ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Guitar / Guitarist Appreciation Thread

Any of you humps ever built a guitar?
No, but I know you can buy kits for both electric and acoustics online and you basically just do assembly. Or you can go from scratch but that’d be beyond my skill set. I had a custom acoustic built once and visited the luthier’s shop a few times during the built. It was really interesting and gave me even more appreciation of their craftsmanship.

No, but I know you can buy kits for both electric and acoustics online and you basically just do assembly. Or you can go from scratch but that’d be beyond my skill set. I had a custom acoustic built once and visited the luthier’s shop a few times during the built. It was really interesting and gave me even more appreciation of their craftsmanship.
Yeah I was bored this winter so decided to build a Barncaster/Partscaster Tele. Was a lot of fun. Now if I didn't suck at PLAYING guitar...

Knotty pine body, roasted maple neck, relic-ed hardware, license plate pick guard, bottle opener.

No one else?

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Yeah I was bored this winter so decided to build a Barncaster/Partscaster Tele. Was a lot of fun. Now if I didn't suck at PLAYING guitar...

Knotty pine body, roasted maple neck, relic-ed hardware, license plate pick guard, bottle opener.

No one else?
Keep playing. Find songs you love and work on them—that’s always been a great motivational path for me. Nothing better than nailing a song you love.

Reactions: RUScrew85

No one else?
Not yet, but it's on my long term list to make one for/with my son.

Come on, you know the drill.
Pics, Or it didn't happen...

VElRjzr.jpg
p4Rm9HZ.jpg
wmqJnSF.jpg
DCunmzO.jpg

OK so here's the deal. I really liked the color of a pair of faded jeans. Was able to find the blue I liked in a Rit Dye. The blue and the blue red in the flag are Rit Dye, the white is a white stain. The clear coat is a matte Crylon. I refinished the gloss roasted maple neck in a semi gloss. Gloss was too shiney for the matt body of a Barncaster.

I really liked the blue and the roasted maple combination.

I also rally liked my PRS SE that is only painted on the top so I masked off and left natural the sides and back.

Then I found the Texas plate, thought the colors really worked and decided to make it into the pickguard.

With the combination really looking good to me I decided to add the Texas flag on the back and a bottle opener.

That finished out the Texas theme.

I used Fender Texas Special pickups, Fender relic-ed hardware in keeping with the Barncaster look.

Total cost about $900. Yep. $900 for a homemade guitar. Coulda bought a real American made Tele for that. But for me it was more about the project - it was a lot of fun.

ETA: I have some old barbed wire and a replica Texas Rangers badge I'm thinking of putting on the front but am holding off for now. I'm scared of ruining it making it too busy.

Last edited:
VElRjzr.jpg
p4Rm9HZ.jpg
wmqJnSF.jpg
DCunmzO.jpg

OK so here's the deal. I really liked the color of a pair of faded jeans. Was able to find the blue I liked in a Rit Dye. The blue and the blue red in the flag are Rit Dye, the white is a white stain. The clear coat is a matte Crylon. I refinished the gloss roasted maple neck in a semi gloss. Gloss was too shiney for the matt body of a Barncaster.

I also rally liked my PRS SE that is only painted on the top so I masked off and left natural the sides and back.

Then I found the Texas plate, thought the colors really worked and decided to make it into the pickguard.

With the combination really looking good to me I decided to add the Texas flag on the back and a bottle opener.

I used Fender Texas Special pickups, Fender relic-ed hardware in keeping with the Barncaster look.

Total cost about $900. Yep. $900 for a homemade guitar. Coulda bought a real American made Tele for that. But for me it was more about the project - it was a lot of fun.
Pretty cool Mr. Screw!

• Love
VElRjzr.jpg
p4Rm9HZ.jpg
wmqJnSF.jpg
DCunmzO.jpg

Looks fantastic! How does it sound?

Reactions: Jm0513
VElRjzr.jpg
p4Rm9HZ.jpg
wmqJnSF.jpg
DCunmzO.jpg

You gotta practice up so you can play that beauty on Austin City Limits !

I'm actually a drummer, although I can play guitar at a fairly basic level (or could when I was doing it all the time). Started taking drum lessons in second grade. Got my first drum set in fourth grade after a lot of unseemly begging of, and false promises to, my parents. Studied with Joe Morello (of Dave Brubeck "Take Five" fame) for a while in HS.

Unfortunately, I rarely make the time to play anymore. Which kind of sucks because it's one of only a couple/few things in life I have been pretty good at.

So anyway, all I can contribute to the thread is a deep appreciation for great music and musicians.
very interesting. I had no idea . Same with me except the lessons part. I was band President in High School and played drums for everything. Concerts, Shows, etc. I actually quit the football team my frosh year because I was going to major in music. But the one time I won an award as part of a band for a talent show was playing rhythm guitar lol (my father's 50's Fender Stratocaster).

Last edited:
Reactions: mildone
I’ll always be partial to Duane Allman and Dickey Betts, Dickey I got to know pretty well in Bradenton FL,.
Always will love the standard guys Clapton, Page, Beck, Hendrix and Stevie Ray.
Don’t forget our own Billy Hector from the great state of NJ😊
and then there's Zappa himself. He was seriously good.

Reactions: Kbee3
As always, you're extraordinarily wrong on Ringo. Best band in history and he played the drums exactly as needed to support those amazing songs without overwhelming them in any way. A huge number of fantastic drummers disagree with your assessment, i.e., you're wrong. :>)

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/sep/19/ringo-starr-great-drummer-the-beatles-genius
LOL. You put 100 drummers in a room and ask them to name the worst drummer and it would be a 50-50 tie between Ringo and the late Charlie Watts of the Stones.

I actually taught my kids to grow responsible but never grow up. For me, it means trying to retain our child-like enthusiasm for stuff while being responsible about working hard, being healthy, and being considerate of others.
Wow . Catching up on things this morning and you're like knocking it out of the park lately. All these replies to you are probably getting weird so I'll just stop now). Carry on. The board needs more of this .

Three to consider.
Richie Haven's (hey the guy could play guitar with just his thumb ...and why I'm joking on this one)
John Meyer. Just give him a listen some time.
Steve Hackett (from early Genesis pre- And Then There Where Three). Going to see him this Friday in Collingswood.

Not only am I a bad beginner guitarist. I can't sing to save my life. So no. Never.
Really nice job, from one bad beginner guitarist to another. btw, I had a PRS SE 245 that I traded in on a Strat. I really liked the guitar and would have kept it if I could justify having two.

Really nice job, from one bad beginner guitarist to another. btw, I had a PRS SE 245 that I traded in on a Strat. I really liked the guitar and would have kept it if I could justify having two.

I started with an used Mexistrat I bough 10 years ago and only used for a couple of weeks. Went back to that and then bought myself the Custom 24 SE to reward myself for trying for an entire year.

I REALLY like the PRS.

Reactions: 29PAS
I started with an used Mexistrat I bough 10 years ago and only used for a couple of weeks. Went back to that and then bought myself the Custom 24 SE to reward myself for trying for an entire year.

I REALLY like the PRS.

bought yourself??? I thought you said you won that in a contest!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 29PAS and RUScrew85
Three to consider.
Richie Haven's (hey the guy could play guitar with just his thumb ...and why I'm joking on this one)
John Meyer. Just give him a listen some time.
Steve Hackett (from early Genesis pre- And Then There Where Three). Going to see him this Friday in Collingswood.
I actually like Richie Haven’s sort of unique playing and singing style. He played almost exclusively in “Open D” tuning so major chords were played with a thumb or finger across the specific fret. This allowed him to use his thumb over the top for major chords. Of course, other types of chords required different fingering that is different from “Standard Tuning.” Lots of blues players frequently use alternative tuning such as Open D or G (often with a slide).

I actually like Richie Haven’s sort of unique playing and singing style. He played almost exclusively in “Open D” tuning so major chords were played with a thumb or finger across the specific fret. This allowed him to use his thumb over the top for major chords. Of course, other types of chords required different fingering that is different from “Standard Tuning.” Lots of blues players frequently use alternative tuning such as Open D or G (often with a slide).
Don't get me wrong. I very much enjoy his music. Saw him years ago at the state theater in Easton.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Very cool. For some reason I'm most impressed with the bottle opener. Maybe because I can drink beer but can't play guitar. Was that your idea or did you see it on another guitar?

Very cool. For some reason I'm most impressed with the bottle opener. Maybe because I can drink beer but can't play guitar. Was that your idea or did you see it on another guitar?

It's kinda a Barncaster thing. Bolt crazy shit one one. I didn't realize Epiphone really does this.

Pretty sure I've seen it on other Barncasters.

Reach down between songs and pop one open.

Here's one from the internet, different opener. I was going to use one of them but felt the other was a better fit.

hezgw3hqskjy36tilwrk.jpg

Never heard of a Barncaster before. My son plays bass and has a Fender P Bass relic (new bass made to look used). His 2018 Fender bass relic looks older than his 1970's Univox bass.

Never heard of a Barncaster before. My son plays bass and has a Fender P Bass relic (new bass made to look used). His 2018 Fender bass relic looks older than his 1970's Univox bass.
Yeah that relic thing is big now. I don't understand why I want to spend top dollar on a new Fender for example and have it delivered beat to shit.

I'll take my new guitars shiny please.

I played bass for years as a teen into my 20s.

If anyone is ever looking for some cheap tryout guitars that are pretty good them Monoprice is decent.
I bought a Les Paul because I liked the sound and the look
Then I realized its hard to get comfortable with when sitting (Les Paul himself used to keep it on his left leg and not right).
I tried a Strat from Monoprice just for spits and giggles and I liked it
The action was good, it stays in tune etc
Now I know why so many people like Strats
Lots of people on Youtube happy with their Monos

If anyone is ever looking for some cheap tryout guitars that are pretty good them Monoprice is decent.
I bought a Les Paul because I liked the sound and the look
Then I realized its hard to get comfortable with when sitting (Les Paul himself used to keep it on his left leg and not right).
I tried a Strat from Monoprice just for spits and giggles and I liked it
The action was good, it stays in tune etc
Now I know why so many people like Strats
Lots of people on Youtube happy with their Monos

Can't go wrong for those prices. I think I paid $250 for my Mexi-Strat used.

Reactions: ashokan
Anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/features/series/gs-mini

I was thinking of getting a beginner acoustic but want something small. Like for on the couch.
Taylor makes a nice guitar and are reasonably priced. I bought my daughter a Big Baby model, which is small but decent sounding. I’ve played models in the 300 and 700 series and liked them too. Taylor’s are playable, at least those I’ve tried. Yea, I wouldn’t get a larger dreadnaught. A smaller one like the Academy Series would be a great choice for a first acoustic. The Big Baby is fine too but the GS would sound better and be about as easy to play. You might try them out before buying.Good luck!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT