ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coming to a beach near you in NJ and NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

It seems like the company doing the install are not the friendliest neighbors either.

Government stupidity at its worst. LOL!
What NJ Government backed project hasn't been a disaster? This is going to be a sh*tshow build of epic proportions. Once that's over and cost over runs are tabulated, wait till people get their energy bills for this boondoggle. People are going to scream bloody murder and it'll be too late. This reminds me of the Simpson episode and Murphy playing the part of the salesman.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

What NJ Government backed project hasn't been a disaster? This is going to be a sh*tshow build of epic proportions. Once that's over and cost over runs are tabulated, wait till people get their energy bills for this boondoggle. People are going to scream bloody murder and it'll be too late.
I believe North Haverbrook is in Bergen County. :)

And agreed.....just going to be another NJ boondoggle.

What NJ Government backed project hasn't been a disaster? This is going to be a sh*tshow build of epic proportions. Once that's over and cost over runs are tabulated, wait till people get their energy bills for this boondoggle. People are going to scream bloody murder and it'll be too late. This reminds me of the Simpson episode and Murphy playing the part of the salesman.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
The funny thing is people think their electric bills will be cheaper because you know,…. wind is free man! They are touting all these green jobs it’s going to produce, who do you think is going to pay all those salaries? Do they think this company from Denmark is investing all this money because they think wind energy is good for the planet? They will make a fortune and the people will foot the bill

Not sure how I missed this. And I didn't read through the 10 pages of comments. But just weighing in to say:

1. This was not done quietly. This was all over the papers and hearing and hearings for years. It started in the Corzine admin and was also supported by Christie. Murphy just got it done. So the OP makes it sound like something sneaky. It was not.

2. If we don't address climate change there won't be any shore views to protect.

3. Having our own source of energy will make NJ more prosperous and self reliant. I'm all for it.
I hope you’re not equating this project with addressing sea level rise and “saving” the shore (#2) because that’s flat out wrong…sea level will continue to rise the rest of this century and that is UNSTOPPABLE even if we go net zero today. Carbon spewed since the industrial revolution is still out there doing it’s damage and we can only truly reduce carbon is china and India get on board…everything else is media-friendly histrionics. Carbon dioxide has a residence time in the atmosphere of centuries compared to water vapor’s 9 days.

Is all of this “green” energy the panacea many hope it is…? stay tuned…but people better get used to a world of rising sea levels, because that reality is coming and it can’t be stopped. Smart places are adapting now and focusing on that first.

The funny thing is people think their electric bills will be cheaper because you know,…. wind is free man! They are touting all these green jobs it’s going to produce, who do you think is going to pay all those salaries? Do they think this company from Denmark is investing all this money because they think wind energy is good for the planet? They will make a fortune and the people will foot the bill

I don't know, Scandinavians are pretty idealistic about environmental initiatives. So probably both.

I hope you’re not equating this project with addressing sea level rise and “saving” the shore (#2) because that’s flat out wrong…sea level will continue to rise the rest of this century and that is UNSTOPPABLE even if we go net zero today. Carbon spewed since the industrial revolution is still out there doing it’s damage and we can only truly reduce carbon is china and India get on board…everything else is media-friendly histrionics. Carbon dioxide has a residence time in the atmosphere of centuries compared to water vapor’s 9 days.

Is all of this “green” energy the panacea many hope it is…? stay tuned…but people better get used to a world of rising sea levels, because that reality is coming and it can’t be stopped. Smart places are adapting now and focusing on that first.

Costal cities across the country are being warned of rising sea levels are projected to rise an additional foot by 2050 due to climate change.
In response, the Ike Dike plan is now part of the Army Corps of Engineers $29 billion plan that calls for massive gates designed to block storm surges and hurricanes from reaching up the Houston Ship Channel.

If Congress funds the project, the feds will pick up 65 percent of the cost with Texas picking up the rest.

In February, a 111-page report issued by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administrationand six other federal agencies said that the U.S. shore will be 10 to 12 inches (0.25 to 0.3 meters) higher, with parts of Louisiana and Texas projected to see waters a foot and a half (0.45 meters) higher.
The eastern Gulf of Mexico should expect 14 to 16 inches (0.35 to 0.4 meters) of sea level rise by 2050 and three moderate sunny-day floods a year.

Last edited:

The fact that some sea level rise is baked in is true. As is some climate change. How much is still very much dependent on how much carbon we emit. If you are interested, this map allows you to see sea level rise projections by year with different future emissions scenarios. It also takes into account luck. Because all of these projections just give some most likely scenarios, and also give some odds on the less likely but still possible scenarios. The tail ends of the probability distribution the 1 in 10 chance scenarios. On one side we have getting lucky and it's not as bad. On the other end we have Armageddon. This is very much playing with the future of humanity and playing with fire.

Keep in mind, sea level rise, and the damage it does directly, is a small part of the overall picture of climate change. It will be food shortages and general destabilization of the world economy. No food. Chaos. Mad Max.

It's true that it will be very difficult to meet emissions reductions targets unless most of the big players are on board. But it's also true true that if everyone waits until everyone is on board, then we a doomed.

The fact that some sea level rise is baked in is true. As is some climate change. How much is still very much dependent on how much carbon we emit. If you are interested, this map allows you to see sea level rise projections by year with different future emissions scenarios. It also takes into account luck. Because all of these projections just give some most likely scenarios, and also give some odds on the less likely but still possible scenarios. The tail ends of the probability distribution the 1 in 10 chance scenarios. On one side we have getting lucky and it's not as bad. On the other end we have Armageddon. This is very much playing with the future of humanity and playing with fire.

Keep in mind, sea level rise, and the damage it does directly, is a small part of the overall picture of climate change. It will be food shortages and general destabilization of the world economy. No food. Chaos. Mad Max.

It's true that it will be very difficult to meet emissions reductions targets unless most of the big players are on board. But it's also true true that if everyone waits until everyone is on board, then we a doomed.
California says hello. LOL. I'm all for carbon-free energy, but there is an awful price of forcing change and going too far too fast.

"California has among the most aggressive climate change policies in the world, including a goal of producing all of its electricity from carbon-free sources by 2045." "In an online briefing with reporters, the officials forecast a potential shortfall of 1,700 megawatts this year, a number that could go as high as 5,000 MW if the grid is taxed by multiple challenges"

Stupid post. Texas East pipeline goes through my town and area. We supported the expansion of it last decade, which happened in 2015'ish. Princeton were the folks that whined about it.

Open up the tabs and drill! We need energy independence ASAP and this is the only option.
Want energy independence ? Get away from fossil fuel dependence and develop renewable energy sources. We are 30 years behind the curve and need to get smarter.

Want energy independence ? Get away from fossil fuel dependence and develop renewable energy sources. We are 30 years behind the curve and need to get smarter.
If we stuck to GWB's energy plan after 9/11 we would have 100% energy independence now. Drill, pump, frac while working on newer energy tech (especially nuclear). That would have been the common sense approach.

Reactions: goru1869
If we stuck to GWB's energy plan after 9/11 we would have 100% energy independence now. Drill, pump, frac while working on newer energy tech (especially nuclear). That would have been the common sense approach.
+1

Do them all while making an effort to get going and better with the newer stuff.

I have solar now and am very pleased.

Too many people here concentrating their comments on the aesthetics of the view from the beach. I'm more concerned that these companies paying billions for lease rights and infrastructure will be guaranteed a profit. The OP mentioned cost to the consumer increased wherever these projects were built. Our energy costs have almost doubled in the last year; these projects could send our electric bills to astronomical levels.

I'd love to know the real cost/benefit of those windmills at the Atlantic County facility off State Hwy 30 on the way into Atlantic City.

Last edited:
+1

Do them all while making an effort to get going and better with the newer stuff.

I have solar now and am very pleased.

Fracking is wonderful, just ask the people in Oklahoma, the totally non-coincidental fracking and earthquake capital of America.

I saw a post online that it was this weekend, though I usually thought it was a week before MDW.
I will look today when I take my Mom out for a ride.

Btw, for you surfers…waves are HUGE these past few days. Not sure how rideable but they are big.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
FYI…no “sign” announcing the opening The Parker House but the regular sign is back in place and they have added some of their own flags hanging between the awnings.

They look very nice. Too nice. Hopefully they bring them in at night because they might find legs.

FYI…no “sign” announcing the opening The Parker House but the regular sign is back in place and they have added some of their own flags hanging between the awnings.

They look very nice. Too nice. Hopefully they bring them in at night because they might find legs.

That area has more law enforcement present than Fort Knox lol.

I wonder if they changed the Uber rules...again...

For such a rich nation filled with so much talent, this thread shows why we can’t make any progress. If we put our minds to it, green energy and clean air would be available in the not too distant future.

instead we bog ourselves down with arguments that make no sense if we look at history. We didn’t worry about how we would continue manufacturing in WW2. We didn’t complain that the moon was too far in the 60’s. We just got behind the initiatives and did them. In 2022 though, putting solar panels on houses, building wind mills, etc has become too hard.

kind of amazing to see how we are the ones holding our own progress back and not anyone else.

For such a rich nation filled with so much talent, this thread shows why we can’t make any progress. If we put our minds to it, green energy and clean air would be available in the not too distant future.

instead we bog ourselves down with arguments that make no sense if we look at history. We didn’t worry about how we would continue manufacturing in WW2. We didn’t complain that the moon was too far in the 60’s. We just got behind the initiatives and did them. In 2022 though, putting solar panels on houses, building wind mills, etc has become too hard.

kind of amazing to see how we are the ones holding our own progress back and not anyone else.
Agreed, we should have been building new nuclear plants for decades. We would now have 100% energy independence, no emissions, etc.

Agreed, we should have been building new nuclear plants for decades. We would now have 100% energy independence, no emissions, etc.
Most of the country is empty land, so I don’t see why we couldn’t do it other than people and politics stopping the build in any way possible.

Reactions: T2Kplus20

Costal cities across the country are being warned of rising sea levels are projected to rise an additional foot by 2050 due to climate change.
In response, the Ike Dike plan is now part of the Army Corps of Engineers $29 billion plan that calls for massive gates designed to block storm surges and hurricanes from reaching up the Houston Ship Channel.

If Congress funds the project, the feds will pick up 65 percent of the cost with Texas picking up the rest.

In February, a 111-page report issued by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administrationand six other federal agencies said that the U.S. shore will be 10 to 12 inches (0.25 to 0.3 meters) higher, with parts of Louisiana and Texas projected to see waters a foot and a half (0.45 meters) higher.
The eastern Gulf of Mexico should expect 14 to 16 inches (0.35 to 0.4 meters) of sea level rise by 2050 and three moderate sunny-day floods a year.
Yet all of our "climate czars" are buying beachfront homes

Most of the country is empty land, so I don’t see why we couldn’t do it other than people and politics stopping the build in any way possible.
Solar destroys the land and is counterproductive. Wind farms are not very efficient yet. How about Urban areas figure out the problem they created before making it rural areas problem to solve. I don't subscribe to the notion that, well since we were first to destroy the land, let's destroy yours so we can meet our cleaner energy needs. Sounds kind of elitist.

Reactions: fsg2
Yet all of our "climate czars" are buying beachfront homes
Texas politicians don’t believe in global warming but they want the Federal government to waste $29 billion to help Houston. Did you see the flooding in Houston? The flooding was over the roof of so many homes but people are still moving there. I lived there before that massive flooding but I saw flooding that I never saw in NJ.

Stop all the federal funding for subsided flood insurance and allow the private insurance provide the flood insurance.

Last edited:
Texas politicians don’t believe in global warming but they want the Federal government to waste $29 billion to help Houston. Did you see the flooding in Houston? The flooding was over the roof of so many homes but people are still moving there. I lived there before that massive flooding but I saw flooding that I never saw in NJ.
Flattest decent size city I’ve been to.

I learned early on in one of my 101 classes while on my way to an Environmental Science degree. Build on a flood plain, guess what, eventually it's going to flood. It may be in a year could be 100 yrs. but it's designated that for a reason. Seemed like a simple premise to me at the time, but now we're shocked when it happens.

I learned early on in one of my 101 classes while on my way to an Environmental Science degree. Build on a flood plain, guess what, eventually it's going to flood. It may be in a year could be 100 yrs. but it's designated that for a reason. Seemed like a simple premise to me at the time, but now we're shocked when it happens.
I agree, we’re trying to protect Houston, New Orleans and Miami at a minimum but we can’t stop the ocean.

Reactions: T2Kplus20

Stop all the federal funding for subsided flood insurance and allow the private insurance provide the flood insurance.
Most people believe in "global warming" the divide is what's causing it and do we have any control over it. I'm with you on the federal funding of flood insurance even though I live on the coast. Not sure why other people should have to subsidize anyone's flood insurance.

Solar destroys the land and is counterproductive. Wind farms are not very efficient yet. How about Urban areas figure out the problem they created before making it rural areas problem to solve. I don't subscribe to the notion that, well since we were first to destroy the land, let's destroy yours so we can meet our cleaner energy needs. Sounds kind of elitist.
Surprisingly, Oklahoma has a ton of wind turbines ---and they have them along interstates and major highways, which kind of makes sense. There is already highway noise to deal with.

Surprisingly, Oklahoma has a ton of wind turbines ---and they have them along interstates and major highways, which kind of makes sense. There is already highway noise to deal with.
How about solar cells over some rail lines?

I think I saw that somewhere elsewhere in the World.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Houston is also the only major city in America without a zoning ordinance. No one is preventing building in areas that flood regularly. Thus the problem. And also why 5 minutes outside of downtown there's McMansions around the block from skyscrapers. Bizzare place.

Houston is also the only major city in America without a zoning ordinance. No one is preventing building in areas that flood regularly. Thus the problem. And also why 5 minutes outside of downtown there's McMansions around the block from skyscrapers. Bizzare place.
And FLAT…roll a ball down there and it doesn’t stop.

HELL YEAH! The dumbass government should have never been involved in flood insurance anyway. Just another thing they royally f'ed up.

Reactions: goru1869
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT