ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coming to a beach near you in NJ and NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about solar cells over some rail lines?

I think I saw that somewhere elsewhere in the World.
I think that over parking garages works nicely too for one level garages and parking lots. One of our large corporate clients did that in their parking lot in California. It's wasted real estate anyway, and parking lots are already not so attractive.

It shows you how much money is to be made by these companies if they are willing to pump millions into getting it passed. So those profits can only come from higher electric bills.

• Love
Reactions: goru1869
So my Wife and I were watching that Letterman interview show, “My Next Guest…” the other day and he was chatting with Julia Louis Dreyfus.

Apparently she lives along the beach in Santa Barbara these days. Good for her.

What I didn’t like is that you could see multiple oil platforms from the beach. Had no idea.

Now I wouldn’t want to choose because I wouldn’t want either of them. But if I had to pick…a windmill doesn’t look too bad.

So what I’m saying is it could be a lot worse.

So my Wife and I were watching that Letterman interview show, “My Next Guest…” the other day and he was chatting with Julia Louis Dreyfus.

What I didn’t like is that you could see multiple oil platforms from the beach. Had no idea.

Now I wouldn’t want to choose because I wouldn’t want either of them. But if I had to pick…a windmill doesn’t look too bad.

I think the eyesore factor is minimal. The high energy costs are going to be more the problem

A bit of a tangent, but for reasons I cannot explain, I never much liked her character in Seinfeld. But then, when she was on Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, she was really very likable. Shouldn't have been surprising I suppose, since she was merely acting in Seinfeld, but somehow it was.

Back on topic, it's that loud final squawk of the birds as they're slammed into by a windmill blade, just offshore, that will be truly disturbing. Kind of like how bug-zappers out by the pool in the backyard were disturbing.

In any event, spin baby, spin.

Santa Barbara is great. One of the few shore places in the continental US I'd say is as good as ours.

For anyone that thinks the government can build/manage a large project:

One of the federal agencies that will decide the fate of a proposed wind energy project off the coast of Ocean City and southern New Jersey has released a 1,400-page study of the potential environmental impact of the offshore wind farm.

A 45-day public comment period will begin on Friday, June 24 and extend through Monday, August 8, 2022.

The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) will review and revise the "Draft Environmental Impact Statement" and consider public feedback as they work to make final recommendations and a decision by April 2023

I haven't seen any yet. A friend has said he's seen them when he takes his boat a few miles out. It shouldn't be long now before the schools of dolphins start their march south.

Reactions: Joey Bags
I haven't seen any yet. A friend has said he's seen them when he takes his boat a few miles out. It shouldn't be long now before the schools of dolphins start their march south.
No whales in the water, but what about on the beach?

Sitting on the beach yesterday i can confirm you don't need visitors from Iowa to be inundated with fatasses.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
Technically speaking it's a fusion reactor.

Anyone else see the news DOE achieved ignition for the first time in a test bed fusion reactor?

Technically speaking it's a fusion reactor.

Anyone else see the news DOE achieved ignition for the first time in a test bed fusion reactor?
True and yep.

If we could figure out nuclear fusion as an efficient viable energy source, that'd be incredible. But everything I've ever read makes it seem a very long way off. Still, achieving ignition, which happened about a year ago I think (and I think they haven't been able to replicate since) is still a sign of some progress, at least.

To respond to the nonsense posts that offshore wind power is expensive compared to other energy sources:

• Wow
Reactions: angmo and newell138
It's what England did to Ireland's forests to build their Navy.
It's what NJ did to it's forests to build it's malls and suburbia. And what my neighbor did to not have so many leaves to rake in the Fall.

It's what NJ did to its forests to build its malls and suburbia. And what my neighbor did to not have so many leaves to rake in the Fall.
If your neighbor took your trees, it would be the same thing.

And there weren't any Harrod's built on the site where the Irish oaks were taken either.

If your neighbor took your trees, it would be the same thing.

And there weren't any Harrod's built on the site where the Irish oaks were taken either.
He actually asked about taking a couple of mine, along our property border. I declined as I like having the trees.

I realize that my decision just makes it super likely that they'll come down in a storm and crush me to death at some point. Because comitragic irony will have it's due. I stood up for them; they'll fall down on me.

Oh well. 🙂

He actually asked about taking a couple of mine, along our property border. I declined as I like having the trees.

I realize that my decision just makes it super likely that they'll come down in a storm and crush me to death at some point. Because comitragic irony will have its due. I stood up for them; they'll fall down on me.

Oh well. 🙂
My late Dad offered that to his neighbor too as his HUGE trees were right over my Parent's skylights in their TV room.

Neighbor declined as well, so far none of the storms have been big enough to knock them over.

It's what NJ did to it's forests to build it's malls and suburbia. And what my neighbor did to not have so many leaves to rake in the Fall.
It’s what most of my neighbors did around the neighborhood. I think they thought a tree might fall on their house.

Anyone see the 60 minute piece on windmills and the worlds largest windfarm in England last night? Residents say their energy bills have doubled and the jobs and everything else promised by Orsted (same company installing the ones off the NJ coast) never came to fruition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT