer a question .
As the quickly closed thread showed... before it was closed.. neither side "won" that thing they called a debate. Neither side should be going political in threads to bring that up or to debate the debate.

It is a shame moschiano had to "go there".

Reactions: goru1869
As President Trump stated during the debate, California needs to rake the floors and this will all go away. The President also previously warned about exploding trees, so maybe get rid of those too.

Obviously deforestation is a huge piece of lowering the impact of wildfires. Anyone who doesn't understand this is a moron. Why Ca. cut this was criminal. But as we have seen here, if there is a wrong to make, they are making it. The last Riverside fire was started by a gender reveal. It has nothing to do with "climate change". It has everything to do with people being idiots.

Wait till the next state audit is made public here. It's U G L Y.

Obviously deforestation is a huge piece of lowering the impact of wildfires. Anyone who doesn't understand this is a moron. Why Ca. cut this was criminal. But as we have seen here, if there is a wrong to make, they are making it. The last Riverside fire was started by a gender reveal. It has nothing to do with "climate change". It has everything to do with people being idiots.

Wait till the next state audit is made public here. It's U G L Y.
The problem isn't just California's. More than half(57%) of the forests in the state are controlled by the federal gov through the US Forest Service. CA has spent more money(and treated/managed more acres) than the USFS. Good news is the State and Fed gov recently agree to increase their combined investment significantly. Still a drop in the bucket compared to what is needed, but at least a step in the right direction.

Heard an interview recently with some forestry service guys. Sounded like a major factor is that they are also much better at stopping fires now, so less fires leads to more fuel for future fires. If they burned like they naturally would over the years there would be significantly less fuel.
And fewer homes and communities.....

Reactions: Knight Shift
I thought 2018 was the worst possible year for forest fires in the west, but 2020 has been even worse. I live well away from any danger zone, but the smoke and ash have been awful. I was grousing about the fine ash fall in my neighborhood until I saw these pictures from Santa Rosa - yikes! There would be a lot of embers in there that could land on a roof and take a house up in flames in moments.

From the Tweet you posted: "A lot of ash, some of it scary large."

RU fans are well familiar with scary large ash and the consequential damage it causes.

HPJKGNBAOZCPJMCORXSYCC3GJE.jpg

Ash damage can be mitigated, however, if RU keeps chopping.
tenor.gif

Overpopulation
Climate change

You might know this already but one of if not the most important member of an All-Hazards Incident Management Team (the people who take care of these wild land fires) is the meteorologist.

Reactions: RUforester72
We also stopped deforestation 4 years ago. Really bad move. Like king of stupid moves.

Isn’t deforestation a key factor in forest management to avoid large scale fires of this type? With all of the financial and environmental assets at risk in the Napa and other areas are there better preventive maintenance options to help avoid the current situation?

Sadly are number of these wildfires were started by arsonists, antifa and climate control nuts. A number of arrests have been made already. One guy they caught starting a fire then he got released then later that day I believe he was arrested again. Very unfortunate for these people, hopefully they get some rain. But yeah lets blame Trump

As the quickly closed thread showed... before it was closed.. neither side "won" that thing they called a debate. Neither side should be going political in threads to bring that up or to debate the debate.

It is a shame moschiano had to "go there".
They both suck balls and I may only vote for congress , county freeholder and town candidates. Neither of these clowns deserve the support of the people of this great country !

Sadly are number of these wildfires were started by arsonists, antifa and climate control nuts. A number of arrests have been made already. One guy they caught starting a fire then he got released then later that day I believe he was arrested again. Very unfortunate for these people, hopefully they get some rain. But yeah lets blame Trump
So many lies in one post. Sad that you have been radicalized.

Can you address who is responsible for controlled burns and fuel management in California? Is it the USFS or the State, or a combination? Is there a breakdown of % if both?
Some of the forrest is state owned, a lot is private owned, the most is Federal owned, and the feds are responsible for fed land.

Reactions: Kbee3
That is scary-looking... end-of-the-world scary.

They have earthquake standards to build to in many places.

Florida has hurricane standards.

Maybe California needs a lot of places to have fire-"proof" building standards.

For buildings that get flooded, I'm fine with the government bailing out the owner - with the proviso they cannot rebuild in flood prone areas. I'd do the same with fire prone areas. Unfortunately, we often see homeowners rebuilding in these vulnerable spots all the time.

Owners can (and should) build defensible spaces. That means clearing trees and brush around homes in fire zones.

"

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers

That is part of the problem. Officials actively discouraged fires for decades; we've learned that was a big strategic mistake. Another note on this is that all of the Western forests were mostly logged in the latter 1800s. Well-intentioned conservationists then replanted the forests - at much greater densities that previously existed. This has results in a lot of "sick" forests throughout the west. Combined with global climate change, the situation is ... bleak. The good news is the forests heal quickly. Its always amazing to see how quickly (within a few years) how green the hillsides become during the winter (rainy season) after suffering through terrible fires.

One side note: Nothing burns like a eucalyptus tree (non-native from Australia). They literally explode with flames.

This is bullshit propaganda. Even Joe Rogan apologized for spreading that BS.

Reactions: Kbee3 and Greg2020
It's a map of the fires and people that were arrested for arson. There is nothing to call BS on.

Some people have directly said the Oregon fires were started by Antifa nuts to hurt Trump voters. It's a terrible argument made by terrible people. Don't be that guy. I can't begin to get in the head or arsonists, but do know that Trumpsters like to raise the false flag theory on so many other issues. In any case, the Antifa-forest fire link is just propaganda.

Some people have directly said the Oregon fires were started by Antifa nuts to hurt Trump voters. It's a terrible argument made by terrible people. Don't be that guy. I can't begin to get in the head or arsonists, but do know that Trumpsters like to raise the false flag theory on so many other issues. In any case, the Antifa-forest fire link is just propaganda.

I'll be the guy with the facts. You can stick to the Dem talking points.

Some folks here are part of the propaganda problem, so there's nothing I can write here to convince those who have alternative "facts". However, the antifa-Oregon fires crap has been widely debunked - even by the FBI.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT