ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chris Gotterup making PGA tour debut as amateur and in 6th

superfan01

All American
May 29, 2003
6th place down in Puerto Rico after round 1. He is playing as an amateur. 1st pga event. Really nice to see for RU and NJ golf.

6th place down in Puerto Rico after round 1. He is playing as an amateur. 1st pga event. Really nice to see for RU and NJ golf.
Don't you mean Oklahoma Golf😁. According to Sagarin he's the #1 ranked college golfer.

James Piot (MSU) is playing Bay Hill this weekend.

He graduated from RU right?
Yes but purely from a sports standpoint, he'll be known as an OU golfer, not RU. He's been at OU for a bit over 1/2 a season. In that time in the PGA TOUR University Rankings he's gone from around 50th to 17th. In Sagarin he's gone from the 60's to #1.

During the East Lake Cup it was mentioned a number of times he started out at RU and he said all the right things when asked about it but going forward it will matter little.

FYI, they just had him on TV and his whole support group, parents etc are wearing OU gear.

Reactions: kupuna133
BTW, it's been 30 years since a NJ born and raised Pro won a PGA tourney.

Jim Mcgovern won the Houston Open in a playoff over a guy who by his name alone should have won, John Houston.

If Gotterup keeps up his pace and wins NCAA Golfer of the year, it will be two years in a row that a person from NJ was selected as Jon Pak from Scotch Plains won it in 2021. He played at FSU.

“Back at Rutgers I loved coach and he pushed me really hard and the same thing here, but we just didn’t have the schedule that I have access to now at Oklahoma,” Gotterup said. “Week in, week out we’re playing the best field you can pretty much put on paper.”

Gotterup finished 11 under (68-68-70-71), good for a T7. He ended up 9 strokes behind the winner but only 2 strokes out of what was a 4 way tie for 3rd. Pretty darn good.

Gotterup broke into the Top 15 in the PGA Tour University Rankings. He's now 14th after not being in the Top 25 when he left Rutgers. This is big for him as the Top 15 get entry into Mini Tour events.

PGA TOUR University First Team – Players 1st-5th in the final Velocity Global Ranking

1. Earn Korn Ferry Tour membership and exempt into all open, full-field events beginning the week following the conclusion of the NCAA Division-I National Championship through the end of the regular season

2. Exempt into Final Stage of the current season’s Korn Ferry Tour Qualifying Tournament

3. Exempt onto a PGA TOUR international tour the following year

PGA TOUR University Second Team – Players 6th-15th in the final Velocity Global Ranking

1. Earn membership on a PGA TOUR international tour and exempt into all open, full-events beginning the week following the conclusion of the NCAA Division-I National Championship through the end of the current season

2. Exempt into Second Stage of the current season’s Korn Ferry Tour Qualifying Tournament

Remaining Amateur

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT