ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Divorce atty. recommendations

NorthJersey

Freshman
Sep 11, 2014
Well this just came out of nowhere last week. Wife moved out and said she needed to find herself. I think it's time she finds herself holding a divorce filing.

Anyone have a good divorce attorney roccomendation in Northern NJ?

Sorry to hear - I think. Not too much experience here, though best friend went through a NJ divorce. I believe a lot depends on how long you've been married. Be careful though - in his divorce I'd say the lawyers walked away with about 25% of the marital assets. At least that's what it seemed like.

Thanks.

Assets are all protected in trusts, this would be a fairly painless filing, I believe. I'm sure the lawyers will want to make it as painful as possible.

Why not just talk it out and come to an agreement then? Seems a lot less costly than litigating.

Reddit has a couple of subreddits that can help you on what you should do better than most on this board. Try...
reddit.com/r/relationships and reddit.com/r/legaladvice
This post was edited on 2/10 12:41 PM by anvilofstars

With the emotions running so high right now, I'm not sure there is a clear thought process going on. Have to be ready in case..

sorry ,but those (her's) words usually mean something else

Originally posted by NorthJersey:
Well this just came out of nowhere last week. Wife moved out and said she needed to find herself. I think it's time she finds herself holding a divorce filing.

Don't mean to laugh, but that's a good line. lol

Good luck, dude.

First of all, sorry to hear that and best of luck to you for the best outcome over the long run.

Call me skeptical or overly suspicious or whatever, but maybe take the money you'd spend on a lawyer and put it towards a private investigator to see if she's "finding herself" already with someone else. Could help down the road.

Not an expert, but in your shoes I would feel it was a bit too early to file for divorce....unless there was a history of events leading up to her departure. Other things that might factor into the decision is how long your relationship has been and do you have children and how much in joint assets.

"Finding Herself" could mean a number of things. Everything from a personal/emotional crisis, to needing space/time, to someone else. If you can manage to remove the emotion for yourself and have a discussion with her to find some honest answers.....you'll probably end up making a better decision for yourself.

Make sure you protect yourself and good luck.

The quicker you can move on the better. Life is too short for nonsense and drama.

Consult with as many divorce attorneys as you can. Thus, when it comes time for your ex to find an attorney, they will all be conflicted from representing her.

My divorce attorney was Vikki Zeigler in Livingston. Good luck.

Originally posted by irishflu92:

Consult with as many divorce attorneys as you can. Thus, when it comes time for your ex to find an attorney, they will all be conflicted from representing her.

My divorce attorney was Vikki Zeigler in Livingston. Good luck.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

The old "Tony Soprano" strategy.

Originally posted by RU4Real:

Originally posted by RUInsanity:

"Finding Herself" could mean a number of things.
Yeah, no...

It pretty much only means one thing.
I realize that is what it most likely means. However my point still stands....cool down, gather facts, make the best decision.

just went down that road . I am also in north jersey and if you want to talk about it I will make myself available. Just say where and when In a divorce cheap is not always better

Very sorry to hear this. This is a really a bad deal, especially if you have kids. I unfortunately went through this myself a year and a half ago. It is important to file as soon as possible because it puts a timestamp on all financial manuvering; so she can't just go out and buy herself a trip to Paris and pay for it out of your joint bank account (right now if she did that, that wouldn't count as half of her assets). That is probably the most important thing.

On divorce attorneys, they just back up the truck and try to suck you dry. The more acrimony you want, the better for their billable hours. As a man in a divorce (presuming you have kids), great attorneys don't add too much on the margins v. average attorneys unless you own significant assets or run a business that you built jointly. The divorce laws in this area are skewed to the woman and a great lawyer can't change that.

That being said, sometimes you have to go through some shitty times in life and must do what you must do. Give her hell, maybe she''ll wake up.

Not an expert, but in your shoes I would feel it was a bit too early to file for divorce....unless there was a history of events leading up to her departure. Other things that might factor into the decision is how long your relationship has been and do you have children and how much in joint assets.

"Finding Herself" could mean a number of things. Everything from a personal/emotional crisis, to needing space/time, to someone else. If you can manage to remove the emotion for yourself and have a discussion with her to find some honest answers.....you'll probably end up making a better decision for yourself.
she's saying she either already cheated and met another guy, or has the intention of doing so. She's not going to find enlightenment.
This post was edited on 2/10 1:29 PM by Rokodesh

I am a T&E lawyer. You should be aware that having assets "in trust" does not necessarily mean they are unavailable to the spouse, that they would not be counted for purposes of equitable distribution, or that the trust could not be pierced. For example, you may have assets in a Delaware asset protection trust that your spouse cannot pierce, but the NJ divorce judge may count those assets when figuring out her equitable share. If that happens, you really haven't accomplished what you wanted to.

Consult your trust attorney ASAP. Like before you tip your hand that you are going to file. If your trust attorney is not in fact a trust/tax attorney (ie the bulk of their practice is T&E work), you should find one, again ASAP. If you need a divorce lawyer recommendation, and have significant assets, I would spend a lot of time researching credentials and career history. Do not take a recommendation from a lay person, find a well-qualified female attorney whose practice is focused on divorce. There are many in the Morristown/Roseland area. You can find her at a mid- to large sized firm.

Break Glass Only when the gloves need to come off.....there is no halfway with this one.

Lydia Keephart

100 Nassau Park Blvd.
Suite 111
Princeton, NJ 08540
609-520-0900

lkeephart@pralaw.com

Sorry to hear this, but I think your thinking is correct. One tactic to consider: If you file, file out of area, with an attorney in that county. That way, if it does go to court (and you're better off if it doesn't, but just in case), you have something of a home-field advantage.

For instance: when I filed, I had been living in Union County. When I left my marital home, I established residency in Mercer County (I don't recall if establishing residency is required to file in that county, but I think so), contracted with a divorce attorney there, and filed. We were able to work it out between our respective attorneys without a trial, but if it had, it would've been in Mercer County, where my lawyer already had an established rapport with the judge(s). That's no guarantee of success, but it can tilt the scales in your favor just a bit.

Regardless, good luck and stay strong. You'll get lots of good tips on this board.

try David Carton in west orange. Mandelbaum Salsburg, PC

He's a Certified Matrimonial Law attorney and also a mediator, expert in family, argued cases in front of NJ supreme court, etc.. Smart cookie, knows how to keep you out of court and get the settlement done.

was very happy w/ my settlement (when compared to others). if it comes down to divorce do your best to check out of the emotions and treat this like a contract negotiation with your biggest customer.

And hang in there. life will get better. Best of luck.

Is that the same as Mandelbaum Gold who represented me, for a time, about 8 years ago?

Dude; her saying that is like a guy saying I just need some time to re-evalute my life right now. Meaning my mid-life crisis has kicked in and this chick online is looking mighty inviting right now.

Save your money, and have the courts do the leg work. Go to the local court, and file for desertion on her part. Might take a little longer, but same results. With you keeping everything.

North Jersey, What county are you in?

Anyone but mine!

Avoid: DiFrancesco, Bateman, Coley, Yospin, Kunzman, Davis, Lehrer & Flaum, P.C (in Warren)

Also:
Don't get angry because it's a waste of time and stomach lining.
Negotiate as much up front with an arbitrator, the court will make you do it as first step anyway.
If she wants something sentimental, give it to her.
Take the high road always.

Any help I can offer... OldRaritan at yahoo
This post was edited on 2/10 2:44 PM by B1GRU91

Better call Saul.

But seriously, sorry to hear this. No chance at reconciliation?

North Jersey, sorry to hear about your situation. I went through the same thing 8 years ago and in fact am STILL tied up in NJ family courts today! I have learned way more about how the family courts work in NJ than I ever hoped to. I am very involved with trying to reform the family courts here in NJ which are still very pro woman even though we have had no fault for over twenty years. I will try to give you some nuggets of wisdom to help you through this difficult time.

1) Stay away from Big Firms- Firms like Cutler, Simeone, Riker Danzig and other Big Firms are billing machines. You can do better with a smaller sole practitioner.

2) Be sure to interview several Lawyers in the county which your your case is being heard.

3) Remember, Your Lawyer is NOT your friend. Hold them accountable.

4) If you see your Lawyer is too chummy with the adversary's attorney. Monitor the relationship very carefully. I have seen too friendly lawyers do some severe economic damage to the divorcing couples finances.

5) DO NOT SIGN ANY AGREEMENT UNTIL YOU ARE 100% SATISFIED. A divorce decree is a legal contract and almost impossible to change after the fact. I found this out the hard way. DO NOT SIGN THE FINAL DECREE UNTIL YOU CAN LIVE WITH EVERYTHING IN IT.

6) Divorce is like chess, you have to figure out different strategies five six seven moves in advance. You have to look at your divorce 5, 10, 15 years down the road.

This is just a short list. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

The Tony Soprano game of interviewing multiple attorneys doesn't fly in NJ anymore. And i'd recommend that you ask a bunch of friends and colleagues for recommendations rather some well intended anonymous posters.

I'll second that you can not count on a trust being excluded from the
consideration of the division of assets. You need to talk the trust's
atty or a trust atty when you put your plan together. Also, you don't
want stuff. Give stuff. Take money. Don't take the house. Take the money. Settle as much as you can in arbitration and ALWAYS ask about how much the lawyer is charging and how much time each of their of their preparations should take.

You didn't mention kids, but if you have them do what is right by them. Let them stay in the house with their mother and live close by and take an active role in their lives.

Don't set out to WIN in divorce. Set out to survive. You will be married again within 5 years. I know you don't believe it, but that is what happens when you survive and get on with your life. BTW, girls who wouldn't spit on you when you were 20, will be chasing you down like you were Bobby Sherman (70's pop idol). Work out. Lose 10 lbs. Treat yourself well.

Let is settle down for a bit. Discuss the divorce and ask her to look into mediation with you. There is no reason to send two attorneys on a trip to Bora Bora on your backs next year. When you are both not pleased with the settlement, then it's a fair one. Good luck. $$$$
This post was edited on 2/10 3:37 PM by dollarbill

Simon, O'Brien, and Knapp in Morris Plains. Simon represented me. O'Brien is a RU Law grad. Speak to Ms O'Brien and tell her Jay referred you.
This post was edited on 2/10 4:32 PM by knightfan7

Interesting to see how different people would handle this situation. And how people jump to conclusions without knowing anything.

First thing I'd do is give her space w/out doing anything drastic. Definitely consult with some legal/financial experts as necessary to protect yourself, but you don't have to jump right to divorce unless you don't really care about her or the marriage.

Yeah, maybe she's met another guy, and that would suck. But if you are the controlling or smothering type, she might just want to get
away from you so she can think straight and it might not be another guy at all (hint: smothering/controlling guys can't always recognize or admit it to themselves - ask a friend who'll be honest with you).

If you do wind up getting divorced, you should follow the advice from those telling you to try to work things out yourselves if at all possible.

I got divorced a handful of years ago (in NJ) after being married for 18 years, having 3 kids, having a variety of financial things (variety of savings, 401Ks, stock options, a business, house, cars, etc, although no trusts).

We collected all the financial information and organized it. She got a lawyer to draft an initial agreement that addressed everything because it helps to have a starting point. Then she and I sat down together and worked out changes to that agreement, details, etc. Once we had it all worked out between us, I had the agreement reviewed by an attorney. My total cost was $385. Don't know hers exactly, but had to be less than $1000.

Ex wife and I are friends. We do family holidays together, our families still do things together, etc. To me, my ex, our kids and our extended families, we had the best divorce possible.

Or you can go the overly emotional, butt-hurt route. That usually creates lots of the wedge issues divorce attorney's thrive on. They will be more than happy to argue out every little detail for you at 300-400/hour. This route will cost you tens of thousands of dollars (at least) and you'll probably wind up with virtually the same outcome you would've had going the emotionless route.

Sorry you have to go through this, but try to tamp down the emotions, avoid being punitive (NJ divorce/family law doesn't provide much leeway for being punitive anyway). Protect yourself and be smart for the long run.

Originally posted by restartRU:
The Tony Soprano game of interviewing multiple attorneys doesn't fly in NJ anymore. And i'd recommend that you ask a bunch of friends and colleagues for recommendations rather some well intended anonymous posters.
I was suggesting that because taking someones word of a good attorney has cost me tens of thousands of dollars. I was suggesting he interview several attorneys so that he would be able to see what is a available and who he thinks would best serve his interests.

The guys that I know who have gone thru divorces came out fine if their spouse made the same or more than they did. The ones who were the bread winners got punished financially and it basically didn't matter whether the wife had an affair and left them or not. It is amazing that the laws are like this in 2015 as they are based upon the old standard of the man working and the woman staying home and raising the kids.

Good luck!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT