ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cord cutters, Directv Now vs Sling

ClassOf02

Heisman Winner
Sep 30, 2010
I'm considering switching to Directv Now, but have read mixed reviews about its performance (i.e. buffering). Anyone with experience I'd love to hear you thoughts. Sling's performance seems to be better, but they don't have 1) BTN and 2) all the national network channels where Directv Now does.

With Direct TV I don't have any buffering issues but the app on Fire TV is disappointing. Every time I go to switch channels it either takes forever or just crashes. I have access to the beta which includes DVR and it runs a little better but still slow. Once a show is playing it runs great. The BTN is a little weird as it doesnt necessarily play the local regional broadcast and there's no overflow.

I'm considering switching to Directv Now, but have read mixed reviews about its performance (i.e. buffering). Anyone with experience I'd love to hear you thoughts. Sling's performance seems to be better, but they don't have 1) BTN and 2) all the national network channels where Directv Now does.
All of them have free trials. Spend a month on using the free trial of each of them. I have tried trials of all of them and DirectTV has the most cable like experience.

With Direct TV I don't have any buffering issues but the app on Fire TV is disappointing. Every time I go to switch channels it either takes forever or just crashes. I have access to the beta which includes DVR and it runs a little better but still slow. Once a show is playing it runs great. The BTN is a little weird as it doesnt necessarily play the local regional broadcast and there's no overflow.

I’ll second this for DirectTV Now. I use a fire stick and have the same issue. The app will crash 90% of the time you switch channels. But the quality of the streams are near perfect, and I’ve been using it for about 6 months now. The on demand has the same issue as well where you have to try playing it twice for it to start working.

The frustrations are worth it if you are getting a special price ($10/month for about 60 channels with an ATT unlimited plan), but if you are paying full price, I would probably look elsewhere. Or try and find out if it’s just a FireTV/Firestick issue and use some other device that is more compatible.

Hulu.

We cut the cord in September, got the fire stick, tried sling on trial and didn’t like it, Hulu had the much better lineup. Has all the local channels (sports included), BTN, Espn, fs1, etc along with your abc, nbc, Fox, cbs, etc so all the nfl games you would get on cable you still get. Has DVR included for $39 a month. Cut $110 off my comcast bill so I’m up $70 a month. Not a bad stream bc we have good internet. It will buffer once (maybe once every 30-40 minutes) in a while for a second or two but to save $70 a month that’s worth it to me...
take it for what it’s worth

I’ll second this for DirectTV Now. I use a fire stick and have the same issue. The app will crash 90% of the time you switch channels. But the quality of the streams are near perfect, and I’ve been using it for about 6 months now. The on demand has the same issue as well where you have to try playing it twice for it to start working.

The frustrations are worth it if you are getting a special price ($10/month for about 60 channels with an ATT unlimited plan), but if you are paying full price, I would probably look elsewhere. Or try and find out if it’s just a FireTV/Firestick issue and use some other device that is more compatible.

We had Sony PS Vue on the FireTV app, and we went back to FIOS. It just seemed slow to respond and we did not like the interface.

The other annoying thing is that live games seemed to be at least 30 seconds behind live TV. Reading game threads here and receiving texts from friends during games was interesting.

Same here regarding price. I'm grandfathered into the 100 channel $35 plan from launch otherwise I would cancel.

hmm.. I see all this talk of the fire stick to deliver this app.. has anyone tried it on a more powerful device?

Try it on a powerful android phone (or for those who know how to install an APK download the app that way and try it on a chromebook or an android TV box and see if it performs better than on the firestick. Also.. does the firestick have an option to hardwire its internet access or is it just wifi? I know chromecast ulta can have external power and network connection.

So that is where I would look for speed issues.. the hardware you are using.. the power the stick can pull from where it is plugged in and maybe a weak wifi signal or a router that doesn't provide much bandwidth.

If the app performs well on a premium android phone then that probably will tell you the problem is hardware related more than software.

I cut the cord from Optimum and have Playstation Vue and Sling Orange. That combo filled in all the gaps for me (except MSG). Saving over $130 per month over cable. Plus now I use my Netflix, Prime and free Hulu accounts more. I have an Apple TV and Firesticks, but watch alot via the iPad and MacBook Pro. I don't think I would ever go back to cable/Fios.

Reactions: ruhobbs
I was preparing to downgrade my FIOS triple play to internet only and go with one of these services as my intro pricing ($155 for 3 STB/DVR Ultimate TV lineup plus Showtime, 75/75 internet) was set to expire in March. Then I noticed on my bill this month that they extended all my discounts for a year without me having to ask. So I think I will wait a year before making any changes. I think they are finally being proactive with their retention strategies in face of all the cord cutting.

I'm using YouTube TV for $35 a month with free DVR included. It also resumes shows you watch and stop watching at that moment. Any movies on cable channels are also on demand with very limited commercials (2 minutes tops). Youtube Red is also included. Depends what you are looking for, but I need live sports (BTN and ESPN) and this gives me what I want. Best part is cancel anytime, so I may cancel for a few months in the summer time. I also have an antenna hooked up so I get all of the main stations for free and in clear HD.

YouTube_Channels.jpg

I'm sharing Direct Now with my son so for $17 bucks I'm pretty happy. I've had more issue with my Apple TV remote than anything.

I don't get any buffering issues but I will get a bit fuzzy resolution on high demand events....and NBC just sucks on its channels...that is the only one that locks up (and if you google reviews they are like 1/2 star).

I recently switched from COmcast to FIOS as well and made a huge increase in capacity. Bill went from $220 (Direct TV/Comcast) to $57 (Direct Now/Fios).

If nothing else, these services are definitely putting competitive pressure on the cable companies.

Also if you do cord cutting using the savings and invest in a high quality router. You will have far fewer problems and better experience with one.

Reactions: RUnTeX
FastMJ - While I'm sure that is true, I got a notice a month or so ago from DirecTV saying that my price was going up. I'm already paying around $140 a month to have the Genie in 5 rooms (no premium channels). I couldn't believe in this environment they would be looking to increase prices to customers, especially longtime ones who are also ATT mobile subscribers. I'm close to cutting the cord it's just a matter of when not if.

Reactions: RUseaweed
I was preparing to downgrade my FIOS triple play to internet only and go with one of these services as my intro pricing ($155 for 3 STB/DVR Ultimate TV lineup plus Showtime, 75/75 internet) was set to expire in March. Then I noticed on my bill this month that they extended all my discounts for a year without me having to ask. So I think I will wait a year before making any changes. I think they are finally being proactive with their retention strategies in face of all the cord cutting.

I forget the exact numbers, but we were paying for the Gigabit connection, and $44.99/month for PS VUE. Is was about $140/month when all the taxes kicked in. Verizon offered a cable package that included the BTN and all the other sports channels we wanted for $141/month with 1 STB. We bought a HD Home Run device and rent a cable card for $5/month, and the HD Home Run lets us watch FIOS on up to 3 devices simultaneously. We have that hooked up through Amazon Fire TV, and all of our TVs in the house are hooked to Cable. It is the best of all worlds for us.

If nothing else, these services are definitely putting competitive pressure on the cable companies.

It will take time to truly affect the cable companies.

10 years ago the youngins were the 1st not to have a true land line at home. Even now many people still have a land line.

The over 40 crowd is not going to be so quick to cute cable tv that they grew up on and have depended on for their entire lives.

it will probably take another 5-10 years for the service to get better and for the Millennials to get into their 30s and become the main consumer marketplace. They don't have the buying power yet.

Reactions: RUhasarrived
FastMJ - While I'm sure that is true, I got a notice a month or so ago from DirecTV saying that my price was going up. I'm already paying around $140 a month to have the Genie in 5 rooms (no premium channels). I couldn't believe in this environment they would be looking to increase prices to customers, especially longtime ones who are also ATT mobile subscribers. I'm close to cutting the cord it's just a matter of when not if.
It’s a pain, but if you call them and tell them you’re canceling due to the increase (be firm and ready to call their bluff), there is a very good chance you can get the to retain your current deal or perhaps even land a better one.

I forget the exact numbers, but we were paying for the Gigabit connection, and $44.99/month for PS VUE. Is was about $140/month when all the taxes kicked in. Verizon offered a cable package that included the BTN and all the other sports channels we wanted for $141/month with 1 STB. We bought a HD Home Run device and rent a cable card for $5/month, and the HD Home Run lets us watch FIOS on up to 3 devices simultaneously. We have that hooked up through Amazon Fire TV, and all of our TVs in the house are hooked to Cable. It is the best of all worlds for us.
Does that $141/month include taxes and fees? Do you still get gigabit data speed?

Does that $141/month include taxes and fees? Do you still get gigabit data speed?
Yes, for the Extreme TV package and 1 STB, Showtime free for 1 year, including the $5/month for the cable card, which gets the same package on 3 more TVs in the house. But like Sling, PSVue, etc., your results may vary. We just renovated the house and ran Cat 6E wires to all rooms that have TVs, and our FireTV devices have wired connections.

10 years ago the youngins were the 1st not to have a true land line at home. Even now many people still have a land line.

The over 40 crowd is not going to be so quick to cute cable tv that they grew up on and have depended on for their entire lives.

it will probably take another 5-10 years for the service to get better and for the Millennials to get into their 30s and become the main consumer marketplace. They don't have the buying power yet.
Since I'm 59 and I cut the cable cord recently and took the landline out 10+ years ago I guess I'll consider myself hip. Lol

Does one need antenna on the roof for Direct TV (landlord doesn't allow)?-I need to get at least an Internet package for high speed internet for my career search.

I had to cut my cord years ago when in foreclosure process.

My $0 monthly solution-My original solution was a 9 inch! TV (Phillips) I bought in the Piscataway Wally for $110. Was gonna similar the fall and buy big 4K on Black Friday but finances killed that.

For anyone that can live with only the 3-4 major networks after an October home game in Wally Piscataway I ran into a 1080 $90 19 inch RCA (manufactured by else) that came with a cigarette lighter plug that will allow me to use the TV outdoors (think tailgating).

I coupled the above with t top rated Leaf Mohu antenna (50 mile range=suburbs. The antenna is flat and though its REAL tough to get 2 (CBS), 4 (NBC) 5 (FOX) and 7 (ABC) et al AT ONCE-I can move the antenna if needed to pick up the station you want. I also get 20+ other channels including
NJTV/PBS, 9, 11, Cozi, yada.

Without high speed internet (right now I piggyback Cicso router connection for free)

Initial investment $140
Monthly (cable) cost $0

Picture quality-INCREDIBLE 4K-like when perfect (for NO COST)-and I was someone who has/had sights on top rated Samsungs/LGs.

Looking at your posts as I'd like to have YES (Yankees), B1G Network, CNBC, The Weather Channel, and the Discovery Channel, ESPN/2 and perhaps Animal Planet.

BTW I'm in North Plainfield on a multitenant apartment sandwiched on the 2nd floor. Supposedly my only cable choices are Verizon or XFinity. Landlord won't allow antennas.

Can someone recommend a sturdy outdoor roof mounted antenna (not plastic) they have used successfully to get Local New York Broadcast Channels.

I live in Morris County about 35 miles from New York City.

79, is there a reason for needing an outdoor antenna vs indoor antenna like my Leaf (above)? I can't be sandwiched more than I am, have old antennas below, a fire escape, yada. My Leaf is pretty tough-supposedly materials used in the mllitary) and its so light I secure with Duck tape. Everyone who has seen my $89 TV is amazed by the picture quality.

it will probably take another 5-10 years for the service to get better

I think it is the "years for the service to get better" that's the bigger obstacle. I'm in my 50's, so I grew up pre-cableTV and pre-VCR. When I was a kid, you watched what was on, when it was on, that you could get from from your roof antenna. I have no problem switching technologies, and neither do any of my friends who are my age.

When I moved into my home, I had DirecTV at a time that DirecTV didn't offer OTA channels, so I have an attic antenna that is still hooked up.

Today I have cable and a DVR. plus I stream movies. Although my attic antenna is still hooked up, I watch local channels via cable instead of via antenna, even though the picture quality from the antenna is noticeably better, and the OTA channels have a ton of subchannels. There are two reasons for this: (a) Ease of interface. I can switch from a cable channel to a local channel via cable just by changing the channel. Switching to an local channel via antenna requires additional actions to change the input on my TV. Not a big deal, but a slight additional inconvenience. (b) DVR capabilities. Cable TV comes through my DVR which allows me to record, pause, and rewind/FF live TV. I don't have that capability with channels I watch via antenna.

Last time I looked at streaming TV, a few years ago, the interfaces were very clunky, and DVR capabilities were only via cloud, also with clunky interfaces. At this point in my life, I'm more interested in convenience than saving a few bucks.

For me to seriously consider cutting the cord, I would need to see improved interfaces to make it as easy to switch between antenna and streaming channels as just switching a channel. And I would want DVR capabilities for antenna and streaming channels, with the same easy interface I see now. Less necessary today, but ultimately needed, is the easy interface to search for and watch on-demand content (i.e., movies and TV shows and sports not airing live on a channel), voice control remote, and the ability to stream local DVR recordings to other devices (e.g., ability to record a program from the antenna and stream it to my phone or laptop for viewing).

From what I can tell, this capability doesn't exist, although the technology certainly exists. If I were to build a set-top box to achieve what I am looking for, it would be a STB with inputs for an antenna, internet (ethernet + wifi), plus potentially additional inputs for other devices like blu-ray player or even cable TV if I want. The STB would include storage for recorded programs received from any of the inputs (and the capability to play recorded programs to other devices via internet). I would be able to select my preferred streaming service, allowing me to have multiple services, or switch services without replacing hardware. It would have an clean, easy-to-use interface that can be customized at least to the point that it knows that when I want to watch CBS that I want to watch it via antenna and when I want to watch ABC I want to watch it via Hulu. It would have a voice remote, plus the ability to interface with home assistants like Alexa and Google Home. Plus it would have an IR repeaters, so when I use voice to tell it to lower volume, it can send the signal via IR remote to my TV or sound system that lacks appropriate other interfaces and also tell my Blu-Ray player to pause or play.

As I said, the technology exists for all of that. But as far as I can tell, the product does not exist.

We had Sony PS Vue on the FireTV app, and we went back to FIOS. It just seemed slow to respond and we did not like the interface.

The other annoying thing is that live games seemed to be at least 30 seconds behind live TV. Reading game threads here and receiving texts from friends during games was interesting.
All of these streaming services are 30-90 seconds behind for live TV due to latency...transcoding takes time. Supposedly, some international streaming companies have cut the latency considerably, but I don't see it here yet.

It's more about ease of use and convenience, like Upstream posted. I'd rather not have a worse user experience and more headaches and delayed or laggy streams, just to save a few bucks.

Reactions: Knight Shift
All of these streaming services are 30-90 seconds behind for live TV due to latency...transcoding takes time. Supposedly, some international streaming companies have cut the latency considerably, but I don't see it here yet.

It's more about ease of use and convenience, like Upstream posted. I'd rather not have a worse user experience and more headaches and delayed or laggy streams, just to save a few bucks.

I agree but look at some consumer habits.

When I go to CVS or QuickChek I tap my card to pay while many consumers prefer to swipe or insert still.

When I go to some lunch places in NYC I use the Level Up up and a QR code to pay while many consumers are still more comfortable with cash or physical credit cards.

When ATMs 1st came out there was a segment of the population that refused to use them and still went to bank tellers.

When people receive physical checks many still go to the bank to deposit them while some of the more tech savvy will use apps on their phone to deposit them.

It may be partially the user experience and the latency mentioned but it is also habits that have been developed over the years.

It’s a pain, but if you call them and tell them you’re canceling due to the increase (be firm and ready to call their bluff), there is a very good chance you can get the to retain your current deal or perhaps even land a better one.

I just did that last month with Directv when my bill went from $90 to $125 per month because the discounts expired. I had no intention of canceling but told them i was going to and they reduced my bill to $60 per month and threw in free HBO.

I just did that last month with Directv when my bill went from $90 to $125 per month because the discounts expired. I had no intention of canceling but told them i was going to and they reduced my bill to $60 per month and threw in free HBO.
so funny because that was exactly my scenario and the dopes wouldn't do anything...until after I officially canceled ....even though I warned them, when I go I'm gone. Of course I got calls the next day. Same thing for Comcast....the offshore agents don't get it and then it comes back to mainland to try and save the customer. oh well. Their loss and my gain.

Reactions: FastMJ
so funny because that was exactly my scenario and the dopes wouldn't do anything...until after I officially canceled ....even though I warned them, when I go I'm gone. Of course I got calls the next day. Same thing for Comcast....the offshore agents don't get it and then it comes back to mainland to try and save the customer. oh well. Their loss and my gain.
Same thing happened to me two years ago with Comcast. Now I’m with FIOS and reasonably happy.

Picture quality-INCREDIBLE 4K-like when perfect (for NO COST)-and I was someone who has/had sights on top rated Samsungs/LGs.

This is something I find shocking about the cable companies.

I have played with OTA broadcasts vs Cable company feeds of the major networks and the OTA broadcast is SUPERIOR quality. A few times I noticed OTA was 1080i (or p) while the cable company version was 720p... on a big TV it is extremely noticeable.

I would also imagine the upscaling to 4K done by some devices and TVs would benefit greatly from the better OTA feed.

And this reveals another negative about the cablecos. They RESISTED government requirements for HD broadcast standards for years... same for the major networks. They had all this public airspace in their old frequencies that they needed for the old tech to not overlap and ghost image in broadcasts.. old folk here probably know what I am talking about.. from the days when everyone had outdoor antennas.

So HD TV was coming out all over the world and the USA was sucking hind teat because the networks would lose frequency bandwidth and not much was needed for the new tech to send a superior image. They got the bandwidth for free to provide "a public service"... and they knew if they got to use the whole bandwidth they could turn one "channel" into multiple channels.. or resell their excess bandwidth for other purposes.

So what do they do? They don't promise to use that bandwidth to deliver the best possible picture. They use a portion of it to deliver some minimal signal that can be called HD and use the rest for shopping channels and infomercials and other stuff. The cable companies follow suit.. even compressing the high quality broadcasts that some networks like CBS provided for sports so they could use their bandwidth to make more money.

And now some cablecos have bought networks and content creators and have fought net neutrality.. and extremely anti-competition move which should result in anti-trust actions against them.

Cutting the Cord might be the best way to punish these asshats.

I agree but look at some consumer habits.

When I go to CVS or QuickChek I tap my card to pay while many consumers prefer to swipe or insert still.

When I go to some lunch places in NYC I use the Level Up up and a QR code to pay while many consumers are still more comfortable with cash or physical credit cards.

When ATMs 1st came out there was a segment of the population that refused to use them and still went to bank tellers.

When people receive physical checks many still go to the bank to deposit them while some of the more tech savvy will use apps on their phone to deposit them.

It may be partially the user experience and the latency mentioned but it is also habits that have been developed over the years.

I'm not sure how much of that has to do with consumer habits vs consumer knowledge. For example, I don't use tap-and-pay with my credit card, because my credit cards don't have that capability. I would have to call each credit card company and specifically ask for tap-and-pay cards. I have no inclination to go through that effort, since I didn't think there was any advantage to tap-and-pay vs insert or slide. But when I looked on my credit card webpage to find out how to get a tap-and-pay card I discovered that tap-and-pay offered the security of a chip with a payment processing time that is twice as fast. I had no idea. Now that I know that tap-and-pay is faster then inserting a chip and more secure than swiping, I may call my credit card companies and request compatible cards. But making that call is still a hassle.

Some of it is that user interfaces for a lot of the automation is very clunky. And if it has been improved, the app providers do a crappy job letting consumers know that the app has been improved. For example, a few years ago, I tried to deposit a check by taking a picture from my cell phone. It was much more hassle than depositing it next time I was near an ATM. If the app is better and the user experience is better, that hasn't been communicated to me. Another example, a few years ago I installed the Panera app on my phone so I could order and pay in advance and not have to wait on line at Panera. The app sucked, especially if I was trying to customize an order. I solved the problem by going elsewhere instead of Panera. The app is still on my phone and has been updated. The only description of the updates is "bug fixes". Maybe the app is better. I have no idea and no incentive to find out. You would think that at the very least Panera would send me an email saying that I used to go there all the time and they haven't seen me in 3 years ... here's what's new.

I'm not sure how much of that has to do with consumer habits vs consumer knowledge. For example, I don't use tap-and-pay with my credit card, because my credit cards don't have that capability. I would have to call each credit card company and specifically ask for tap-and-pay cards. I have no inclination to go through that effort, since I didn't think there was any advantage to tap-and-pay vs insert or slide. But when I looked on my credit card webpage to find out how to get a tap-and-pay card I discovered that tap-and-pay offered the security of a chip with a payment processing time that is twice as fast. I had no idea. Now that I know that tap-and-pay is faster then inserting a chip and more secure than swiping, I may call my credit card companies and request compatible cards. But making that call is still a hassle.

Some of it is that user interfaces for a lot of the automation is very clunky. And if it has been improved, the app providers do a crappy job letting consumers know that the app has been improved. For example, a few years ago, I tried to deposit a check by taking a picture from my cell phone. It was much more hassle than depositing it next time I was near an ATM. If the app is better and the user experience is better, that hasn't been communicated to me. Another example, a few years ago I installed the Panera app on my phone so I could order and pay in advance and not have to wait on line at Panera. The app sucked, especially if I was trying to customize an order. I solved the problem by going elsewhere instead of Panera. The app is still on my phone and has been updated. The only description of the updates is "bug fixes". Maybe the app is better. I have no idea and no incentive to find out. You would think that at the very least Panera would send me an email saying that I used to go there all the time and they haven't seen me in 3 years ... here's what's new.

I totally agree with much of what you said. 1 bad early experience can lead to not using a product or service. The tap and pay cards are very fast to save you time exiting the store. Plus without inserting or swiping you don't risk damaging the card or strip. I find the bank check deposit apps have improved. Sometimes there will be issues and I will need to go to the bank but mostly it will be because the writer of the check did so with poor writing or the background on the check was not good.

Don't forget Pay pal and Venmo as newer technologies for transferring money. if a 70 year old relative of mine needed to give me money they would send a check while a 20-something relative would probably use pay pal.

For your Panera scenario I totally get it. Chase offers Chase Pay at some of their retail clients where you can use your Chase App to pay with a QR screen. Level Up is not dependent on any bank where any debit or credit card can be attached. the Level up transactions are faster than the tap to pay cards. The big winners here will be supermarkets that tend to attract lines more so than traditional retailers. I still see people writing checks at the supermarket.

Circling back to cutting the cord ----
The online ala carte services liek You Tube, Hulu, NetFlix, Amazon prime, Sling, DirecTV, and eventually the cable companies will provide the opportunity to watch your channels anywhere on any device.

worst remote ever made....can't put it in your pocket, it's slips so easily into the cushions, the one button, I could go on.

Directvnow works great on Apple TV. rarely if ever buffers. Buffers a lot on my gf's Firestick. Not sure if the newer firestick works any better.

yeah its the darn remote I hate....

worst remote ever made....can't put it in your pocket, it's slips so easily into the cushions, the one button, I could go on.

Directvnow works great on Apple TV. rarely if ever buffers. Buffers a lot on my gf's Firestick. Not sure if the newer firestick works any better.
have a Roku in the guest room...(and a Roku Smart TV)...no issues there. The Apple remote is just so sensitive with that swipe field that you breath near it and it does something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT