ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cam Spencer UCONN practice video? Re: The Sleepers…

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
“The Sleepers” podcast referenced a video about Cam in a not too flattering manner on social… anyone see it???

The one guy on the video called Paul a good stats, bad team player. Paul can't carry a team without a true star (Geo or Ron) at his side. The same guy said Cam is a good player, but Cam isn't a top 3 player on a good team. Bottom line, Paul and Cam, as top 3 players, could only get Rutgers to the NIT with a first-round loss.

I think Cam would have a better overall season this year because he would be surrounded by better players who would take the focus on him. Still not sure what Paul's role would be on this team with the ball not in his hands. It might be what we saw in Paul's first year, which wasn't great.

“The Sleepers” podcast referenced a video about Cam in a not too flattering manner on social… anyone see it???
Wondering myself what they were referring to.

If they are referring to his speech (lisp), that’s obviously a dumb and inappropriate take.

Last edited:

Rutgers hype train building already!

Some pretty good analysis here as well. Agree with the one guy take on Paul and Cam. Paul not as good of a fit with the roster and moving him off ball since he isn't a willing shooter. Cam would have thrived with better guard play and shooters around him

“Cam Spencer introduction video in UConn gym”..?🤷🏻‍♂️

Paul and Cam were good players. The loss of them hurts our depth. Also, high turnover is not a great formula for success. Unfortunately, high turnover will be a common place in college basketball these days

Reactions: Good-Knight
The one guy on the video called Paul a good stats, bad team player. Paul can't carry a team without a true star (Geo or Ron) at his side. The same guy said Cam is a good player, but Cam isn't a top 3 player on a good team. Bottom line, Paul and Cam, as top 3 players, could only get Rutgers to the NIT with a first-round loss.

I think Cam would have a better overall season this year because he would be surrounded by better players who would take the focus on him. Still not sure what Paul's role would be on this team with the ball not in his hands. It might be what we saw in Paul's first year, which wasn't great.
After watching the Portugal game twice now, Paul would still have the ball in his hands a lot. Pike allows Hyatt and Palmquist to bring the ball up whenever they want - a recipe for disaster in Big 10 play. Paul is also a better defender and rebounder than both of them. Too bad he wouldn't accept a reduced and different roll. And Paul has already shown he can carry a team. I seem to remember a certain four game stretch when he saved the season.

Rutgers hype train building already!

Some pretty good analysis here as well. Agree with the one guy take on Paul and Cam. Paul not as good of a fit with the roster and moving him off ball since he isn't a willing shooter. Cam would have thrived with better guard play and shooters around him
Fun guys to listen too
The Simpson stuff is off though

I was never big on cam. He disappeared for very very long stretches. Basically hit two big 3’s. Give me gavin over him all day
He was good, not great. Anyone saying we are better without him is delusional. Very good shooter. He’s not a 1 on 1 guy. On a team with more guys than can penetrate he can play to his strengths more. Last year he sometimes had to try and take it himself because there werent many options, which definitely was not his strength

He was good, not great. Anyone saying we are better without him is delusional. Very good shooter. He’s not a 1 on 1 guy. On a team with more guys than can penetrate he can play to his strengths more. Last year he sometimes had to try and take it himself because there werent many options, which definitely was not his strength
Agreed. Hes a set shooter and good 3 point shooter.

- cant create his own shot
- weak handle
- gets his shit punched every time he drives to the cup

He is what he is. Hes a good guy to have off the bench on a team with aspirations to make a deep run. If hes a go to guy for your team thats not a good thing

- weak handle

He is what he is. Hes a good guy to have off the bench on a team with aspirations to make a deep run. If hes a go to guy for your team thats not a good thing

Except we thought we were getting both

6008241f947e5eb23b914b5ae5d34fc3.gif

Reactions: RU-05 and Scangg
It’s impossible to say if we would be better with him or without him because players are people not just numbers

His role would have been lesser this season. Would he have been happy? Would he have shot as well? We will never know.

We will be better this year than last year - that’s the most important thing

- weak handle

Agree on most here. However he would've been a starter for RU this season, but his minutes reduced; still a big plus for us if he stayed. We're not better without him. (That's not to say this team won't be better than last year's.)

Reactions: njxchange
It’s impossible to say if we would be better with him or without him because players are people not just numbers

His role would have been lesser this season. Would he have been happy? Would he have shot as well? We will never know.

We will be better this year than last year - that’s the most important thing
UConn is very happy with him right now. They knew they were getting a good shooter, but they are shocked by how good he is at passing and defense. He was racking up 5 and 6 assists at game on UConn’s recent foreign tour, in addition to over 13 points a game, and they were limiting his minutes along with the other upperclassman to about 20 a game. He was being asked to do too much at Rutgers, UConn is a much better system for him to be in.

I was never big on cam. He disappeared for very very long stretches. Basically hit two big 3’s. Give me gavin over him all day
They don't play the same position.Cam is a 2 guard and Gavin is a small forward.

Reactions: Rokodesh
They don't play the same position.Cam is a 2 guard and Gavin is a small forward.
I say it as gavin is replacing him in the starting lineup

Pre cam leaving it was 50-50 gavin would be starting people said. Now its a 100% lock since paul and cam are gone

Pre cam leaving people were thinking

Noah
Cam
Paul
Mag
Cliff

I say it as gavin is replacing him in the starting lineup

Pre cam leaving it was 50-50 gavin would be starting people said. Now its a 100% lock since paul and cam are gone

Pre cam leaving people were thinking

Noah
Cam
Paul
Mag
Cliff
People are aren’t basketball fans might have said that, but Gavin would have easily beaten out Paul in training camp, he is just a far superior basketball player and elite scorer. Rutgers would have been much better with Cam and Gavin on the floor at the same time, stretching the defense and opening lanes to basket.

. He was being asked to do too much at Rutgers, UConn is a much better system for him to be in.

as far as the Rutgers team of last year - he WAS asked to do too much. I agree.

but I think with the addition of Gavin and the other point guards (more opportunities for penetration/ kick out), as others have said above, I think there was real opportunity for Cam to do even better at RU this upcoming year. oh well, we will never know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT