ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coming to a beach near you in NJ and NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about oil?

Just as many sea birds are killed in oil spills every year(500K) as by wind turbines?

Should we be stopping oil drilling & shipping? why is no one complaining about that?
When people are against something they use every argument possible.

It does not have to be consistent

How do you reply to stupid
It’s easy, allow me to demonstrate…

You’re knew the internet, apparently. But when all you have are lame insults, the other guy won.

Either come up with a valid logical argument not overflowing with hypocrisy, or else come up with more interesting and creative insults. I enjoy a good fun creative insult exchange, and I’ll be gentle with you ‘cause I can see you’re a little sensitive. So either way works great for me. 🙂

It’s easy, allow me to demonstrate…

You’re knew the internet, apparently. But when all you have are lame insults, the other guy won.

Either come up with a valid logical argument not overflowing with hypocrisy, or else come up with more interesting and creative insults. I enjoy a good fun creative insult exchange, and I’ll be gentle with you ‘cause I can see you’re a little sensitive. So either way works great for me. 🙂
He’s just an angry person. Like he really cares about the birds. Lol

What about oil?

Just as many sea birds are killed in oil spills every year(500K) as by wind turbines?

Should we be stopping oil drilling & shipping? why is no one complaining about that?
Maybe because it is a long-established energy source that the world and the United States is highly dependent upon? I'm not attacking you, but this seems to be a bad example of a whataboutism, which is a very popular tactic on social media.
When people are against something they use every argument possible.

It does not have to be consistent
While I agree with your first sentence, my answer above sheds more light on why it may be a false equivalence (or poor whataboutism).

That argument could be turned around to say- so you are saying we should be killing more wildlife?

He’s just an angry person. Like he really cares about the birds. Lol
I get the sense, based on his earlier comments, this is all somehow political for him.

In truth, I don’t see how it’s political. But some folks seem entirely unable to think of anything without running it through the politically approved commentary filter first. Perhaps a case of: “what or whom should I be demonizing today?” where logic is frowned upon and us versus them hatreds earn brownie points.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Maybe because it is a long-established energy source that the world and the United States is highly dependent upon? I'm not attacking you, but this seems to be a bad example of a whataboutism, which is a very popular tactic on social media.
Its not really a whataboutism. The OP is claiming we should not invest in Wind Turbines because they kill birds and I showed an example of the current alternative that kills just as many birds and that is just counting the sea birds killed by tanker oilspills and not birds killed by things like oil sands tailling ponds or smog emissions from oil/gas fired power plants(which some claim to be in the billions).
While there is no denying that Wind Turbines kill birds and reasonable efforts should be take to reduce that, if the OP really cared about how many birds are being killed to generate his electricity, he would be advocating FOR wind turbines and not against them.

And like this NIL stuff, ours should hopefully be compensated with a better financial package than the rest as they have earned it.
They are; there are multiple scholarships reserved for kids in the honors college who are in that stratum, among other excellence awards.

Its not really a whataboutism. The OP is claiming we should not invest in Wind Turbines because they kill birds and I showed an example of the current alternative that kills just as many birds and that is just counting the sea birds killed by tanker oilspills and not birds killed by things like oil sands tailling ponds or smog emissions from oil/gas fired power plants(which some claim to be in the billions).
While there is no denying that Wind Turbines kill birds and reasonable efforts should be take to reduce that, if the OP really cared about how many birds are being killed to generate his electricity, he would be advocating FOR wind turbines and not against them.
We are probably not going to fully agree. I am not denying your premise that the the oil industry kills wildlife, and we agree that wind turbines would also kill birds.

Where I am having a disconnect with you argument is where you say if OP really cared about birds being killed, he would be advocating FOR wind turbines. Let's assume OP does care about birds being killed--why would he advocate for something else that kills birds and purportedly causes other issues (noise, aesthetics, interference with fishing and navigation)? Maybe before deploying a newer technology, trial studies and further work could be done to reduce the bad effects (bird killing) instead of plowing forward with a huge project right here and right now.

Reactions: newell138
I get the sense, based on his earlier comments, this is all somehow political for him.

In truth, I don’t see how it’s political. But some folks seem entirely unable to think of anything without running it through the politically approved commentary filter first. Perhaps a case of: “what or whom should I be demonizing today?” where logic is frowned upon and us versus them hatreds earn brownie points.
It goes from stupid post to stupider post, when will it end? Someone needs to find a job and get out from their mother's basement. LOL!!

What about oil?

Are you arguing in favor of oil spills? We hope that the oil companies are not intentionally spilling oil, unless you know otherwise, are you an informant within the industry, what exactly do you know?

Reactions: newell138
Are you arguing in favor of oil spills? We hope that the oil companies are not intentionally spilling oil, unless you know otherwise, are you an informant within the industry, what exactly do you know?
Is this meant as a serious response or should I just assume you are trolling and ignore you? And if serious, is that really the direction you want to go?

We are probably not going to fully agree. I am not denying your premise that the the oil industry kills wildlife, and we agree that wind turbines would also kill birds.

Where I am having a disconnect with you argument is where you say if OP really cared about birds being killed, he would be advocating FOR wind turbines. Let's assume OP does care about birds being killed--why would he advocate for something else that kills birds and purportedly causes other issues (noise, aesthetics, interference with fishing and navigation)? Maybe before deploying a newer technology, trial studies and further work could be done to reduce the bad effects (bird killing) instead of plowing forward with a huge project right here and right now.
So my point isn't that this is some else to kill birds, but rather by increasing the number of Wind turbines in replacement for oil based power gen, we are actually reducing the number of birds killed.

Wind power generation isn't really all that new and untested, there have been on-shore wind farms in the US for decades and off-shore wind farms in Europe for close to 20 years. There has been huge amounts of research done.

In terms of the other concerns, specifically noise, aesthetics, etc is a Wind turbine really worse than this?

234e32c9-b032-4ae3-b337-adbde1036497_750x422.jpg

1280px-Anacortes_Refinery_31911.JPG

05_japan_7.jpg

So my point isn't that this is some else to kill birds, but rather by increasing the number of Wind turbines in replacement for oil based power gen, we are actually reducing the number of birds killed.

Wind power generation isn't really all that new and untested, there have been on-shore wind farms in the US for decades and off-shore wind farms in Europe for close to 20 years. There has been huge amounts of research done.

In terms of the other concerns, specifically noise, aesthetics, etc is a Wind turbine really worse than this?

05_japan_7.jpg
Are those last two pictures of the Winter Olympics in China ?

You make fair points. Maybe the view here in NJ is myopic and unspoiled. Are there oil rigs off the NJ Coast that are visible from the beach?

Maybe there is heightened sensitivity here in NJ? Different issues play differently in different locales.

For example, along parts of the Gulf Coast, locals might feel wind turbines are a major improvement over oil rigs.

Reactions: m1ipabrams

05_japan_7.jpg
We almost had Off shore drilling in NJ until Biden stopped it. Somehow Florida and South Carolina were exempted BY Trump from off shore drilling due to the possibility of oil spills affecting their tourism. No worries about Ocean City and NJ beaches Tourism. Trump always wanted to screw the blue states as his revenge. It took me about 10-15 years to go to the NJ beaches again after the medical syringes scare.

Oil rigs off the Jersey Shore became increasingly unlikely Wednesday when President Joe Biden announced a pause in new oil and gas drilling as part of his efforts to combat climate change.

Biden’s executive orders, signed Wednesday, will block for now former President Donald Trump’s effort to open most of the Atlantic Coast to oil drilling. That was a reversal of President Barack Obama’s decision to keep the Atlantic Coast off limitsthrough at least 2022.

Trump wins in 2024, you get off shore drilling in NJ and the Wind farms. Any oil spill in NJ, you‘ll see a 30% drop in NJ shore tourism. I never went to Galveston beaches when I lived in Houston because some people told me it’s not worth it due the oil film.

Last edited:
I’d like a full house:

wind, solar, hydro, nuclear and what we have now (with a transition to the other four as they get better).

Right now that’s the winning hand.
That’s where I am and where I think most people with no specific agenda are. There are pros and cons with all forms of energy. As long as we’re not attempting to make a wholesale shift immediately, we’ll be alright.

We know that a lot of carbon spewing industrialization is harming wildlife too, and quite a few other things. So a slow transition to less carbon-intensive energy production seems reasonable.

It goes from stupid post to stupider post, when will it end? Someone needs to find a job and get out from their mother's basement. LOL!!
Mom says to tell you that you wish you could qualify to live in her basement. And that if you could qualify, then you wouldn’t think having a job was a good thing.

What can I say, mom can be a little snobby about the little people sometimes, in her old age. Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickKnight 1
And the kids in tech disciplines usually go to grad school for free and often get paid fellowships. There was a young woman from Manasquan who went to Communications High, majored in physics at Rutgers, and went to Harvard with two or three fellowships.
My niece had the same deal. Went to RU for some biotech thing, then had multiple fellowship offers from Cornell, UNC, Duke, etc. She ended up going to UNC and got her masters and doctorate and got paid to do so.

Reactions: Knight Shift

in the long run, what I really care about is this farce that its free energy. Electric bills will be doubling and tripling the more we move to wind. This isn't "green" like people pretend it is.

We almost had Off shore drilling in NJ until Biden stopped it. Somehow Florida and South Carolina were exempted BY Trump from off shore drilling due to the possibility of oil spills affecting their tourism. No worries about Ocean City and NJ beaches Tourism. Trump always wanted to screw the blue states as his revenge. It took me about 10-15 years to go to the NJ beaches again after the medical syringes scare.

Oil rigs off the Jersey Shore became increasingly unlikely Wednesday when President Joe Biden announced a pause in new oil and gas drilling as part of his efforts to combat climate change.

Biden’s executive orders, signed Wednesday, will block for now former President Donald Trump’s effort to open most of the Atlantic Coast to oil drilling. That was a reversal of President Barack Obama’s decision to keep the Atlantic Coast off limitsthrough at least 2022.

Trump wins in 2024, you get off shore drilling in NJ and the Wind farms. Any oil spill in NJ, you‘ll see a 30% drop in NJ shore tourism. I never went to Galveston beaches when I lived in Houston because some people told me it’s not worth it due the oil film.

Murphy already banned that in 2018, so Joe was only 4 years late as usual.

My niece had the same deal. Went to RU for some biotech thing, then had multiple fellowship offers from Cornell, UNC, Duke, etc. She ended up going to UNC and got her masters and doctorate and got paid to do so.
It's a great thing for these kids and I feel like schools need to keep working on finding better and better ways of dangling this free school thing in front of HS freshmen kids in a way that will register with more kids. Not easy to do sometimes, because the kids aren't often the one's paying tuition so they fail to see the motivation.

Thing is, if they do well enough in a STEM graduate program, they're gonna wind up with reasonably high starting salary and a fair amount of job security. And many will wind up with stock options as well. It's like the *real* golden ticket to the chocolate factory of life.

We need more STEM majors than ever these days. So whatever we can do to promote it is good for the Unites States.

in the long run, what I really care about is this farce that its free energy. Electric bills will be doubling and tripling the more we move to wind. This isn't "green" like people pretend it is.
Sure, but I mean, what isn't over-marketed and over-hyped these days? All politicians are ridiculously over-hyped. All TV shows and movies are over-hyped. All retail sales are over-hyped.

When something isn't being ridiculously over-hyped these days, that's the exception to the rule.

One thing, I disagree about, though. Wind power is pretty green, especially as compared to oil or coal or natural gas. Nothing's perfect, not solar, not nuclear, not wind. But they're probably still better cleaner greener options than petrochemical-based energy, at this point, even with all their imperfections.

Reactions: m1ipabrams
Murphy already banned that in 2018, so Joe was only 4 years late as usual.

Oil rigs can be 25 miles off shore which is actually the domain of the Federal government, Who rules, Federal or state?

Governance of offshore minerals and regulation of development activities are bifurcated between state and federal law. Generally, states have primary authority in the area extending three geographical miles from their coasts. The federal government and its comprehensive regulatory regime govern minerals located under federal waters, which extend from the states’ offshore boundaries to at least 200 nautical miles from the shore.

Trump wins in 2024, your beach front property losses value after the oil bids are awarded. Murphy didn’t make the decision for the wind farms, outside of the 3 mile jurisdiction, that was the Federal government and that’s why they received the $4 billion.

Last edited:

While I agree with your first sentence, my answer above sheds more light on why it may be a false equivalence (or poor whataboutism).

That argument could be turned around to say- so you are saying we should be killing more wildlife?
So it’s okay to kill birds for 50 years but a new industry cannot be started because it will kill birds

The more environmentally conscious party?

No pun intended, but on our drive to Arizona, we went through Oklahoma, and we were blown away by the number of wind turbines along the interstate. Wind turbines along seems like a good place for since there is already highway noise and it may be less of an aesthetic issue?
It will also surprise our lib/leftist/Dem voters that Republicans in both houses of Congress voted for the mid-sixties civil rights acts at a much higher percentage than their Democratic contemporaries. Yet the KKK member President made sure funds were disproportionately sent to buy the inner city POC vote. Johnson bragged that he was "going to guarantee the N*g**r vote" for generations to come. And over fifty years later the urban Blacks vote over 90% for whatever D is put on the ballot. Johnson was a racist scumbag but he sure knew politics.

Do you believe the Rs and Ds are the same parties now as they were then?
No. One used to be the party of elites and big corporations, and the other was the party of the common person. Now that script is flipped, or at least that is what each of their narrative pushing news outlets want you to believe.

No. One used to be the party of elites and big corporations, and the other was the party of the common person. Now that script is flipped, or at least that is what each of their narrative pushing news outlets want you to believe.
So what party is the one of the common person now?

No electrical generation is free. In general, I am not a huge fan of offshore wind as it is by far the most expensive of the renewable options. Production cost of electricity is measure by a factor called LCOE which measure the cost to construct, maintain, produce and shutdown a generator over the course of its expected life. Note that this does not include cost of distribution, administration or any tariffs and taxes.

The cost to produce a megawatt-hour of electricity is about $88 by coal and $71 by natural gas. When compared to the different renewable options you can see that offshore is fairly expense but certainly not double or triple:
Utility solar PV field - $56
Onshore Wind - $50
Offshore Wind - $88

Cost of these technologies do continue to improve and lower the LCOEs however, due to the expensive offshore construction costs, off shore wind seems to be plateauing in recent years and not falling as fast as solar.

Also, there is very little chance that any turbine blades will wind up in a landfill. The alloys used for these are fairly valuable and are recycled at the end of their lives.

No electrical generation is free. In general, I am not a huge fan of offshore wind as it is by far the most expensive of the renewable options. Production cost of electricity is measure by a factor called LCOE which measure the cost to construct, maintain, produce and shutdown a generator over the course of its expected life. Note that this does not include cost of distribution, administration or any tariffs and taxes.

The cost to produce a megawatt-hour of electricity is about $88 by coal and $71 by natural gas. When compared to the different renewable options you can see that offshore is fairly expense but certainly not double or triple:
Utility solar PV field - $56
Onshore Wind - $50
Offshore Wind - $88

Cost of these technologies do continue to improve and lower the LCOEs however, due to the expensive offshore construction costs, off shore wind seems to be plateauing in recent years and not falling as fast as solar.

Also, there is very little chance that any turbine blades will wind up in a landfill. The alloys used for these are fairly valuable and are recycled at the end of their lives.
-1x-1.jpg

The last two remaining coal-fired plants in the Garden State — both in South Jersey — are preparing to cease operation within months, Gov. Phil Murphy’s administration announced last week.

Murphy called the move a “very good step in the right direction” as the state continues to shift away from fossil fuels and toward renewable, or greener, energy sources. The Democratic governor has set a goal of using only carbon-free — or “clean” — energy sources by 2050.

The Atlantic City Electric Company filed a petition to buy out existing power-purchase agreements and end coal generation at its Logan Plant in Swedesboro and the Chambers plant in Carneys Point on or around May 31. The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities approved the petition Wednesday.

Exelon Corp., the company that owns the facilities, said the move could save customers as much as $30 million.

“The modified agreements are great news for the residents of New Jersey because at long last, we are ending coal generation in our state,” BPU President Joseph Fiordaliso said.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I figured they could sink them and use them as artificial reefs
plenty of use for the turbine blades and companies are now reusing them in different ways. I didn’t want to post the 3-4 articles about the companies creative efforts. It‘s a question of economics and cost. The older wind turbines in Europe are now being brought down.

Here’s a major problem. Our solution is to blame China for not taking US plastic garbage.

Laura Leebrick, a manager at Rogue Disposal & Recycling in southern Oregon, is standing on the end of its landfill watching an avalanche of plastic trash pour out of a semitrailer: containers, bags, packaging, strawberry containers, yogurt cups.

None of this plastic will be turned into new plastic things. All of it is buried.

"To me that felt like it was a betrayal of the public trust," she said. "I had been lying to people ... unwittingly."

Rogue, like most recycling companies, had been sending plastic trash to China, but when China shut its doors two years ago, Leebrick scoured the U.S. for buyers. She could find only someone who wanted white milk jugs. She sends the soda bottles to the state.

But when Leebrick tried to tell people the truth about burying all the other plastic, she says people didn't want to hear it.

I remember the first meeting where I actually told a city council that it was costing more to recycle than it was to dispose of the same material as garbage," she says, "and it was like heresy had been spoken in the room: You're lying. This is gold. We take the time to clean it, take the labels off, separate it and put it here. It's gold. This is valuable."

But it's not valuable, and it never has been. And what's more, the makers of plastic — the nation's largest oil and gas companies — have known this all along, even as they spent millions of dollars telling the American public the opposite.

There so much plastic that they now discovered plastic in people blood stream. You wonder why your relative has cancer?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT