ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coming to a beach near you in NJ and NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
-1x-1.jpg
What's the source of that image, do you know?

Have those people worrying about it also been highly concerned about the disposal of obsolete petroleum industry equipment?

Or nah?

I read this is a major problem with abandon oil wells.

The stench bellows from the 1,500-foot hole in the ground, the remains of a well long ago abandoned by a bankrupt oil company. Despite the well’s rotten-egg smell, the real culprit is methane, and every year this single well spews the potent greenhouse-gas equivalent of roughly 600 cars.
It has been gushing, unchecked, for nearly three decades.

Hundreds of abandoned oil and natural gas wells cover Montana, according to Shuck, and nationally the Environmental Protection Agency estimates that the number exceeds 3 million, which various people view as either way too low or way too high. Either way — and especially when what is escaping from the ground is measured by the metric ton — the math is ugly, the effects profound.

In the short term, methane is markedly more potent than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas because of its ability to trap heat. Concentrations of methane in the atmosphere rose more sharply last year than at any time “since systematic measurements began in 1983,” the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported in April.

Last edited:
Npr weighs in again. The Twitter thread linked below reads like this thread- a bunch of whataboutisms about other energy sources.

I saw that and immediately thought of this thread. If I had @newell138's email, I would've forwarded the articles (there were several out there) to him so he could come back to this thread and bash me over the head with them, forcing me to scramble a little to defend wind power. 😀

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
I saw that and immediately thought of this thread. If I had @newell138's email, I would've forwarded the articles (there were several out there) to him so he could come back to this thread and bash me over the head with them, forcing me to scramble a little to defend wind power. 😀
Meh. People generally have their minds made up on these things, and often times (not always), their minds track their political ideology and perhaps what they have been conditioned to believe by wherever they receive their news/narratives. It is highly amusing on social media and the news channels when the talking heads talk about the other channel indoctrinating viewers/readers. They all do it.

I did read an interesting paper from a conservative think tank (but the writer was from Canada, so it has to be neutral?) on the minuses of wind power and EV cars, but I will not post it because I like to research these things independently from science-based sources before sharing. Don't know if I will get around to it. On first glance, it seemed "reasonably" supported, but I was made suspicious when I saw that it was from a directional think tank. However, many think tanks are more reasoned in their analysis than most new sources, IMO.

I have to go save an eagle and a condor from a turbine blade before it is too late.

Reactions: mildone

Last week I inquired about having an osprey nest stand installed in the wetlands behind my house as there are always ospreys sitting in the tree behind my house. I was told they are not installing any new ones because ospreys have reached their pre-DDT levels in NJ which is pretty impressive. Eagles are not far behind

I saw on the other board mentioned 150 eagles died in the US. That’s about .004% of the eagle population.

The number of bald eagles in the lower 48 U.S. states — a population once on the brink of extinction — has quadrupled in the last dozen years to more than 316,000, federal wildlife officials say, despite steep declines in other American bird populations.

in the 1960’s, fewer than 500 eagles. Many died from DDT. There’re like deers, too many around now.

Approximately 6,721 people, many children, die crossing the street in the USA in 2020. Where’s the outrage?

Last edited:
I saw on the other board mentioned 150 eagles died in the US. That’s about .004% of the eagle population.

The number of bald eagles in the lower 48 U.S. states — a population once on the brink of extinction — has quadrupled in the last dozen years to more than 316,000, federal wildlife officials say, despite steep declines in other American bird populations.

in the 1960’s, fewer than 500 eagles. Many died from DDT. There’re like deers, too many around now.

Approximately 6,721 people, many children, die crossing the street in the USA in 2020. Where’s the outrage?
Not following your logic here with your severely contorted whataboutism and how children crossing the street dying has anything to do with the topic at hand? But thanks for affirming my point above. When you don't have anything, sling out a whataboutism in response. In your case, you could have stopped with there being too many eagles being around now.

92ffded75d8d20f1a779c0e6c614f734.gif

"deers"????

Last week I inquired about having an osprey nest stand installed in the wetlands behind my house as there are always ospreys sitting in the tree behind my house. I was told they are not installing any new ones because ospreys have reached their pre-DDT levels in NJ which is pretty impressive. Eagles are not far behind
Hawks and eagles and other large birds are pretty awesome. Beautiful creatures in flight. I don't recall ever having seen an eagle in the wild, but would love to see one. I have seen plenty of hawks.

A couple summers back, while on an early morning drive along the Delaware north of Port Jervis (on Route 97, an awesome road for driving), a hawk flew over my car and stayed there for a while. I was winding my way quickly through the curves on that road, and it stayed right above me, maybe 25 feet up or so, for miles. The car has a glass roof and the sunroof was open, so I could glance up and watch it above me the whole time.

Maybe it liked the music I had playing or, conversely, it was annoyed at the loud car and music and wanted to poop on me. 😀 Whatever it's reason for doing it, it was a cool experience watching the bird effortlessly track the car (at a fairly high speed) curve after curve. I didn't realize how fast they could fly, but they are quick.

I'm happy to hear their numbers are increasing. I'm actually all for doing what can be reasonably done to ensure all those large bird species flourish and never disappear.

Hawks and eagles and other large birds are pretty awesome. Beautiful creatures in flight. I don't recall ever having seen an eagle in the wild, but would love to see one. I have seen plenty of hawks.

A couple summers back, while on an early morning drive along the Delaware north of Port Jervis (on Route 97, an awesome road for driving), a hawk flew over my car and stayed there for a while. I was winding my way quickly through the curves on that road, and it stayed right above me, maybe 25 feet up or so, for miles. The car has a glass roof and the sunroof was open, so I could glance up and watch it above me the whole time.

Maybe it liked the music I had playing or, conversely, it was annoyed at the loud car and music and wanted to poop on me. 😀 Whatever it's reason for doing it, it was a cool experience watching the bird effortlessly track the car (at a fairly high speed) curve after curve. I didn't realize how fast they could fly, but they are quick.

I'm happy to hear their numbers are increasing. I'm actually all for doing what can be reasonably done to ensure all those large bird species flourish and never disappear.
You surely weren't playing the Eagles, if the hawk was named Lebowski.

I hear what you're saying and I wouldn't cancel wind power due to some eagle deaths. I would try to figure out how the two can coexist better, though.

TBH, I kind of feel more like there are too many humans around now. Eagles and deer don't get all caught up in nonsensical political debates that never lead anywhere. Whereas us humans are endlessly irritating with all our complaining and finger-pointing and us versus them mentalities.

We need to colonize the moon or mars or whatever. Or start shipping giant container ships of people off on multigenerational trips to potential new planets.

But the Eagles and deer can stay. 😀

Last edited:
You surely weren't playing the Eagles, if the hawk was named Lebowski.
I'm just glad it wasn't Steve Miller Band's "Fly Like an Eagle" which might've been insulting to a hawk. I'd have been pooped on for sure. "Eagle this", the hawk would've squawked at me.

I usually just let Spotify shuffle through my entire collection on these drives, skipping songs I don't feel like hearing. So no idea what was playing at the time.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I've never heard a peep from these. The arguments against offshore windmills are totally disingenuous. Trump says windmills are bad, so the lemmings say windmills must be bad. Economical, clean energy.
Another swing and a miss Don Quixote. TDS on full display. Don't recall him talking about them, but it has been shown that windmills cause brain damage, causing people to think windmills cause cancer and start wars in Ukraine. 😕

Another swing and a miss Don Quixote. TDS on full display. Don't recall him talking about them, but it has been shown that windmills cause brain damage, causing people to think windmills cause cancer and start wars in Ukraine. 😕

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but Trump constantly disparages windmills. As always, Trump's tirades come from some personal issue - windmills were the focus of a fight had with Scotland.

This whole thread is no

Trump forgot he was talking about Ukraine and went crazy about Windmills. Almost everything discussed in this thread.

This whole thread is no

Trump forgot he was talking about Ukraine and went crazy about Windmills. Almost everything discussed in this thread.
Exactly as I said. Nuance is not your friend.

Anyone taking science lessons from a politician (except perhaps politicians who may be scientists, but even then, they can't be trusted because they are probably spewing talking points), especially one as dumb as Trump, or the one who is currently in office and does not seem to know what he is saying a good portion of the time, needs some serious help.

I’ve been seeing more and more bald eagles down here lately and tons of red tail hawks and ospreys. Beautiful birds

I thought we debunked that "turbines izz sooo drrrty to dispose of" line of hypocrisy way earlier in this thread, but if some half-plastic tik-tok bimbo says so ....

I thought we debunked that "turbines izz sooo drrrty to dispose of" line of hypocrisy way earlier in this thread, but if some half-plastic tik-tok bimbo says so ....
Hey now. That‘s my future ex wife you’re talking about. Mmmm, boots. 🙂

I’ve been seeing more and more bald eagles down here lately and tons of red tail hawks and ospreys. Beautiful birds

No Bald Eagles although I know they've been spotted in Brielle but Turkey Vultures, hawks, and had an Osprey hanging out on top of a telephone pole behind the house the other day. Maybe he thought his namesake bar was opening early and wanted to get some wing pumping in. 2nd year in a row a pair of swans have set up a nest by the bridge. We had a seal that drew attention in the waterway by Main Street.

It seems since Sandy and even more so the pandemic, we see a lot more winged and 4 legged creatures around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Has anybody seen any Albatross? Perhaps overhead, hanging motionless upon the air?

Just a little cross-threading fun. 🙂

I realize some may want this on the current events board but I'm pretty sure 90% of the people on this board go to the Jersey shore on a fairly regular basis and even use electricity in their homes, so felt it was important to get the word out so at the very least people are aware of how it will effect them. Phil Murphy has quietly auctioned off the entire coast of NJ to foreign wind farm companies and they have plans to build massive wind farms off the coast from Staten Island to Cape May. They will be visible on a clear day from the beach. For those of you thinking, oh great, its free electricity, think again. Everywhere these are used, the electricity bills skyrocket to 2x or 3x what people were paying. The first one being built is down here in South Jersey and when Ocean City attempted to fight back and say, you will not be running your cables through our beaches and our towns to the generator on land, Phil Murphy took away home rule across the entire state. It used to mean that towns had final say in what happens in their town, but now, that is no longer the case. The state decides what is best. Regardless of how you feel, its important to know the facts. Read the article linked below and look at the pictures where it shows the wind farms will be located. If you want more info there is a NJBPU virtual public hearing on the topic tonight at 7PM.

Here is a link to the article

ny-lease-area-high-bids-graphic___04112636224.jpg
Not sure how I missed this. And I didn't read through the 10 pages of comments. But just weighing in to say:

1. This was not done quietly. This was all over the papers and hearing and hearings for years. It started in the Corzine admin and was also supported by Christie. Murphy just got it done. So the OP makes it sound like something sneaky. It was not.

2. If we don't address climate change there won't be any shore views to protect.

3. Having our own source of energy will make NJ more prosperous and self reliant. I'm all for it.

No Bald Eagles although I know they've been spotted in Brielle but Turkey Vultures, hawks, and had an Osprey hanging out on top of a telephone pole behind the house the other day. Maybe he thought his namesake bar was opening early and wanted to get some wing pumping in. 2nd year in a row a pair of swans have set up a nest by the bridge. We had a seal that drew attention in the waterway by Main Street.

It seems since Sandy and even more so the pandemic, we see a lot more winged and 4 legged creatures around here.

I see bald eagles once a twice a year up hear, usually in winter. Turkey Vultures are all over the place and I see them pretty much every day.

I see bald eagles once a twice a year up hear, usually in winter. Turkey Vultures are all over the place and I see them pretty much every day.
I see a Bald Eagle flying over Rt. 1, probably in South Brunswick, most mornings on my commute to Trenton. Also see them in New Brunswick along the Raritan quite frequently.

Are you saying the pile of old windmill blades in a landfill is fake because some girl wearing boots is there?

Im saying (said a page or two ago, actually) that it's a disingenuous bs concern because oil industry infrastructure is notoriously filthy to remove. You could make an even more shocking video touring corroding offshore oil rig skeletons or leaking plugs if you really cared about the issue.

Reactions: newell138
I see a Bald Eagle flying over Rt. 1, probably in South Brunswick, most mornings on my commute to Trenton. Also see them in New Brunswick along the Raritan quite frequently.
Yep - there was even one flying over the Maryland game prior to the helicopter flyover, pretty cool.

See one flying over my house in Lawrence Brook every so often - had a Red Tailed Hawk hunting squirrels in my backyard the other day, that was interesting.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Yep - there was even one flying over the Maryland game prior to the helicopter flyover, pretty cool.

See one flying over my house in Lawrence Brook every so often - had a Red Tailed Hawk hunting squirrels in my backyard the other day, that was interesting.
Double win. See a Red Tail hunting and also eff the squirrels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT