ADVERTISEMENT

OT: DMV for Real ID

My Real ID appointments were canceled 3 consecutive times over the last 2 years.
F the MVD .
not questioning but asking, how the heck do they cancel your appointment and what was their reason. The NJ DMV is a complete POS. Anything you need to do, you have to find one that does that specific need. The last time my wife and I had to use this appointment system was after we went to our local location, waited on line, found out you need an appointment and that they did not handle this specific DMV need. WTF
Made an appointment for the nearest DMV that did handle it- was only a 2 day wait but it was 75 miles away.

If they canceled it, would have gone ballistic and maybe been on the news lol

Reactions: CJ1987
Cheese sounds like the kinda guy who makes quick decisions.

Didn’t have to send those 1st years to the lumberyard, but felt he owed it to them…

I got it last year when I renewed my DL. If your license renewal doesn’t come til after the further delayed date just use your passport until your renewal date comes up.

I also believe a passport card works as a domestic travel ID, so you can use that also if you have one.

and not only that part but some countries or carriers require 6 months left on them in case you get stuck for a bit when outside the USA.
(I sailed my yacht to Bermuda this past summer and they wouldn't let me in without the additional time left on the PP).

most of this is true.
For some countries it’s only THREE months.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I just use my global entry card or passport. No real need for a Real ID if you have a passport...
That’s true but if you prefer not carrying those things around if you don’t need them then Real ID is good.

I always have my DL on me. I’d rather not carry extra important docs that could get lost or stolen if it’s not necessary.

Don't go to Elizabeth MVC unless you bring extra documentation. My wife went recently, brought everything required per the posted Point system on the MVC website but the Elizabeth MVC asked for addition documents (additional Points). They also indicated the MVC site instructions for points was incorrect. Which I highly doubt. My wife attempted to show them additional utility bills online via her phone but they made her leave to go find a place to print it and bring it back. When she came back she noticed they selectively allowed some people to show statements/bills via their phones and others turned away to get print copies
I like to get on the plane early, with the rest of the 1st class passengers. This way I can get a pre-departure beverage, ya know? As the rest of the passengers board I make sure to make eye contact and offer them encouraging words as they make their way back to coach. I'll also generally point out that Free Bourbon is the best bourdont go to Elizabeth MVC unless you bring extra documentation.

I like to bring my passport on vacation in case something goes sideways and I need to flee the country real fast. Gotta always plan ahead. Real ID not gonna help you then
I mean, when you think about it, it’s not a bad move.

Reactions: MulletCork
Made an appointment to get a Real ID because I fly quite a bit. I assumed, clearly incorrectly and quite stupidly, that them forcing you to make an appointment would mean it'd be a relatively quick excercise.

My gosh is the DMV a train wreck. Kilmer in Edison one is at least.
goto DMV is in more suburban areas... middlesex county as a whole is very diverse with immigrants.. if you go where there is less concentrated population you will do better. As @jakeknight example above confirms.

Reactions: Section124
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT