ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Grilling London Broil

I make them a lot, because its lean. I poke holes all through both sides with a fork, then marinate (usually in the jewish teriyaki marinade--that stuff is really good) for at least 24 hours. Then grill on a preheated grill at medium high heat (I shoot for about 450* with the door closed) to get one side nice and seared, anywhere from 7-9 minutes depending how thick it is. Don't open the grill during this time, just chuck it on and dont open the grill for 7 minutes. It should be about 2/3 of the way cooked at this point. Then flip it, let it go for 5 minutes. Again, don't open the grill. If its not done after 5 minutes, turn the grill down a bit and bring it up to temperature--145*. This method will work unless its really thin or really thick.

Similar to my method. Differences:
I use charcoal instead of gas. The temperature of my grill is about 500.

Instead of using a fork, buy a meat tenderizer (with blades, not the mallet style). I grill London Broil about once a week in the summer and it is worth the money. Tenderize the entire meat surface on one side. If you find you have a tough area, tenderize that area generously.

I do not marinate.

Use Kosher or Sea Salt. Put the broil on the grill and then grind the salt (about 3 turns) over the meat. After 7 minutes, flip the meat and salt the cooked side. After 7 minutes, remove from the grill.

Let the meat rest for about 5 minutes and slice thin.

No, he was talking about (grilling) London Broil. Someone brought up brisket as an alternative, but given how it's more expensive, takes way longer to cook and can't be grilled, it didn't seem like a very good alternative at all.

I can cook a ribeye or t-bone for about as much per/lb as a brisket, factoring in the cost of gas/wood.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/brisket...nsive-and-you-have-to-wait-in-line-1423180291
No you can't. At Sam's
ribeye is $9lb
T bone is $9 lb
London broil is $5.08 lb.
Brisket is 4.98

Are the other cuts of meat better. Yes, they are also double. When discussing cheap meat brisket is far superior in taste. Yes it takes longer to cook. Maybe it's becoming popular for a reason

No you can't. At Sam's
ribeye is $9lb
T bone is $9 lb
London broil is $5.08 lb.
Brisket is 4.98

Are the other cuts of meat better. Yes, they are also double. When discussing cheap meat brisket is far superior in taste. Yes it takes longer to cook. Maybe it's becoming popular for a reason

Yeah, I can.

Ribeyes/t-bones run $5 or $6/lb when on sale (regularly). And every once in a while, I can find $4/lb strips. Now, even if you want to get a sale price on brisket, consider the cost of running propane and shoveling wood for 15 hours, and my 10-minute steak dinner just came in under the budget of your all-day brisket, before even factoring in the value of your time (maybe not active, but you still have to be semi-tied to the home/deck when smoking all day).

Prime rib runs $5/lb regularly, too. Why would anyone ever spend $5/lb on brisket?

You're right about one thing, it is becoming popular for a reason: because people are dopes that jump on the next trendy thing without thinking. The folks that invented cheap brisket as a way of getting rid of sh%t meat no one would buy are laughing hysterically at today's Brooklyn hipster lining up to overpay for the worst piece of meat you can shave from the cow.

Cook london broil for only 4 minutes per side at about 500 degrees. Insert about 12 ambiens. Throw it over the fence. Wait 'til the guard dogs are out before scaling the fence....Once you've return from Lichtenstein with the proceeds from the stolen artwork, stop by a butcher shop and buy grass fed t-bone, sirloin, and porterhouse. No marinade, no frootloops. Eat steak like a man - grilled medium rare with salt and pepper, baked potato chives and sour cream, asparagus with butter. A cabernet - not too expensive, and a glass of ice water. A beautiful woman also helps with the digestion, unless she likes to talk about her day.

You cook it for 14 minutes? And you cook it to 145? You realize it's going to keep cooking after you take it off the heat, to as much as 160?

Why not just eat that dusty old catcher's mitt in your basement?

I get really thick prime sirloin from Costco, marinade it overnight (although marinade isn't really needed), take it out of the fridge 90 minutes before cooking, then, right before putting it on a 700 degree grill, press some sea salt into it, sometimes some fresh ground pepper if I feel like it.

Then slap it down, cook for about 90 seconds over a sear burner, flip it and cook for 90 more seconds, then turn the heat down to medium and do another 2 to 3 minutes on each side and it's done. Total cook time of 5-7 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes at least under some foil before cutting it. Nice cool center, evenly rare throughout.

Mmmmmm.

Grills are different; telling people time is generally useless. That's why I said cook to 145*. But, if you cook a thick london broil in a 450* grill, it is going to take more than 7 minutes. You are getting your grill way hotter than that, probably closer to 600 with the sear burner on.

A cut as small as a london broil won't internally rise more than 2 or 3 degrees after you take it off the heat if you let it sit uncovered on a plate. Use an instant read thermometer if you don't believe me. Even a 20lb turkey will only come up maybe 10 degrees

All of these debates come down to the fact that if cooked properly lots of stuff is really, really tasty. But a lot of people don't know what they are doing, so they think things are really bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: FanuSanu52
Yeah, but how much did you pay per lb and what the hell is jewish teriyaki sauce?

This one -- Soy Vay Kosher Teriyaki:

And while we are plugging products, if you cannot make a london broil that is cooked to your liking, or if you just want to become better on the grill or in the kitchen, invest $75 in a Thermapen (its literally the most useful tool ever for not ruining meat):

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Well, I try to avoid Texans, so I'll miss half those interactions.

Plus, I'll eat brisket, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of time making it when there are much better alternatives.

Brisket is a fairly inexpensive cut of meat. And it's not like you're standing over it while it cooks. It's hands off. Btw, no one suggested cooking a brisket on a propane grill. That's stupid. Smoker or oven or smoker/oven combo. There is nothing you could do with a London broil that could compare to a well cooked brisket. I'd gladly pay an extra buck or 2 / lb for something that melts in my mouth.

Reactions: vkj91
And while we are plugging products, if you cannot make a london broil that is cooked to your liking, or if you just want to become better on the grill or in the kitchen, invest $75 in a Thermapen (its literally the most useful tool ever for not ruining meat):

Is this only available online? Funny, when I go to the Amazon link I get a list of all the cheap knock-off competitors.

Name them.

Also, "trendy" does not equal "good".

Meat - particularly beef - requires high temperature cooking to properly break down fat cells and bring out the correct flavor notes.

You're wrong on this...lol.

Every restaurant in America, above an arbitrary cut off of say 3 stars, sous vide's something on the menu. It's not boiled, that's precisely the point of the equipment.

To the OP...if you marinate anything in teriyaki sauce or 48-72 hours, you're gonna end up something with the texture of beef jerky. If that something started off as the deplorable LoBro, you're gonna end up something slightly tougher than a tractor trailer tire.

Every restaurant in America, above an arbitrary cut off of say 3 stars, sous vide's something on the menu. It's not boiled, that's precisely the point of the equipment.

Don't encourage her. Doing so invites more contact with known SFCSs.

Brisket is a fairly inexpensive cut of meat. And it's not like you're standing over it while it cooks. It's hands off. Btw, no one suggested cooking a brisket on a propane grill. That's stupid. Smoker or oven or smoker/oven combo. There is nothing you could do with a London broil that could compare to a well cooked brisket. I'd gladly pay an extra buck or 2 / lb for something that melts in my mouth.

I didn't accuse anyone of saying to cook it over the grill, although you could smoke it in one if pressed.

And there is something that you can do to make a London broil compare well to a brisket: take inventory of both the time and money spent.

Perfectly marinated and grilled London broil: 30 minutes of actual cooking/prep time, including making a marinade from scratch.

Brisket: all friggin' day. (No, you're not hovering over the smoker all day, but it might keep you from leaving the house and doing what you would otherwise be doing. Plus time = money (gas, wood).

You can figure out prices locally, but like I said, I can cook a nice steak for cheaper than a brisket, pound for pound. Enjoy what you like, but the OP wasn't asking for bad alternative suggestions; he already has the London broil marinating in his fridge.

I didn't accuse anyone of saying to cook it over the grill, although you could smoke it in one if pressed.

And there is something that you can do to make a London broil compare well to a brisket: take inventory of both the time and money spent.

Perfectly marinated and grilled London broil: 30 minutes of actual cooking/prep time, including making a marinade from scratch.

Brisket: all friggin' day. (No, you're not hovering over the smoker all day, but it might keep you from leaving the house and doing what you would otherwise be doing. Plus time = money (gas, wood).

You can figure out prices locally, but like I said, I can cook a nice steak for cheaper than a brisket, pound for pound. Enjoy what you like, but the OP wasn't asking for bad alternative suggestions; he already has the London broil marinating in his fridge.

White bread?

Reactions: FanuSanu52

To the OP...if you marinate anything in teriyaki sauce or 48-72 hours, you're gonna end up something with the texture of beef jerky. If that something started off as the deplorable LoBro, you're gonna end up something slightly tougher than a tractor trailer tire.

True, but to have a sous vid machine in your home kitchen is not practical, even for someone who cooks regularly. They're very $$, time consuming, and difficult to squeeze into a daily menu.

True, but to have a sous vid machine in your home kitchen is not practical, even for someone who cooks regularly. They're very $$, time consuming, and difficult to squeeze into a daily menu.

Maybe, maybe not.

I'm not arguing that.

Just was commented on whether or not they are pervasive in pro kitchens (they are) and whether or not they produce a superior product (they do).

Time, fine, I can see that. But money? $2-3 worth of charcoal and $1 worth of hickory chips? I can loan you if you need. Or better yet, if you tried my smoked brisket, you'd surly change you mind about that "trash" cut of meat you detest.

Reactions: ruhudsonfan
Anyone cooking a good cut of meat over propane should be lined up and repeatedly kicked in the nuts.

Silly myth.

We were talking about brisket - since you're probably not using a whole log smoker, which barely exist on the consumer market, you're using either propane or electric to heat and smoke that wood. I prefer big wood chunks over propane flame vs electric, and we just don't live in a world where electric is considered optimal for cooking meat.

If you put a wood chip smoker box on a propane grill, your meat will taste better than plain charcoal all day, and with less effort and mess.

Charcoal + wood chips = smoker. Easy. Cheap.
I've also wised to the fact that a piece of meat doesn't need to stay in a smoker all day. Once my coals cool down (2-3 hours), I finish in a low oven.

Silly myth.

We were talking about brisket - since you're probably not using a whole log smoker, which barely exist on the consumer market, you're using either propane or electric to heat and smoke that wood. I prefer big wood chunks over propane flame vs electric, and we just don't live in a world where electric is considered optimal for cooking meat.

If you put a wood chip smoker box on a propane grill, your meat will taste better than plain charcoal all day, and with less effort and mess.

I beg to differ with this

I have an offset barrel smoker.

I burn a combo of regular charcoal, wood chunk charcoal, whole wood chunks and wood chips when I smoke a whole muscle cut like shoulders or brisket.

Is it convenient? No, not in the least. Have I sat up all night tending the fire for a midday party the next day? Sure have. It's one of my hobbies, so I don't mind it.

There is no comparison between doing the way I do and placing a chip smoke box over a propane heat element.

I'm not factoring efficiency into the equation--just pure flavor.

Time, fine, I can see that. But money? $2-3 worth of charcoal and $1 worth of hickory chips? I can loan you if you need. Or better yet, if you tried my smoked brisket, you'd surly change you mind about that "trash" cut of meat you detest.

I didn't say I detest it; I just don't make it. As I already said, propane + wood is my reference. Propane at $20/tank and wood chunks at $10 a bag. Since brisket itself runs the same or a little cheaper than steak, and takes a much bigger bite out of that propane and wood, I'll go steak.

Charcoal + wood chips = smoker. Easy. Cheap.
I've also wised to the fact that a piece of meat doesn't need to stay in a smoker all day. Once my coals cool down (2-3 hours), I finish in a low oven.

Yeah, I'll take the quickness and easy temperature adjustment of propane since the big flavor is coming from the wood, anyway. I smoke year-round, and being able to ignite with the flip of a dial is nice in the winter. Also nice is not having to finish in the oven because my coals cooled down too much.

There really should be a "Never-ending Lo-Bro Thread" thread. Or something like that. [thumb2]

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Silly myth.

I use a Big Green Egg (kamado style grill) and lump charcoal for almost any grilling and all the meat/fish/cheese that I smoke. If i'm just grilling up a couple of dogs or burgers I'll break out the Weber and use charcoal briquettes.

I burn a combo of regular charcoal, wood chunk charcoal, whole wood chunks and wood chips when I smoke a whole muscle cut like shoulders or brisket.

Is it convenient? No, not in the least. Have I sat up all night tending the fire for a midday party the next day? Sure have. It's one of my hobbies, so I don't mind it.

There is no comparison between doing the way I do and placing a chip smoke box over a propane heat element.

To clarify, the chip box was for grilling alone, not smoking. Propane grill smoking is not great, but I use a propane smoker with wood chunks (chips burn too quickly) and it works beautifully ... and easily.

As a hobby, I can see the attraction, but to say you can't smoke with anything but charcoal is silly.

Meh. If you want flavor AND efficiency, just don't cook the meat at all. Nothing better than raw filet mignon sliced thin w/a little pepper and olive oil.

100% spot on. I also use this. Comes in handy especially while doing those overnight sessions with a couple of pork butts. The alarm wakes me if the grill temp goes out of the range I want it to be at.

Reactions: ruhudsonfan
I use a Big Green Egg (kamado style grill) and lump charcoal for almost any grilling and all the meat/fish/cheese that I smoke. If i'm just grilling up a couple of dogs or burgers I'll break out the Weber and use charcoal briquettes.

If we want to nitpick, charcoal starts off in second place, despite folks that scream about how it's the only way to grill.

Wood >> charcoal. I have a wood deck grill and campground-style firepit in the ground if I want to spend time grilling the best way. Propane is much easier and quicker for all the other times, and wood chips can close the flavor gap. I have a charcoal grill, but it doesn't get used much.

If we want to nitpick, charcoal starts off in second place, despite folks that scream about how it's the only way to grill.

Wood >> charcoal. I have a wood deck grill and campground-style firepit in the ground if I want to spend time grilling the best way. Propane is much easier and quicker for all the other times, and wood chips can close the flavor gap. I have a charcoal grill, but it doesn't get used much.
I would agree that wood is better, no doubt. I do give some concessions with my grilling and that's one of them, i'll just throw some chunks of whatever type of wood on the lump charcoal. Seems to work reasonably well.

I would agree that wood is better, no doubt. I do give some concessions with my grilling and that's one of them, i'll just throw some chunks of whatever type of wood on the lump charcoal. Seems to work reasonably well.

Definitely works well like that - and easier than messing around with the smoker box on propane elements.

I can still taste the wood-tinged cheeseburgers my dad used to cook on a little, portable charcoal grill with cherry chips sprinkled on the coals, and that's a solid 25 years ago.

Reactions: RUpop
Grills are different; telling people time is generally useless. That's why I said cook to 145*. But, if you cook a thick london broil in a 450* grill, it is going to take more than 7 minutes. You are getting your grill way hotter than that, probably closer to 600 with the sear burner on.

A cut as small as a london broil won't internally rise more than 2 or 3 degrees after you take it off the heat if you let it sit uncovered on a plate. Use an instant read thermometer if you don't believe me. Even a 20lb turkey will only come up maybe 10 degrees

All of these debates come down to the fact that if cooked properly lots of stuff is really, really tasty. But a lot of people don't know what they are doing, so they think things are really bad.
But 145 is still way, way overdone before it even post-cooks up 1 degree. I'm thinking like take it off at 95 degrees. Yum. There's no reason to cook the inside of the cut at all. All the e coli is on the outside. It's a steak, not a burger.

I cook my steaks and burgers (to start with) at about 700 degrees, while searing them. Then lower the temp a bit after both sides are seared. But the sear process only takes like 90 seconds per side. After that, it's just a matter of how rare I want it. I admit that if I'm cooking for a group outside my family, I'll make it closer to medium since not everybody's the same degree of carnivore I am.

Got to admit we need to treat opposing fans as harsh as our own when debating the merits of our cuts of beef....

and by the way,,,,the Soy vey sauce is really really good.

It is the officlal 24 hour marinade used for Shack's kick ass terriayki pinalpple filet mignon skewers/kebobs regularly served as appitizers at big RU home games...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT