ADVERTISEMENT

OT: California Wildfires

Some folks here are part of the propaganda problem, so there's nothing I can write here to convince those who have alternative "facts". However, the antifa-Oregon fires crap has been widely debunked - even by the FBI.

Yea, the FBI is in good standing with people at this point. :flush:

This thread is a perfect example of what is wrong with having any kind of a rational discussion about anything in this country today. A topic that should be apolitical turns political.

Fires start under hot, dry and windy conditions. Indisputable fact.

It has been a hot, dry and windy summer in the Pacific Northwest and California. Indisputable fact.

Climate change has played a role in weather pattern and hotter summers. Indisputable fact.

Filtering out the wackjob websites like CNN, The Atlantic, NYT, FoxNews, ZeroHedge, Breitbart, etc., a quick search of "Arrests Oregon Forest Fires" and "Arrests California Wild Fires" reveals there have been several arrests, but could not find one tied to radical groups on either side.

The BBC article linked above is noteworthy and factual. I asked @RUforester72 for his opinion, because he likely knows more than everyone in this thread about this topic.

Carry on.

No one is saying that sicko arsonists aren't part of the problem. They are. I can assure you that dry lightning was responsible for the vast majority of the fires along the West Coast this year.

I agree it has been bruttaly dry this season out there. That is a major cause of it and it sucks for these poor people involed. Its bad enough they have to deal with this. But some of the fires these sicko arsonists lit probably caused major damage destroyed houses and such and maybe killed some people. Once they get arrested they get let go way to easy. I was watching a video and they went to the arsonists social media and what do you know a climate nut with ties to antifa. Its disgusting. The people affected by this have enouogh to worry about. They shouldnt have to worry about these idiots. Lock them up

No one is saying that sicko arsonists aren't part of the problem. They are. I can assure you that dry lightning was responsible for the vast majority of the fires along the West Coast this year.

Actually it was mostly arson. Which gets exacerbated when they don't do any deforestation. Man made fires or not, there is no excuse to make the problem worse by creating massive swaths of tinder boxes on a grand scale.

This thread is a perfect example of what is wrong with having any kind of a rational discussion about anything in this country today. A topic that should be apolitical turns political.

Fires start under hot, dry and windy conditions. Indisputable fact.

It has been a hot, dry and windy summer in the Pacific Northwest and California. Indisputable fact.

Climate change has played a role in weather pattern and hotter summers. Indisputable fact.

Filtering out the wackjob websites like CNN, The Atlantic, NYT, FoxNews, ZeroHedge, Breitbart, etc., a quick search of "Arrests Oregon Forest Fires" and "Arrests California Wild Fires" reveals there have been several arrests, but could not find one tied to radical groups on either side.

The BBC article linked above is noteworthy and factual. I asked @RUforester72 for his opinion, because he likely knows more than everyone in this thread about this topic.

Carry on.
The atlantic, CNN and NYT are not wackjob websites. Get a clue.

Reactions: Kbee3
The atlantic, CNN and NYT are not wackjob websites. Get a clue.
tenor.gif

Reactions: CERU00
Actually it was mostly arson. Which gets exacerbated when they don't do any deforestation. Man made fires or not, there is no excuse to make the problem worse by creating massive swaths of tinder boxes on a grand scale.
No it was not

deforestation is improper term. That refers to taking land from a forest land use to one that is not ( agriculture, subdivisions, industrial etc. ) proper term in general is forest management. More specifically fuels management.

No it was not

deforestation is improper term. That refers to taking land from a forest land use to one that is not ( agriculture, subdivisions, industrial etc. ) proper term in general is forest management. More specifically fuels management.

Whatever. Ca. stopped doing it.

No it was not

I am familiar with (and you probably are too) with what they do here in NJ in and around the Pine Barrens--they are called controlled burns. Every spring, the state forest service burns out the underbrush and dead wood to cut down the fuel load for the upcoming forest fire season.

Do they regularly do controlled burns in California and Oregon?

From Canada's National Wildland Fire Situation Report - 09SEP20

"British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan, are all reporting less than 10% of their average area burned for the year, and all of these provinces typically contribute significantly to the total area burned in the country."

"The United States is at preparedness level 5 with significant fires on the west cost extending from Washington through California."

British Columbia borders Washington. Does the weather change at the border? No lightning in Canada? Did the flames forget their passports?

Last edited:

"British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan, are all reporting less than 10% of their average area burned for the year, and all of these provinces typically contribute significantly to the total area burned in the country."

"The United States is at preparedness level 5 with significant fires on the west cost extending from Washington through California."

British Columbia borders Washington. Does the weather change at the border? No lightning in Canada? Did the flames forget their passport?

Funny how that works.

Reactions: Bagarocks
I am familiar with (and you probably are too) with what they do here in NJ in and around the Pine Barrens--they are called controlled burns. Every spring, the state forest service burns out the underbrush and dead wood to cut down the fuel load for the upcoming forest fire season.

Do they regularly do controlled burns in California and Oregon?
Both the state and federal agencies do prescribed/controlled burns in CA and OR. Problem is that there are something like 33M acres of forest in CA alone(Federal gov controls 19M of those). The recent agreement between CA and USFS commits together to "treat" 1M acres of forest a year. Some of that would be controlled burns.

Last year, CA "treated" 393K acres of state managed forest for $200M. Fed gov "treated" 235K acres of Fed forest for $151M. Again some controlled burns, some other mechanisms.

British Columbia borders Washington. Does the weather change at the border? No lightning in Canada? Did the flames forget their passports?

Yeah, Canada's weather is historically the spitting image of ours. Strong work.

We also stopped deforestation 4 years ago. Really bad move. Like king of stupid moves.

I repeat the JCPL and PSEG hire people in the summer to clear out the high power transmissions lines of the underbrush along the lines. 3 of my Nephews worked for JCPL summers. They would get crew cuts and then check each other at the end of work for tics every day.

It's called being on top of a problem...

Reactions: Caliknight

I took the Arson Investigator course that the NJSP teaches a 40 hour course.

It is 'estimated' that the majority of arsons in volunteer fire districts are done by the volunteer firemen. The first thing to be investigated of any series of local arsons is to check the rolls to see who comes to each fire.

It is 'estimated' that the majority of arsons in volunteer fire districts are done by the volunteer firemen. The first thing to be investigated of any series of local arsons is to check the rolls to see who comes to each fire.
Using the playbook of the clowns that accused and persecuted Richard Jewell, are we then?

Wow. I had no idea, but it makes sense.

One of the reasons I started this thread was that this round of fires had affected a member of the Rutgers community and presumed fanbase as I had seen on national television...I wanted this to unite us not polarize us further...it was also started to show empathy to all who are affected....

Some folks here are part of the propaganda problem, so there's nothing I can write here to convince those who have alternative "facts". However, the antifa-Oregon fires crap has been widely debunked - even by the FBI.

Question: have arsonists been arrested on the west coast for starting fires this year? How many?

Don't tell me who said what and who backed off what and what social media did what.. tell me if people have been caught for starting fires intentionally. The social media folks.. when they label something as false or misleading it means it is true and dangerous to them. When people back off statements, it is often to preserve their access to social media and prevent themselves from being "canceled" by the left stormtroopers.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/at-least-13-people-arrested-arson-wildfires

Toward the bottom of that story is says that Washinton state had no lightning in an area and they suspect as many as 56 fires were all arson or human error (like that party fireworks thing).

Here's another hint... did all those states have deserts in them BEFORE man arrived on the scene at all?

And wildfires before man was around?

Last edited:
Are you being disingenuous or are you ignorant to the climate similarities to the US PACNW and SW Canada? He's not comparing Saint Louis to Toronto.
Let him go on his little runts. They are funny.

Question: have arsonists been arrested on the west coast for starting fires this year? How many?

Don't tell me who said what and who backed off what and what social media did what.. tell me if people have been caught for starting fires intentionally. The social media folks.. when they label something as false or misleading it means it is true and dangerous to them. When people back off statements, it is often to preserve their access to social media and prevent themselves from being "canceled" by the left stormtroopers.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/at-least-13-people-arrested-arson-wildfires

Toward the bottom of that story is says that Washinton state had no lightning in an area and they suspect as many as 56 fires were all arson or human error (like that party fireworks thing).

Here's another hint... did all those states have deserts in them BEFORE man arrived on the scene at all?

And wildfires before man was around?

That is a lot of facts the arson deniers are not going to like

Of course it is not true that antifa started fires, Joe Biden has assured us that antifa does not exist!

BTW.. saying there is no truth that some organization is responsible is not the same thing as saying humans aren't committing arson in fires out there.

What about acid rain from China affecting the west coast forests?

BTW.. anyone remember when the left tried to use Polar Bear "endangerment" to give the EPA power to make all sorts of enforceable laws regarding carbon emissions? (Polar bears are thriving, btw) This GW/CC thing has always been about amassing political power. We're humans.. if the planet is warming (and it probably is) we'll adjust... its what we do.

You cannot have a revolution without enough desperate people... so they want to make more of them.. by any means necessary.

Last edited:
Wow. I had no idea, but it makes sense.
It’s one of the things on list.

Same reason an owner or an employee is checked out for fire in a commercial occupancy and the people who own/live there for a residential property.

Just like a spouse is always the first one they look at if something happens to the other. Or a robbery...rule out the inside job too.

It’s one of the things on list.

Same reason an owner or an employee is checked out for fire in a commercial occupancy and the people who own/live there for a residential property.

Just like a spouse is always the first one they look at if something happens to the other. Or a robbery...rule out the inside job too.
Was not aware of vollies being on such a list. Are off duty paid firefighters on such lists too? In over 35 years of being a vollie, have only been aware of 2 such incidents in the response area. Ironically, one of those who was caught and apprehended had the last name Wilburn. That is no joke. He should have been on the list as soon as he applied to be a vollie.

Was not aware of vollies being on such a list. Are off duty paid firefighters on such lists too? In over 35 years of being a vollie, have only been aware of 2 such incidents in the response area. Ironically, one of those who was caught and apprehended had the last name Wilburn. That is no joke. He should have been on the list as soon as he applied to be a vollie.
If the guy owns/works or lives there and it is determined by the marshals it’s arson...everyone gets a look.

But I am more in agreement with what you’re saying. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT