ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coming to a beach near you in NJ and NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've mentioned this before, but it was interesting to see how many of the kids from these schools who were going to Rutgers at the time we were checking them out (2012-2014). Not just accepted but actually enrolling.

A lot more than I would have thought. A lot more.

both of my brothers kids attended High Tech HS, ridiculously smart, i think one of them was ranked #1 in her class and both of them went to RU.

It’s amazing anyone types this easily debunked nonsense about birds without being embarrassed or realizing it discredits anything else they try to say.
Stop reading off the Democratic party talking points and try switching the channel off of MSNBC for just a few minutes a day. And guess what, I hate Fox News just as much, so there.

Education is the key to solving partisan ignorance.

US red states among wind + solar leaders​

Wind and solar generation as percentage of electricity consumption (2019)

Kansas
53.7%
Iowa
53.4%
North Dakota
51.1%
Oklahoma
45.4%
New Mexico
34.1%
Wyoming
25.3%
Nebraska
24.9%
South Dakota
23.8%
California
23.7%
Colorado
22.7%
Source: Environment America Research & Policy Center

Last edited:
Stop reading off the Democratic party talking points and try switching the channel off of MSNBC for just a few minutes a day. And guess what, I hate Fox News just as much, so there.

Education is the key to solving partisan ignorance.

Audubon also mentions bird deaths from wind turbines. And says that, while it’s a lot, it’s still less than are killed by other unrelated things (like cats).

I take it you’re a vegetarian? No? Do you know how many chickens are killed each year? Or cows? Or pigs? Awful lot of fish are killed each week.

What makes birds so special?

Reactions: LBusDoor90
I've mentioned this before, but it was interesting to see how many of the kids from these schools who were going to Rutgers at the time we were checking them out (2012-2014). Not just accepted but actually enrolling.

A lot more than I would have thought. A lot more.

That's the case for magnet schools across NJ. It's only not the case at private schools and a shrinking handful of public schools. The cost of non-in state schools and RU's prestige have simultaneously increased and created a perfect storm.

Audubon also mentions bird deaths from wind turbines. And says that, while it’s a lot, it’s still less than are killed by other unrelated things (like cats).

I take it you’re a vegetarian? No? Do you know how many chickens are killed each year? Or cows? Or pigs? Awful lot of fish are killed each week.

Birds are incredibly important to the ecosystem, thats why. Not sure what eating meat has to do with it.

That's the case for magnet schools across NJ. It's only not the case at private schools and a shrinking handful of public schools. The cost of non-in state schools and RU's prestige have simultaneously increased and created a perfect storm.
They spent their money on private high schools and realize they can’t afford out of state tuition. They all don’t receive full scholarship unless they are in the 5% of their class.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Well I also think in the case for these particular kids the price matters too as I am going to assume they are getting a great financial package from Rutgers.

If not, they should be.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

Maybe because they don’t have to die that way? Mother Nature’s way is fine, ours not so much.

If we were eating seagulls, cranes, egrets, Ospreys and the like they’d be on your list too.

US red states among wind + solar leaders​

Wind and solar generation as percentage of electricity consumption (2019)

Kansas
53.7%
Iowa
53.4%
North Dakota
51.1%
Oklahoma
45.4%
New Mexico
34.1%
Wyoming
25.3%
Nebraska
24.9%
South Dakota
23.8%
California
23.7%
Colorado
22.7%
Source: Environment America Research & Policy Center
The more environmentally conscious party?

No pun intended, but on our drive to Arizona, we went through Oklahoma, and we were blown away by the number of wind turbines along the interstate. Wind turbines along seems like a good place for since there is already highway noise and it may be less of an aesthetic issue?

Maybe because they don’t have to die that way?

If we were eating seagulls, cranes, egrets, Ospreys and the like they’d be on your list too.
Don't forget the lesbian seagulls.

Reactions: mildone

That is a very immature response, to equate the death of animals and birds in the natural ecological system with domesticated animals used for food. Generally, I enjoy your posts, but I think you might want to take a rest from this board for a bit, I have noticed you have been getting into a lot of pointless arguments with posters on other threads as well.

Reactions: newell138
That is a very immature response, to equate the death of animals and birds in the natural ecological system with domesticated animals used for food. Generally, I enjoy your posts, but I think you might want to take a rest from this board for a bit, I have noticed you have been getting into a lot of pointless arguments with posters on other threads as well.
How about buildings?

upwards of 1 Billion birds are killed every year by building collisions, this number is 2000X greater than the number of birds killed by wind turbines. Perhaps we should be focusing on reducing the deaths from buildings if what you really care about are bird deaths. Just a 1% reduction in deaths from buildings would save more than 20X killed by wind turbines.

How about buildings?

upwards of 1 Billion birds are killed every year by building collisions, this number is 2000X greater than the number of birds killed by wind turbines. Perhaps we should be focusing on reducing the deaths from buildings if what you really care about are bird deaths. Just a 1% reduction in deaths from buildings would save more than 20X killed by wind turbines.
If the bird doesn’t know how to get around a stationary object like a building compared to the moving blades of the turbines, as Darwin would say…that’s on the bird.🤷‍♂️

How about buildings?

Agreed, that is why cities encourage buildings to turn off their lights at night.

both of my brothers kids attended High Tech HS, ridiculously smart, i think one of them was ranked #1 in her class and both of them went to RU.

Theres no difference between the elite students at RU and elite students at ivies. Many choose RU because they know they’re going to spend a good bit of money on grad school.

Theres no difference between the elite students at RU and elite students at ivies. Many choose RU because they know they’re going to spend a good bit of money on grad school.
And like this NIL stuff, ours should hopefully be compensated with a better financial package than the rest as they have earned it.

Maybe because they don’t have to die that way? Mother Nature’s way is fine, ours not so much.

I’m as willing to sacrifice some birds for energy as I am to sacrifice some chickens and cows for food. Otherwise I’d be eating cold meat. Also willing to sacrifice a small percentage of other animals for medical research. I don’t like that we’re doing it. But if I’m going to kill animals to eat, when I could live just fine without doing so, then I would feel hypocritical to complain about killing living beings to make energy.

As in everything else, it would be nice to strike a balance and I encourage taking steps to mitigate the damage we humans continue to do to our planet. Which humanity does a shit job of, so far, IMO. The damage done to animal life from decades of industrialization and deforestation is immeasurably large at this point. The wind turbine thing is just another example, and not even close to the worst.

Immature? Nonsense. It’s a very non-hypocritical response.

Just because you’re comfortable with killing for food, and not comfortable killing for energy, does not make your position self-consistent. Life is life. Either you’re okay taking animal life or you are not. Are we God that we get to decide what life is important and what life is not?

Reactions: rutgersdave
The bird argument is even more useless than the "BUT MUH VIEW!!" At least the latter is honest.
I love animals, including birds. Years ago, I had a couple bats get free in my house. I trapped one with a shoebox and released it. The other attacked me, so I swatted it, which stunned it, and put it outside. For the most part, I don't even kill insects.

But it's pretty transparently agenda-driven to claim that wind turbines are evil because they cause harm to wildlife. Humanity has been acting with rampant disregard for wildlife and our environment for a long time. All of sudden, some bird deaths are the big deal?

If it's vegans living in caves making the point, then okay. Otherwise...

Reactions: fsg2
How about buildings?

That's a point made by Audubon as well. It sucks that birds are killed, but the numbers pale compared to cats or buildings. I'm sure they'd like to see zero bird deaths, but apparently they're somewhat philosophical about it and would just like to see the sites chosen w/respect to minimizing deaths of certain endangered bird species. Which makes perfect sense and I 100% agree about.

As in all things, there's a moderate approach to wind turbines. Demonizing them or treating them like God's gift to energy production are extremes we should mostly ignore.

Last edited:
Reactions: m1ipabrams
I love animals, including birds. Years ago, I had a couple bats get free in my house. I trapped one with a shoebox and released it. The other attacked me, so I swatted it, which stunned it, and put it outside. For the most part, I don't even kill insects.

But it's pretty transparently agenda-driven to claim that wind turbines are evil because they cause harm to wildlife. Humanity has been acting with rampant disregard for wildlife and our environment for a long time. All of sudden, some bird deaths are the big deal?

If it's vegans living in caves making the point, then okay. Otherwise...

100 percent.

I'm like you, too. People think I'm crazy when I capture insects and throw them outside, and I've helped a few stunned birds including one in the middle of the highway. But that argument v windmills is a steaming heap.

If the bird doesn’t know how to get around a stationary object like a building compared to the moving blades of the turbines, as Darwin would say…that’s on the bird.🤷‍♂️
Wind turbines might wind up being a situation where humanity interferes with natural selection to the point where we artificially create super-intelligent birds (the fit ones smart enough to dodge the wind turbines). And, naturally, those hyper-intelligent birds will subsequently kill off humanity for having killed all their less fit bird buddies. With the dolphins applauding, despite no longer being given so much free fish.

Calling Alfred Hitchcock.

I wonder, @Knight Shift, if my previous (and entirely satirical) post will be nutty enough to appear on that site you once posted that pulls posts from various internet forums as examples of, uh, nutty posts. I sure hope so. It was my 1 minute of internet infamy. I keep writing ever more nutty satirical posts in the hopes that I can make even more infamous appearances there. 😀

Reactions: Knight Shift
If you are concerned about birds you better get rid of cats before you worry about windmills
That could be the genesis of a solution right there. Build giant slingshots and, using catnip as lures, trap cats, then slingshot them into the wind turbines once per minute or so. That way, the birds will hear the screeches, and see the mid-air explosion of fur and blood up ahead of them, thus giving them plenty of warning to alter course.

Problem solved. I like how you think, Tom. 😀

Reactions: tom1944
And like this NIL stuff, ours should hopefully be compensated with a better financial package than the rest as they have earned it.
And the kids in tech disciplines usually go to grad school for free and often get paid fellowships. There was a young woman from Manasquan who went to Communications High, majored in physics at Rutgers, and went to Harvard with two or three fellowships.

That could be the genesis of a solution right there. Build giant slingshots and, using catnip as lures, trap cats, then slingshot them into the wind turbines once per minute or so. That way, the birds will hear the screeches, and see the mid-air explosion of fur and blood up ahead of them, thus giving them plenty of warning to alter course.

Problem solved. I like how you think, Tom. 😀
I'm a little distracted by work today (as I should be?), and I could not figure out WTF you were trying to say, and I'm not sure I want to figure it out. You got any pictures? 😬

Wind turbines might wind up being a situation where humanity interferes with natural selection to the point where we artificially create super-intelligent birds (the fit ones smart enough to dodge the wind turbines). And, naturally, those hyper-intelligent birds will subsequently kill off humanity for having killed all their less fit bird buddies. With the dolphins applauding, despite no longer being given so much free fish.

Calling Alfred Hitchcock.
I find this theory/possibility even scarier…

dc37a32674c6d1db7315626ee7661ebd03b5ec96a55ec98e4c25b3f4165edac2_1.jpg

And the kids in tech disciplines usually go to grad school for free and often get paid fellowships. There was a young woman from Manasquan who went to Communications High, majored in physics at Rutgers, and went to Harvard with two or three fellowships.
That tech major kids can go to grad school not only for free, but often being paid (albeit not a lot) for doing research work, is a point I made to my kids early on. They didn't take that route. But I still think parents (and high schools) should make a point of reminding kids about it periodically. It's kind of a big deal, IMO, when deciding between a liberal arts degree or a science degree.

That tech major kids can go to grad school not only for free, but often being paid (albeit not a lot) for doing research work, is a point I made to my kids early on. They didn't take that route. But I still think parents (and high schools) should make a point of reminding kids about it periodically. It's kind of a big deal, IMO, when deciding between a liberal arts degree or a science degree.
My brother in law got his MBA from Stevens that way via J&J.

I'm a little distracted by work today (as I should be?), and I could not figure out WTF you were trying to say, and I'm not sure I want to figure it out. You got any pictures? 😬
In hindsight, instead of slingshots, I should've written catapults which would have been much punnier and perhaps more conceptually approachable.

Picture loading catnip crazed cats into catapults and then flinging them at the turbine blades. Then picture a bird flying toward the turbine in question, then suddenly veering off to the side as it hears a long screeeeech (ever hear cats mate in the Spring - that sound) as the flung feline flies through the air, followed quickly by a puff of blood and fur and guts as it's struck by a blade.

I'm giggling like a 12 year old right now. Jeez. I really have a sick and twisted sense of humor. 😀

That raises a fair question.
Why do Medical School student go into debt to pay for medical school? While there are probably limited scholarships and fellowships, as a worthy endeavor, wouldn't it make sense for medical school student to do research and get paid for it to ease the financial burden of paying for med school, especially when they don't make much during their residency?

That raises a fair question.
Why do Medical School student go into debt to pay for medical school? While there are probably limited scholarships and fellowships, as a worthy endeavor, wouldn't it make sense for medical school student to do research and get paid for it to ease the financial burden of paying for med school, especially when they don't make much during their residency?
Makes sense to me. But I really know very little about it. Perhaps a lot of folks aiming to be medical doctors are not particularly good at or interested in research?

Could be that the workload in and immediately after medical school is so intense that there's no time/energy to dedicate to research. Seems like most med students and residents are already pretty sleep deprived.

In hindsight, instead of slingshots, I should've written catapults which would have been much punnier and perhaps more conceptually approachable.

Picture loading catnip crazed cats into catapults and then flinging them at the turbine blades. Then picture a bird flying toward the turbine in question, then suddenly veering off to the side as it hears a long screeeeech (ever hear cats mate in the Spring - that sound) as the flung feline flies through the air, followed quickly by a puff of blood and fur and guts as it's struck by a blade.

I'm giggling like a 12 year old right now. Jeez. I really have a sick and twisted sense of humor. 😀
I was talking about this post:

Any time a two or more females want to play the beast with two backs, I’m all for it. 😀

That Lesbian Seagull Song has an interesting backstory linked to the NYT link I posted. The song was written and originally recorded by Tom Wilson Weinberg, who was gay, on the album, The Gay Name Game. He wrote and recorded the song in response to the UC Irvine study of long term lesbian monogamous behavior in seagulls on Santa Barbara Island.

The fact that Mike Judge got Engelbert Humperdinck to record it for the movie Beavis and Butt-Head Do America is legendary.

I was talking about this post:

That Lesbian Seagull Song has an interesting backstory linked to the NYT link I posted. The song was written and originally recorded by Tom Wilson Weinberg, who was gay, on the album, The Gay Name Game. He wrote and recorded the song in response to the UC Irvine study of long term lesbian monogamous behavior in seagulls on Santa Barbara Island.

The fact that Mike Judge got Engelbert Humperdinck to record it for the movie Beavis and Butt-Head Do America is legendary.

Ah. "The beast with two backs". LOL I get it now. 😀

I stole that from the author: W.E.B. Griffin.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Immature? Nonsense. It’s a very non-hypocritical response.

Just because you’re comfortable with killing for food, and not comfortable killing for energy, does not make your position self-consistent. Life is life. Either you’re okay taking animal life or you are not. Are we God that we get to decide what life is important and what life is not?
How do you reply to stupid?

Agreed, that is why cities encourage buildings to turn off their lights at night.

What about oil?

Just as many sea birds are killed in oil spills every year(500K) as by wind turbines?

Should we be stopping oil drilling & shipping? why is no one complaining about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT