ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Copa America 2024 Thread

Really bad showing. I think the US lineup was slightly flawed tonight, with Reyna misused. Ref sucked, but the US never played well enough tonight to earn the win. A win would’ve been lucky or gritty, not talented or tactical.

I actually agree with what Lalas just said. The players are talented players but not very talented in their roles on the USMNT.

Lack of depth is a killer. Why is M Robinson not playing?
See, you're warming up to Alexi, lol. But seriously, most of his points were spot on and that one in particular was key, as we clearly have "better" players than in the past, based on almost all of them playing on very good teams in Europe, whereas that wasn't the case 20 or even 10 years ago. But somehow they're not playing great as a team and at the end of the day that's usually a coaching issue. So it's time for a new coach. Klopp anyone?

• Love
Reactions: HPNJRUfan
But nothing has been as bad as "playing on" after pulling out the yellow card, which is not supposed to happen as Machnik explained. If U had scored, I really wonder what would have happened, i.e., could VAR review that? And no yellows yet on U?

But then blowing the whistle for a hand ball 7 seconds after it happened as the ref sees Pulisic about to break away with the ball.

The replay was awful. Ortega is staring at Pulisic and the moment he touches the ball and spins upfield, he blows the whistle.

Consistently awful. LOL.

But then blowing the whistle for a hand ball 7 seconds after it happened as the ref sees Pulisic about to break away with the ball.

The replay was awful. Ortega is staring at Pulisic and the moment he touches the ball and spins upfield, he blows the whistle.

Consistently awful. LOL.
I think the biggest impact was the lack of yellow cards for Urg early. They blunted the US pressure early with egregious fouling. And with no yellows piling up as a consequence they kept doing it.

It took 15 months to pick Greggggg originally. If a new coach is selected that time needs to be cut significantly.

As others have said this is the most talented team ever assembled (and it was mostly assembled with GB insight). It was his team and he coached them right out of contention. When I posted in the Colombia thread that losing that poorly that close to copa was an issue, as told it’s not an issue. He was tinkering with the line up leading into copa. Well this team is not responding to him. Time to move on.

As others have said this is the most talented team ever assembled (and it was mostly assembled with GB insight). It was his team and he coached them right out of contention. When I posted in the Colombia thread that losing that poorly that close to copa was an issue, as told it’s not an issue. He was tinkering with the line up leading into copa. Well this team is not responding to him. Time to move on.
I agree it is time to move on but as I've been critical of GB's results and drama (1 - the needless decision to leak the Reyna effort issue and 2- the ridiculous decision to host that St Paul MN Honduras "hypothermia" match) let's take a moment to credit him for some good things. First and foremost he played a large part in convincing a bunch of dual-national guys who had options elsewhere to rep the US. Balogun, Musah and Tillman are critical pieces for us moving forward, and you have to credit GB for nothing else a good sales effort.

Time for GGG to go. Hire Klopp now.
The name we should be talking about is not Klopp. or Even Pep in my opinion. It is Edin Terzic who has years of experience in shaping and molding young teams into very good teams, and who also has relationships with Pulisic and Reyna. He is young energetic and probably the perfect fit.

See, you're warming up to Alexi, lol. But seriously, most of his points were spot on and that one in particular was key, as we clearly have "better" players than in the past, based on almost all of them playing on very good teams in Europe, whereas that wasn't the case 20 or even 10 years ago. But somehow they're not playing great as a team and at the end of the day that's usually a coaching issue. So it's time for a new coach. Klopp anyone?
Alexi needs to do a real service now and get to the bottom of whether or not that rumor (that since the federation’s ridiculous capitulation the Men’s team coach salary is somehow tied to what they pay the women’s coach) is true or not,

We need to know what is even possible for coaching options.

The name we should be talking about is not Klopp. or Even Pep in my opinion. It is Edin Terzic who has years of experience in shaping and molding young teams into very good teams, and who also has relationships with Pulisic and Reyna. He is young energetic and probably the perfect fit.
Interesting. I like your thinking.

I agree it is time to move on but as I've been critical of GB's results and drama (1 - the needless decision to leak the Reyna effort issue and 2- the ridiculous decision to host that St Paul MN Honduras "hypothermia" match) let's take a moment to credit him for some good things. First and foremost he played a large part in convincing a bunch of dual-national guys who had options elsewhere to rep the US. Balogun, Musah and Tillman are critical pieces for us moving forward, and you have to credit GB for nothing else a good sales effort.
That’s why I gave him credit for assembling the team in my post. He did a horrific job once assembled.

Soccer blows. Top US athletes are playing other sports. Doesn't matter who the coach is or how many times we rearrange the deck chairs. Collectively, we are just not interested in the sport.

I think the issue with this generation of guys is that a lot of them got off to really strong starts early in their careers, but have sort of leveled out and/or not developed at the rate that you'd hope. 3-4 years ago, we were a super young team that had guys playing at many of the top clubs in the world. Now, you've got guys like Reyna fighting for minutes and trying to figure out the next move in his career, Tyler Adams not being able to play enough and trying to figure out his club situation, every one of our GKs either sitting the bench at a good club, or playing at a lower-tier club, Dest leaving Barcelona, and someone like Konrad who 4 years ago was seeing some time for Barcelona, and now gets his minutes in the 2nd tier of Spain (not to mention some of our attackers like Sarge who landed in the Championship, Pepi who had to go back to Holland to find minutes, Aaronson in the Championship, etc).

We're basically a top 15ish team in the world on paper, and we're playing like a top 15ish team. Some of our prior teams were able to get more out of it than the sum of our parts, but this group is getting about what should be expected from the player pool we have at our disposal. You look at those results against top 30 teams, and I see about what I'd expect (though no idea why you'd suddenly exclude Mexico from it as if games against them don't matter, when they really matter the most to me).

Really need guys to work out their club situations in the next 24 months and be playing and developing heading into 2026. There is enough talent there to make some noise (especially at home), but also need to recognize that to do so, we need to stay healthy, get some breaks, and have guys continuing to develop.

Unpopular opinion: USMNT's roster lends itself to a more defensive game (ie: low block & counter).

If you want beautiful soccer, you need special/elite players on offense which we lack.

It took 15 months to pick Greggggg originally. If a new coach is selected that time needs to be cut significantly.
Pretty simple, actually.... you hire the guy who won with this group on the national stage (U20's 2019 made the World Championships Semi-Finals) and should've been hired when GB was "fired" the 1st time: Tab Ramos.

Does anyone know the specifics of the Equal Pay that US Soccer got conned into?

I have heard a few Commentators (Including Kasey Keller) say that we can't go for a high profile coach because that would mean would would also have to bump the pay of the Women's Coach. So paying another coach 1M more than what we pay GGG, would mean having to really pay ~2M, and give the Women's coach an increase. That seems stupid, but i guess possible that we would be limited by that.

I think the issue with this generation of guys is that a lot of them got off to really strong starts early in their careers, but have sort of leveled out and/or not developed at the rate that you'd hope. 3-4 years ago, we were a super young team that had guys playing at many of the top clubs in the world. Now, you've got guys like Reyna fighting for minutes and trying to figure out the next move in his career, Tyler Adams not being able to play enough and trying to figure out his club situation, every one of our GKs either sitting the bench at a good club, or playing at a lower-tier club, Dest leaving Barcelona, and someone like Konrad who 4 years ago was seeing some time for Barcelona, and now gets his minutes in the 2nd tier of Spain (not to mention some of our attackers like Sarge who landed in the Championship, Pepi who had to go back to Holland to find minutes, Aaronson in the Championship, etc).

We're basically a top 15ish team in the world on paper, and we're playing like a top 15ish team. Some of our prior teams were able to get more out of it than the sum of our parts, but this group is getting about what should be expected from the player pool we have at our disposal. You look at those results against top 30 teams, and I see about what I'd expect (though no idea why you'd suddenly exclude Mexico from it as if games against them don't matter, when they really matter the most to me).

Really need guys to work out their club situations in the next 24 months and be playing and developing heading into 2026. There is enough talent there to make some noise (especially at home), but also need to recognize that to do so, we need to stay healthy, get some breaks, and have guys continuing to develop.
Your post is correct but even more of an indictment of Berhalter.

The 15th best team in the world should lose most of the time to teams 1-14, but pull off the occasional upset. They should beat teams 16-30 most of the time, but occasionally get upset.

Under Berhalter, we don’t beat 1-14 ever, and usually lose/draw to any team ranked 16-30 not called Mexico.

Reactions: RuSnp
From what I can see he had a bad year in league for Dortmund standards but had a great Champions League run. I don't follow the Bundesliga very closely though.
As I'm sure you are aware.. Managing in Europe is brutal. What should have been considered a great year in Dortmund was considered subpar from a Bundesliga point of view.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Unpopular opinion: USMNT's roster lends itself to a more defensive game (ie: low block & counter).

If you want beautiful soccer, you need special/elite players on offense which we lack.
We have enough good players to play front foot football. We just have no plan to use that talent effectively. Mckennie having a semi free role as a mf is not effective in creating passing triangles. He has been well off the boil. If Adams is our 6, having twin 8s...Reyna and either Musah or Tillman splitting the sides of the pitch works. Richards and Ream are OK I guess... but scally was awful. We need to find an alternative there. Jedi on the left is great with pulisic down the lw, but less good when there's a winger holding width. Balogun needs early service so he can get the ball with space to move towards goal, not late back post runs. We need a better ball playing keeper than Turner if we are to play out from the back. Pressing needs to be better organized... do we want to man mark or play the zonal game and cut off passing lanes? Having a mix of both leaves us open at the back.

We have enough good players to play front foot football. We just have no plan to use that talent effectively. Mckennie having a semi free role as a mf is not effective in creating passing triangles. He has been well off the boil. If Adams is our 6, having twin 8s...Reyna and either Musah or Tillman splitting the sides of the pitch works. Richards and Ream are OK I guess... but scally was awful. We need to find an alternative there. Jedi on the left is great with pulisic down the lw, but less good when there's a winger holding width. Balogun needs early service so he can get the ball with space to move towards goal, not late back post runs. We need a better ball playing keeper than Turner if we are to play out from the back. Pressing needs to be better organized... do we want to man mark or play the zonal game and cut off passing lanes? Having a mix of both leaves us open at the back.
If you think about what you just wrote, a lot of it supports my theory: Our roster lends itself to a low block and counter strategy.

Whenever we employ a possession strategy against a traditional power, we always get punished by one or two players who aren't world class. This time around, it happens to be Scally and a bloated McKennie.

Jedi & Pulisic need the ball and space to really take advantage of their strengths, which is why they look amazing in transition. Dest as well...

Even Reyna would be enhanced as he has the vision, control, and composure to receive, turn, and distribute quickly.

Our keepers are more the traditional type and not sweeper-keepers who are essential if we want to play higher up the pitch.

I admitted previously: it's not a popular take.

If you think about what you just wrote, a lot of it supports my theory: Our roster lends itself to a low block and counter strategy.

Whenever we employ a possession strategy against a traditional power, we always get punished by one or two players who aren't world class. This time around, it happens to be Scully and a bloated McKennie.

Jedi & Pulisic need the ball and space to really take advantage of their strengths, which is why they look amazing in transition. Dest as well...

Even Reyna would be enhanced as he has the vision, control, and composure to receive, turn, and distribute quickly.

Our keepers are more the traditional type and not sweeper-keepers who are essential if we want to play higher up the pitch.

I actually think Americans (I'm talking about those that tune in every 4 years) would love a high energy counter attacking style.

Does anyone know the specifics of the Equal Pay that US Soccer got conned into?

I have heard a few Commentators (Including Kasey Keller) say that we can't go for a high profile coach because that would mean would would also have to bump the pay of the Women's Coach. So paying another coach 1M more than what we pay GGG, would mean having to really pay ~2M, and give the Women's coach an increase. That seems stupid, but i guess possible that we would be limited by that.
Yeah it seems crazy to pay the men's and women's coaches the same, since the women's coaches have been so much more successful, having won 4 World Cups and 4 Olympic Gold Medals - one would think they'd get far greater pay.

• Haha
Reactions: mosito
Yeah it seems crazy to pay the men's and women's coaches the same, since the women's coaches have been so much more successful, having won 4 World Cups and 4 Olympic Gold Medals - one would think they'd get far greater pay.
Yep...and using the same argument, the Rutgers Soccer coach should be paid more than Schiano since they've won a Big Ten Title recently. Economics and reality be damned in this land of make believe.

Reactions: rurichdog and Kbee3
The US men's national team has a lower chance of hiring a top foreign coach than the Rutgers basketball team does of hiring Danny Hurley.

Does Jesse Marsch deserve an interview with US soccer?

- Record as manager: 72 wins, 32 losses, 44 draws
- Understands US soccer. Played in MLS, earned two national team caps.
- Decent record with Canada after 2 months on job, despite limited resources. Previous Canada manager was successful but quit due to lack of resources. Jesse depends on subsidies from Canada's MLS clubs and donations to fund Canada's national team. Some whine about US Soccer's ability to pay a coach, but we can offer far more than most countries.
- For NJ soccer fans, Jesse could bring more national team games to the state. He went to Princeton and coached Red Bulls, so enjoys New Jersey.

Last edited:
LOL,

Except that when the Women win, FIFA pays USA "Champions: US$4,290,000." "Round of 16 US$1,870,000." (FIFA 2023 world cup)

And when the Men lose, FIFA Pays "Group Stage : 9 Million" , "Quarter finals: $17 million", "Winner: $42 million" (FIFA 2021 world cup)

So at a minimum, the USMNT should be able to pay a Men's coach 2x.

Especially when the MEN have graciously decided to give up their money to subsidize the womens team. Which I applaud that they chose to do that.

You would think the women would be begging for the men to get a better coach they can make more money off the men getting to the Quarter or Semi Finals.

But some people are so close minded.

Whenever we employ a possession strategy against a traditional power, we always get punished by one or two players who aren't world class. This time around, it happens to be Scally and a bloated McKennie.

What I'm saying is the opposite. We have the talent to do it. We just aren't using them properly or have a cohesive game plan to execute. I don't think we are the level of player quality of an Argentina or Brazil, but man for man, we stack up pretty decently against the best of the rest in Copa America.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT